2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

I wonder if we will start seeing any transfer rumours or even signings over the weekend now we have a Head Coach?

I feel we need a striker but I think it might have to be a PL loan, I wonder if DM had lined anyone up through his contacts.

At least one midfielder that will be competition for BB, GB and WV.

A centre half that can command the rest of the back line.

Be interesting to know what kind of formations XM favours, might provide us with understanding of where the attention will be.

I wonder also if we might now see some outgoings. eg Bakinson 

6 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I wonder if we will start seeing any transfer rumours or even signings over the weekend now we have a Head Coach?

I feel we need a striker but I think it might have to be a PL loan, I wonder if DM had lined anyone up through his contacts.

At least one midfielder that will be competition for BB, GB and WV.

A centre half that can command the rest of the back line.

Be interesting to know what kind of formations XM favours, might provide us with understanding of where the attention will be.

I wonder also if we might now see some outgoings. eg Bakinson 

You mean like is mentioned on the manager thread.

18 hours ago, DLO said:

Seen a link to a young Liverpool left back, Luke Chambers, he spent last season on loan at Kilmarnock, anyone know if he's any good, or whether there is anything in the link?

Part of England's Euro u19 winning squad. Did well enough at Killi for Bayer Leverkusen to want to buy him but Klopp says he's having a full pre season with Liverpool's first team squad before a decision is made to keep him, loan him, or move him on. 

19 hours ago, DLO said:

Seen a link to a young Liverpool left back, Luke Chambers, he spent last season on loan at Kilmarnock, anyone know if he's any good, or whether there is anything in the link?

I was talking to my auld man about him earlier.

Neither of us can remember anything about him.

Usually, players who come up here on loan, especially youngsters, they tend to stick in your mind. The laddie Clarkson at Aberdeen for example. Ellis Simms at Hearts during the previous season. James Maddison at Aberdeen a while ago.

But Luke Chambers? Nothing. No memory of him whatsoever.

Very strange.

Haven't seen his name linked with us so far.

In truth, I forgot he was still a Celtic player until a couple of days ago. The only thing the report said was that Sturm Graz wouldn't be signing him on a permanent deal because they'd signed some other bloke.

Celtic paid a reasonable fee for him (£5m?). I'm not convinced they'd let him go on the cheap. Unless, of course, they're just desperate to get rid of him and his wages!

6 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Haven't seen his name linked with us so far.

In truth, I forgot he was still a Celtic player until a couple of days ago. The only thing the report said was that Sturm Graz wouldn't be signing him on a permanent deal because they'd signed some other bloke.

Celtic paid a reasonable fee for him (£5m?). I'm not convinced they'd let him go on the cheap. Unless, of course, they're just desperate to get rid of him and his wages!

The striker is Szymon Włodarczyk, "The new Lewandowski" & they're gonna sign Max Johnston too.

Edited by trevorfrancistracksuit

3 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Is he coming in as a number 2?

If he's coming then he'll at least be given the opportunity to challenge for the shirt. 

I know it's the Star but the write up says he's fed up with always playing second fiddle, so can't see him coming to us without at least the assurance to challenge 

37 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Deeney is still mobile enough to play the lone forward role, even at 35. 

As for Carlton's 11 in 54 stat for Birmingham. He scored 10 of those in his 34 starts so that's 1 every 3.4 games when he starts. 

I think Deeney would be ok in that role. Definitely better than Smith. I'd be happy with him for a season 

Interesting. Even if he couldn’t do the running any longer I think a lot of fans are under estimating the quality he had in terms of that ability to get the ball out of his feet quickly and strike the ball cleanly. Gary Hooper wasn’t the fittest or the best in the air but had some quality control and shooting and adapted his game to find those areas between midfield and attack, like Mcgoldrick did too. He’s not come across well on various podcasts though in terms of being the big I am, so if there’s any of that it’s not worth it 

6 hours ago, TheExile said:

Interesting. Even if he couldn’t do the running any longer I think a lot of fans are under estimating the quality he had in terms of that ability to get the ball out of his feet quickly and strike the ball cleanly. Gary Hooper wasn’t the fittest or the best in the air but had some quality control and shooting and adapted his game to find those areas between midfield and attack, like Mcgoldrick did too. He’s not come across well on various podcasts though in terms of being the big I am, so if there’s any of that it’s not worth it 

Shame he's a fucking **** who served time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheExile said:

Interesting that you say that. I heard him on Louis Theroux’s and thought he came across as very intelligent, humble and contrite.

I was ready to really dislike him, but came away with a different opinion of him.

Edited by cheat

Its very slow in the recruitment market seemingly for a few clubs. 

Was on about this with a fella at work and sure clubs hold off to save a few weeks wages in some respects.

Players now are a lot fitter and generally don't need flogging for a month to get them to a position where they can start a 'normal' level of training.  

7 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Its very slow in the recruitment market seemingly for a few clubs. 

Was on about this with a fella at work and sure clubs hold off to save a few weeks wages in some respects.

Players now are a lot fitter and generally don't need flogging for a month to get them to a position where they can start a 'normal' level of training.  

Some players will also wait as late in the window as they can before signing. Especially the ones who have options.

That said, I was under the impression that we had a list of targets for this league. Either we didn’t actually have a list, or Munoz has taken a look and said he didn’t fancy any of that.

Our recruitment will clearly go right up to the end of the window. We are even missing technical staff.

Just now, KrolMong said:

Some players will also wait as late in the window as they can before signing. Especially the ones who have options.

That said, I was under the impression that we had a list of targets for this league. Either we didn’t actually have a list, or Munoz has taken a look and said he didn’t fancy any of that.

Our recruitment will clearly go right up to the end of the window. We are even missing technical staff.

The new manager will work with the list, or summat….

11 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Missing technical staff.

We are missing players with technical ability

8 hours ago, cheat said:

Interesting that you say that. I heard him on Louis Theroux’s and thought he came across as very intelligent, humble and contrite.

I was ready to really dislike him, but came away with a different opinion of him.

I’ve seen him come across ok on other occasions. Not sure what the pod was but maybe the fact they were all total bell ends on it that it brought the worst out of him. 

Edited by TheExile

Been a bit of a Twitter meltdown about us not signing Reagan Poole but I’m not convinced he’s even that good? Would’ve been a sound budget option at a good age in that machine like system Moore had working very effectively but he’s neither a traditional CB or a modern RB and needs to play in a back 3 I reckon. As suggested above I suspect that recruitment list will be changing based on what we’ve just seen second half at chesterfield with a lot of passing out from the back. 

12 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Been a bit of a Twitter meltdown about us not signing Reagan Poole but I’m not convinced he’s even that good? Would’ve been a sound budget option at a good age in that machine like system Moore had working very effectively but he’s neither a traditional CB or a modern RB and needs to play in a back 3 I reckon. As suggested above I suspect that recruitment list will be changing based on what we’ve just seen second half at chesterfield with a lot of passing out from the back. 

Really? It's any excuse these days with our nob head fan base. He was hardly Franco Baresi, he's signed for Portsmouth. If we'd signed him they'd all have been moaning he wasn't good enough as no-one in the Championship wanted him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Really? It's any excuse these days with our nob head fan base. He was hardly Franco Baresi, he's signed for Portsmouth. If we'd signed him they'd all have been moaning he wasn't good enough as no-one in the Championship wanted him

I think he became the embodiment of what many want to see which is younger players with EFL experience with some resale value and he was free. Perhaps a bit of a Kieran Lee effect given hes ex Man U. But as you say if he was that good someone else in this league would have probably signed him, or Kane wilson, Joe ward, etc. The Twitter analysts even pointed out how poor his stats were but it kind of got ignored as Lincoln loved him and they kept a lot of clean sheets. He might be decent but i think it’s got blown out of proportion as a sign of us not having signed new players with him rumoured to be waiting in the wings, or a sign that targets have changed but they clearly need to with a different system now.

Xisco this evening saying he’s got loads of players to look at but they need to be better than what we have. Not sure whether Poole is, just younger!

• Like 1

The Poole ‘fallout’ wasn’t that bad online. As always there’s some opinionated folks, like there is with everything a football club does. 
I think he would have been a decent addition, but he’s far from Bobby Moore.

I think people are getting irate because we’ve not signed anyone yet more than anything. But, there’s time, and as we’ve already alluded to on here it’s not like players are moving all over the place and we’re getting left behind. 

if we’ve not got anyone in, in 3 weeks time, then I’d understand the panic!

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

People forget how much going up via the play offs can hinder clubs as you're 3 weeks behind minimum not to mention we've had a change of manager. I'm pretty relaxed about it all.

Me too to be honest. As I say, if we get to the kick off and we’ve not brought anyone in, then some of the flapping is justified 

19 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Former Plymouth and current Ipswich Town midfielder, Panutche Camará, is someone we’re apparently very interested in.

We were linked with him before he went to Ipswich.

Injury ridden season limiting him to four games - sounds like our sort of signing!