2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

He should rip that league apart. He could/should be playing higher but this is where money comes into non league football.

Basford have some serious backing behind them at the moment and big plans. They've upgraded the infrastructure and playing surfaces and they have a full time academy, with a link to a local college, and a massive junior section. The lower aspects of the club are self sufficient leaving the sponsorship and backing to be solely focused on the first team. 

19 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Rumour. 
Scott Twine. 

I don’t get this to be honest (not the Scott Twine bit) - how can we realistically be linked with any players just now when we don’t have a manager? 

He might not fancy any of the players we might be ‘looking at’ behind the scenes, or who DM might have wanted/shortlisted.

It’s not the greatest position to be in as a club right now, is it?

2 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

I don’t get this to be honest (not the Scott Twine bit) - how can we realistically be linked with any players just now when we don’t have a manager? 

He might not fancy any of the players we might be ‘looking at’ behind the scenes, or who DM might have wanted/shortlisted.

We’ve got a ‘list’ of players apparently Bells, that have been identified already and DC said in midweek along the lines of… The list is the list and the manager will be aware of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellsview said:

No.

It's pretty simple really, DC has spelt it out. The manager does not pick the players, at best he contributes to the discussion.

Read Soccernomics, bit out of date now but really sets out the modern approach. 

You have a squad of players 

A head coach comes in to manage that squad of players

If the head coach isn't performing you get rid of him, not the players.

1 hour ago, Laceups said:

Would you sign for a club not knowing who your manager will be?

Basically we need to get sorted and appoint someone this week.

Please not Paul Ince 😬

Apart from its a head coach these days not manager 

So no you wouldn't come with uncertainty surrounding who your coach will be, but players presumably grasp the idea, that they come to play for a Club not a Manager these days.

Eg players will join Brentford because of the culture promoted, less that Thomas Frank is the manager 

Edited by mkowlthesexynewversion

Whilst we have a pretty crude way of doing it and without a formal Sporting Director it’s quite common for potential targets to be dealt with by people other than the manager ie club rather than manager targets. Hopefully someones speaking to players and agents otherwise we are Donald ducked for the free agents 

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Question.

Would losing Smith and Gregory to sign Moreleos and Twine (Loan) be a step forward?

On paper of course but neither of those two new boys would give you the option smith does (hard work, physicality, aerial presence in both boxes) which is always handy in any league IMO. Don’t think smith will be first choice but hopefully we keep hold or get someone similar 

9 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Chiedozie Ogbene agreed deal with Luton Town

Cant understand this one.... if it was another championship club fair enough, but Luton surely would be aiming higher.

Imagine some fans of theirs may be underwhelmed by this.

1 hour ago, Delseeds said:

Cant understand this one.... if it was another championship club fair enough, but Luton surely would be aiming higher.

Imagine some fans of theirs may be underwhelmed by this.

He's a freebie for a squad place. I doubt he'll start much, apart from their cup games, and he gets to put Premier League on his CV. 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Us, Plymouth, and Millwall are sniffing round Huddersfield's Josh Koroma who's stalling on signing a new contract and is a free agent on July 1st

I always thought he was half decent. Then again, I thought Russell, who went to the Dingles and came on in the playoff final was too. but... What the fook do I know!?