2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-boss-makes-final-decision-on-free-agents-for-championship-survival-run-4555343?fbclid=IwAR1F2WrGiwwdElc1xxLj3Mrdn3o48gD7qX2INHqXjhiR_Rv3deFq4AprbPE

Good to hear this bit too .....

"Of course I’m looking for players for the new season, "

Also the OS site training pics for the Ipswich game shows Hendrick involved. 

Does anyone know what the rules are for the work permit waivers? What are the work permit rules once players are already here?

Will the players on them last season now qualify for work permits this year, allowing us another 4 or will they still be on the waivers.

Any player playing 40% of minutes for us this season auto qualifies for a permit with 15 points, bit what happens to the likes of Delgado, who will lose his international autopsy due to injury or Momo who won't get the 40%?

20 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Does anyone know what the rules are for the work permit waivers? What are the work permit rules once players are already here?

Will the players on them last season now qualify for work permits this year, allowing us another 4 or will they still be on the waivers.

Any player playing 40% of minutes for us this season auto qualifies for a permit with 15 points, bit what happens to the likes of Delgado, who will lose his international autopsy due to injury or Momo who won't get the 40%?

"autopsy"?   Kinnell!  No-one said he was that bad!  

Don't know.

It's more about whether the ones brought in on a waiver can be upgraded to a full work permit so we can get another 4 on waivers.

They'd need 1656 minutes for the 40% required for 15 points to get a work permit, but is it different if you're already here?

As it stands Gassama and Momo wouldn't qualify, so would they need to stay on waiver, or is there something in place for players already here?

12 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Saw this on social media. Tbf it does have a big caveat attached to it.

Id be surprised if some of the individual numbers are correct

image.thumb.jpeg.5c0a28658bf280ad05aa801ce7ef0732.jpeg

Ffs 

So Plymouths entire squad is on an avg of £2k per week 

Edited by Andyben

Can’t see Poveda being on that and you’d assume we will be paying quite a slice of his actual wages.

I doubt we are that high up the wages table but I also think we are higher up than the 1867 group would let anyone think DC has agreed to.

Overall it seems a lot of poor guesswork 

What percentage of total salaries goes on player wages?

So if we spent £14 million last year on total wages and salaries, up £4 million from the year before, how much of that was on first team playing staff?

Surely it's more than 2/3 of it, and we must be paying more this season as we kept all of our high earners, so it will be higher than the Capology thing?

35 minutes ago, mkowl said:

This doesn't scan back to your previous comments that we have the 4th lowest wage bill, which IIRC are a well placed source 

Look at Brum.

Last accts had wages of £27m. Do you think they've halved that in a season?

They have Blackburn at £9m for this season...they have published salaries of £24.4m in last accounts.

Do you want me to go through them all for you?

Edited by Andyben

13 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Look at Brum.

Last accts had wages of £27m. Do you think they've halved that in a season?

They have Blackburn at £9m for this season...they have published salaries of £24.4m in last accounts.

Do you want me to go through them all for you?

No I believe your original source more than these make believe numbers. Sorry my wording was ambiguous, I wasn't having a dig at past comments. The fact they don't cross reference to accounts makes their methodology worthless 

Sports Interactive and EA put more analysis into their games than some clubs do. 

Their respective budgets are enormous and they don't just run algorithms they actually send 'scouts' out, especially in South America. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

We've taken a look at 18 year old winger Rocco Vata at Celtic. Out of contract in the summer and not signing an extension as the expectation is Milan will come calling 

Scooby Doo is less confused than that lad....

Born in Scotland 

Of Albanian descent

Plays for Ireland!!

Watford u21s forward James Collins turned out for our 21s against QPR. 

He's 19 and highly rated by Watford so the fact that he's decided to trial for us shows well for our current academy set up. 

He plays in the Michael Smith role but his hold up play is better. Big and powerful lad, not easy to knock off the ball. Don't expect tons of pace from him but he's quite effective at ghosting in and around the penalty area. Been on Watford's bench once this season and been loaned out to lower leagues a couple of times as well. 

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/24207698.sheffield-wednesday-take-young-watford-striker-trial/

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Watford u21s forward James Collins turned out for our 21s against QPR. 

He's 19 and highly rated by Watford so the fact that he's decided to trial for us shows well for our current academy set up. 

He plays in the Michael Smith role but his hold up play is better. Big and powerful lad, not easy to knock off the ball. Don't expect tons of pace from him but he's quite effective at ghosting in and around the penalty area. Been on Watford's bench once this season and been loaned out to lower leagues a couple of times as well. 

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/24207698.sheffield-wednesday-take-young-watford-striker-trial/

How come we've got him up here then Ty, they have an option for another I read so what is behind his thinking to come on trial at ours?

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

How come we've got him up here then Ty, they have an option for another I read so what is behind his thinking to come on trial at ours?

Done some asking and they only have an option to ask him to sign, like a first refusal, so he can do the free agent trials to see if he'd be better elsewhere. 

The Watford rumour mill is that he wasn't happy there. Trained with the first team at the beginning of August, got on the bench against Stoke then was binned back to the 21s. Sent out loan to non league in November then they sent him out again in February. The rumour on that one is he turned up for training and was just told to head off to Haringey. He had no say. 

Him, and his family, have seen the progression route that has happened this season with our academy and see us as an opportunity. I'm hearing he's not afraid to graft and learn and he has the right aptitude. It's just that his whole family felt he was never told what was happening at Watford. 

He only joined Watford in January 23, before then he was non league, so the compensation would be minimal if anything at all. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Done some asking and they only have an option to ask him to sign, like a first refusal, so he can do the free agent trials to see if he'd be better elsewhere. 

The Watford rumour mill is that he wasn't happy there. Trained with the first team at the beginning of August, got on the bench against Stoke then was binned back to the 21s. Sent out loan to non league in November then they sent him out again in February. The rumour on that one is he turned up for training and was just told to head off to Haringey. He had no say. 

Him, and his family, have seen the progression route that has happened this season with our academy and see us as an opportunity. I'm hearing he's not afraid to graft and learn and he has the right aptitude. It's just that his whole family felt he was never told what was happening at Watford. 

He only joined Watford in January 23, before then he was non league, so the compensation would be minimal if anything at all. 

Cheers. Sounds like he could be worth a punt.

• Like 1