2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

21 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Might be his club & Blackburn.

Was a bit tongue in cheek Owling. We need a decisive clinical striker. I hope we get him but I feel Orlando are just living in Disneyland with their valuation and taking the Mickey.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Biggest question for me is can we stay up with what we have if plans don't come together and feels a fucking tall order given games left and points so far

They can but needs some luck. Obviously a bit of quality might just give everyone a lift. 

Bizarrely whether I’m clutching at straws but I’m quietly excited about this lad. I think he’ll suit our high press style really well and not a massive financial outlay so that’s a positive.

Welcome and good luck.

Scratching my head a little really on the Byers thing if we didn’t have a replacement. Can’t have been desperate to save money otherwise we’d have moved Gregory on also. 

I think had we signed Ugbo today then amongst the deadline day hype that would have helped Wednesday more than it did doing it early. Which shows deadline day for what it is. But I can’t help but come away feeling that if Chansiri had some cash to invest now (assuming McGuire wasn’t total BS) would be the time to be aggressive and change the perception of things considerably at a time when many clubs aren’t doing much and we need to overhaul a really bad start. Hopefully Poveda is a decent player, just feels like there are more nights like Watford to come where we have good spells but lack that bit extra. 

19 minutes ago, Laceups said:

Bizarrely whether I’m clutching at straws but I’m quietly excited about this lad. I think he’ll suit our high press style really well and not a massive financial outlay so that’s a positive.

Welcome and good luck.

Whenever I’ve seen him play, which admittedly isn’t much, he’s looked good. I’m surprised that he hasn’t kicked on and got a place in the Leeds side, but hopefully that’s to our benefit. 

Well 4 out and 4 in.

Vasquez, Buckley and Bakinson needed offloading and Byers too hasn't looked the part this season either.

Clamour for a new keeper. We recruited one.

Needed a left back - got one.

Striker - ditto

Poveda an interesting one. 

Could have been worse. We've  strengthened. Better than last January that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Well 4 out and 4 in.

Vasquez, Buckley and Bakinson needed offloading and Byers too hasn't looked the part this season either.

Clamour for a new keeper. We recruited one.

Needed a left back - got one.

Striker - ditto

Poveda an interesting one. 

Could have been worse. We've  strengthened. Better than last January that's for sure.

Agreed.

DR first window with his/his backroom teams decisions/input.

Those that have left the club, there's no probs really, it's always transitional. Have we bettered the squad, likely we have but now it's down to the coaching team to integrate when games are running out.

The above is an opinion and so is that we will stay up.

Fuck me we need to.

UTO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Is it just me or have Orlando City played us to drive the fee up on McGuire?

Looks like it.

Don't think we were ever really an option for McGuire himself. We may have got an agreement from the club but he didn't want to come here personally.

The racism retweet and the one liked by his mum about hoping he had more suitors, despite him being in Sheffield spoke volumes.

Spoke to a mate who is a home and away L**ds season ticket holder, about our new signing.

His reply..

“Decent little player. Had a shocker with injuries. If you can grab back to what we originally signed then you’ve got some talent.” 

• Like 2

Alex Miller has done an article comparing the transfer windows of the clubs around us. Can't say I have any in depth knowledge of the players involved but to me it all seems a bit of a muchness

Barely anyone has spent money, mainly because the Premier League clubs aren't. 

As has been repeatedly mentioned. This window we have been really active, Röhl, DC and the recruitment team have slapped offers in all over the place, but for a myriad of reasons (one of which definitely of our own doing), we’ve not always go what we wanted.

But, we can’t suggest the owner isn’t backing a push for survival, our newly built recruitment team have stuck to a model of youth with athleticism and I think Pedersen is a great really good signing.

We have finished stronger that we started. There’s no doubt about that.

I would like to have seen us get a number 9 in, but, they just don’t exist. I also think that having a 6 would have helped. But, i do see how the signings of Poveda and Pedersen can help those gaps. And I like the look of Ugbo.

Good window and a good insight into what Röhl will want to do long term.

• Like 2