2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

I Like Byers but this season has shown he's way off the pace. Whether it's age/culmination of all those injuries or whatever. 

Now, I'm probably not one of Palmer's biggest fans, but look at how much better Pol. V is doing with old wing nut/Vaulks next to him and not Byers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andyben said:

I Like Byers but this season has shown he's way off the pace. Whether it's age/culmination of all those injuries or whatever. 

Now, I'm probably not one of Palmer's biggest fans, but look at how much better Pol. V is doing with old wing nut/Vaulks next to him and not Byers. 

Byers has been off it this season, no doubt and I think he'd admit that too. But, I do think he could still get back to what we have seen. Although we won't see it now. 

I like Pol V. His pace is an asset on both sides of the ball, and generally his touch is very good too. 

11 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

As has been repeatedly mentioned. This window we have been really active, Röhl, DC and the recruitment team have slapped offers in all over the place, but for a myriad of reasons (one of which definitely of our own doing), we’ve not always go what we wanted.

But, we can’t suggest the owner isn’t backing a push for survival, our newly built recruitment team have stuck to a model of youth with athleticism and I think Pedersen is a great really good signing.

We have finished stronger that we started. There’s no doubt about that.

I would like to have seen us get a number 9 in, but, they just don’t exist. I also think that having a 6 would have helped. But, i do see how the signings of Poveda and Pedersen can help those gaps. And I like the look of Ugbo.

Good window and a good insight into what Röhl will want to do long term.

Spill?

10 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

would like to have seen us get a number 9 in, but, they just don’t exist. I also think that having a 6 would have helped. But, i do see how the signings of Poveda and Pedersen can help those gaps. And I like the look of Ugbo.

Do you not find Poveda a strange one? He only started 10 games in the Championship for Blackpool, last season, and was mainly used on the right of a front 3 which is his preferred position. We already have Musaba and Wilks there, unless he's going to switch one of them (or Gassama) more central behind Ugbo. 

54 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Alex Miller has done an article comparing the transfer windows of the clubs around us. Can't say I have any in depth knowledge of the players involved but to me it all seems a bit of a muchness

Barely anyone has spent money, mainly because the Premier League clubs aren't. 

His accuracy is again lacking! 

Niall Ennis to Stoke is missing

Qpr have loaned a player to themselves!

I reckon McGuire might have ended up here on loan with a deal done in summer here or elsewhere a bit like Dike. Probably on the players request if Blackburn didn’t materialise. But yeah used to apply pressure on Blackburn to get sorted. It also sounds like the Orlando press inflating things to soften blow of losing a key prospect. 

I don’t think many championship clubs were able to do a great deal yesterday and it seems wheeling and dealing is the order of the day for most clubs. Just given the emphasis placed in January by the club to really haul out of trouble it’s raised more questions than answers again 

27 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Do you not find Poveda a strange one? He only started 10 games in the Championship for Blackpool, last season, and was mainly used on the right of a front 3 which is his preferred position. We already have Musaba and Wilks there, unless he's going to switch one of them (or Gassama) more central behind Ugbo. 

I think Musaba is more effective centrally playing 'off the shoulder', and Gassama is better deeper as a 10.

Wilks is better on the bench

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

But... WHAT ABOUT BYERS though KM... It's all gone to hell.... ETC ETC... lol.

Yep. I’ve delved into social media and actually the feedback has been positive. But there are some mouth breathers who don’t understand football, don’t understand the transfer window and have an attachment to players who are not up to this level.

I look at it another way. This window has been the quietest winter window in history. For us to do any business, is a positive because many haven’t.

40 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I think this is going to see Gassama move inside. Poveda is a different type of player to the other two in that he wants the ball into feet, he’s not someone who wants to get behind someone. He’s all about creating a yard of space and having quick feet.

• Like 2

was just speaking to a mate who supports Southampton.

He said it was about keeping players this window, and he's not that upset Alcarez left as he's not looked up for it in the Championship, so hoping he gets some game time at Juve and back in summer for PL football

I’ll tell you how Pedersen helps us out in midfield. He’s a defender first and foremost, so in some away games we can play him instead of Johnson and just have Pol as the runner. This means we always have the coverage of three which takes the pressure off the midfield lads to fill in fullback positions when both Johnson and Pol go.

I think it’s a clever signing because he’s an orthodox left back who is a good defender, and strong in the air.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’ll tell you how Pedersen helps us out in midfield. He’s a defender first and foremost, so in some away games we can play him instead of Johnson and just have Pol as the runner. This means we always have the coverage of three which takes the pressure off the midfield lads to fill in fullback positions when both Johnson and Pol go.

I think it’s a clever signing because he’s an orthodox left back who is a good defender, and strong in the air.

Can play a more attacking, less defensive midfielder like Hendrick then...

1 minute ago, Andyben said:

Can play a more attacking, less defensive midfielder like Hendrick then...

Quite possibly. But Rohl is all about trusting people, you can see that he trusts Palmer, Vaulks and Bannan. He may, over time, trust Diaby. I don’t think he trusts Hendrick, he didn’t trust Byers, and I’m not sure he fancied Buckley.

He so focussed on the press that he wants all of his midfield players to close the gap really quickly when the opposition turns into trouble. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Apparently us, Charlton, Derby, Rangers, and just about every other club who failed to get a striker in on deadline day are showing an interest in now free agent Dwight Gayle

Assuming he's played, (haven't checked), has he scored?

14 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Not sure that he'd get picked for a side so basically built around pressing, Reesh.  Workrate wasn't his strong suit when young with us so it seems unlikely to be now.  

Fred he may not press but knows where the net is.

2 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

I'm amazed Smith and Fletcher especially get on the bench ahead of Gregory 

Goes back to the press and work rate thing mentioned above. 

Gregory is an off the shoulder predator. In the games where he's had to run around he's done it but looked lost. A lot like Jordan Rhodes. 

Gregory (and João) is an instinctive striker. Fletcher, Wilks, and Paterson are run arounds who can score. Cadamarteri, Ugbo, Smith and Windass are almost a half way house, although Windass has never been a true forward, as such. So they get picked in front of Gregory to fit the style. 

Goes back to striker vs forward and whether we want a full forward line that will physically harass and chase, in this age of playing out from the back, or to have a couple of players up front that will psychologically harass a back line by making them think about the spaces they'll leave if they carry the ball forward. 

4 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

You're better qualified than me. Is there no way we can get Gregory in when we are so desperate for goals

We'd have to change our way of playing to incorporate a true striker. 

Last season Smith and Gregory had the psychological advantage over L1 defences purely down to their reputations. 

Rohl's current 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 has the furthest forward chasing down the centre halves if they have the ball but that then leaves a gap, especially if the space between our lines isn't interlocking, to thread the through ball and put pressure on our midfield 2. 

We could semi concede the high press and drop back our forward line by 10 yards. This would condense the midfield space so even if their CH carries the ball we are restricting the next pass. In theory this could mean there's more space behind their back line for our pace to exploit now we have some. That would then allow a Gregory or João type play to ghost in. 

Not saying it would work but it's how Brighton got round Palace and how Villa play away from home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

We'd have to change our way of playing to incorporate a true striker. 

Last season Smith and Gregory had the psychological advantage over L1 defences purely down to their reputations. 

Rohl's current 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 has the furthest forward chasing down the centre halves if they have the ball but that then leaves a gap, especially if the space between our lines isn't interlocking, to thread the through ball and put pressure on our midfield 2. 

We could semi concede the high press and drop back our forward line by 10 yards. This would condense the midfield space so even if their CH carries the ball we are restricting the next pass. In theory this could mean there's more space behind their back line for our pace to exploit now we have some. That would then allow a Gregory or João type play to ghost in. 

Not saying it would work but it's how Brighton got round Palace and how Villa play away from home

We gave up the pace because he wasn't ghosting in, he was still 10 yards outside the box. His natural tendency is to move back towards our goal, so if a break happens, he's miles behind.

DM slowed our entire play down to accommodate this. Slowly slowly, edging it down the flanks, with a ball to his feet in the D to play off, or down the side for a byline cutback.

Bannan still does it when under pressure, slowing the ball down with little triangles on the left flank, trying to squeeze it up there.

Given our lack of goals another try with Gregory up front has got to be worth a go, or even just as an impact player for the last 20mins, ie to match the energy of the opposition.

Whilst Smith can score a goal, he just looks like a cart horse lumbering about against any decent Championship defenders.

BTC and the other young lads look promising but have yet to get any sustained confidence in front of goal but do offer the penetration and pace that defences don’t like.

Fletcher, no comment. He’s just not at the races.

As others have said, DR is being positive and trying to win games, which is hard to knock but without a regular goal scorer the plan is going to struggle. Whilst Gregory hasn’t ever been prolific he does have that calmness to take chances, which fortunately we are creating. Worth another go, but I just can’t see DR trying it.

Lucas Joao is an interesting idea, but it would massively depend on his fitness and desire. He seemed to enjoy his time here, but how much would he be up for the fight.

Gayle is past his sell by date from what I saw the last time I saw him on TV, which is probably why Stoke have let him go.

15 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Goes back to the press and work rate thing mentioned above. 

Gregory is an off the shoulder predator. In the games where he's had to run around he's done it but looked lost. A lot like Jordan Rhodes. 

Gregory (and João) is an instinctive striker. Fletcher, Wilks, and Paterson are run arounds who can score. Cadamarteri, Ugbo, Smith and Windass are almost a half way house, although Windass has never been a true forward, as such. So they get picked in front of Gregory to fit the style. 

Goes back to striker vs forward and whether we want a full forward line that will physically harass and chase, in this age of playing out from the back, or to have a couple of players up front that will psychologically harass a back line by making them think about the spaces they'll leave if they carry the ball forward. 

Fletcher can score?  👀

47 minutes ago, Bob Petrie said:

Not sure if this should be in the Wednesday or non-Wednesday transfer thread - but an account of the  Duncan McGuire dealings… why we lost out, (and why it looks like so will Blackburn).

£6m up front with a further 2m in add on's? They're welcome to him...

9 minutes ago, Snap said:

TBH, I can imagine Gregory still having some semblance of fitness, whereas Joao will have been sat on his fat arse stuffing himself with Peri Peri Chicken and Pasteis de Nata.

Nice bit of casual racism there.

• Haha 1

Malaysian Super League just finished and Fernando Forestieri looking for a short term contract. 32 goals in 38 games. 

Would you have him back? Fanbase favourite coming home to help the club out.

I'd invite him up to train then make sure there's photos 'leaked' of him in kit on the pitch

Edited by Tylluan

16 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Malaysian Super League just finished and Fernando Forestieri looking for a short term contract. 32 goals in 38 games. 

I'd invite him up to train then make sure there's photos 'leaked' of him in kit on the pitch

He would be fit at least but not sure Chapeltown in February is that enticing 

40 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Would be all over this signing...but he can't sign / play till july

Edited by Andyben