2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

17 hours ago, Snap said:

Don't doubt it mate, there was just the usual rumours floating around with Joao and Dwight Gayle, hopefully we won't get the other one in either, just rather go with what we have than either of those 2. Strange thing with Gayle though, him leaving Stoke like that I'd have thought he had something lined up.

Now you can tell me he has.😀

Not got a clue if he has. I hope it's not with us though. A spent 'force' if you ask me. 

• Like 1

We've picked up Gabriel Otegbayo on trial after his release from Burnley. 19 year old Irish centre half. 6' 4" but very fast and comfortable with the ball at his feet. Played twice for the 21s and will be signed as a 21 if successful. 

Burnley picked him up from Cobh Ramblers but, interestingly, they picked him up from a coaching company that works 1 on 1 with players. He's not the product of a recognised youth system but rather individualised 1-1 coaching, a bit like a tennis player or athlete. His first taste of group football was Cobh u15s.

There's quite a few of these type of coaching groups springing up now within the youth system. It's a South American model without the 3rd party ownership. The coach signs the kid, gets paid for the coaching, then also gets paid by any club he 'recommends' them to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

From the BBC gossip column:

Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton Wanderers and Peterborough United are exploring a move for 31-year-old Jamaica midfielder Ravel Morrison, who is a free agent after leaving MLS side DC United. (Teamtalk)

Thankfully the source aren’t exactly known for their reliability.

10 hours ago, Gamblor said:

From the BBC gossip column:

Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton Wanderers and Peterborough United are exploring a move for 31-year-old Jamaica midfielder Ravel Morrison, who is a free agent after leaving MLS side DC United. (Teamtalk)

Thankfully the source aren’t exactly known for their reliability.

Siri - find me the player least suited to Danny Rohl's methods of working...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I remember a guy called, err Eric someone who had been having a bad time in his home country….

I’ll get my coat.

0ne had a bad time… bother on the field.  

other… Bother off field, breaking the law by allegedly beating women up. 

VERY different IMHO

Just now, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I agree. I was just picking at an old story…

Ravel Morrison is more the ‘bad’ that I understand why teams take a gamble on and hope to be the one that can harness his abilities.
But. We don’t need him right now, if at all. I’d rather avoid a fancy Dan type. We’ve got our flair players now I. Musaba and Gassama who have improved their workrate and application no end under Rohl. And Poveda too of course. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Ravel Morrison is more the ‘bad’ that I understand why teams take a gamble on and hope to be the one that can harness his abilities.
But. We don’t need him right now, if at all. I’d rather avoid a fancy Dan type. We’ve got our flair players now I. Musaba and Gassama who have improved their workrate and application no end under Rohl. And Poveda too of course. 

Loke Atherton & Hyde over di Canio and Carbone

3 hours ago, Andyben said:

Loke Atherton & Hyde over di Canio and Carbone

No not at all. 

AS I say, we've got players with the skill to do it NOW for us. And they'll get better too. We don't need Morrison IMO, a bad egg. Di Canio was controversial for a few reasons, but he'd been far from crap and his commitment to actually playing IIRC hadn't been brought into question before he came to us. HIs views on all things political/societal though... had, and have since.

3 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

I just don't see how the club can seriously think about signing Schulz, it's a terrible PR move.

We won't sign him now as he's not played since last season and not trained since last July but there has to be something behind him being here, if Indeed he is. 

He's a free agent so we could put him on a, court verdict dependant, pre-nup if he continues to train with us. He'd be a cracking player in the Championship for zero outlay 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

No not at all. 

AS I say, we've got players with the skill to do it NOW for us. And they'll get better too. We don't need Morrison IMO, a bad egg. Di Canio was controversial for a few reasons, but he'd been far from crap and his commitment to actually playing IIRC hadn't been brought into question before he came to us. HIs views on all things political/societal though... had, and have since.

And his views on referees, too: more than once. Skillful looney about covers it. 

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

We won't sign him now as he's not played since last season and not trained since last July but there has to be something behind him being here, if Indeed he is. 

He's a free agent so we could put him on a, court verdict dependant, pre-nup if he continues to train with us. He'd be a cracking player in the Championship for zero outlay 

Hmm, as we've seen with other cases, getting the court verdict doesn't take the stench away & this is a really shitty charge.  Domestic violence against your pregnant girlfriend?  If he's done it, gets away with it and plays for us, I'd be quite content if another player snaps both his legs.

1 minute ago, Beaconowl said:

Sounds like the case is being discontinued, but he has been ordered to pay 150,000 Euro to a charity. I may be naive in these matters, but I am not sure how that works. Can anyone enlighten me please?

The woman will never make it up in the hope of making a few quid 

1 minute ago, Beaconowl said:

But, he isnt paying her. He is paying a charity 🤨

It was my attempt at humour, I suspect there is some form of bargaining. I suspect this is a case with zero witnesses and unlike the FA, criminal cases don't work on balance of probability - well presumably that is the case in Germany these days 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

It was my attempt at humour, I suspect there is some form of bargaining. I suspect this is a case with zero witnesses and unlike the FA, criminal cases don't work on balance of probability - well presumably that is the case in Germany these days 

Perhaps I have been out of the country too long to get it 

If he signed for another relegation rival and helped keep them up at our expense all the faux outrage brigade would be singing a different tune, we don't know all the facts behind the case and if he signs I assume DR and the club do and are comfortable with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beaconowl said:

But, he isnt paying her. He is paying a charity 🤨

He has apparently already paid something to her if reports are to be believed 

It still wouldn’t sit right with me if he was to be part of our squad. But it’s not my decision obviously. 

An experienced, full German international in what should be the prime year's in his career, filling the single most problematic position  in the squad.

He's likely to be extremely grateful to play again and could be an absolute diamond 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

If he signed for another relegation rival and helped keep them up at our expense all the faux outrage brigade would be singing a different tune, we don't know all the facts behind the case and if he signs I assume DR and the club do and are comfortable with it.

There will be plenty of faux outrage if we sign him. 

• Like 2

On 23/02/2024 at 04:24, BraddersTim said:

Hmm, as we've seen with other cases, getting the court verdict doesn't take the stench away & this is a really shitty charge.  Domestic violence against your pregnant girlfriend?  If he's done it, gets away with it and plays for us, I'd be quite content if another player snaps both his legs.

Unsure if you've seen this Bradders

https://www.fearthewall.com/2022/8/9/23297988/further-details-revealed-in-nico-schulz-domestic-abuse-allegations-bvb-borussia-dortmund

If it's true (from further reading) that he attacked his girlfriend kicking her womb whilst wishing the unborn to die... well 

Strange how times change. I remember the outrage over the possiblity of Lee Hughes signing for us before he went to Notts County

9 hours ago, Andyben said:

Lee Hughes who was found guilty in court went to prison for killing someone?

Honest question. What has Schulz been found guilty of?

Don't get me wrong I have no time and zero respect for any bloke that treats his partner in that sort of way.

If he had been found guilty in a court then no way should he be recruited until the sentence is served  and remorse shown.

The hardest aspect is where there is a lot of conjecture, is paying her off in some way evidence more of controlling behaviour on their part. Sadly domestic abuse is under reported and under charged as much through intimidation, fear etc.

For me Wednesday get enough bad media coverage on everything, to then open yourself up to more. No player is that good to warrant risking that