2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

8 minutes ago, Southy_SWFC said:

I thought it was always July 1st. 

Yeah could be right actually but they’d surely have renewed it by now if they were looking to do so.

Unless they were waiting to see what division they were going to be in.

Oh bollocks he signed an extension last summer so it now runs to next summer.

Edited by Laceups

26 minutes ago, Laceups said:

Yeah could be right actually but they’d surely have renewed it by now if they were looking to do so.

Unless they were waiting to see what division they were going to be in.

Oh bollocks he signed an extension last summer so it now runs to next summer.

They probably didn’t think they were going down this season though, so hopefully might be open to getting him off the wage bill? We can hope, can’t we? 😊

2 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

I see Jamie Vardy as Jordan Rhodes Mk II. Had a very decent career but the legs have gone and the goals have dried up.

He’s not as good as he was, but he’s still scored goals in the Premier League this season. 
I’d have him in a heartbeat. He’s still not slow, and he’s instinctive. We’ve got no one like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

I see Jamie Vardy as Jordan Rhodes Mk II. Had a very decent career but the legs have gone and the goals have dried up.

Absolutely cannot compare the 2. One has pace, played in premier league, a higher level, won major trophies and run himself into the ground for the team and the other didn't. 

I'd have Vardy in a heartbeat. He definitely get us 15 plus goals And add a few season tickets I'd suspect

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laceups said:

He’s out of contract as of tomorrow I believe.

5 hours ago, Southy_SWFC said:

I thought it was always July 1st.

Southy's right, kind of. The official free agent date is July 1st however clubs can sign anyone on a released list from the day after the league has officially ended. They can also bring that player into the club provided they pay the wages for that month or the player signs a non payment waiver. 

It is an interesting one. Moore preferred to run with a trimmed squad, aside from a couple in the likes of Shipston that haven't really been tested, there are no younger players screaming pick me. Chansiri often talks about "family" and whilst we may criticise Moore tactically at times you cannot fault his man management attributes.

So a long way of saying there may be less churn than anticipated. And perhaps the lesson learned is to ensure new players coming in share the collective spirit. No more end of playing career mercenaries please. 

I think who leaves depends on who we’ve identified and are confident of getting in. 

Near definite to leave: Stockdale, Hunt, and Brown.

Probable departures: Adeniran, Paterson. Also FDB, but if, and its a big if, he wants to stay, and is only given a sensible deal (from the club’s perspective) then I’d keep him.

Possible departures, provided we have a younger, better, upgrade lined up: Johnson, Gregory.

6 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

I think who leaves depends on who we’ve identified and are confident of getting in. 

Near definite to leave: Stockdale, Hunt, and Brown.

Probable departures: Adeniran, Paterson. Also FDB, but if, and its a big if, he wants to stay, and is only given a sensible deal (from the club’s perspective) then I’d keep him.

Possible departures, provided we have a younger, better, upgrade lined up: Johnson, Gregory.

Paterson is in talks

• Like 1

I've a feeling DM will stay loyal to those that got us promoted and at least offer deals. 

I agree with Reesh. I'd also look to keep Adeniran but it's if he wants squad football or moves for regular first team football. 

Paul Warne gave an interesting quote when asked about recruitment. 

"I pay them to train. Playing is a bonus"

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

I've a feeling DM will stay loyal to those that got us promoted and at least offer deals. 

I agree with Reesh. I'd also look to keep Adeniran but it's if he wants squad football or moves for regular first team football. 

Paul Warne gave an interesting quote when asked about recruitment. 

"I pay them to train. Playing is a bonus"

I admire loyalty. But it can be misplaced. We need to be ruthless or else we will struggle. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark said:

I admire loyalty. But it can be misplaced. We need to be ruthless or else we will struggle. 

Agreed but I don't think it's in DM's mentality to say thanks but good luck finding a new club. 

It depends on who's on the shopping list and how far down the negotiation line we were with any incomings

I’m going to go with…

Stockdale, Dele, Hunt, Brown to leave.

I think we will keep Johnson, Paterson and Iorfa. We have triggered extensions in Bannan, Byers and Palmer already.

I think we will offer deals to Adeniran and Gregory - but, only as squad players. Whether they sign or not is based on whether they are happy being 3rd or 4th choice.

I agree that Moore will be a loyal as he can be, but a fair few players will have limited roles next season. Especially given the noise that Moore has made about how critical recruitment will be this season to build momentum.

Our recruitment this season will be the difference between top 10 and bottom 6. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Agreed but I don't think it's in DM's mentality to say thanks but good luck finding a new club. 

It depends on who's on the shopping list and how far down the negotiation line we were with any incomings

He's just gutted we won't be bringing in rapey Jack Diamond

33 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Absolutely yes it's definitely not in DMs mentality, but, unfortunately it needs to be. It has pros and cons. Definitely pros this season but potentially cons if his loyalty is misplaced next season. 

A few could remain as squad players but not many should be in starting eleven 

• Like 1

I think Gregory is worth a year for when we need a goal. Moore hasn’t trusted Adeniran, Bakinson, FDB to change games at times so if we do re sign FDB and Adeniran it may be a missed opportunity to real improvement. Depends on budget. Hopefully if we have a free hit season Shipston is able to get some game time but could see him and Brennan out on loan 

Listening to DM interview yesterday there were a few indications that some of the older out of contract players are likely to be let go. Obviously didn’t mention anyone specific although he did indicate we have options on Byers and Windass staying, which has to be a no brainer, unless Byers injury is severe.

I think Flint is unlikely to return and unfortunately unless we move quickly Gregory will find another club, eg Derby. Of the other I think time is up for Johnson as good as he’s been at times, similar story for most of the others out of contract, including Stockdale. They will be fondly remembered though I would have thought.

DM also referenced how aggressive we plan to be in the transfer market. To me, and I know what people have said about signing L1 players but I’d be looking to get the players in L1 that can clearly play (or have played) at Championship level, like Anderson and any of the PL loans that smashed L1. The positive being DM and the coaching staff are likely to have seen these players in potentially 2 games.

Then, like everyone else is probably looking to do top up with a young hungry PL striker and trade on the fact that they will be playing in front of 25k+ each week. If Bristol can get a Tammy Abraham on loan, why can’t we. We did have Berkeley.

Interesting times, the good thing is I think DM wants to get the business done early.

4 hours ago, Reesh said:

Paterson is in talks

I’d keep Pato, he’s probably one on DMs “keep list” because he’s versatile and still under a reasonable margin under 30. 
At times he’s looked like a cart horse when he’s played but less so in the 2nd half of this season. His commitment to the cause is excellent and he likes to pop with the odd important goal here and there . Keep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I’d keep Pato, he’s probably one on DMs “keep list” because he’s versatile and still under a reasonable margin under 30. 
At times he’s looked like a cart horse when he’s played but less so in the 2nd half of this season. His commitment to the cause is excellent and he likes to pop with the odd important goal here and there . Keep.

Definitely keep.

5 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Listening to DM interview yesterday there were a few indications that some of the older out of contract players are likely to be let go. Obviously didn’t mention anyone specific although he did indicate we have options on Byers and Windass staying, which has to be a no brainer, unless Byers injury is severe.

I think Flint is unlikely to return and unfortunately unless we move quickly Gregory will find another club, eg Derby. Of the other I think time is up for Johnson as good as he’s been at times, similar story for most of the others out of contract, including Stockdale. They will be fondly remembered though I would have thought.

DM also referenced how aggressive we plan to be in the transfer market. To me, and I know what people have said about signing L1 players but I’d be looking to get the players in L1 that can clearly play (or have played) at Championship level, like Anderson and any of the PL loans that smashed L1. The positive being DM and the coaching staff are likely to have seen these players in potentially 2 games.

Then, like everyone else is probably looking to do top up with a young hungry PL striker and trade on the fact that they will be playing in front of 25k+ each week. If Bristol can get a Tammy Abraham on loan, why can’t we. We did have Berkeley.

Interesting times, the good thing is I think DM wants to get the business done early.

Who is Berkeley?

On 27/04/2023 at 15:18, EastCraigsOwl said:

I've just been reading an article online from the Edinburgh Evening News. The reporter is suggesting 9 out of contract in the summer central midfielders who Hearts could sign. Not sure why he couldn't find a 10th candidate but not to worry.

Anyway, number 1 on the list is...

Dennis Adeniran 😮

....fill yer boots

1 hour ago, Laceups said:

BPF played 45 games and kept 15 clean sheets apparently.

conceding just the 47 goals…….. in the other 30!!!

Move on please. 

We need to target the loan market as well as the grunters did with Doyle and McAtee.

We've an opportunity to take the goodwill and confidence into next season and romp that division.

Won't take much, few key players here and there and we're laughing.

Probably harder to fuck it up....

BPF has that physique that too clubs seem to want in a keeper nowadays. Similar to Paterson at Sunderland. I just thought there was always an error in him. I’d rather we got someone in that we owned ourselves rather than revisit each season.

46 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

BPFs contract is up at the end of next season. Burnley are willing to let him go for minimal in order to get him off the books early. 

Let someone else suffer on the cheap.

5 hours ago, Jim said:

Oh dear 🙁

22 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

People on about BPF but Dawson now has another promotion season many clean sheets and more learning from mistakes un popular but I would stick with him and get good back up surely 

Dawson isnt a Championship keeper, we want to push on, we need a better Keeper 

4 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

He is now.

What the fuck constitutes a championship keeper anyway? Think he’s been excellent on the whole, of course still areas for development but he’s nowhere near peaking yet 

All about opinions NFB, but my heart is still in my mouth whenever he's near the ball.....

Mind you, I've felt like that with a number of keepers over the years tbh...