2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

@HoylandOwlhad Hyde on his shirt and booed fancy dan Carbone 

Saying that...the most footballerish player we ever had was Dan Jones. The tattoos, hair, boots and sunbeds.

Looked like David Beckham, played like Victoria.

He was 97% Love Island 3% Footballer.

I didn’t have Hyde on my shirt.. But thanks for thinking of me. 
I didn’t think Hartridge was bad back on topic, but more that we made him look good by not putting him under pressure. 
We even made Jake Caprice on their right look like Cafu in his prime. 

Says everything about that Exeter game. 

On 29/04/2023 at 15:45, KrolMong said:

Ty. I enjoy reading your insights.

So, you’ve got a transfer budget of a million in league one next season, you can get rid of anyone and change shape and system, what are you bringing in?

Apologies as I've been away with the family for the weekend. Got in and given this about an hour of thinking time, otherwise I'd get bogged down in stat hunting and it would have taken days. Given the stipulations I'm not doing an Ipswich so I'm looking at players who's contracts are ending and I think would come to this club and League 1. I've also picked players in their mid 20s to try and bring the squad age down and also those that could do a job in that first season back in the Championship

My provisional formation is 4-2-3-1 but I've also chosen multi positional players should I need to switch to 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

Unfortunately Bannan doesn't fit my plans so I'm hoping a club like the Huddersfield retirement home for old Wednesday players comes in for him. The centre of my midfield 3 will be Windass as he offers a better goal threat as I go more with pace and directness.

Out. Bannan, Gregory, Brown, Hunt, Bakinson, Flint, Iorfa, Stockdale, FDB, James. 

Now for the Ins

I need someone to push Dawson for that One shirt. Toby Savin's out of contract at Accrington but also interesting me is Nathan Bishop at Manchester United, if I could get him on loan to buy. 

Ciaran Brennan has a year left so he gets his chance in the squad. If it doesn't work out then he goes out on loan and looks for another club. I'd also give Adeniran and Paterson another year as I think they fit in to the formation.

Left back needs a rebuild and Hull are releasing Callum Elder. I'd also take Tayo Edun on loan from Blackburn. I'd also look at Ben Purrington. Ross County will look to release him if they go down and he has L1 experience with Rotherham.

At Right back I'd take Luke Matheson from Wolves. His contract isn't being renewed and it's not worked out for him since they paid Rochdale £1m for him when he was 17. At that age he was a L1 regular and made his name in the cup tie against Man Utd. That player is still in there but Wolves was the wrong move.

In centre mid I'm hoping I can tempt Archie Collins away from Exeter, George Dobson from Charlton and George Evans from Millwall. All are out of contract. Evans hasn't been playing as much as he'd like and both him and Dobson can also play across the back line. I think Evans will stay in the Championship though.

Joe Ward, from Peterborough, comes in to challenge for Right Mid and Josh Ginnelly, from Hearts, comes in to challenge Marv for the left side role. Ginnelly can also play as a forward.

Up front I'd spend most of my million trying to tempt Sam Nombe to leave Exeter. He has a year left on his contract. I'd also take Isaak Davies on loan from Cardiff as he can play anywhere across a front 4.

So that would give me a 24 of

Gk - Dawson and Savin/Bishop

Defenders - Palmer, Matheson, Heneghan, Ihiekwe, Famewo, Brennan, Elder, Edun.

Midfield - Vaulks, Byers, Adeniran, Collins, Dobson/Evans, Ward, Wilks, Johnson, Ginnelly

Forwards - Windass, Smith, Paterson, Nombe, Davies.

Durrant, Cadamarteri and Shipston will also be in the squad but they don't have to be part of the 24 as they'll be registered with the 21s. They provide back-up across the front 4. 

This is pure League 1 fantasy football and, like I say, I've given this about an hour's thought using what I already know and thumbing through a couple of stats sites. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Apologies as I've been away with the family for the weekend. Got in and given this about an hour of thinking time, otherwise I'd get bogged down in stat hunting and it would have taken days. Given the stipulations I'm not doing an Ipswich so I'm looking at players who's contracts are ending and I think would come to this club and League 1. I've also picked players in their mid 20s to try and bring the squad age down and also those that could do a job in that first season back in the Championship

My provisional formation is 4-2-3-1 but I've also chosen multi positional players should I need to switch to 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

Unfortunately Bannan doesn't fit my plans so I'm hoping a club like the Huddersfield retirement home for old Wednesday players comes in for him. The centre of my midfield 3 will be Windass as he offers a better goal threat as I go more with pace and directness.

Out. Bannan, Gregory, Brown, Hunt, Bakinson, Flint, Iorfa, Stockdale, FDB, James. 

Now for the Ins

I need someone to push Dawson for that One shirt. Toby Savin's out of contract at Accrington but also interesting me is Nathan Bishop at Manchester United, if I could get him on loan to buy. 

Ciaran Brennan has a year left so he gets his chance in the squad. If it doesn't work out then he goes out on loan and looks for another club. I'd also give Adeniran and Paterson another year as I think they fit in to the formation.

Left back needs a rebuild and Hull are releasing Callum Elder. I'd also take Tayo Edun on loan from Blackburn. I'd also look at Ben Purrington. Ross County will look to release him if they go down and he has L1 experience with Rotherham.

At Right back I'd take Luke Matheson from Wolves. His contract isn't being renewed and it's not worked out for him since they paid Rochdale £1m for him when he was 17. At that age he was a L1 regular and made his name in the cup tie against Man Utd. That player is still in there but Wolves was the wrong move.

In centre mid I'm hoping I can tempt Archie Collins away from Exeter, George Dobson from Charlton and George Evans from Millwall. All are out of contract. Evans hasn't been playing as much as he'd like and both him and Dobson can also play across the back line. I think Evans will stay in the Championship though.

Joe Ward, from Peterborough, comes in to challenge for Right Mid and Josh Ginnelly, from Hearts, comes in to challenge Marv for the left side role. Ginnelly can also play as a forward.

Up front I'd spend most of my million trying to tempt Sam Nombe to leave Exeter. He has a year left on his contract. I'd also take Isaak Davies on loan from Cardiff as he can play anywhere across a front 4.

So that would give me a 24 of

Gk - Dawson and Savin/Bishop

Defenders - Palmer, Matheson, Heneghan, Ihiekwe, Famewo, Brennan, Elder, Edun.

Midfield - Vaulks, Byers, Adeniran, Collins, Dobson/Evans, Ward, Wilks, Johnson, Ginnelly

Forwards - Windass, Smith, Paterson, Nombe, Davies.

Durrant, Cadamarteri and Shipston will also be in the squad but they don't have to be part of the 24 as they'll be registered with the 21s. They provide back-up across the front 4. 

This is pure League 1 fantasy football and, like I say, I've given this about an hour's thought using what I already know and thumbing through a couple of stats sites. 

Some interesting choices there Ty. 

Edun, I agree on. Totally. He’s a very good player if he’s given games and consistency of position. 
Ginnelly is an interesting one, I remember him in league 2 looking half decent but erratic, then went Preston IIRC,  before going north of the border. 

If David Button hadn’t been crap for the Baggies, I’d have loved us to go for Alex Palmer. Moore knows him, and he’s a good keeper too. But I know it isn’t happening as he is just about their first choice now, either side of his recent injury. 

Would you consider Alfie May,Ty? Just interested in your take on him to be honest. While he’s always been decent against us it seems over the past few years, and it’s resulted in some fancying him for us.

Lots of wank players have great games against us. If we were to buy them, they'd quickly revert to being wank again.

This equally applies to decent players btw. Soon as they put on blue and white stripes, their footballing brain goes into reverse.

Edited by Skamp

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Would you consider Alfie May,Ty? Just interested in your take on him to be honest. While he’s always been decent against us it seems over the past few years, and it’s resulted in some fancying him for us.

He's 29 years old and signed an extension last season. 

I was trying to stay away from players who'd be the wrong side of 30 by the end of their contract but he's a good player at this level. 

I am presuming a good chunk of our fan base will be suggesting Messi. 

Interesting analysis Ty, I suspect more thought has gone into that than our own recruitment team will.

Their ticklist seems

Over 30

Got promoted elsewhere so must be OK

Injury prone

Does not fit system

Our fans will have a least heard of them

Did ok against us

Understanding the word volume 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Skamp said:

Lots of wank players have great games against us. If we were to buy them, they'd quickly revert to being wank again.

This equally applies to decent players btw. Soon as they put on blue and white stripes, their footballing brain goes into reverse.

But that could be the first manager playing them in their preferred position, or even bringing them on and making them into a better player than before and then they can play in another or any position for him. 

Or he could be just brought in and the manager is not able to improve that player or even get him to play to the standard he was before.

Or because of lack of tactics.

Just asking like...

20 hours ago, Tylluan said:

He's 29 years old and signed an extension last season. 

I was trying to stay away from players who'd be the wrong side of 30 by the end of their contract but he's a good player at this level. 

What about the Dutch defender at Lincoln @Tylluan Montsema is it?

18 minutes ago, Andyben said:

What about the Dutch defender at Lincoln @Tylluan Montsema is it?

Montsma. He's basically fucked and the rumour is he'll be lucky if he plays next season or even ever again.

Completely ripped his cruciate ligament in January 22. Didn't play until Feb 23 then the same knee went again a month later. 

There's talk of missed diagnosis and bringing him back too early but he requires at least two more ops and a load of recovery time.

Was underperforming before the first injury and a lot of Lincoln fans were saying he was more interested in being a model

So he may fit right in to our transfer policy 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Thanks 1

So we had a DoF/SD under our nose the whole time but it's taken Blackpool to see it.

Wonder if they'll start signing 30 year olds to try and get them out of this league.

On a serious note it'll be interesting to see if/how we fill the position and how our recruitment will be influenced going forward

On 02/05/2023 at 20:26, Tylluan said:

And their Gino can sell ice creams behind the South

7 hours ago, Tylluan said:

So we had a DoF/SD under our nose the whole time but it's taken Blackpool to see it.

Wonder if they'll start signing 30 year olds to try and get them out of this league.

On a serious note it'll be interesting to see if/how we fill the position and how our recruitment will be influenced going forward

Paxo!

Hardie and Schumacher have the same agent and a 'handshake' deal was done last February where they would double Hardie's wages if they went up but let him walk if he wanted to if they didn't get promoted. 

Doubling his wages puts him around £15k

On 05/05/2023 at 15:06, HoylandOwl said:

Interesting....

That actually scares me a little bit. 

We don't know which division we'll be in but the recruitment plans are in place?

Most higher division clubs won't have sorted out their loans lists yet and certainly won't have done deals til they know where a club is going to be. So that possibly means we've set our sights on a similar transfer window as last year and we'll be looking to get through with Dad's Army again. 

2 hours ago, Chelters said:

Alfie May apparently seemed to be saying goodbye after Cheltenham’s game yesterday. Could we…..?

Although suspect Barnsley might be the destination. 

59 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Makes sense.

Does it? I've not seen his sister?

2 hours ago, Chelters said:

Alfie May apparently seemed to be saying goodbye after Cheltenham’s game yesterday. Could we…..?

Although suspect Barnsley might be the destination. 

There's a few whispers that he'll be rocking up at Portsmouth after Ipswich have spunked at least a million on Colby Bishop. 

Ryan Lowe has also had scouts watching him as he looks for a replacement for the rapist.

But if you fancy a flutter on where he'll end up next then have a couple of quid on Wrexham

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Where do you think Cole Stockton will go Ty? Not to us, he's not good enough and edging towards 30... 

Several news outlets reporting he's off to Lincoln but if we're still in league 1 would you take him for a year if Pato moved on? 

Injury wise he seems bullet proof. I can only find an 11 day absence a couple of seasons ago. I know I picked a load of more youthful players in my recent breakdown but imagine Smith feeding off Stockton's physicality and bustle (which is why Smith and Paterson works) or throwing him in with 15 to go to make the ball stick. 

From a long term point of view, a season of Stockton could give Cadamarteri a chance to breathe and integrate into the first team. Bringing someone in around 25 on a longer contract could stifle the progression of Shipston, Durrant, or Cadamarteri within our set up

Can imagine the meltdown though if he's our first signing 

Edited by Tylluan

22 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Several news outlets reporting he's off to Lincoln but if we're still in league 1 would you take him for a year if Pato moved on? 

Injury wise he seems bullet proof. I can only find an 11 day absence a couple of seasons ago. I know I picked a load of more youthful players in my recent breakdown but imagine Smith feeding off Stockton's physicality and bustle (which is why Smith and Paterson works) or throwing him in with 15 to go to make the ball stick. 

From a long term point of view, a season of Stockton could give Cadamarteri a chance to breathe and integrate into the first team. Bringing someone in around 25 on a longer contract could stifle the progression of Shipston, Durrant, or Cadamarteri within our set up

Can imagine the meltdown though if he's our first signing 

Yes if he's on a free and we're still in League 1.

Let's hope he never where's our shirt

If Lincoln got Stockton they could be playoff contenders you’d think. Been generally very solid but lacked goals 

If we were in league one and following the same blue print with others moving on I wouldn’t be too dissapointed with him on a free as he’d be a decent addition to the squad and has a decent record. But I think you need to get the ball in to him and we need a bit more pace and dynamism in the team. Especially if Windass leaves 

Edited by TheExile