2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

12 hours ago, Tylluan said:

The defender is Daniel Ayala who's just been released by Blackburn. Has been around the championship since 2013 with Forest, Norwich, Middlesbrough and Blackburn but did his hamstring in February and is still recovering. He came on in the last minute of Blackburn's final game to 'say goodbye'

He's got a concrete offer from Grenada and there's talk of Saudi interest as well so I don't think we'll get him, which is probably why he didn't feature last night. 

Cheers for letting us know mate. Any idea on the strikers? 

Would have liked Ayala thought he was brilliant at Boro when they had the Spanish guy in charge (name escapes me at the moment defender too) 

I'm quite pleased with BPF think he's better than Dawson. 

11 minutes ago, OwlMR said:

Cheers for letting us know mate. Any idea on the strikers? 

Would have liked Ayala thought he was brilliant at Boro when they had the Spanish guy in charge (name escapes me at the moment defender too) 

I'm quite pleased with BPF think he's better than Dawson. 

He's shit Reidy....proper shit 

• Like 1

Whats going on with Reading? They have had their embargo lifted and have been signing some decent-ish players for L1 a bit like ourselves and Derby have done in the last couple of seasons. And yet they are faced with a winding up order.

You would assume Man Utd would look at that and think are going to get the money for Savage if he goes on loan.

6 minutes ago, Canterburyowl said:

Joey Phuti rumoured to be off to Brentford B, has never signed his pro contract which was offered to him 3 months ago. Crann and twitter mob getting themselves in a twist about it all

There will be a meltdown if he goes. Not that he’s played a minute for the first team, to warrant a huge outcry, but if it happens it’s a bad look 

3 hours ago, Canterburyowl said:

I agree especially if he goes on to be something. We have got away with it so far with Shaw, Urgohide and White

I’d say we’ve made the correct decision not to give them the contracts their agents wanted, rather than got away with it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Canterburyowl said:

Joey Phuti rumoured to be off to Brentford B, has never signed his pro contract which was offered to him 3 months ago. Crann and twitter mob getting themselves in a twist about it all

6 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

There will be a meltdown if he goes. Not that he’s played a minute for the first team, to warrant a huge outcry, but if it happens it’s a bad look 

Anybody remember Tony Yogane or Isaac Holland???

Thought not. They went to Brentford B last season and no one gave a fuck. 

Puthi has a half decent run out in a Vanarama testimonial and he's the next Raheem Sterling. 

He's been in our academy since he was 13 so we'll pick up a fee like we did for Yogane and Holland. 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Puthi has a half decent run out in a Vanarama testimonial and he's the next Raheem Sterling. 

He's been in our academy since he was 13 so we'll pick up a fee like we did for Yogane and Holland. 

The Wednesday law of transfers 

Sadly our fan base are using this as the stick to poke DC with. The journalists have to fill air time and to get noticed they have to make every story "Owls fans fear new season as no new signings"

A post above says how it was in the 70s / 80s - the squad rotation in the summer was minimal. We probably had 15 key players and hopefully a few kids.

We have enough players to start the season. It is a massive question mark whether this current squad will be competitive or not. And my expectation is to finish 18th with it - even with a few similar quality additions 

Not one player we have been linked with - whether true or not -  to me has been an improvement quality wise. 

We do need more players but rather 3 that are a step up than 6 that aren't.

And I think they may have to wait until loan signings are more likely at the end of August 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canterburyowl said:

Joe fucking Crann. Like Bernstein and Woodward rolled into one. Wearing a baseball cap. 

3 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

What contract did they want? 

More than we were prepared to pay and in the case of Shaw as an example, more than any club has been prepared to pay since. If anyone was prepared to pay his current salary, I imagine Celtic would release him in a heartbeat. They may go on to have decent careers; as Hirst appears to be forging out, but for us at the time their contracts were up for renewal a combination of their demands financial and in terms of expectations to be in the and around the first team meant they rightly moved on. They got more money, we didnt get lumbered with paying more money. It worked for everyone. 

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

People will kick off because we’ve not brought anyone but Reece James in, yet we’ve met a lad who has played in pre season leave. Despite him not being Pele

I can’t say I’m not getting a bit concerned that we haven’t brought anybody in yet (I’m not forgetting James), but I’m not mithering just yet.

The kind of players we need are one that are actually going to make a difference, ie not just create depth or provide back up.

I think we have the nucleus it’s the giving us an edge that’s missing imho. The concern is who is talking to the likes of the PL clubs about potential loans, DC?!

3 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I can’t say I’m not getting a bit concerned that we haven’t brought anybody in yet (I’m not forgetting James), but I’m not mithering just yet.

The kind of players we need are one that are actually going to make a difference, ie not just create depth or provide back up.

I think we have the nucleus it’s the giving us an edge that’s missing imho. The concern is who is talking to the likes of the PL clubs about potential loans, DC?!

Yeah I think that’s part of the problem, likely asking analysts to step up too. Sounds like they are bringing the former WBA guy in to pick this stuff up 

12 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

As pointed out in this thread, fans these days seem to need the hit of a transfer. Irrespective of whether they turn out to be any good or not.

Wednesday have had large scale ins / outs these last few years so a quieter one is a bit strange.

There is no hiding we are short on numbers, but the mithering in our fan base, fuelled a tad by the local media is a bit mad. We have 16 players, all bases covered. We are only playing weekly in the league and loans invariably are last minute in the window.

The question is whether this squad is competitive by Championship standards. The Hull City match will be the acid test on that 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Will we re-sign Heneghan? Xisco says 'Ask the big boss'

I've read that article twice and can't see anywhere where Xisco says 'ask the big boss'.

He suggests that he and 'the big boss' will have a chat about whether or not they wish to retain Heneghan. He also seems to infer a common sense approach where any decision will likely be based on a judgement of the players ongoing recovery/fitness.

I've never paid much lip service to local media bias, but that's an awfully misleading headline IMO

• Like 1