2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Thinking of the starting line ups based on the incoming players and can definitely see a reduced role for Bannan. 

Think a couple of last season's players may be seeking a sit down with Munoz to see where they fit in

I’m not getting carried away about any player we have signed just yet, there’s a fair few signings who have never played in England and will need to settle.

But… they are the right age.

I still think we should be exploiting the Premier League Loan market to go and get some attacking quality especially wide and down the middle. And I think Josh Onomah would be a good signing. I think we need a number 10 who plays off the front. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’m not getting carried away about any player we have signed just yet, there’s a fair few signings who have never played in England and will need to settle.

I still think we should be exploiting the Premier League Loan market to go and get some attacking quality especially wide and down the middle. And I think Josh Onomah would be a good signing. I think we need a number 10 who plays off the front. 

Due to all the PL outgoings to Saudi we could have to bide our time for their squads to be complete before they allow loans out.

3 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Quite possibly, and I’ve seen the Saudi window doesn’t close until mid September.

Saw on SSN earlier that FIFA and the Saudi Pro League seem to disagree on when it closes, FIFA claim it’s ~20th and the “SPL” (Scots are going to love that acronym) say 7th. Either way it could mess with the PL. 

40 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Completely agree until we get to Onomah: simply don't know nowadays.  Ref. Your final no.2 comment: wouldn't that be Windass?

1 minute ago, Tylluan said:

@KrolMong

Would you take Bannan as a Ward-Prowse style 10 if he could stop himself from dropping too deep? Or Windass (as Owling has said) if we needed the 10 to play more traditionally off the 9s shoulder?

I think his (Bannans) best position is in front of the midfield, with his defensive responsibility being more about attaching himself to the deepest opposition midfield player or slotting onto the left flank. He’s a country mile better than every player in the squad from 30 yards in, both centrally and wide.

I actually have no issues in Windass being a 10 off a 9. Especially if the 9 is a battering ram or has pace and power and allows Windass to roam. I don’t like Windass playing at the top of a 3, because I don’t think he has that creators nouse. But, what he is very good at, is when he’s fit he’s very good at getting beyond people and down the sides of teams. That long run last season was a combination of Windass getting behind and Bannan being a threat 30 yards out, knowing that Vaulks and Byers could drop in as a two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I think his (Bannans) best position is in front of the midfield, with his defensive responsibility being more about attaching himself to the deepest opposition midfield player or slotting onto the left flank. He’s a country mile better than every player in the squad from 30 yards in, both centrally and wide.

I actually have no issues in Windass being a 10 off a 9. Especially if the 9 is a battering ram or has pace and power and allows Windass to roam. I don’t like Windass playing at the top of a 3, because I don’t think he has that creators nouse. But, what he is very good at, is when he’s fit he’s very good at getting beyond people and down the sides of teams. That long run last season was a combination of Windass getting behind and Bannan being a threat 30 yards out, knowing that Vaulks and Byers could drop in as a two.

I have to say that we, (even the most observant of fans - and not bunging me up, btw), can't really pronounce on such as those subjects effectively (yet) because we all (I expect) simply don't yet know enough about how effective our new overseas signings prove to be in our league.  Realistically, "watch this space"!   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I have to say that we, (even the most observant of fans - and not bunging me up, btw), can't really pronounce on such as those subjects effectively (yet) because we all (I expect) simply don't yet know enough about how effective our new overseas signings prove to be in our league.  Realistically, "watch this space"!   

Agreed Owling. The positive for me is the players are the right age.

I still think we are short but we’ve bought ourself until the end of the window to sort as much as we can. A box to box midfield player, a wide left forward with pace. A bully or athlete of a number 9 and a keeper. We can do all of that on loan if we need to.

Pleased with the attributes of the players we are bringing in. As others have said we might need some domestic loans or players with a bit more championship experience to transform to a top half team. Get the impression we could see a fair few more come in? 

23 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I wonder if we'll let some CBs go now, (besides the released Ben Heneghan), as we've got a lot of them if we're only going to use two at once. 

Apparently the Dingles are close to signing an experienced CB, could it be Big Ben. Although he doesn’t fit their spec age wise.

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Michael Smith linked with a move to Derby again, if it allows us to strengthen then I'd flog.

Me too.

He’s got his uses, but I just don’t see him fitting into the system based on what we’ve seen so far.

although I’d be happy to be wrong as I don’t dislike him. 

Smith didn’t fit into Moore’s approach either for most of the season, but he still got 20 goals.

A faster approach, would be good for him. Wingers cutting in from the “wrong side” wouldn’t.

I think he could get double figures given a run of games. But if better is available and affordable then move him on.

I don’t think it’s worth letting him go unless derby cover his wages (we had to outbid a couple of champ sides on that) plus a fee. I can’t see derby doing that or being able to unless they are selling someone?

Depends who we have in mind of course but I think smith is such a useful team player in both boxes and he can still run the channels more than Gregory which will be key for us this season. Great penalty on him too. I get we are playing a different style now but even Nuhiu with zero pace or agility was a handy player for all sorts of Wednesday teams 

If Munoz does go with with preferred front 3, Smith will desperately struggle. The 9 has to be able to hold the ball up, be a bit of a battering ram and bring people in. Smith’s biggest weakness is that. Warne recognized that at Rotherham and basically had him not doing it.

Gregory is several levels above Smith in that regards.

To use Smith to his full potential, it has to be in a two, and someone needs to do all that work for him.

• Like 1

To give a better stat about Smith. He scored in 13 league games last season from 37 starts (including playoffs). Of his 17 league goals, 6 were pens. I’m not down playing his creds, but I thought his goal scoring exploits were lower than they should have been, especially considering what he also missed.

• Like 2

Based solely on last season, according to the BBC stats, Smith:

Scored more goals than Gregory (20 vs 11)

Provided more assists (8 vs 5)

Played more games (48 vs 46)

Averaged more goals per 90 minutes played (0.52 vs 0.34)

Achieved a less 'minutes per goal' ratio (174 vs 263)

Had more shots (93 vs 63)

Enjoyed a higher 'goal conversion' ratio (22% vs 17%)

and had a higher shot accuracy rate (56% vs 48%)

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RichWednesday said:

100% they want him, but as of last week, they didn’t think we would let him go as we are playing him, week later and things have changed with incoming players.  

We only signed one winger and the rest were defenders? Odd he didn’t play any part tonight though 

Edited by TheExile

27 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Be shocked if Smith doesn’t go 

This definitely.

I like smith but he’s about as quick as me and I’m a fat overweight 40 something pisshead ****.

when musaba got clear he was like lightning compared to smith and he still got tackled. We need pace.