Some shit news.

You might know him, you might not; but a former OO’er and a really good friend of mine Beastie, has been going through a cancer battle recently and went in for an op after chemo to hopefully rid of the bastard thing.

Unfortunately, he’s informed people that it’s spread and was deemed inoperable.

Since I started with OO, back in the early noughties, he’s always been someone I’ve been to games with, spoke to about Wednesday and more.

Gutted for him, his wife, his family.

It absolutely floored me yesterday hearing the news.

Fuck cancer. 

• Sad 2

I've had a few run in's with him on social media for differeing opinions but was saddened when I read his Tweet yesterday, devastating new for him and his family and friends, I really feel for them and having just lost a very close relative to that horrible disease I know how they'll be feeling.

• Like 2

I remember he was always on here when I first joined the site in the Rivals glory days, always seemed ok to me but I also understand he wasn't everyones cup of tea either. Can't remember what happened now to spark the great divide and defection/formation to OwlsAlive and their strange take on the English language. I remember he got me a Wednesday wrist band once and sent it to me, back in the days when Lance Armstrong made them a 'thing'. Sad news gutted for him and his family, Hollie used to post on here also I seem to recall, could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Canterburyowl said:

I remember he was always on here when I first joined the site in the Rivals glory days, always seemed ok to me but I also understand he wasn't everyones cup of tea either. Can't remember what happened now to spark the great divide and defection/formation to OwlsAlive and their strange take on the English language. I remember he got me a Wednesday wrist band once and sent it to me, back in the days when Lance Armstrong made them a 'thing'. Sad news gutted for him and his family, Hollie used to post on here also I seem to recall, could be wrong.

Rupert Murdoch buying Rivals (from Sporting Life) and closing all 92 sites down overnight, with no warning. 

Some started OwlsAlive and we managed to get OwlsOnline going again in a new format. Some smoggies got another group going, including Wednesday, though that might have been later.  Some of us were on that, too, for a while.  Fans were all over the place for years. 

• Like 2

We were friends for a time, sort of fell out at a bad time in my life over some words he'd clumsily used (but without malice intended) and until now had not ever really made our peace.  It's horrible for him and his family and I hope they're able to enjoy whatever time he has left, I reckon knowing him that he'll squeeze everything he can out of what time is remaining.

But Yes, fuck cancer.

• Like 1

Really sad news this.

I met Beastie a few times in the early 'Rivals' days and thought he was a decent bloke.

Of course he and Holly are plastered all over the place in photos of fans celebrating at Hillsborough, so it almost feels like we've kept in touch, even though I don't really know him.

Saw him after the PO final at Wembley and had a quick chat. I thought he looked a bit unwell/thin at the time, now I know why.

If you're reading Steve, All the best mate, enjoy whatever time you have left.

My family and me are still good friends with Steve, Janice and Hollie. Steve messaged me when he was first diagnosed with cancer and it absolutely floored me - but knowing how fit and strong he was I was really confident that he’d have the physical and mental strength to beat it.

I was absolutely devastated to read Steve’s message yesterday and it left me feeling distraught for him and his family. I’ve not met many people like Steve. He has always been a larger than life character with a genuinely positive outlook on life, and whilst some might not be his biggest fan (and I’ve had my run ins with him as well over the years), a more genuine, helpful and caring bloke you’ll struggle to meet.

I just hope he defies the medical professionals and somehow beats what is an absolute utter bastard of a disease, but if he doesn’t then I hope he’s able to enjoy what time he has left and do all the things he wants to do, in the company of his loving family and many friends.

• Like 6

Don't know him but perhaps might have been introduced at an away game. 

It's a shitter of a disease, the older you get sadly the more you know who battle it or more positively have survived it. Sadly a bit close to home as it got my Mum, the mother in law and the step father in law.

Thought from the title this was another thread about the Star.

But seriously, I have never met him but do recall Beastie as a very prolific poster on previous incarnations of this forum and was a shame he left.

Always sad to lose a proper Wednesdayite, hope he fights it as long as he can. 

I met him a couple of times, very decent guy with a unique sense of fun. Was a firefighter as a career iirc, it seemed he had a lovely bond with Hollie of all things Wednesday, as has been said he's in a lot of media pics, perhaps due to his front of kop seat but more likely his outpouring of love for his club.

Fight hard Beastie.

UTO 

Like Bellsview me and my mrs and step-daughter have been great friends with Steve and his family for many years now and are finding it hard to take in yesterdays truly awful news

Have travelled with him and Hollie or met up with them at many many away games and me and him have been to loads of gigs together

An absolutely awful state of affairs 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Like Bellsview me and my mrs and step-daughter have been great friends with Steve and his family for many years now and are finding it hard to take in yesterdays truly awful news

Have travelled with him and Hollie or met up with them at many many away games and me and him have been to loads of gigs together

An absolutely awful state of affairs 

Last time I saw Steve was at a gig in town, Summer last year. 

Awful news to wake up to yesterday. It only felt like yesterday when I thought I was going to get squashed at Leyton Orient from a giant hug that was let's just say, influenced by the Special Oasis. If you've ever met him and he's on that, you know you'll have some great company for the day.

Not just that, bowling nights, golf days and some of the bands he'd discover are a great listen on his radio show.

Devastated for him, for Hollie, for Janice and for Charlie. He doesn't deserve to go this way at all. 

• Like 3

My first time up to Sheffield, it was Beastie who said, 'get up to the Travs, get a pint in, and we'll show you around'.  Hillsborough might've just been another box ticked (like so many other English footy grounds) for me, but sixteen (wow) years on, and I've been back how many times?, and probably got more mates at Wednesday (including Beastie, obvs) than I do at 'my own' club, if I'm honest.  

All because Beastie won't just leave it at 'hi mate'.  He's as 'engaging' a fellow as I've ever met. 

It's a reyt wrench, this.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...