Some shit news.

The last Thursday of every month I do a quiz at my local. Tonight my wife came along to accompany me for the first time ever and we had a great night - locals said it was the best quiz I’ve ever delivered.

We’ve not long been dropped off at home and as we entered the house my daughter told us of Beastie’s passing. She was mortified to have to tell us. I cried as though a family member had passed and I’m absolutely devastated at the news - I still feel numb and can’t quite believe it. 

So many happy memories, so many good times. A bloke who gave me chances on Owlsalive when everyone else wanted me banned. A bloke who never turned his back on me when so many did.

There will never be another Steve Morris. He epitomised everything good about Wednesday. He had such a positive outlook on life and embraced everyone he met, leaving a lasting impression on them. If you met Beastie you never forgot it, or him.

Ironic that I delivered a quiz tonight, given that he was the master of them. Maybe he was there with me, making sure I did a good job. I take comfort from even thinking that he might have been. During lockdown, when he put on his online quizzes me, my wife, my daughter and her boyfriend couldn’t wait for them. We looked forward to them, couldn’t wait for them and laughed all the way through them. They made lockdown more bearable and we lived for those quizzes and the opportunity to interact and laugh alongside other likeminded people. And my god did him and his wife and soul mate Janice entertain us.

I can’t think of anyone less deserving of something like this happening to them as Beastie, or his amazing, wonderful and loving family. Why is it that so many honest, decent and loved people get taken so early? Why is life so cruel?

I feel honoured and privileged to have known you Beastie and life, along with the world, will not be as bright without you - but I am thankful that at least I got to know you and spend some quality time with you. You touched my life and I am all the better for that.

Rest in peace my friend - we’ll always be forever Wednesday, no matter where we watch them from, won’t we! 😢💙🦉🤍

• Like 15
  • Sad 2

This has been a tough day! Reading the daily update that Hollie posted today was gutwrenching, heart breaking, you name it, that was it. I knew it was coming given that photo before Christmas but even still, its' so upsetting.

This is a gentleman that if there were 500,000,000 more of, the world would be a happier place. He brought joy, smiles, happiness, fun and so much entertainment to the world. 

Man I wish his sat-nav would work for one final time so that he could do a very long road trip to his new life via Charlies 16th Birthday. 

Sleep tight Steve Morris and thank you. 

• Like 3

Don't think I've been on here for some 15 years or so, but just wanted to say that I'm very sad to hear the news about Steve.

First met him some years back at a reserve game at Hillsborough against the Blades. Seem to remember that Billy Sharp, who was, at the time, knocking in goals for Scunny, was sat right next to us. We'd been heavily linked with him (and I think there was the Brian Laws link to add fuel) and we wondered whether he was at the club to sign for us or just catching up with some Blades pals.

I always loved Beastie's rambles. Going on what i'm reading in some of the comments, he didn't see eye to eye with everyone (he was a passionate, opinionated man), but always seems to have commanded the respect of everyone, regardless.

I always found him to be a gentleman and a sort of father figure on the old Rivals site.

I don't get down to Hillsborough much these days, but have always taken great pleasure in seeing Beastie and Holly featuring regularly in photos from the matches.

Lovely to see so many of the old names still around, despite the circumstances. I hope you're all keeping well.

RIP Beastie. A true Wednesday gent xxx 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DanOwl said:

Don't think I've been on here for some 15 years or so, but just wanted to say that I'm very sad to hear the news about Steve.

First met him some years back at a reserve game at Hillsborough against the Blades. Seem to remember that Billy Sharp, who was, at the time, knocking in goals for Scunny, was sat right next to us. We'd been heavily linked with him (and I think there was the Brian Laws link to add fuel) and we wondered whether he was at the club to sign for us or just catching up with some Blades pals.

I always loved Beastie's rambles. Going on what i'm reading in some of the comments, he didn't see eye to eye with everyone (he was a passionate, opinionated man), but always seems to have commanded the respect of everyone, regardless.

I always found him to be a gentleman and a sort of father figure on the old Rivals site.

I don't get down to Hillsborough much these days, but have always taken great pleasure in seeing Beastie and Holly featuring regularly in photos from the matches.

Lovely to see so many of the old names still around, despite the circumstances. I hope you're all keeping well.

RIP Beastie. A true Wednesday gent xxx 

Great to see you on here, Dan. Hope you and your brother are well!

• Like 2

Very sad news. I feel for his family and friends. I didn´t know him personally. But in the days when he was on the radio hosting a show, he actually played the song I was asking. That was a nice gesture. And when I was trying to help my daughter to find an internship in England, he offered one in the radio station and even offered accomodation at his place, which was a huge gesture. For a stranger, no less. I will remember him for the generous character he was. RIP .

• Like 4

7 hours ago, pook said:

I'm not 100% sure why, but that is absolutely awesome.  

To paraphrase Faithless

Football is a church 

It's where I go to heal my hurt

One of my last conversations with my Dad in hospital, was the backdrop of Wednesday conceding late on. We gave a collective sigh

I've started to write in this thread, then deleted so many times.

When Cal and I first started to go to Hillsborough as dad and lsd, we had just moved from Brizzle to Epworth and I found Owls Alive and Owlsonline. At a certain age Cal wanted to go onto the top away from the South. So I asked where people go and Tee, Beastie and Hollie asked us to join them at the rromt of the Kop with Kizza, Liam Mark and others. Even when I was working away Tee would pick up Cal at Meadowhell and along with Beastie and Hollie they would look after him even when we made the player award to Matk Beevers. We had a real Comradery going for a few seasons with Beastie an ever-present. 

On my own on the way to Wembley in 2016 I ended up in a seat across from Beastie and Hollie and I imbibed in the famous "Special Oasis". Excellent stuff.

We had many discussions about gigs we'd been to and the good old Butlins punk weekenders and Stone Valley festivals with Stranglers and Boomtown Rats headlining.

A proper gent. I really hoped he'd fight and win. I lost my brother in a similar way. He was called Steve and was a fireman who passed in 1998.

Cancers a bastard. Too many too young 😪 

RIP Beastie, join the blue watch up there with my bro!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, EpworthOwl said:

I've started to write in this thread, then deleted so many times.

When Cal and I first started to go to Hillsborough as dad and lsd, we had just moved from Brizzle to Epworth and I found Owls Alive and Owlsonline. At a certain age Cal wanted to go onto the top away from the South. So I asked where people go and Tee, Beastie and Hollie asked us to join them at the rromt of the Kop with Kizza, Liam Mark and others. Even when I was working away Tee would pick up Cal at Meadowhell and along with Beastie and Hollie they would look after him even when we made the player award to Matk Beevers. We had a real Comradery going for a few seasons with Beastie an ever-present. 

On my own on the way to Wembley in 2016 I ended up in a seat across from Beastie and Hollie and I imbibed in the famous "Special Oasis". Excellent stuff.

We had many discussions about gigs we'd been to and the good old Butlins punk weekenders and Stone Valley festivals with Stranglers and Boomtown Rats headlining.

A proper gent. I really hoped he'd fight and win. I lost my brother in a similar way. He was called Steve and was a fireman who passed in 1998.

Cancers a bastard. Too many too young 😪 

RIP Beastie, join the blue watch up there with my bro!

Good to read, Ian, but sorry to read of your brother.  Bless him and you, pal. I'll raise a glass to "Blue Watch" up there.  🍻

• Like 1

A devastating loss. Used to have regular contact with him and meet at away games and stuff. The old chat room on Rivals during a Wednesday match holds fond memories for me. 

An extremely funny, caring man. So full of love and kindness to give. 

Last time I saw him was at Burton in April and he was in top form. Little did we know what was around the corner. 

Thoughts are with Hollie and the rest of his family. I only know Hollie from his family and to see her appearance at PNE tells you everything you need to know about the character and resilience of the girl. It would have been so east to avoid the emotion of being there and the silence before must have been heart wrenching for her. Incredible spirit. 

RIP Steve

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Southy_SWFC said:

Stick around, Tink!

Will do mate

When I went AWOL before it was a really tough time and since then I've thought about owlsonline often.

I saw the FB page and knew I should say hello once more 😁

• Like 3