2022/23 Wednesday transfer thread...

9 minutes ago, Wawaw said:

I’d love him back but No chance of getting him. He’s probably wanting a minimum 15k a week in wages. 

Are you suggesting that a player who signed for Chelsea, at a point in his career where it was pretty close to certain that he’d never actually play for them, is somehow motivated by money?

2 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Michael Hector released by Fulham, would he drop down to division 1 & would you have him?

Think I would rather have Alfie Masson, they have also released. Wouldn’t mind both. Notice both Jonjoe Kenny and Asmir Begovic are out of contract at Everton according to transfermarkt.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fowls said:

Are you suggesting that a player who signed for Chelsea, at a point in his career where it was pretty close to certain that he’d never actually play for them, is somehow motivated by money?

Most people are motivated by money  

5 hours ago, Reesh said:

Pre season is going to be a tad odd this year, with our league starting earlier I assume we'd be back mid to late June, with players still contracted til the end of June we may not have new players in til July 1st. 

Domestic window opens June 10th so we could have new players in for the start of preseason. 

European window opens July 1st for Paixao's latest batch of 2nd division Germans and some dodgy Portuguese

10 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Domestic window opens June 10th so we could have new players in for the start of preseason. 

European window opens July 1st for Paixao's latest batch of 2nd division Germans and some dodgy Portuguese

It's more the players being paid by their old clubs til 30th, would you want to be paying them as well 

15 minutes ago, Reesh said:

It's more the players being paid by their old clubs til 30th, would you want to be paying them as well 

I'm aware of one pre-contract signing where the player has waived his June wages in order to move but it's  been swallowed by the signing on fee and he'll officially join his new club on the 10th.

Maybe this will be the norm for some early deals? Players 'waiving' the last month's wages to secure a contract that might not be there on July 1st. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Morley Owl said:

Think I would rather have Alfie Masson, they have also released. Wouldn’t mind both. Notice both Jonjoe Kenny and Asmir Begovic are out of contract at Everton according to transfermarkt.

I wouldn't touch Kenny or Begovic with a bargepole.

As for Hector, no thanks. He was crap first time round. Never again.

1 minute ago, TheExile said:

Is O’Connor any good? 

The likes of Hector, Mawson, Flint would be class at this level but you’d think they’d have interest in the championship 

Monk brought him over from Ireland to Leeds he is now at mid table 4th tier Bradford 

Based on that, he is fucking wank. 

46 minutes ago, Paul from Wisewood said:

'crap' give over

he won player of the year didnt he?

Couldn't care less if he won World Player of the Year when he was with us, I simply didn't rate the bloke.

Saw him play in Scotland for a while beforehand as well. Absolute joke he ended up at Chelsea. Pretty much sums up football in the 21st century.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Romaine Sawyers at WBA not getting a new contract. I suspect he will stay in Championship, but he's a mobile aggressive midfielder who I'd like for us, especially if Massimo leaves

Always thought of him being an energetic type. Can’t say I know much more about him though. 

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Always thought of him being an energetic type. Can’t say I know much more about him though. 

Wasn’t he at Brentford? 

if it’s who I’m thinking of he’s a Reyt player. Doubt we’d get him 

7 minutes ago, Wawaw said:

Wasn’t he at Brentford? 

if it’s who I’m thinking of he’s a Reyt player. Doubt we’d get him 

He was. And yes, unfortunately, we probably won't. But I thought same of Gregory. If you don't ask..... 

On 23/05/2022 at 21:29, Tylluan said:

Actually, this made me think about works permits/GBE's and signing non British/Irish players going forward. We (and other non PL clubs) will be limited to signing players from a certain number of leagues. No much chance of picking up players from non top flight/Band 1 foreign leagues in my opinion.

As an exercise, I checked how many points one our most recent signing from the German second division (a band 4 league) would have got.

As far as I can tell, Julian Borner would have got 10 points, and you need 15 points to be granted a GBE, basically he would not have been able to sign.

Syalla Sow, on the other hand, coming from a Band 1 league, gets 19 points, easily enough for a GBE.

I can show my working if required 🙂

Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not but has anybody seen that stat from last season......38% of goals conceded were from set-pieces!!   Thirty fuckin Eight!!!

Now I knew it was bad but....by fuck.....if that's not DM and the recruitment team's first point of address.....we may as well pack it all in.....!

10 minutes ago, MPB said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not but has anybody seen that stat from last season......38% of goals conceded were from set-pieces!!   Thirty fuckin Eight!!!

Now I knew it was bad but....by fuck.....if that's not DM and the recruitment team's first point of address.....we may as well pack it all in.....!

I mentioned time and again our failure from defending set pieces, for a manager who was a centre half that's fucking diabolical 

38% on its own is a meaningless stat.

If we’d conceded more goals from open play would things be better, or just look better? 

We conceded 50 in total which is less than Wycombe and Sunderland, and only 6 more than Wigan and MK. We all know that we conceded too many goals from corners and free kicks, but how many did we actually concede? 19. How does this compare to other teams?

I suspect that since signing Storey and Dean and having “proper” defenders regularly at the back, set piece goals conceded have been less frequent.

Be interested to know the % that the other top 6 teams conceded in defending  set pieces, ours ight be ridiculously high in comparison....which in itself stopped us going up in autos...?

Also shows we defended well in open play....

1 hour ago, MPB said:

Sounds like Stocksbridge Park Steels Under 16s.  

Because of this I try and get them to avoid giving cheap corners and free kicks and same applies to Wednesday.

Another young Owl linked with a move away

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/talented-sheffield-wednesday-starlet-catches-eye-of-premier-league-outfit-3710948

Talented Sheffield Wednesday starlet catches eye of Premier League outfit

Sheffield Wednesday youngster, Rio Shipston, is believed to have attracted interest from a couple of clubs after a string of strong performances in 2021/22.

Shipston, who turned 17 a few months ago, will begin the second year of his Owls scholarship when the youth sides return next month, and played a big part in the impressive form of Andy Holdsworth’s U18s last time out.

At one point last season the teenager was asked to turn out for England in a behind-closed-doors fixture, and The Star understands that both Brighton & Hove Albion and Norwich City are keeping tabs on his situation and his progression.

12 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Apparently the Argentinean team have tabled a £1m bid for Windass.....

Fucking take the money

We’d be silly not to take a million for him. As good as he can be, and could be going forward, he’s also made out of weetabix

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

It'll be a test of DC's new everybody has a price stance. 

If they are paying a million for a player who's got a season left on his contract and spent more time with the physio than the 1st team then we're pulling their pants down. 

Absolutely this

1 hour ago, bricat said:

Didn't Millwall offer a similar amount in the last transfer window?

An initial bid is usually a starter. I'd sit on it and see how far they will go.

This. Windass is decent at our level, no question. Can we get as good, for same or less money? Of course if he actually wants to go, which I suspect he does, then he goes. 

I think he's worth more than a million 2us