2022/23 Wednesday transfer thread...

Reesh

I don't think Oliver is that bad tbh. Looked like he's improved a bit from what (little) I'd seen previously. I'd hope we can do better though. 

The lad at Hull, not my cup of tea, but he might be effective at our level. 

Wonder if any chance of getting Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley? Been injured a while, so ideal

1 hour ago, Canterburyowl said:

They love Oliver at Gills, so best he stays there. Seen him twice this season, and he didnt do much in either game (vs us and Plymouth).

He scored against us and was a handful for the defenders. 

He’s a limited player but the things he is good at are some of the things we are lacking. Would be a great option for certain situations and I’d be quite happy if we brought him in as long as it wasn’t the only striker. He’s scored a few in recent seasons 

We must have an idea of deals done already for players coming in and out. We’ve lost 5 centre halves, two by choice so hopefully got done lined up. And offering a deal to Wildsmith makes me think we know either Dawson is on his way or is going to be our number 1.

I don't agree with letting Hutch go, his fitness has been better and I'd still say he's a valuable squad member, will take some replacing.

Got rid of some dross on that list, agree with some of the above comments on Dean, good player at this level but you need someone available for more than 50% of the season, Storey I would love to see back but I think he'll be on to better things.

Surprised about Wildsmith, don't think either him or Dawosn are our number 1 and thought one of them would be moved on.

2 minutes ago, Fat Eric said:

I don't agree with letting Hutch go, his fitness has been better and I'd still say he's a valuable squad member, will take some replacing.

Got rid of some dross on that list, agree with some of the above comments on Dean, good player at this level but you need someone available for more than 50% of the season, Storey I would love to see back but I think he'll be on to better things.

Surprised about Wildsmith, don't think either him or Dawosn are our number 1 and thought one of them would be moved on.

Bit harsh on Dean, his injury with us was the first significant one he’s had. Yes, it’s our luck but he’s not got form for being injury prone.

We've not retained Wildsmith. We've offered him a new contract. Whether he stays will depend on three things. What's the contract length? What's the money like? What's the chance of regular football?

It'll be up to him if he wants to try and find a number 1 spot elsewhere or sit on our bench for another season. I'd hazard to say that if he chooses the latter then that'll be 3 seasons as a reserve and he'll find it harder to find a decent team when he does leave. 

52 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Hearing the Hutch release is sort of a mutual agreement thing. He wants regular football and DM has told him that may not be in his plans. 

But he might be back at Hillsborough next season. He already has offers

QPR 100%

Surprised about Hutch, and Wildsmith. Had heard a rumour that an offer for Hutch to move south had been made, which I wouldn’t begrudge him accepting. Wildsmith being offered a deal is a number two deal. Not surprised by Dunkley or Berahino. Be nice to get the others who have been offered a deal tied down, especially Hunt and Luongo.

Lots of holes to fill. Especially centre half, Centre midfield and up top. And critically, goalkeeper.

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Astonished? Why H?

There's still this persistent rumour that Dawson is hard to work with, doesn't listen, and is arrogant with it. It sort of bears up with him being the one that went out on loan whereas it should have been Wildsmith going out on a shopwindow loan, with his contract ending this season.

There was also stuff creeping out of Exeter that, while the fans loved him, he didn't endear himself to some of his teammates. 

From a football point of view, I think he found his level and that's why he performed. If you watch Exeter on YouTube there are still scenarios where he's in the wrong position or makes the wrong judgement on go or stay. He's made some right rickets but at League 2 he's got away with quite a few. And he's still pushing the ball out towards the penalty spot instead of to the side. That's 5 years and around 4 GK coaches that haven't been able to coach that out of him. 

We need better if we're aiming for automatic and even top 6. 

• Like 1