New manager thread

I like the suggestion of Bruno Lage but I’d be surprised to see him at S6. Plan B would be Hughton but I’m a bit concerned about how committed he’d be to the cause

Id take Bruce (if he can turn it around, even after the way he left), Smith, Manning and Warburton

No way - most of the nsames that have been suggested tbh including Bullen, Warnock, Wilder and Cowleys

Left field Stuart Gray

6 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Got them into the play offs as I recall, but not sure if that was his work or building on someone else's?! 

His experience at Gillingham ticks a lot of boxes, he was able to work with Scally and saved them from almost certain relegation last season.

Have a look where they were when he took over. He didn't save them last season, he barely got them out of the predicament he put them in. 

Without wanting to ridicule your suggestion, Harris would be a scandalous appointment. 

Oscar Garcia getting mentions. Some good pedigree but some question marks too. Reputation apparently for bringing younger players through. 

His stats in isolation are checkered but mitigated maybe by circumstances (war in Israel in his second spell after successful first ) and illness of his daughter for 8 years before her passing in November last year a month after his dismissal from Reims.

Left field possibility but perhaps career stats too similar to Xisco’s for many.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Oscar Garcia getting mentions. Some good pedigree but some question marks too. Reputation apparently for bringing younger players through. 

His stats in isolation are checkered but mitigated maybe by circumstances (war in Israel in his second spell after successful first ) and illness of his daughter for 8 years before her passing in November last year a month after his dismissal from Reims.

Left field possibility but perhaps career stats too similar to Xisco’s for many.

Should stand him in good stead for working with DC.

• Haha 1

Garcia’s CV looks okay actually.  He’s won league titles in two countries, and taken over a team who were in a relegation battle and kept them up (Celta Vigo).  A lot more experience than Xisco.  Also he’s a physically bigger bloke so might have a bit more touchline presence.  Could do worse, and in fact repeatedly have done.

• Like 2

Looking back at my previous post in this thread about acceptable criteria for a left field appointment, and rewatching some of Xisco’s interviews, I think the point about English fluency is critical.  Whoever comes in will need to motivate a squad which clearly lacks self belief.  Xisco’s English was passable, but he clearly wasn’t confident enough in his vocabulary to sound charismatic when speaking in English, along the lines of a Pep, Jose, Klopp or even Carlos.

39 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Garcia’s CV looks okay actually.  He’s won league titles in two countries, and taken over a team who were in a relegation battle and kept them up (Celta Vigo).  A lot more experience than Xisco.  Also he’s a physically bigger bloke so might have a bit more touchline presence.  Could do worse, and in fact repeatedly have done.

Yes agreed. When you scratch below the surface there's some good stuff. Managed in the championzhip too taking Brighton  to playoffs. Looks like he's taken a year off after death of his daughter after an 8 year battle with a brain tumour. Talk of health issues based on suspected heart attack when at Watford. Turned out to be a panic attack ...... just after daughter's illness diagnosed.

As you say could do worse and have done.

54 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yes agreed. When you scratch below the surface there's some good stuff. Managed in the championzhip too taking Brighton  to playoffs. Looks like he's taken a year off after death of his daughter after an 8 year battle with a brain tumour. Talk of health issues based on suspected heart attack when at Watford. Turned out to be a panic attack ...... just after daughter's illness diagnosed.

As you say could do worse and have done.

Appreciate you taking the time to dig on this.

Awful what the guy’s been through with his daughter.

The only article doing the rounds on the swfc hashtag (I know, I know) is that appalling YorkshireLive one that makes him sound utterly shite and picked a pretty unflattering pic of him to boot.
(Not a dig at Hoyland for sharing that here either btw - it literally does make him out to be Xisco 2.0 and I was glum whilst reading it and didn’t fancy reading further)

A quick google sees plenty more articles, not local, with a way more positive outlook on him in general, on him being linked with us, and on him being linked with other champ teams over the summer.

I’m not saying he’s my number 1 choice or anything. But now I’d be less pissed off if it happened, versus how I felt after that first article.

Probably all moot as it could be anyone that gets the job. But will never understand why our local press are such a bunch of doom merchants and sh*t stirring c*nts. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NomadOwl said:

Appreciate you taking the time to dig on this.

Awful what the guy’s been through with his daughter.

The only article doing the rounds on the swfc hashtag (I know, I know) is that appalling YorkshireLive one that makes him sound utterly shite and picked a pretty unflattering pic of him to boot.
(Not a dig at Hoyland for sharing that here either btw - it literally does make him out to be Xisco 2.0 and I was glum whilst reading it and didn’t fancy reading further)

A quick google sees plenty more articles, not local, with a way more positive outlook on him in general, on him being linked with us, and on him being linked with other champ teams over the summer.

I’m not saying he’s my number 1 choice or anything. But now I’d be less pissed off if it happened, versus how I felt after that first article.

Probably all moot as it could be anyone that gets the job. But will never understand why our local press are such a bunch of doom merchants and sh*t stirring c*nts. 

Because a lot of our fans on social media are doom merchants and sh*t stirring c*nts - and seem to revel in it - so they get the most engagement when they create articles in that vein.

Edited by Chelters
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NomadOwl said:

Oh I know why they do it in that sense.

But it’s a cycle they could choose to break if they had any integrity about them.
The choosing to eek out a living feeding off of the negativity is the part I’ll never understand. 

Unfortunately it is all about the clicks now and bad news and doom and gloom seems to get more of them.  

• Like 2

On 05/10/2023 at 12:18, Otto_Man said:

Thought about it and still unimpressed with the names circulated.

Want = None of those linked - might have been Colin short-term if supporters could accept him. Most can’t so he can feck off!

Don't want = all of those linked

Left field = Danny Röhl

• Like 2

Garcia is an interesting option purely because he’s a manager who had good pedigree as a player, and actually was really highly rated as a coach until post Salzburg. And then the wheels have fallen off a little bit which is why he’s being touted.

He’s a significant step up in pedigree on all of our previous foreign coaches. But, he’s been very nomadic since 2017 and not had much success. The wheels well and truly fell off at Celts Vigo very very quickly.

He may still be favorite and some apparent quotes from him re the Wednesday job.

For me I just can't see Colin taking it even if offered. I am sure that very quickly him and DC would clash.

Colins record speaks for itself but he's a blunt through and through, just wouldn't work and I can see chaos should he get the job.

Personally I reckon he just fancies being offered it and knocking it back.

He's in his 70s he REALLY doesn't need the hassle.

9 minutes ago, Lee said:

He may still be favorite and some apparent quotes from him re the Wednesday job.

For me I just can't see Colin taking it even if offered. I am sure that very quickly him and DC would clash.

Colins record speaks for itself but he's a blunt through and through, just wouldn't work and I can see chaos should he get the job.

Personally I reckon he just fancies being offered it and knocking it back.

He's in his 70s he REALLY doesn't need the hassle.

Hope he turns it down then keels over the pig ****

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Biggs, Miller, Staton & Crann or pushing the Warnock narrative and it’s doing my head in!

Apparently only that prick can save us.. sod off!

That bunch of ***** dream is for Warnock to come in, take us down and to say how bad a chairman DC is for the greatest EFL manager of all time to fail under him, wankers the lot

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Biggs, Miller, Staton & Crann or pushing the Warnock narrative and it’s doing my head in!

Apparently only that prick can save us.. sod off!

Miller apparently surprised by the strength of the anti Wanker feeling though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winco said:

Warnock 9/4 still

ill state this now if DC signs That pig **** he’s gonna need a crash helmet cause I’ll be on south stand chucking coins at Colin’s head.

Bookies odds in relation to managerial appointments mean absolutely zilch.

• Like 1

I think if it was Colin he’d already be here. He’s out of work and available.

Unless of course he doesn’t want to take charge yet because it’s Huddersfield we are playing, and would rather wait until after that game - but for me that’s not his style as he’d love the media attention that ex-SWFC manager Moore v ex-HTFC manager Colin (also ex-pig) would bring.

It could be that we are after someone in a job, like Steve Evans, or perhaps the search for a replacement is still ongoing - you’d like to think someone was sounded out and lined up though, given Munoz’s sacking was becoming more and more likely as the games went on.

I really, really, do not want a foreign coach who hasn’t managed in the Championship (or above) reasonably successfully in the last 18 months or so. We need someone who knows this league, knows the quality of it, knows the pace of it and who will know how to get this squad organised so that they can at least compete with the bottom third of sides within it. If we don’t get a manager with those credentials then we are fucked, it’s that simple. This is why the argument for Colin is as strong as it is, as he has this knowledge and has the experience of this league - but the arguments for not having him are stronger than those are for bringing him in.

I already think we are fucked to be honest, because I don’t have the confidence or faith in Chansiri to bring the right man in. Hope I’m wrong but his track record of appointments, plus his stubbornness to do things his way, does not fill me with any hope whatsoever.

6 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Got this sent earlier…

Heard from someone who has a contact at the club and he says DC has gone for Dean Smith

Also, team that got us promoted is pretty much playing tomorrow

Can't see it being Smith Nev, he's not spending remember...

As for the other bit, I'd be amazed if it wasn't the team from last season, which is mental given the opposition manager knows that team inside out.

8 hours ago, Billysboy said:

People forget hes just a stalk poster who got into modern journalism which is the equivalent of shelf stacking when I were a lad.

Rob Staton is the one I remember posting on Owlstalk back in the day.

A lot of people think he’s a Miller as when he first got a job with Radio Sheffield he covered and commentated on their games, but he’s actually a SWFC supporter (or he was) as I used to see him at games on a fairly regular basis.

8 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Rob Staton is the one I remember posting on Owlstalk back in the day.

A lot of people think he’s a Miller as when he first got a job with Radio Sheffield he covered and commentated on their games, but he’s actually a SWFC supporter (or he was) as I used to see him at games on a fairly regular basis.

He does support Rotherham as well

His Dad told me 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Got this sent earlier…

Heard from someone who has a contact at the club and he says DC has gone for Dean Smith

Also, team that got us promoted is pretty much playing tomorrow

I would be surprised if there was anyone at the club who would know both pieces of information. Hardly the stuff they post on the notice board. 

Smith was someone we were previously linked with and Thompson will know the longer serving players better so both are plausible.