New manager thread

1 hour ago, Boracic Lint said:

What if what they're used to won't cut it at a basic level.

He wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel, it was the basics that needed sorting.

At some point you have to draw a line.

As for defence, they were supposed to press but couldn't as they weren't fit enough, so he reverted to the zonal system, which, having new players in every game due to fitness and late signings, may have made it easier.

Given that last season we were 2nd highest goal scorers at home behind Ipsnitch and that no other team conceded fewer goals away from home and we netted a record number of points, I'd contend the basics were just fine.

You can't say that the players aren't up to it when you don't try them. Reece James certainly proved he was up to it Saturday and after we abandoned the ridiculous zonal marking we never looked in danger of conceding Saturday.

4 hours ago, Boracic Lint said:

What if what they're used to won't cut it at a basic level.

He wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel, it was the basics that needed sorting.

At some point you have to draw a line.

As for defence, they were supposed to press but couldn't as they weren't fit enough, so he reverted to the zonal system, which, having new players in every game due to fitness and late signings, may have made it easier.

He changed everything. How many more times?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Beale has managed just 65 games in total and under his tenure Rangers lost 3 of their first 7 games this season. 

Before Rangers he managed QPR, for 22 games!!!!!

Am I missing something here because I can’t work out why we would want him, unless of course he’s another cheap option and a yes man! 

Popular opinion seemed to be that he was the brains behind Gerrard's success at both Rangers and Villa. In fairness it did seem to go wrong for Gerrard at Villa after Beale left 

4 hours ago, TheExile said:

Sounds like he’s asked to speak to us rather than the other way around. In many ways hes similar to Rohl but further down the track with experience. Typically a good assistant, tactician and coach but jury out on managerial ability 

Surely a wise move if the suggestion that Bournemouth are in for Röhl is true?!

46 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Popular opinion seemed to be that he was the brains behind Gerrard's success at both Rangers and Villa. In fairness it did seem to go wrong for Gerrard at Villa after Beale left 

Surely a wise move if the suggestion that Bournemouth are in for Röhl is true?!

Yeah have to keep options open

14 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Given that last season we were 2nd highest goal scorers at home behind Ipsnitch and that no other team conceded fewer goals away from home and we netted a record number of points, I'd contend the basics were just fine.

You can't say that the players aren't up to it when you don't try them. Reece James certainly proved he was up to it Saturday and after we abandoned the ridiculous zonal marking we never looked in danger of conceding Saturday.

Against a DM team playing the same slow shite we were 

This is the problem.

This game should have been the one where the wingbacks ran riot as they had less pressure defensively than in any game so far and he got what, 1 cross in? Don't get me started on Palmer.

Again, defensively, v 90% of the teams we've played, we would have conceded, they were just as bad as us.

By the basics, I don't mean individually. I mean as a team.

Last season we didn't press as a team, didn't defend as a team, didn't move as a team.

We were 11 individually good players wearing the same shirt.

Our attacks consisted of lumping it into the box or trying to squeeze it down the touchline. Just like Saturday.

When one of our players gets the ball, they stop, look around to see what's on, while the rest of the team stand around waiting for it. We aren't getting the time to do that in this league so we lose it straight away or pass it back.

We don't have runners hitting an area as soon as someone gets a ball for the planned pass into that area.

There's no plan. We just sort of slowly muddle up the pitch and hope somebody does something special.

Which worked in League One. Remember the run of 'We only score worldies' last season?

Xisco tried to put these plans in place and found that the players couldn't or wouldn't implement them so had to regress and start again.

For whoever comes in, they will also try to put these things in. Because every other team already does them.

Warnock, Beale, Rohl, anyone.

And they're going either get the old guard to do it or drop them.

And get pelters because a load of fans think 96 points in League One has any bearing on winning games in the Championship.

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to be anything about Rohl going to Bournemuff, hopefully it's just BS.

We don't know what we'll get with Rohl but it does look an interesting one and one that I'm happy to go with. Getting merry go round managers hasn't worked for us and the dark cloud hovering mardy pig **** fills me with dread.

I get local media are starved of stories, call me blinkered but they always seem to have negative sleights toward our club whenever they can. The incessant touting of Colin is pissing me off. They'd fucking love it for another split in our fanbase. Not one of em really gives 2 fucks whether he is actually the right fit (which he isn't) just want to boost the gimps calling into FH and click on pages/ twatter etc.

Don't pay that much attention bur The Stir pig reporters are always licking arse yet we get the negative pricks.

Even Staton (****) felt the need to be on commentqry v West Brom with another. (not seen that before) and it was all negative shit. Slating Vasquez when he'd made @4 excellent saves. Is he Dawsons mate/ access to stories to the club?

The amount of airtime give to the tyre kicker was bizarre, it's also strange that since being called out by DC he has gone quiet...

The hacks say if Rohl was appointed he'd need the Wednesday fans to give him time. I think 25 yrs of shite shows that we can do that. It's the local rag that waint! Is it because DC isn't from High Green? I think every press conference XM was asked about Marvin, then they slate him for not moving on.

The sainthood of DM is mental, majority of the time it was eyebleed to watch and inevitable that we'd concede when we did. Fully back DC for not pandering to his pay rise as from looking at the last couple of years we'd have slumped and been in the same position now but with big payoffs to him and his staff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

Doesn't seem to be anything about Rohl going to Bournemuff, hopefully it's just BS.

We don't know what we'll get with Rohl but it does look an interesting one and one that I'm happy to go with. Getting merry go round managers hasn't worked for us and the dark cloud hovering mardy pig **** fills me with dread.

I get local media are starved of stories, call me blinkered but they always seem to have negative sleights toward our club whenever they can. The incessant touting of Colin is pissing me off. They'd fucking love it for another split in our fanbase. Not one of em really gives 2 fucks whether he is actually the right fit (which he isn't) just want to boost the gimps calling into FH and click on pages/ twatter etc.

Don't pay that much attention bur The Stir pig reporters are always licking arse yet we get the negative pricks.

Even Staton (****) felt the need to be on commentqry v West Brom with another. (not seen that before) and it was all negative shit. Slating Vasquez when he'd made @4 excellent saves. Is he Dawsons mate/ access to stories to the club?

The amount of airtime give to the tyre kicker was bizarre, it's also strange that since being called out by DC he has gone quiet...

The hacks say if Rohl was appointed he'd need the Wednesday fans to give him time. I think 25 yrs of shite shows that we can do that. It's the local rag that waint! Is it because DC isn't from High Green? I think every press conference XM was asked about Marvin, then they slate him for not moving on.

The sainthood of DM is mental, majority of the time it was eyebleed to watch and inevitable that we'd concede when we did. Fully back DC for not pandering to his pay rise as from looking at the last couple of years we'd have slumped and been in the same position now but with big payoffs to him and his staff

I'm quite pleased that DM is managing in the Championship as I'm pretty sure it will justify DC's decision not to bow to his demands, it will also send a few of his worshippers back under their stone (that loony from 'Stalk thinks he's our best ever manager).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

I'm quite pleased that DM is managing in the Championship as I'm pretty sure it will justify DC's decision not to bow to his demands, it will also send a few of his worshippers back under their stone (that loony from 'Stalk thinks he's our best ever manager).

The main problem with “that loony from stalk” is that he believes everything he thinks is the truth. In his eyes Moore could do no wrong and anyone suggesting anything different was anti Wednesday, now it’s anyone that doesn’t want DC to be gone yesterday is the problem.

I honestly believe he thinks there’s a massive queue of multi millionaires snaking down Penistone road desperate to chuck money at Chansiri. I wonder who’s fault it would be if the owner pulled the plug and just walked away leaving us penniless and unable to pay the bills?

like him or not we’re stuck with DC for the foreseeable future, 

10 minutes ago, OwlinMad said:

The main problem with “that loony from stalk” is that he believes everything he thinks is the truth. In his eyes Moore could do no wrong and anyone suggesting anything different was anti Wednesday, now it’s anyone that doesn’t want DC to be gone yesterday is the problem.

I honestly believe he thinks there’s a massive queue of multi millionaires snaking down Penistone road desperate to chuck money at Chansiri. I wonder who’s fault it would be if the owner pulled the plug and just walked away leaving us penniless and unable to pay the bills?

like him or not we’re stuck with DC for the foreseeable future, 

He tried to imply you were racist if you criticised Moore on one thread.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

He tried to imply you were racist if you criticised Moore on one thread.

One?

The "You can't criticise DM on his managerial abilityas he's great so you must hate him for a 'non footballing' reason" came out in every DM thread. If not from him, from one of his minions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

One?

The "You can't criticise DM on his managerial abilityas he's great so you must hate him for a 'non footballing' reason" came out in every DM thread. If not from him, from one of his minions.

He's pathetic, sometimes there's a racist tirade against  Chansiri if you read between the lines and he just let's that go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

It seems like it's going to be Danny Rohl. Well, if most of the journo chatter is true... Aside from the incessant touting of Neil Warnock.

Just read that "Star Owls" piece on it, the dodgy Northern Irish **** Chris Holt couldn't help push the narrative on Warnock. He's so out of touch.

As for Spacky Cappy Crann, he is such a retard.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Just read that "Star Owls" piece on it, the dodgy Northern Irish **** Chris Holt couldn't help push the narrative on Warnock. He's so out of touch.

As for Spacky Cappy Crann, he is such a retard.

I enquired if the local journos were on special "commission" arrangements

• Like 1

Well if Rohl fancies it then good on him cos it certainly isn’t an easy task to take at any time let alone his first job so it shows he’s got bottle.

It could turn out to be a very exciting appointment and I really hope it catches the imagination of our fans and they have patience with him to put his own stamp on a squad that must be pretty low on confidence.

• Like 1

The main reason for even considering Warnock is that to stay up we'll probably have to finish above Huddersfield.

Colin would take shithousing to a new level to keep us up, it would be the hardest he's ever worked as there's not a chance in he'll that he isn't pissed off about Huddersfield letting him go.

Keeping Sheffield Wednesday up at the expense of a team who sacked him would be the perfect end to his career and his last fuck you to football and his doubters.

It also aligns with Chansiri, as he will also want the same result, as it would justify his decision in the summer as well as keep the club up, giving him time to find a new manager and put a proper plan in place.

There isn't a box it doesn't tick.

As for not happening because it would divide the fanbase, as soon as we hit 21st, it would all go away, not to mention that the divide is already there.

Is it going to split the fanbase as much as Rohl coming in and trying much the same stuff that Xisco did and dropping most of the old guard?

There'd be a couple of diehards, but players and managers are more professional now and it's more about interests than tribalistic nonsense.

It's not 1972 anymore.

6 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

The main reason for even considering Warnock is that to stay up we'll probably have to finish above Huddersfield.

Colin would take shithousing to a new level to keep us up, it would be the hardest he's ever worked as there's not a chance in he'll that he isn't pissed off about Huddersfield letting him go.

Keeping Sheffield Wednesday up at the expense of a team who sacked him would be the perfect end to his career and his last fuck you to football and his doubters.

It also aligns with Chansiri, as he will also want the same result, as it would justify his decision in the summer as well as keep the club up, giving him time to find a new manager and put a proper plan in place.

As for not happening because it would divide the fanbase, as soon as we hit 21st, it would all go away, not to mention that the divide is already there.

Is it going to split the fanbase as much as Rohl coming in and trying much the same stuff that Xisco did and dropping most of the old guard?

There'd be a couple of diehards, but players and managers are more professional now and it's more about interests than tribalistic nonsense.

It's not 1972 anymore.

This is the bit that would worry me in this scenario.

10 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

It's not 1972 anymore.

Fuck off 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

It's fucking hilarious how the biggest criticism of Chansiri is a lack of a long term plan and yet folks are falling all over themselves to demand he appoint a 74 year old as manager.

I'd rather have Rohl, but there's a section of vocal support who won't accept anyone who changes anything from last season.

The biggest thing holding Wednesday back on that we live in the past, if something worked once, that's it.

Look at Saturday, hailed as the best performance all season. It wasn't even the best performance that week.

10 men caused more problems for WBA than 11 did in 90 v a vastly inferior side, but because it was 'what people knew' with 'players who've done it before' it was great.

Make no mistake, Rohl, if he comes in, is going to come to the same conclusions Xisco did.

Slow on the ball, unfit, little teamwork.

And he's going to have the same issues with the older players and everyone's going to be pissed off, because 'If Saint Darren were still here, we'd be top half' when the fact is that if we don't change, the only way we're going is down.

I'd rather have Rohl, but there's a section of vocal support who won't accept anyone who changes anything from last season.

The biggest thing holding Wednesday back on that we live in the past, if something worked once, that's it.

Look at Saturday, hailed as the best performance all season. It wasn't even the best performance that week.

10 men caused more problems for WBA than 11 did in 90 v a vastly inferior side, but because it was 'what people knew' with 'players who've done it before' it was great.

Make no mistake, Rohl, if he comes in, is going to come to the same conclusions Xisco did.

Slow on the ball, unfit, little teamwork.

And he's going to have the same issues with the older players and everyone's going to be pissed off, because 'If Saint Darren were still here, we'd be top half' when the fact is that if we don't change, the only way we're going is down.

Nice argument Neil fuck off back to Stalk with your Pro Colin bollocks.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Nice argument Neil fuck off back to Stalk with your Pro Colin bollocks.

Don't want him as such, just wouldn't be opposed to it.

Just can't be arsed with all the "evolution not revolution" and "96 points" bollocks that's going to be spouted as soon as a younger manager tries anything that doesn't involve the same players and formation from last season.

Revolution is needed.

We came up woefully unprepared for the speed and quality of this league with no time to put it right before the season started. We have a team of flat track bullies who are great when they can control the game, but terrible when on the back foot.

Xisco bottled it under that pressure, trying to accommodate the older players and style at the expense of his own and paid the price with his job.

Don't want it to happen again, because if it does, we'll be stuck with dinosaur Warnock type managers for the next 20 years as the young and more progressive ones will avoid us like the plague.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

It's fucking hilarious how the biggest criticism of Chansiri is a lack of a long term plan and yet folks are falling all over themselves to demand he appoint a 74 year old as manager.

Can I just stress that despite my post I DO NOT want that big nosed ham shanker as our manager, I'd rather go down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boracic Lint said:

Don't want him as such, just wouldn't be opposed to it.

Just can't be arsed with all the "evolution not revolution" and "96 points" bollocks that's going to be spouted as soon as a younger manager tries anything that doesn't involve the same players and formation from last season.

Revolution is needed.

We came up woefully unprepared for the speed and quality of this league with no time to put it right before the season started. We have a team of flat track bullies who are great when they can control the game, but terrible when on the back foot.

Xisco bottled it under that pressure, trying to accommodate the older players and style at the expense of his own and paid the price with his job.

Don't want it to happen again, because if it does, we'll be stuck with dinosaur Warnock type managers for the next 20 years as the young and more progressive ones will avoid us like the plague.

Just get someone in on the press conferences to shut down the snide hacks when they start the sniping.

I'd be up for it and here are a few examples to consider.

"Yeah thanks for you comments Rob, we know you're bald twat under that cap now fuck off you snidey prick"

"oh for fucks sake Doom lighten up you miserable ****"

"right anymore of this pro Colin bollocks and you're all getting your zoom access cancelled"

4 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Just get someone in on the press conferences to shut down the snide hacks when they start the sniping.

I'd be up for it and here are a few examples to consider.

"Yeah thanks for you comments Rob, we know you're bald twat under that cap now fuck off you snidey prick"

"oh for fucks sake Doom lighten up you miserable ****"

"right anymore of this pro Colin bollocks and you're all getting your zoom access cancelled"

Honestly, if I was Chansiri, I'd ban all the locals and Sky Sports from any press conferences. 

It's not like they're looking for answers to their questions anyway. 

What they did to Xisco was nothing short of a hit job.

The difference between how they were with him and with DM put to bed any pretence of journalistic integrity.

• Like 1

This is for the Colin voters AKA treacherous bastards

He comes in and then

Brings in his side kick staff, Kenny, Blackie Mongs Brownturd etc. 

Adds ageing snide players who push the limits of how football should be played. Remember this is the only manager that has had a match abandoned due to his cheating.

Constant whining and bitching about referees and getting touchline bans' Embarrassing himself in every press conference And then dismiss it as banter. (Kirkland is just one example)

Realistically the crowds would dwindle. He's a divisive **** and unlikable. Why do we support a club and then let a known protagonist of ours to manage us? Personally the only ones I know who want him in are Blunts, Toytown fans etc. Not spoke to one Owl who wants him or could get behind him.

Next season, whatever league we are in would need a whole new team and manager again. How many ST would renew knowing the club they love would sink to having Colin fucking Wanker as our manager?

This club could be ripped apart. And the local media are loving it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boracic Lint said:

Honestly, if I was Chansiri, I'd ban all the locals and Sky Sports from any press conferences. 

It's not like they're looking for answers to their questions anyway. 

What they did to Xisco was nothing short of a hit job.

The difference between how they were with him and with DM put to bed any pretence of journalistic integrity.

Moore may well have been limited, but he did the job he needed to do, by being relatively pragmatic and managing the chaos and lack of structure very well.

Xisco had a very difficult job trying to then get a flat team going at a higher level and in theory yes revolution is great. But his revolution failed very quickly and he didn’t manage the situation at all. Communication of his ideas rather than cliches and dismissing questions would have got a better response from the media. Stop making excuses for him, we are well rid 

51 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

This is for the Colin voters AKA treacherous bastards

He comes in and then

Brings in his side kick staff, Kenny, Blackie Mongs Brownturd etc. 

Adds ageing snide players who push the limits of how football should be played. Remember this is the only manager that has had a match abandoned due to his cheating.

Constant whining and bitching about referees and getting touchline bans' Embarrassing himself in every press conference And then dismiss it as banter. (Kirkland is just one example)

Realistically the crowds would dwindle. He's a divisive **** and unlikable. Why do we support a club and then let a known protagonist of ours to manage us? Personally the only ones I know who want him in are Blunts, Toytown fans etc. Not spoke to one Owl who wants him or could get behind him.

Next season, whatever league we are in would need a whole new team and manager again. How many ST would renew knowing the club they love would sink to having Colin fucking Wanker as our manager?

This club could be ripped apart. And the local media are loving it.

I suppose we could hire a proper nice guy.

One of the goodest blokes in football, who gets on with all the journos and pundits.

Proper gentleman.

Then when he gets relegated, give him another year.

Sign 17 players, all from higher divisions for a promotion push. When he fails again give him another contract.

Sign another 12, 10 from higher leagues. When he makes it at the last second, give him another contract.

Then, despite triggering a contract extension, the good bloke leaves you with 16 badly coached, aging and injury prone players 45 days before the next season because he wanted more money, effectively writing another year off.

Then probably irreparably damaging what was left of the relationship with the owner after he kicks off because you've told everyone you meet that he's lying about why you left before admitting it on a phone call to local journos who then hardly reported it.

We could do that.

We could waste 3 years and possibly fuck the club for good on a this manager, but at least he claps to Hi Ho and is a proper gentleman.

That's much better than signing a bloke on a short term contract to try and salvage the season, because he once managed a different club and made a mean joke.

Much, much, better.

3 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

One of the goodest blokes in football, who gets on with all the journos and pundits.

Proper gentleman.

Sign 17 players, all from higher divisions for a promotion push. When he fails again give him another contract.

Sign another 12, 10 from higher leagues. When he makes it at the last second, give him another contract.

Then, despite triggering a contract extension, the good bloke leaves you with 16 badly coached, aging and injury prone players 45 days before the next season because he wanted more money, effectively writing another year off.

Then probably irreparably damaging what was left of the relationship with the owner after he kicks off because you've told everyone you meet that he's lying about why you left before admitting it on a phone call to local journos who then hardly reported it.

We could do that.

We could waste 3 years and possibly fuck the club for good on a this manager, but at least he claps to Hi Ho and is a proper gentleman.

That's much better than signing a bloke on a short term contract to try and salvage the season, because he once managed a different club and made a mean joke.

Much, much, better.

Yeah it probably is tbf

• Haha 1

Proper gentleman.

We could do that.

Much, much, better.

Fuck off Warnock

23 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Moore may well have been limited, but he did the job he needed to do, by being relatively pragmatic and managing the chaos and lack of structure very well.

Xisco had a very difficult job trying to then get a flat team going at a higher level and in theory yes revolution is great. But his revolution failed very quickly and he didn’t manage the situation at all. Communication of his ideas rather than cliches and dismissing questions would have got a better response from the media. Stop making excuses for him, we are well rid 

DM was a fraud who failed numerous times. Chansiri's accountant did more than him to get us promoted.

Xisco or not, the revolution needs to happen because we aren't staying up on the power of friendship no matter how much we would like to.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

DM was a fraud who failed numerous times. Chansiri's accountant did more than him to get us promoted.

Xisco or not, the revolution needs to happen because we aren't staying up on the power of friendship no matter how much we would like to.

He got us promoted. Doesn’t really sound like a failure to me and I thought at times his football was poor. But he found a way to get it done. Xisco did not find a way and was poor. I don’t disagree that we need to transition but xisco can’t hide behind that. Neither were the answer but one more likely to keep us ticking over.

This was more a point about the media as DM got the same rough questions from FGR onward but managed to diffuse most of them. Xisco dodged them. Some of the more popular or longer serving managers here have succeeded in managing the media and building a rapport. When you have a chairman who either says nothing or goes off on one, the manager can help himself by being the figure head everyone prefers to listen to. DM Sturrock and Brian Laws all did that very well when they were here and it helped them. 

Anyway I understand Rohl will be the manager and good luck to him