New manager thread

On 05/10/2023 at 20:12, KrolMong said:

I think if the Cowleys and the German fella are the front runners, we are looking slightly longer term than we would if we were looking at some of the others.

That is no bad thing.

Definitely how Mike Ashley is looking at things...Long term appointment but short term success 

Don't think it'll be Nathan Jones. He's co commentating on 5Live and been very open about Munoz sacking and things in general at Hillsborough. 

2+2=5 time. Dean Smith usually does the 12.30 game commentary and it's Jones today. 

Or it could just be that Jones is there because it's Luton vs Tottenham 

Not really seeing how he fits with what we have as it seems sound on paper just as hiring a manager who got promotion with Watford did, until you mix it with what we have and what we can’t change. If it’s part of a change to establishing a longer term plan then fair enough but could see him being tasked with keeping us up at 34 with no managerial experience….mad

4 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Not me. We needed to change. Turned out that Xisco wasn't the right man to do it. He was drowning.

He would have, just let the pressure get to him and reverted back to what everyone was clamouring for with the 352.

He was actually getting to grips with some of our weaknesses but wasn't getting the results fast enough.

The zonal thing everyone was kicking off about didn't concede an open play goal for almost 6 games till the secondhand v Swansea. Most of the goals were pens and set pieces, but they need time and a bit of stability to get right, which he never had.

2 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Not really seeing how he fits with what we have as it seems sound on paper just as hiring a manager who got promotion with Watford did, until you mix it with what we have and what we can’t change. If it’s part of a change to establishing a longer term plan then fair enough but could see him being tasked with keeping us up at 34 with no managerial experience….mad

If you want someone to sort us out and keep us up go for Warnock. This should realistically be a longer term choice, if it happens. It would need a different  expectation from both owner and fanbase and indeed there might be the rub.

3 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

He would have, just let the pressure get to him and reverted back to what everyone was clamouring for with the 352.

He was actually getting to grips with some of our weaknesses but wasn't getting the results fast enough.

The zonal thing everyone was kicking off about didn't concede an open play goal for almost 6 games till the secondhand v Swansea. Most of the goals were pens and set pieces, but they need time and a bit of stability to get right, which he never had.

I have sympathy for Xisco but for me he was sinking. Parting with him was the right decision for club and for him IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I have sympathy for Xisco but for me he was sinking. Parting with him was the right decision for club and for him IMO

He let it get to him and bottled it.

We need someone who cam take the inevitable shitstorm when anyone thinks about changing anything because nutters think that 96 points in League One equals success in this league.

30 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

The zonal thing everyone was kicking off about didn't concede an open play goal for almost 6 games till the secondhand v Swansea

The zigzag zonal between midfield and defence allowed teams to thread balls through with ease and opposition runners to stroll through the gaps as no one went with them. 

You also mention set pieces and zonal played a part in nearly all conceded goals. Corners and free kicks where attackers just stepped between the zones. A 10 year old could have coached a way round our defensive set piece zonal set up. Watch on YouTube and you can see the grids defenders are sticking to. It looks even worse if you saw the back line's run maps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

The zigzag zonal between midfield and defence allowed teams to thread balls through with ease and opposition runners to stroll through the gaps as no one went with them. 

You also mention set pieces and zonal played a part in nearly all conceded goals. Corners and free kicks where attackers just stepped between the zones. A 10 year old could have coached a way round our defensive set piece zonal set up. Watch on YouTube and you can see the grids defenders are sticking to. It looks even worse if you saw the back line's run maps. 

Your 1st paragraph: especially Sunderland in 1st half.  Absolutely basic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TheExile said:

If it’s part of a change to establishing a longer term plan then fair enough but could see him being tasked with keeping us up at 34 with no managerial experience….mad

This is what I'm thinking. He's a brilliant coach but he's never had to deal with our situation, even as an assistant. He's little or no knowledge of operating in thr English transfer market so may have to rely on Chansiri's 'advisors' 

Bring him in with someone guiding above him and I think it'd work. 

• Like 2

Just now, HoylandOwl said:

But then when he did, he couldn't get a tune out of them. I wanted him to succeed. But he wasn't the man, at all. 

And he's gone.

Wrong man, wrong time.

But with the backlash over DM leaving, the timing and the state of the squad, it was always a poisoned chalice.

I can see us struggling to get an English manager just because of the amount of work to get them up to standard, wouldn't be surprised if DM realised the same and engineered an exit by asking for something he knew Chandiri wouldn't agree to.

Just now, Boracic Lint said:

And he's gone.

Wrong man, wrong time.

But with the backlash over DM leaving, the timing and the state of the squad, it was always a poisoned chalice.

I can see us struggling to get an English manager just because of the amount of work to get them up to standard, wouldn't be surprised if DM realised the same and engineered an exit by asking for something he knew Chandiri wouldn't agree to.

I agree with you on this to a degree. The way we won the playoffs gave DM absolute top billing with the media and as soon as 'whatever' happened with DC and DM, we were onto a hiding from them. BUT, Anyone who watched Wednesday over the past couple of years, knows that while DM did a LOT of good, we weren't hardly Pep's Man City side by a long way. 

BUT, we had a belief and team ethic which we've not seen for a long time. While we needed changes, to succeed in the Championship, I think we needed it to be gradual. Not root and branch. Breaking up things like we did, IMO was never going to work. We needed to BUILD on what we had, not turn the whole applecart upside down.  Today showed that, we have the belief and determination, but we needed the guile and skill to go with it. Tweaks, not total transformation. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I agree with you on this to a degree. The way we won the playoffs gave DM absolute top billing with the media and as soon as 'whatever' happened with DC and DM, we were onto a hiding from them. BUT, Anyone who watched Wednesday over the past couple of years, knows that while DM did a LOT of good, we weren't hardly Pep's Man City side by a long way. 

BUT, we had a belief and team ethic which we've not seen for a long time. While we needed changes, to succeed in the Championship, I think we needed it to be gradual. Not root and branch. Breaking up things like we did, IMO was never going to work. We needed to BUILD on what we had, not turn the whole applecart upside down.  Today showed that, we have the belief and determination, but we needed the guile and skill to go with it. Tweaks, not total transformation. 

The thing is DM became bigger than the club in the eyes of the media and some more 'vocal' social media.

The belief came from smashing shite teams every week, or we would have never collapsed in the league, or in the first leg.

Today, we won second balls because they weren't pressing them as every team before us have, there was a good thing on twitter about it from the Tom coaching guy about how they aren't winning them under DM.

Even so, we showed very little attacking wise, resorting to long balls into the area, much like DM did at the end of last season.