New manager thread

20 minutes ago, TheExile said:

He got us promoted. Doesn’t really sound like a failure to me and I thought at times his football was poor. But he found a way to get it done. Xisco did not find a way and was poor. I don’t disagree that we need to transition but xisco can’t hide behind that. Neither were the answer but one more likely to keep us ticking over.

This was more a point about the media as DM got the same rough questions from FGR onward but managed to diffuse most of them. Xisco dodged them. Some of the more popular or longer serving managers here have succeeded in managing the media and building a rapport. When you have a chairman who either says nothing or goes off on one, the manager can help himself by being the figure head everyone prefers to listen to. DM Sturrock and Brian Laws all did that very well when they were here and it helped them. 

Anyway I understand Rohl will be the manager and good luck to him 

Maybe the difference with Xisco and Moore and their handling of the press was something as simple as their grasp of English

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Maybe the difference with Xisco and Moore and their handling of the press was something as simple as their grasp of English

I think that’s a fair point, but he was generally dismissive of questions on football or selection and if he’d been a bit more open in layman’s terms I think he might have had more buy in as it was difficult to see what he was trying to achieve. He’s not the only one to do it as Carlos got like that and Mourinho does it but they had at least earnt the right to be a bit aloof 

8 minutes ago, TheExile said:

He got us promoted. Doesn’t really sound like a failure to me and I thought at times his football was poor. But he found a way to get it done. Xisco did not find a way and was poor. I don’t disagree that we need to transition but xisco can’t hide behind that. Neither were the answer but one more likely to keep us ticking over.

This was more a point about the media as DM got the same rough questions from FGR onward but managed to diffuse most of them. Xisco dodged them. Some of the more popular or longer serving managers here have succeeded in managing the media and building a rapport. When you have a chairman who either says nothing or goes off on one, the manager can help himself by being the figure head everyone prefers to listen to. DM Sturrock and Brian Laws all did that very well when they were here and it helped them. 

Anyway I understand Rohl will be the manager and good luck to him 

He left us in a worse state than when he took over, potentially wasting 3 years.

He should have got us up the first season, shouldn't have been relegated in the first place. 

When he did get us promoted, did it with the bare minimum.

People are asking why aren't we like Plymouth and Ipswich.

The fact is they spent last season preparing, getting the tactics to compete in the Cahmpionship in place and then drilling the players in League One, taking the hit in results during the early and middle parts of the season to get this right, then coming on strong at the end. It wasn't by accident.

We played the oldest team in the league, all players who didn't really need coaching, always prioritising the result over the future, which almost backfired when he got a couple of injuries and the second string was nowhere near ready. Any player who actually needed coaching was discarded almost immediately, a couple of games, usually out of position and that was it, not good enough. Older players were given the benefit of the doubt and chance after chance regardless of form.

They improved, we regressed as the season went on.

It's something that will take a lot of time and pain to sort out. It should have been done last season, when we were playing lesser teams, not now, when we are the lesser team.

So yes, he failed. He got his win percentage but left a team built on a base of sand.

As for the media, he got very little scrutiny, ge could say anything and they lapped it up. He was never held to account. There was always something outside his control. We had an injury crisis every week, any good at the club was attributed to him, any bad to Chansiri and Paxo, leading to the drama when he left as he had been elevated to the hero of the ages, singlehandedly lifting a destitute club with a playing staff of cripples and misfits to promotion, despite the crazy owner and his henchman sabotaging him at every turn.

24 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

He left us in a worse state than when he took over, potentially wasting 3 years.

He should have got us up the first season, shouldn't have been relegated in the first place. 

The fact is they spent last season preparing, getting the tactics to compete in the Cahmpionship in place and then drilling the players in League One, taking the hit in results during the early and middle parts of the season to get this right, then coming on strong at the end. It wasn't by accident.

We played the oldest team in the league, all players who didn't really need coaching, always prioritising the result over the future, which almost backfired when he got a couple of injuries and the second string was nowhere near ready. Any player who actually needed coaching was discarded almost immediately, a couple of games, usually out of position and that was it, not good enough. Older players were given the benefit of the doubt and chance after chance regardless of form.

It's something that will take a lot of time and pain to sort out. It should have been done last season, when we were playing lesser teams, not now, when we are the lesser team.

So yes, he failed. He got his win percentage but left a team built on a base of sand.

As for the media, he got very little scrutiny, ge could say anything and they lapped it up. He was never held to account. There was always something outside his control. We had an injury crisis every week, any good at the club was attributed to him, any bad to Chansiri and Paxo, leading to the drama when he left as he had been elevated to the hero of the ages, singlehandedly lifting a destitute club with a playing staff of cripples and misfits to promotion, despite the crazy owner and his henchman sabotaging him at every turn.

When he came in we were in a woeful position with players dying to leave. I think he managed the end of the derby game poorly when we had the score line we needed but he’d also had covid and nearly died…

Assembled a team the following season in more or less the last week of the pre season and only got beat by another huge club in Sunderland. Didn’t barely lose a home game for 2 years and was a good talker, that buys time and cajoles the media it’s a skill, not favouritism . Bruce and Milan two masters of it. 

No third tier manager will be perfect and some of the football was poor and players on the periphery didn’t perform when he needed to get a tune from him. But ultimately he got the job done. We are not Ipswich as there is no money to be Ipswich this will be a huge challenge for Rohl. We do not have a structure in place behind the scenes to do what other clubs are doing and that isn’t the fault of any manager

Edited by TheExile
  • Like 1

Also if your remit from your boss is get promotion now and we will deal with the rebuild in the championship then you don’t have the remit to build on anything but sand. Ipswich and Sunderland had a longer spell in L1 and in the case of the former had a fair bit of cash to invest in the last couple of seasons otherwise they’d still be there

26 minutes ago, TheExile said:

When he came in we were in a woeful position with players dying to leave. I think he managed the end of the derby game poorly when we had the score line we needed but he’d also had covid and nearly died…

Assembled a team the following season in more or less the last week of the pre season and only got beat by another huge club in Sunderland. Didn’t barely lose a home game for 2 years and was a good talker, that buys time and cajoles the media it’s a skill, not favouritism . Bruce and Milan two masters of it. 

No third tier manager will be perfect and some of the football was poor and players on the periphery didn’t perform when he needed to get a tune from him. But ultimately he got the job done. We are not Ipswich as there is no money to be Ipswich this will be a huge challenge for Rohl. We do not have a structure in place behind the scenes to do what other clubs are doing and that isn’t the fault of any manager

We'll just have to disagree.

You don't need money and infrastructure to implement tactics and train players.

He signed 17 players the first season. All from higher leagues. 17.

The problem players all left in the summer.

He was given everything needed to succeed. He was the issue, the only reason we hit the playoffs was because of a winning run when 'the team picked itself' due to injuries.

As soon as he got his players back we regressed. Funny thing is, he had the blocks of a great team there, they fought for everything, ran themselves into the ground and got results.

Had he carried that on, we go up automatically.

But he wanted to tap it about.

Anyways, we'll disagree.

I see it as 3 years longer for the club to recover from the spendageddon fallout than it had to, and he left the club in a worse state than he found it.

Which is impressive, to be fair.

The spine of the team is the one he inherited, we haven't advanced in any way.

Did he leave the club in a better place than when he took over?

No, if anything it's worse.

So did he actually achieve anything? Or has he just kicked the can down the road?

33 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

We'll just have to disagree.

You don't need money and infrastructure to implement tactics and train players.

He signed 17 players the first season. All from higher leagues. 17.

The problem players all left in the summer.

He was given everything needed to succeed. He was the issue, the only reason we hit the playoffs was because of a winning run when 'the team picked itself' due to injuries.

As soon as he got his players back we regressed. Funny thing is, he had the blocks of a great team there, they fought for everything, ran themselves into the ground and got results.

Had he carried that on, we go up automatically.

But he wanted to tap it about.

Anyways, we'll disagree.

I see it as 3 years longer for the club to recover from the spendageddon fallout than it had to, and he left the club in a worse state than he found it.

Which is impressive, to be fair.

The spine of the team is the one he inherited, we haven't advanced in any way.

Did he leave the club in a better place than when he took over?

No, if anything it's worse.

So did he actually achieve anything? Or has he just kicked the can down the road?

I see it as getting the job done in spite of the culture of short termism set at the club long before Moore rocked up. There was no  spendageddon since Carlos really. 

In league one if you’re focusing on improving players and you also happen to be Sheffield Wednesday on a shoe string where you’re having opponents raise their game away from home, then you can’t demand auto promotion either which is what the chairman wanted and the fans m. Perhaps if the plan was to build down there before coming up you’d say he disregarded that and failed an objective but that was never the message that seemed to be put across. We can look at derby  and others in a similar situation. It’s a really hard league to get out of. 

I can accept he’s not the greatest manager and that at this level likely limited but a failure no chance. Not in the same breath of defending Xisco who seemed a terrible fit and is more likely to have sent us back down. 

If anything this between a rock and a hard place situation we find ourselves in between short term results and long term improvement is highlighting an issue behind the scenes as it is 6-12 months at a time where the focus is from the top. If Rohl comes in I only hope (blindly) that that changes at least in terms of expectations and allows some building at whatever level as there will be no decent transfer budget 

Anyway yes we will have to agree to disagree. Some points on both sides but context is needed

Edited by TheExile

3 hours ago, Boracic Lint said:

We wouldn't have been relegated in the first place had it not been for the owner

Take off the -6 points him alone got us, Wayne Rooneys Derby County and Rotherham United would have already been relegated that final day.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

We wouldn't have been relegated in the first place had it not been for the owner

Take off the -6 points him alone got us, Wayne Rooneys Derby County and Rotherham United would have already been relegated that final day.

He was hired with the 6 point deduction already in place, with an achievable points total required.

After 10 games he only had 1 more point than Pulis, and had worse PPG overall than Monk and Thompson.

If he had achieved even Monk's PPG we would have been safe.

Moore did nothing different from any manager we’ve had in the last 20 years. He built for the season, and not the long term. His remit was to bring players in who would get us out of the division and who’d proved themselves in doing so at previous clubs. We’re/are those players good enough for the Championship? No. Did Moore get us up? Yes. Was he lucky? Very. The last two months of last season were not acceptable, and it took an absolute miracle and a red card to get us up.

Now, that gave Munoz a challenge, he was late in joining, he had to build a squad and a way of playing quickly with a combination of league one players and new signings. But the cold hard facts show that the signings who have come in don’t look Championship quality, there were massive gaps that he absolutely failed to address, and the team, pretty much every week looked unfit, uncoached, unorganised and at times, didn’t see to know what the plan was. That all sits with him. He’s ended up being an awful appointment because frankly, he didn’t make one correct decision. The fact that he had a spiky relationship with the media is his own doing. If your only win as a manager is your first pre season friendly, you are going to get hammered by the fans and the press until you address the slide. And at no point did we ever look like winning a game.

Between Moore and Munoz, we are a country mile off being remotely Championship quality.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MAL said:

They could have kept the deduction at twelve and that team "should" not have got relegated. 

For me the relegation was solely down to the players, or should I say some players. 

I largely agree, although potentially the negative impact on the players looking at the table potentially added pressure, a situation we are clearly in again.

5 minutes ago, Lee said:

I largely agree, although potentially the negative impact on the players looking at the table potentially added pressure, a situation we are clearly in again.

On the other hand, if it had been me looking at the table, I would have been trying my best to turn it around.

I can honestly say, I would have tried my best to turn it around, personal pride wouldn't let me do otherwise, even on the opposite side of the city, like a true professional like Gregory has done for us.

1 hour ago, Lee said:

Not forgetting also that the players weren't paid 3 months of that season

November, March and April. Given no payment of wages, it wasn't a surprise to hear post season that it wasn't a nice place to be at, the club that was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAL said:

On the other hand, if it had been me looking at the table, I would have been trying my best to turn it around.

I can honestly say, I would have tried my best to turn it around, personal pride wouldn't let me do otherwise, even on the opposite side of the city, like a true professional like Gregory has done for us.

And if it were me Mal I would have done also. Without question.

24 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Not forgetting also that the players weren't paid 3 months of that season

November, March and April. Given no payment of wages, it wasn't a surprise to hear post season that it wasn't a nice place to be at, the club that was.

A fair point, which, if I'm honest I'd forgotten so that holds more weight than the 'table'

4 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Wrong.

It was the accounts that tried to beat the system that got it wrong. Including the ground sale into the wrong year’s accounts was a school boy error.

Let's not forget amongst all this chat about managers, and things being short term... The chairman's remit to those managers. 

Promotion. And as quick as possible.

We've heard it, and the rumours about it so many times from our owner, whether it's right/wrong/whatever. 

So there's no surprise the transfer policy has been short term, because it fits with the remit.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

As I said, premium service work permits can be done same day. If they’ve not gone premium then we’ll be waiting months, I suspect we’ve not got that far yet 

Making up shit to suit your anti Chairman narrative grow up ya pig ****

3 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

No, but those are obtainable in a 

1 minute ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

As I said, premium service work permits can be done same day. If they’ve not gone premium then we’ll be waiting months, I suspect we’ve not got that far yet 

Just guesswork on your part. Fact we know is that Rooney wouldn't need a permit therefore making the process easier/quicker.

I wouldn't  be holding up Birmingham's recent actions as something to envy anyway.

6 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Making shit up, guesswork?

https://www.gov.uk/faster-decision-visa-settlement

Although it states within 5 days, they can be done same day at in person appointments

I’m sure AB will verify that as he has a mate that works in that area 

Cleary a process that takes longer than for UK nationals like Rooney and his support team then. 

There is absolutely no comparison with the Birmingham / Rooney situation. We sacked our manager because of results and now have to go and find a new one. They sacked their manager out of choice and could therefore afford to wait until they were ready. Chalk and cheese. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Winco said:

Wrong.

It was the accounts that tried to beat the system that got it wrong. Including the ground sale into the wrong year’s accounts was a school boy error.

So nothing to do with the 36.5 million quid wage bill that we had, that 10 year season tickets and 60 quid match day tickets couldn't afford.

Should never have had to sell the ground in the first place. 

14 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

So nothing to do with the 36.5 million quid wage bill that we had, that 10 year season tickets and 60 quid match day tickets couldn't afford.

Should never have had to sell the ground in the first place. 

My point being is DC can’t be all to blame when it comes to the books.

Just to be clear on the ground sale point. The points deduction was because we breached the three year loss rule under FFP. 

The sale of the ground, which was apparently encouraged by the EFL, was an attempt to prevent that breach and would have worked had the paperwork not been fumbled.

The accounts were prepared - and signed off by the auditors - with the ground sale in the year we wanted. However the EFL smelt a rat (correctly) and determined (correctly) that it was in the wrong year. Hence we breached FFP and got the deduction.

Originally there also claims of dishonesty but this was thrown out and the deduction was reduced.

Fundamentally, if Chansiri had got the paperwork sorted it would have worked and we would have stayed up.

Of all the mud that is thrown at DC this is the big dollop that sticks I’m afraid. 

4 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Just to be clear on the ground sale point. The points deduction was because we breached the three year loss rule under FFP. 

The sale of the ground, which was apparently encouraged by the EFL, was an attempt to prevent that breach and would have worked had the paperwork not been fumbled.

The accounts were prepared - and signed off by the auditors - with the ground sale in the year we wanted. However the EFL smelt a rat (correctly) and determined (correctly) that it was in the wrong year. Hence we breached FFP and got the deduction.

Originally there also claims of dishonesty but this was thrown out and the deduction was reduced.

Fundamentally, if Chansiri had got the paperwork sorted it would have worked and we would have stayed up.

Of all the mud that is thrown at DC this is the big dollop that sticks I’m afraid. 

Are you saying that DC is an expert in football finance? And knows his onions regarding EFL FFP rules? 
For me he’s obviously being told it was all gravy so had no other option in giving the green light on the books being released.

going back to my original point of it’s not directly DC fault.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

It takes 5 days maximum. Xisco was sacked 8 days ago now 

Can take longer as per your link and is projected 5 working days anyway.

After dispensing with Xisco the new man had to be selected and it sounds like there were 2 or 3 candidates. Chatter online suggests Chansiri had plumped for Rohl on Friday with some finalising discussions over the weekend including make up of his support team. Likely that aplications were submitted on Monday as doubt that applications are processed on weekends. We appear therefore to be in the usual timeframe - again  per your link. No reason for criticism yet although I would hope and expect an announcement before this weekend.

If it is Rohl it's likely that he and his team will be poring over videos of our games in preparation. In any event my feeling is that the squad is not quite as fit as I'd like and this first week of the break should IMO be concentrating on boosting this - a kind of mini pre-season - especially if Röhl favours a high intensity game.

I'm not in the least bit envious of Birmingham's approach nor choice.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Can take longer as per your link.

After dispensing with Xisco the new man had to be selected and it sounds like there were 2 or 3 candidates. Chatter online suggests Chansiri had plumped for Rohl on Friday with some finalising discussions over the weekend including make up of his support team. Likely that aplications were submitted on Monday as doubt that applications are processed on weekends. We appear therefore to be in the usual timeframe - again  per your link. No reason for criticism yet although I would hope and expect an announcement before this weekend.

If it is Rohl it's likely that he and his team will be poring over videos of our games in preparation. In any event my feeling is that the squad is not quite as fit as I'd like and this first week of the break should IMO be concentrating on boosting this - a kind of mini pre-season - especially if Röhl favours a high intensity game.

If the new manager has been identified and we are just waiting for documentation, are we breaking any rules by letting him and his team come down to the training ground and meet the players? Genuine question 

1 minute ago, Beaconowl said:

If the new manager has been identified and we are just waiting for documentation, are we breaking any rules by letting him and his team come down to the training ground and meet the players? Genuine question 

Doubt we'd  be breaking any rules but pretty unusual. DC cops enough flak without jumping the gun should things go wrong.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Winco said:

Are you saying that DC is an expert in football finance? And knows his onions regarding EFL FFP rules? 
For me he’s obviously being told it was all gravy so had no other option in giving the green light on the books being released.

going back to my original point of it’s not directly DC fault.

Yeah fair point but the evidence that was around at the time suggested everyone was trying to get it sorted but DC didn’t do his bit.

21 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Can take longer as per your link and is projected 5 working days anyway.

Must admit I am envious of them not being bottom and shit 😅

• Haha 1