22-23 season non-Wednesday football tonight/ when Sky dictates

22 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Shithouse goal.

Should that have been allowed? 

Watched the highlights on YouTube and Rose ends up in the back of the net after missing a diving header. He stays behind the line while the box is cleared and the keeper walks out to roll the ball. Then he sprints out as the ball is rolled and scores. 

The action of sprinting shows he's not injured so he's deliberately stayed off the pitch in order to gain a possible advantage. Surely that means the ref has to wave him back on for being off the field of play? He doesn't even book him for ungentlemanly conduct. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I notice last night in the Papa John’s Tin Pot Cup, that Chelsea u21s lost 4-0 at Cheltenham and Man U u21s lost 4-0 at Bolton.  I know there are posters on here who think the inclusion of PL u21 teams is an abomination, but maybe one silver lining is that results like these promote a greater sense of realism about bringing talented “skill school” type PL academy players through.

8 hours ago, owl71 said:

I notice last night in the Papa John’s Tin Pot Cup, that Chelsea u21s lost 4-0 at Cheltenham and Man U u21s lost 4-0 at Bolton.  I know there are posters on here who think the inclusion of PL u21 teams is an abomination, but maybe one silver lining is that results like these promote a greater sense of realism about bringing talented “skill school” type PL academy players through.

Let's be honest, it won't change a thing Owl71. The 'competition' which gives lower league clubs another chance to play at Wembley shouldn't include 21's sides. They should get their chance to play at Wembley / big stadiums in their own competition or if they make it as pros. 

The academy system (and I'll bow to someone like @Tylluan on this), needs sorting out. It's not helping smaller clubs, it's not helping young players either. How many players clubs like Chelsea let go, and how many actually play at a decent level shows it's not working. So shoehorning them in against 'men's teams' doesn't help either.

I maybe straying from your point a bit, but I hope you see what I mean.

Well I’m not going to attempt to compete with Ty’s understanding of how academies work, being as how he’s actually worked in some of them 🤣.

It was more a case of pointing out that, although this does give PL academy players the chance to play at Wembley, it is a chance none of them have taken, and at present they’re not even getting particularly close.  Maybe, just maybe, a few years of this will give PL academy starlets who go out on loan to lower league sides, a little more respect for the teams they’re going to.

Chelsea have a reserve side and an u21s, which is kind of like the reserves reserves. 

Chelsea send their better 21s in the reserves to play PL2 with more senior players, now that the eligibility rules have changed. The other players go into the u21s where they also bring through u18s to see if they can step up between the two. The Papa John's squad is a mixture of the two.

This set up is easier to do when you have 50-60 players on your academy books. And that says everything that's wrong about the current academy set up 

8 hours ago, owl71 said:

Well I’m not going to attempt to compete with Ty’s understanding of how academies work, being as how he’s actually worked in some of them 🤣.

It was more a case of pointing out that, although this does give PL academy players the chance to play at Wembley, it is a chance none of them have taken, and at present they’re not even getting particularly close.  Maybe, just maybe, a few years of this will give PL academy starlets who go out on loan to lower league sides, a little more respect for the teams they’re going to.

This..... 

And...

12 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Chelsea have a reserve side and an u21s, which is kind of like the reserves reserves. 

Chelsea send their better 21s in the reserves to play PL2 with more senior players, now that the eligibility rules have changed. The other players go into the u21s where they also bring through u18s to see if they can step up between the two. The Papa John's squad is a mixture of the two.

This set up is easier to do when you have 50-60 players on your academy books. And that says everything that's wrong about the current academy set up 

And This.