22-23 season non-Wednesday football tonight/ when Sky dictates

27 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

England surely need him at c.b.  

But how do you play him at centre half if he's been playing as a defensive mid for half a season and won every major club trophy, he could, playing there?

Stick him in front of a back 3 or 4 and use Andyben's central 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Foden just in front

6 hours ago, Andyben said:

Ederson is the best keeper in the world, bar none.

Utterly consistent and never ever seems to 'get done'

He really isn't.

He's basically an outfield player with gloves. His passing and footwork is absolutely second to none but he loses too many easy goals and doesn't tend to make too many world class saves.

Best in the world? He's not even the best in the Premier League, or even Brazil for that matter.

47 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

He really isn't.

He's basically an outfield player with gloves. His passing and footwork is absolutely second to none but he loses too many easy goals and doesn't tend to make too many world class saves.

Best in the world? He's not even the best in the Premier League, or even Brazil for that matter.

He's far better than you are giving him credit for 

Name me 5 better keepers in the world?

By the way good goalkeepers don't tend to have to make many world class saves as they are in position to make them look like standard saves.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

He's far better than you are giving him credit for 

Name me 5 better keepers in the world?

By the way good goalkeepers don't tend to have to make many world class saves as they are in position to make them look like standard saves.

I have to admit, I do find the overall standard of goalkeeping somewhat ordinary in the modern game. A number of coaches seem to be more fussed about playing out from the back and looking for an Ederson type between the sticks, one who's more adept at kicking than handing.

I also admit I don't watch too much football beyond English and Scottish leagues, so not too many overseas based goalkeepers in the list.

However, here are the results from the ECO jury:

The fact I said Ederson's not the best in Brazil will tell you I rate Allison above him for starters. Excellent shot stopper, he can look a right beast at times, especially when he's sporting that stupid beard!

Beyond that, Nick Pope is generally solid. I don't really care about his distribution. The main thing is to keep the ball out of the net.

Emiliano Martinez has done very well for himself since his brief Wednesday days. I'm not a fan of his antics, or the timewasting, but he is very decent.

As much as I think he's a hyper headcase a lot of the time, Jordan Pickford deserves a mention. Outstanding for England for a prolonged spell, and probably went a very long way to keeping Everton in the Premier League.

Further afield, Thibaut Courtois (or is it Nowak Djokovic?) is still impressive and imposing.

David de Gea does have a mistake or two in him but I would include him above Ederson.

For a left field pick, how about Bernt Leno? Probably the best goalkeeper in the league this season. It will be interesting to see if he can continue that form into the future.

I haven't included Manuel Neuer in my list, because he's a fair age now, and injured.

I've no doubt there will be many others but, as I said, I don't watch enough football from varying countries to be able to confidently add to my starter list 🙂

• Like 1

Brazil with Alisson and Ederson are currently experiencing what England had with Shilton and Clemence. Both could do the job and it's just a pity they both arrived at the same time. 

No English keeper gets anywhere near any World best top 5. If Pickford was that good he wouldn't still be playing for Everton. There's a case to be made that the best English keeper this season has been Ramsdale (and I hate myself for saying it)

You watch Martinez week in week out and he can pull off the spectacular but most of the time he's bang average. Just watch him against Saudi Arabia. Raya at Brentford is better which is why Man Utd and Tottenham are sniffing round him and not Martinez or Pickford. 

Personally I think Donnarumma is up there, along with Alisson, Ederson, Maignan and Oblak. That's my top 5. 

12 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

I have to admit, I do find the overall standard of goalkeeping somewhat ordinary in the modern game. A number of coaches seem to be more fussed about playing out from the back and looking for an Ederson type between the sticks, one who's more adept at kicking than handing.

I also admit I don't watch too much football beyond English and Scottish leagues, so not too many overseas based goalkeepers in the list.

However, here are the results from the ECO jury:

The fact I said Ederson's not the best in Brazil will tell you I rate Allison above him for starters. Excellent shot stopper, he can look a right beast at times, especially when he's sporting that stupid beard!

Beyond that, Nick Pope is generally solid. I don't really care about his distribution. The main thing is to keep the ball out of the net.

Emiliano Martinez has done very well for himself since his brief Wednesday days. I'm not a fan of his antics, or the timewasting, but he is very decent.

As much as I think he's a hyper headcase a lot of the time, Jordan Pickford deserves a mention. Outstanding for England for a prolonged spell, and probably went a very long way to keeping Everton in the Premier League.

Further afield, Thibaut Courtois (or is it Nowak Djokovic?) is still impressive and imposing.

David de Gea does have a mistake or two in him but I would include him above Ederson.

For a left field pick, how about Bernt Leno? Probably the best goalkeeper in the league this season. It will be interesting to see if he can continue that form into the future.

I haven't included Manuel Neuer in my list, because he's a fair age now, and injured.

I've no doubt there will be many others but, as I said, I don't watch enough football from varying countries to be able to confidently add to my starter list 🙂

De Gea? Nah.

Not any more. He’s got a rick or three in him. 

13 hours ago, Andyben said:

Was waiting to hear you say Anti Niemmi, but he's finished 

I never really rated Niemi during his time at Hearts. Rarely caught the ball and, way too often, would palm it out. Any goal poaching striker could quite easily score a hat trick against him but the quality in Scottish football meant those were few and far between.

9 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Brazil with Alisson and Ederson are currently experiencing what England had with Shilton and Clemence. Both could do the job and it's just a pity they both arrived at the same time. 

No English keeper gets anywhere near any World best top 5. If Pickford was that good he wouldn't still be playing for Everton. There's a case to be made that the best English keeper this season has been Ramsdale (and I hate myself for saying it)

You watch Martinez week in week out and he can pull off the spectacular but most of the time he's bang average. Just watch him against Saudi Arabia. Raya at Brentford is better which is why Man Utd and Tottenham are sniffing round him and not Martinez or Pickford. 

Personally I think Donnarumma is up there, along with Alisson, Ederson, Maignan and Oblak. That's my top 5. 

Funny you should mention Raya. I didn't think much of him a few years ago, although at least he doesn't get caught out so much nowadays and he does actually make some decent saves. Another who thinks he's Iniesta with gloves.

Donnarumma looked very good in the Euros. I don't think I've seen him since, so I must have forgot about him!

Oblak has been excellent any time I've watched him but, again, I haven't seen him for (probably) a year or so at least.

Providing they're still as good as they were, both Donnarumma and Oblak would be well ahead of Ederson in my list.

I'm ashamed to say I had to Google Maignan. I can't recall the last time I saw a Milan game and I can't say I've ever seen him in action. I hope he's better than the last 'highly rated' French goalkeeper - another shockingly overrated chap - Hugo Lloris. Never saw the hype around him at all.

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

De Gea? Nah.

Not any more. He’s got a rick or three in him. 

I did mention that, and I also think he's on the way down. However, he is still capable of brilliance from time to time.

48 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

I never really rated Niemi during his time at Hearts. Rarely caught the ball and, way too often, would palm it out. Any goal poaching striker could quite easily score a hat trick against him but the quality in Scottish football meant those were few and far between.

Whoosh.... think @Tylluangot it

41 minutes ago, Vialli said:

He had to get his Wednesday kit ready for the celebrations. 

https://twitter.com/BeReyt0114/status/1668121045168193536?t=6wlgM4d8w_y6Dm-M6zO3IA&s=19

Apparently donned the Blue and White to wind up Kyle Walker.    Wins Champions League and still takes time to give a salute to Wednesday.

Those poor Blades - overshadowed again.

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Apparently donned the Blue and White to wind up Kyle Walker.    Wins Champions League and still takes time to give a salute to Wednesday.

Those poor Blades - overshadowed again.

That's KDB out till Christmas and he only had the kit on for 5 mins 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Just realised that England a playing the mighty Malta and North Macedonia at the end of this week early next. 

Why in earth has Southgate selected Stones, Grealish and Foden.  Surely we would have enough against these footballing power houses without needing to call on the Man City players.

Grealish had to be carried into training or summat I’d heard after his ‘overexhuberance’

7 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Why in earth has Southgate selected Stones, Grealish and Foden. 

I think UEFA have a squad stipulation in, a bit like Papa Johns, that says you have to have so many 'regular' starters in your squad. Something to do with TV rites and 'diluting the product' if the bigger nations turned out a team of u21s or less well known players when facing the likes of Malta.