Day of destiny, (Sunder)land the final blow match thread

I mean it's a fantastic job that Rohl and the supporting back room staff have done, to galvanise this squad not just for an initial period but 7 months.

I really questioned that it could be done given the position he inherited, but fully deserved.

Let's hope the forthcoming pre season now builds on this. Thank fuck its in the Championship that is the most important outcome 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Even better, its Birmingham City that have been relegated

As someone that remembers their fans antics after they won promotion to the PL in 2007, good f*****g riddance! Hope you stay down there for a long, long time

Enjoy your first game of the season at home to Wrexham!

Edited by Kiwi Owl
  • Like 2

Just now, Kiwi Owl said:

As someone that remembers their fans antics after they won promotion to the PL in 2007, good f*****g riddance! Hope you stay down there for a long, long time

Add to that they’re run by Yanks that thought they were so knowledgeable that they fired a manager who looked to be setting them up for a playoff chase. 

9 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

This. Horrible ****s. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Who would take mid table obscurity just for one season to get a breather from all this drama. 🤣

Not me, we're going up. 

I mean I am not going to comment on next season until at least tomorrow😃 but a certain team based in Suffolk have shown its feasible 

I think all I ask for is no major melodrama for the next 3 months and we properly plan for the 2024/25 season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MAL said:

Or maybe a little tweak...

image.thumb.png.ed8956f16680e166d3904e4553e0c724.png

Be interesting what odds you would have had on the results this afternoon.

It was absolutely essential we did the business ourselves and not rely on others. 

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Be interesting what odds you would have had on the results this afternoon.

It was absolutely essential we did the business ourselves and not rely on others. 

Too right pal.

19 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I mean I am not going to comment on next season until at least tomorrow😃 but a certain team based in Suffolk have shown its feasible 

I think all I ask for is no major melodrama for the next 3 months and we properly plan for the 2024/25 season. 

37 points from the last 23 games.

Extending that over a season would have got us in the play-offs which is just what Chansiri set for DM (or had he left by then?). Whatever, a decent bit of recruitment and we should be capable of top six next season. 

Thank you Danny Rohl and all the team. And thank you Mr Chansiri for at least partially redeeming some of your previous mistakes. 
I still can’t quite believe we are definitely playing Championship football next season. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

37 points from the last 23 games.

Extending that over a season would have got us in the play-offs which is just what Chansiri set for DM (or had he left by then?). Whatever, a decent bit of recruitment and we should be capable of top six next season. 

37 Points out of 69...

RHOL OUT...

THE BARREL, LET'S HAVE A BARREL OF FUN 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Got the job done today quite comfortably, just as well considering other results. I wasn't expecting Birmingham, Plymouth and Hull all winning. 

Yeah...

But it makes it all sweeter 🤸‍♂️ 

55 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Got the job done today quite comfortably, just as well considering other results. I wasn't expecting Birmingham, Plymouth and Hull all winning. 

I wasn't expecting Plymouth and Hull to win either. 🤣

I know what your mean though. 👍

DR post game pitchside interview with Staton I think. Last minute of the interview Staton asks if he's up for the challenge next season. He puts the ball firmly in the clubs court although diplomatically, he now needs backing and I hope he gets it. Come on DC, hands down the back of that sofa and pop along and see the family if needs be.

Great !! just wonderful!! Looking forward to play against Sheffield United. If it´s anything like Schalke playing Doofmund...then let it happen.   Lol .

Hut ab , Herr Röhl !! Chapeau !!

• Like 2

Just now, Alan Finney said:

DR post game pitchside interview with Staton I think. Last minute of the interview Staton asks if he's up for the challenge next season. He puts the ball firmly in the clubs court although diplomatically, he now needs backing and I hope he gets it. Come on DC, hands down the back of that sofa and pop along and see the family if needs be.

I heard it and that last minute made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Basically says he has plans but you can’t do anything with plans on their own.

Sounded very much like ‘back me or lose me’ statement to me.

Didn’t really want to make a post like this as I want to celebrate today, but given that comments relating to the last minute of the interview are already circulating (and as I type the interview is playing on P&G) there’s nothing to gain by keeping quiet about it now.

Over to you DC now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellsview said:

I heard it and that last minute made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Basically says he has plans but you can’t do anything with plans on their own.

Didn’t really want to make a post like this as I want to celebrate today, but given that comments relating to the last minute of the interview are already circulating (and as I type the interview is playing on P&G) there’s nothing to gain by keeping quiet about it now.

Over to you DC now!

It made me a bit uncomfortable as well but I finally talked myself into thinking it's posturing, it happens, it's what managers and engineers do when they want to achieve something and the only way to do it is get the people who hold the purse strings to slacken them a bit.

I expect them both to get together and formulate an agreeable plan between them both for the benefit of the Club.

Just hope he doesn't ask for 4 x his wages for a pay rise. 

4 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Think positive, he will be here next season.....

Thanked DC before saying anything else but obviously the twat Stanton didn't think of leading on from that 

• Like 2

I’ll not speak so much about today. I didn’t see us losing against a bang out of form Sunderland side, and first 45 minutes, we were really good. Deserved to be ahead. Yes, they had a spell where they created and missed good chances, and James Beadle made good stops, but, we took the sting out last 15 mins, and managed the game out. A game full of 7 out of 10’s, although I thought Valentin, Iorfa, Palmer and Bernard were very good.

What I do want to speak about is what a job that Rohl and his staff has done, not just to turn the mentality around, but to get a tune out of a squad of players who on paper are not good enough for the division, get them fit, inject a clear style and structure, but more impressively, teaching a group of players new things when we all wrote a lot of them off.

The points tally alone is impressive, but you marry that with all of the other work done, it’s a frankly astonishing turn around and the fact that this is Rohl’s first managers job, and it’s in a league he has no experience of.

What we want now is DC to back him, and let him build something. If Rohl is still in charge in three years time, we’ll be a premier league team.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Andyben said:

Thanked DC before saying anything else but obviously the twat Stanton didn't think of leading on from that 

Nah, why would he, why be positive on a day like today, when Rohl, his staff & players made history.

2 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’ll not speak so much about today. I didn’t see us losing against a bang out of form Sunderland side, and first 45 minutes, we were really good. Deserved to be ahead. Yes, they had a spell where they created and missed good chances, and James Beadle made good stops, but, we took the sting out last 15 mins, and managed the game out. A game full of 7 out of 10’s, although I thought Valentin, Iorfa, Palmer and Bernard were very good.

What I do want to speak about is what a job that Rohl and his staff has done, not just to turn the mentality around, but to get a tune out of a squad of players who on paper are not good enough for the division, get them fit, inject a clear style and structure, but more impressively, teaching a group of players new things when we all wrote a lot of them off.

The points tally alone is impressive, but you marry that with all of the other work done, it’s a frankly astonishing turn around and the fact that this is Rohl’s first managers job, and it’s in a league he has no experience of.

What we want now is DC to back him, and let him build something. If Rohl is still in charge in three years time, we’ll be a premier league team.

What we want now is DC to back him, and let him build something. If Rohl is still in charge in three years time, we’ll be a premier league team

DC has backed every manager he has had! Fact!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alan Finney said:

After watching that I think you're talking bollocks.

He thanked DC and ended by saying he's got an idea about the direction he wants the club to go in and hoped its going to be more than an idea

• Thanks 1

To be fair Rohl is quite difficult to read as much as people try and read into everything he says but he’s been pretty consistent in his message he wants to see what the plan is over the summer whenever he’s asked about next season. If it’s true that he has a contract next season as reported in Germany then it’s not as simple as him just deciding to leave though either. If he kept us up and we made a big fee on him too then whilst we’d rather he stayed it’s better than what we could have ended up with when he first arrived ie a relegation and him leaving anyway 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellsview said:

I've played that back several times and I'm not getting that vibe. He reiterates what he's said in previous interviews about plans and ideas and that you need more than ideas. In his place I'd be saying exactly the same. I certainly wouldn't be doing an Atkinson, saying live on radio that I'm stopping then leaving soon after. 

DR already has been backed for next season. The pre-season is already booked in. By the sounds of Bannan's interview there are already deals on the table for those that DR will want to stop and these deals will have been Danny's decision, not Chansiri's. The new player shopping list will also have been agreed if the contract extensions have been sorted. 

The training ground issues will be a longer project but it's moving forward and DR is a major player in that. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TheExile said:

To be fair Rohl is quite difficult to read as much as people try and read into everything he says but he’s been pretty consistent in his message he wants to see what the plan is over the summer whenever he’s asked about next season. If it’s true that he has a contract next season as reported in Germany then it’s not as simple as him just deciding to leave though either. If he kept us up and we made a big fee on him too then whilst we’d rather he stayed it’s better than what we could have ended up with when he first arrived ie a relegation and him leaving anyway 

Spot on.  Additionally there has been a change since last summer - the appointment of Danny, backing him with his support team, younger exciting players with big profit potential. If; big big IF he did leave we'd likely be handsomely compensated à la Bruce.

What we do need now though is certainty- one way or the other- expediently.

Anyway, I expect Danny to be here in August and today is a good day. Not one for sniping to reinforce deep rooted prejudices.

• Like 1

Well now I’ve calmed down got home and had mi tea I can safely say that I’ve never been to a match like it. I was never worried I knew we would see it out and I think we dominated it.

The stats say otherwise but whatever Danny has done to this team is just immense hopefully this is the start of the new dawn.

Im chansiri in but if he doesn’t realise that this is the chance he’s been waiting for since playoffs 2016 then I may have to join the 1867 crew and hand out flyers 

We have something special here and I’m a bit giddy 

Not been this giddy for a while but we will see.

Up the Rotherham owls I’m off to bed cos I’m fooked

night night everyone see you tomorrow 

Massive love to you all on here for this season for keeping it real and being the best place for discussion and all things Wednesday. I seriously love you all 💙💙💙🦉🦉🦉

Up the motherfuckin owls 🙌🙌💙💙🦉🦉

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

How our season mapped out - ignore the minus sign in front of the league position, it was just a quick way of me getting 24th lower than 21st.  Appreciate there are other methods but what do you want for quick and dirty?

image.thumb.png.b61c4aa4ad734826f398e07647bfc628.png

Edited by Skamp
wanted our points in blue
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

DR has a vision, but he's found out Bannan's staying so he now has the headache of working out how to do it with half a midfield.

I suspect Rohl wants him to stay though. How we fit him in will be interesting, will we change system moving forward, if Rohl gets the players in he would like. 

7 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I suspect Rohl wants him to stay though. How we fit him in will be interesting, will we change system moving forward, if Rohl gets the players in he would like. 

There's no way we can build the team around him starting.

I'm surprised he's already been told he's getting a contract.

4 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

There's no way we can build the team around him starting.

I'm surprised he's already been told he's getting a contract.

I don't think the team will be built around him, even Bannan would accept that can't arise as he gets older. But as an option and a player that can unlock defences he could be utilised well 

We certainly need more strength in that area of the pitch.

• Like 1

Toadie has got a new article out where Rohl is talking about taking top young players from the prem over the summer now we are a more attractive proposition, citing Beadle as an example. Doesnt sound like someone bolting for the exit door. The Nevs lead by their Fresh Prince really do need eradicating.

• Like 3

On 04/05/2024 at 20:17, Skamp said:

How our season mapped out - ignore the minus sign in front of the league position, it was just a quick way of me getting 24th lower than 21st.  Appreciate there are other methods but what do you want for quick and dirty?

image.thumb.png.b61c4aa4ad734826f398e07647bfc628.png

Just a bit better than my chart.

Only just though 😎

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Just a bit better than my chart.

Only just though 😎

Excellent, that Skamp

I think yours is better, simply because you can still see previous places where the teams have moved from. 

Good stuff pal.