Xisco Munoz OFFICIALLY is our new manager.

That Watford said were actually very good to watch, a bit kamikazee, and he had some very good forwards, but they were good to watch. And he was unlucky in the premier league.

He favours a system that we don’t have the players to play, and he loves pace. So he’s going to have to recruit accordingly.

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Is it too early to say he'll be gone by end of September 😄

But it is one of those 50% chance it will be a decent appointment 

50% chance be WTF happened there 

I got sent this...

Longest he's lasted in a job is 246 days at SD Huesca. Most games as a manager was at Watford 36. He's never completed a full season as a manager.

Don't know where they have found this info, or even if it's true.

31 minutes ago, MAL said:

I got sent this...

Longest he's lasted in a job is 246 days at SD Huesca. Most games as a manager was at Watford 36. He's never completed a full season as a manager.

Seem to recall a similar sentiment when we appointed Carlos, but I might be mistaken?!

32 minutes ago, MAL said:

I got sent this...

My comment was tongue in cheek as I infamously suggested that would be the likely case with Carlos, when we then got to the play offs. 

The point these days is most Championship clubs chop and change, there is no planning on it being long term 

Does strike me as a gamble and a coach who is likely more receptive to the unorthodox set up here along with the short term contract/potential high reward scenario DC offered DM unsuccessfully. I think it is likely those things that may have prevented us from getting a steadier and more experienced pair of hands who have also had promotion from this league.

Having said that some of our best managers in the last decade have been Gray and Carvalhal who both arrived with a similar feeling of whether they had enough of a track record. But they were the right characters at the right time. I think Xisco might tick that box as he is one of a few managers fondly remembered for his personality at Watford and we have always needed that here. A shift to a back 4 would be good too (in my opinion anyway).

I just hope we get some younger players in now to make the most of what his strengths appear to be but it’s great to just know that whatever is going on down at middlewood road now is feeding into what a manager/coach wants to do on the pitch.

To sum up I think he will either be the messiah or pariah and nowhere inbetween, which is a risk but here we go. Vamos Wednesday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

My comment was tongue in cheek as I infamously suggested that would be the likely case with Carlos, when we then got to the play offs. 

The point these days is most Championship clubs chop and change, there is no planning on it being long term 

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be post knocking him, he might have the league won by Christmas 🤪

12 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

TWO good players. (One negative who shall not be named, because he might get injured if someone types his name....)

Pudil and Forestieri. 

So, let's go back there and get Ismaila Sarr.... 

12 hours ago, Andyben said:

Plus McGugan?

I thought Mr Hoyland was talking about McGugan. Totally forgot about Abdi 😯

12 hours ago, owl71 said:

Trying to come up with Xisco 2000 lyrics.

Wednesday went down in the year 2000...

I don’t know much about the new gaffer so I’ve looked up his managerial record on Wikipedia. This is what it says about him since becoming Watford boss:

Watford

Xisco was appointed as manager of Watford on 21 December 2020, after the dismissal of Vladimir Ivić. His debut in the EFL Championship was five days later, a 1–0 home victory over leaders Norwich City.

After a run of five straight wins, Xisco was awarded the Championship Manager of the Month award for March 2021. On 24 April, his team achieved promotion to the Premier League with two games remaining, after a 1–0 win against Millwall at Vicarage Road.

Xisco was sacked on 3 October 2021, despite the side being 15th after seven matches; it was the 13th change in the club's hotseat since the arrival of owner Gino Pozzo in 2012. In an official statement, Watford wrote that the coach had been presiding over a "negative trend at a time when team cohesion should be visibly improving".

HuescaEdit

On 26 October 2021, Xisco signed as coach of SD Huesca. Having finished in 13th in his only season with nine wins out of 30, he was replaced in June by José Ángel Ziganda.

AnorthosisEdit

On 4 October 2022, Xisco was appointed manager of Cypriot First Division club Anorthosis Famagusta F.C. until the end of the season. Three months later, after a series of five winless games, he was replaced by Vesko Mihajlović.

2 things immediately spring to mind here, for me.

1) His record since Watford, which is pretty shite to be honest.

2) He’s been out of work since January 2023 if the Wiki page is correct. That means he can’t have been our first choice or we’d have snapped him up before now (don’t you think?). Is he possibly a cheap option? Is he an appointment made out of desperation given how close to the new season we are? I read something the other day which I immediately brushed off as being a shile of pite, but now I’m beginning to wonder if there’s any mileage in it - that is, has Chansiri got a bad reputation amongst managers in this country (even out of work ones), to the extent that nobody wants to work for him? If you think about it, how many managers who Chansiri has brought in, and then subsequently sacked, remain out of work (and then there’s the departure of Moore - so even if you’re successful you might still be out on your backside)? We are a bit of a graveyard of a club for managers.

I’ll obviously be backing the new gaffer and I want him to do well and succeed - but if he turns out to be a disaster of an appointment it will be Chansiri’s head I’ll be calling for as much as the manager - which will be a first for me as I’ve backed Chansiri 100% up to now, with only the odd question raised about his custodianship of SWFC during his tenure here.

Never a dull moment at this club, is there?

DC’s reputation in football isn’t great Bells no.

And that was BEFORE this whole manager thing. But I am going back a few years. Reputations follow manager’s around in football, no doubt. 

Look at someone like say…. Ainsworth. Did very well with Wycombe, but only went to a club who revered him as a player…. 

They had their counterpart from BBC local radio that covers Watford on Sport Heaven last night to talk about our new Head Coach.

All in all he was quite positive about our new appointment.

He said he plays positive football without being gung-ho but they won a lot of games 1-0. He also said it wa puzzling when they got rid with them sitting 15th in the PL.

26 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

They had their counterpart from BBC local radio that covers Watford on Sport Heaven last night to talk about our new Head Coach.

All in all he was quite positive about our new appointment.

He said he plays positive football without being gung-ho but they won a lot of games 1-0. He also said it wa puzzling when they got rid with them sitting 15th in the PL.

Can't remember the exact timing but was it when Ranieri became available that they got rid of Xisco ?

Have to say that I’m a bit less enthusiastic today than I was yesterday.

A coach/manager that has never lasted a year may fit well with Chansiri’s rolling one year contract, but I get the feeling that the bloke isn't particularly unhappy to keep moving around. 
I suspect that he’s a coach more than traditional manager and is content to have limited say in transfers. But he has a style that differs from our recent approach, so are the players on Chansiri’s/Moore’s list still suitable? Is there any pace amongst them? I think we can adapt what we have to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, but it’s weak and we’ll get overrun in midfield. Getting suitable players in, that improve on what we have, with time to gel with existing players, needs sorting urgently. I’m not confident that we’ll do that successfully.

24 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Yes

Then binned him for Woy in same season.

Welegated in Apwil

Just looked - Munoz won 2 games in his 7 games in the Prem.  Ranieri and Woy both won 2 games each also in the remaining 31 games.

Munoz's Prem games were .....

Watford 3 Villa 2

Brighton 2 Watford 0

Tottenham 1 Watford 0

Watford 0 Wolves 2

Norwich 1 Watford 3

Watford 1 Newcastle 1

Leeds 1 Watford 0

Hardly catastrophic.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Just looked - Munoz won 2 games in his 7 games in the Prem.  Ranieri and Woy both won 2 games each also in the remaining 31 games.

Munoz's Prem games were .....

Watford 3 Villa 2

Brighton 2 Watford 0

Tottenham 1 Watford 0

Watford 0 Wolves 2

Norwich 1 Watford 3

Watford 1 Newcastle 1

Leeds 1 Watford 0

Hardly catastrophic.  

Some local journalist in Watford suggested Munoz was found out in the PL and on a downward spiral but he must have forgotten reality based on those results 

38 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Some local journalist in Watford suggested Munoz was found out in the PL and on a downward spiral but he must have forgotten reality based on those results 

If 3 managers have a go and it doesn’t work, it sounds like the problem is the squad. Some sides get promoted and aren’t prepared for the league above. Given our recent history though, if that was our fate, I’d be ok with it. 

I’m not stressing about his record at Watford, or any of his previous clubs. 
I think I read that he was then, and still is, the youngest manager in the Championship, so he’s obviously been developing his skills in those roles - and will still be learning with us no doubt. 
Unless you’re in Pep’s league, success or failure at one club doesn’t always follow to the next. Ask Smith, Jones, Gerrard etc. 
Given that we don’t seem to be able to attract a fully-formed proven manager, then I’m more excited about the potential of an up and coming option over been-around-the-block, (Pulis, Bruce?). 
It might work - it might not. Up and coming might quickly become up and off, but at least feel like I can look forward the season now, and actual football - rather than fixate on what DC is up to. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Petrie said:

I’m not stressing about his record at Watford, or any of his previous clubs. 
I think I read that he was then, and still is, the youngest manager in the Championship, so he’s obviously been developing his skills in those roles - and will still be learning with us no doubt. 
Unless you’re in Pep’s league, success or failure at one club doesn’t always follow to the next. Ask Smith, Jones, Gerrard etc. 
Given that we don’t seem to be able to attract a fully-formed proven manager, then I’m more excited about the potential of an up and coming option over been-around-the-block, (Pulis, Bruce?). 
It might work - it might not. Up and coming might quickly become up and off, but at least feel like I can look forward the season now, and actual football - rather than fixate on what DC is up to. 

The majority is spot on for me, but we don't know whether we have or not with the applicants. 

Unless I have missed the list that have been interviewed.

It still comes down to whoever DC decides on and his own reasons. 

I hope he is a star, we deserve something Shirley. 

While the way he articulates his points might rankle (and I can see why).

He's just opinionated. He knows what I think of the way he puts things, but as I say, it doesn't make him a ****. He's a good bloke under it all and used to run this place back in the day as it was under Rivals, before I took it on, then Sky, then the fallout and here we are now.

This is awful. I have no problem with what he is saying but this is the press conference to introduce the new manager. Instead, all the coverage will be about this, not what it should be. I side with DC on this subject but the timing is so bad: like snatching more negativity from the jaws of some positivity. And I really, really feel for the new manager.