Moore has left the club by mutual consent

4 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

2 games ago most of the ones hailing Moore as the new Pep wanted him gone. 

Would he have even got that far if they were in charge after Forest Green away?

We had an unbelievable few weeks but in all honesty we should've had the title. Would any of us trust him fully with bagfulls of money? How many times as he had a lack of plan B?

DC gets the stick but he backs his managers as far as he can. Maybe not as financially as some would like but they get the time. A shame that he picks randoms. 

Would say that only Jos was the real random. 

OK Carlos was unknown to most of us but was very much part of the Paxo camp.  Plus CC came in originally as a DOF type appointment. 

I wasn't keen on the Pulis appointment, but you could see what he was trying to do, basically what every club that's appointed Warnock in the last 5+ years has tried to do...survive.

Bruce was so much on the scrap heap that he was poached by a Premier League club after being our manager for about 3 months 

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Interesting quote from Chansiri on the new coach.

"I hope you don't need to Google him!"

Well if it’s Vitor Campelos I just did.  Someone must’ve stuck £50 on him.

Edited by owl71

Just been sent this:

Hi mate, just played golf with **** & *******!
According to **** it’s all about length of contract!
Pre FGR, when we were top of the league, it was agreed in principle for new long term contracts for DM & his staff on automatic promotion! When we blew auto’s half of the senior management team wanted to sack them all & go into the playoffs with a new manager. DC wasn’t one of them.
After the first leg nightmare at Peterborough 3 of the 4 senior management team wanted them gone but DC stuck with them but made it clear what the consequences were for failure!
After Wembley it was agreed to meet up & discuss new contracts after everyone had had a few days holiday.
Talks were held over the weekend & DC wouldn’t move from another one year rolling contract for everyone. DM & his staff wanted longer but DC wouldn’t budge!

I mean it makes sense DC actually said at the meeting he prefers not to give players long contracts as they relax and only up their performance level 3 months before renewal.

It's an interesting take, it makes sense but the downside is there is no-resale value and players like FDB can down tools months before the end of their contract if the agent has lined up a new club.

I do find DC's mindset fascinating. The interesting bit of my job is not the mundane number crunching but the people you meet, how they work, their character. It would never happen but professionally speaking him being a client would be so entertaining.

Prutton just been talking about us on Sky. 

Surprised at Moore going, thought the club would move forward with balance, but a choice has been made. He says it doesn't help that Moore is a good man, it's a decision made by the owner to make sure the Championship season is a success. Maybe the decision is about not being happy with consolidation, and are looking forward for promotion. 

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Surprised at Moore going, thought the club would move forward with balance, but a choice has been made. He says it doesn't help that Moore is a good man, it's a decision made by the owner to make sure the Championship season is a success. Maybe the decision is about not being happy with consolidation, and are looking forward for promotion. 

Didn't Prutton say at the start of the season Moore wasn't a particularily good coach and he didn't rate him ? 

Surely Gerrard wouldn’t come here but what a buzz that would create before the start of the season. Time would tell whether he’s what he seemed to be at Rangers but in terms of short term impact on putting a team together I think it would be incredible 

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

Surely Gerrard wouldn’t come here but what a buzz that would create before the start of the season. Time would tell whether he’s what he seemed to be at Rangers but in terms of short term impact on putting a team together I think it would be incredible 

The reason he did so well at Rangers is now manager of Rangers. Once Beale left Villa it all went to shit. 

5 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I'd be more than happy to consolidate this season, finish 10th - 12th, then push on.

Like I said before, just when there was finly some structure at the club on & off the field, we go & do this.

The mind boggles.

6 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

I want Gerrard there you go I’ve said it 💙💙💙

If he has a good number two. We are good. Beale won the title a Rangers and Critchley did the trick at Villa.

The general consensus is that Gerrard is toss. And that’s amongst people who played under him.

12 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

If he has a good number two. We are good. Beale won the title a Rangers and Critchley did the trick at Villa.

The general consensus is that Gerrard is toss. And that’s amongst people who played under him.

Why is it so important that he empties his bowels first?? I don’t really care if he has a one or a two before he joins I think he would be great won’t want to fail again be mad for it and hungry.

💙💙🦉🦉🦉🦉

Announce The new king Steeeevie Gerrard 🙌🙌🙌🙌🦉🦉🦉💙💙💙

I’m sticking with Bruno Lage although Vitor could be in with a shout if interviewed.

We can’t afford Gerrard whether we wanted him or not surely.

We might keep our powder dry until L**ds make their move. If Farke is still available and they go with Viera then sure he’d be approached too?

Be galling to change the clubs name to SGSWFC though 

On 19/06/2023 at 19:47, Gamblor said:

Those markets are small and easily influenced though. Stick £50 on anyone and they’re suddenly second favourite. 

Lump a tenner on Strve Bracknell. Probably make him favourite.  Looking at some of the other names ,  I'd settle for him right now

4 hours ago, Sheffieldblue said:

Be galling to change the clubs name to SGSWFC though 

Lump a tenner on Strve Bracknell. Probably make him favourite.  Looking at some of the other names ,  I'd settle for him right now

He's about as funny as a cancer diagnosis 

16 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Time will tell, the removal of Moore will either be hailed a farce or a bit of genius from DC if it goes well

Hopefully he realises how crucial this appointment is, if he gets it wrong, I doubt the chants will be for only the manager to leave. 

Edited by Gamblor

To summarise

DM was a nice chap and I think turned round the attitude of the fans to the Club, that EFL investigations, points deductions, mercenary players and relegation had impacted. However the fact we were winning games and toward the top of the table had has much to do with it. 

DC is always going to be a bit crackers. He is the archetypal owner / manager of a business. Hands on day to day, thinks he knows best, wants to control how is money is spent. He is a dichotomy, treats players and managers like they are family but at the same time commodities. I think he grasps that football does not follow business logic, too much rests on things you cannot fully control, from the mindset of players, a deflected goal, a refs poor decision. But then does not see that making judgement calls such as on DM creates more uncertainty on how players react to his departure but that any new head coach is a calculated risk

12 hours ago, Gamblor said:

Hopefully he realises how crucial this appointment is, if he gets it wrong, I doubt the chants will be for only the manager to leave. 

This I agree with. 
While there was no proof DM would have had us pulling up trees in the championship.
But outwardly, I think there’s few who would have said he didn’t deserve the chance. You could also see arguments for him getting even a two year deal and come off a rolling contract after hitting the remit of promotion.

This whole management situation has piled the focus firmly back on DC and his management of the club, whether you agree with the handling of DM or not.

As a businessman he’s clearly used to making tough decisions/making strong stances. And I hope for the sake of the club, it’s the right one. Because the toxicity of things if it goes wildly wrong will be awful, and we’ve already seen what some ‘fans’ (and I use that term VERY loosely) are prepared to do/say like they did post the first leg of the playoff semi. 

I’ll say this.

I was hoping there was method to the madness, DC having an ace in the hole and a plan for the Championship.

He’s not got any plan. Him and Moore were not aligned over expectations, Chansiri wants top 8 on a league one budget. Moore told him he wouldn’t get that in his first year. There were issues with contract length for Moore and his staff, Moore rightly wanting stability and backing, DC, possibly rightly, not wanting to give it.

There is no obvious candidate or plan over recruitment of a manager and a genuine chance we start pre season with the senior pros and academy coaches taking training. And that manager is working off a player list that has been drawn up by a committee that he’s not been part of. They might all be world beaters, but they aren’t his players.

It doesn’t paint a rosy picture, and going into a pre season that starts in a week, and a season that starts in 5 weeks.

I’ll leave you with this. A close friend who has predicted disastrous seasons for a few teams and been 100% correct, has told me to go big on Wednesday to get relegated this season.

• Like 2

It is always fun observing comments on the likes of Stalk and social media. The same folk that slated DC for over spending and a points deduction now griping that he only (apparently) offered a modest budget

The point is I think Clubs that are not on parachute payment have grasped that you cannot compete, its futile. The mess the likes of Wigan, Reading got into, how many others are teetering. That Luton got promoted not wasting money on huge wages and transfer fees for players that don't actually perform. Jordan Rhodes anyone.

Maybe this is the re-set that the FFP rules are about achieving.

So it's not about spending per se, it's about getting value for money 

Football fans have short memories, but have our fans actually forgotten what a miserable 2 years it was on and off the pitch being under the EFL microscope

51 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’ll say this.

I was hoping there was method to the madness, DC having an ace in the hole and a plan for the Championship.

He’s not got any plan. Him and Moore were not aligned over expectations, Chansiri wants top 8 on a league one budget. Moore told him he wouldn’t get that in his first year. There were issues with contract length for Moore and his staff, Moore rightly wanting stability and backing, DC, possibly rightly, not wanting to give it.

There is no obvious candidate or plan over recruitment of a manager and a genuine chance we start pre season with the senior pros and academy coaches taking training. And that manager is working off a player list that has been drawn up by a committee that he’s not been part of. They might all be world beaters, but they aren’t his players.

It doesn’t paint a rosy picture, and going into a pre season that starts in a week, and a season that starts in 5 weeks.

I’ll leave you with this. A close friend who has predicted disastrous seasons for a few teams and been 100% correct, has told me to go big on Wednesday to get relegated this season.

Arnt you a ray of sunshine this morning.😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

This I agree with. 
While there was no proof DM would have had us pulling up trees in the championship.

That’s the key, we don’t know how Moore would have done, but given the positivity coming off last season, I don’t think anyone was imagining a season of struggle (even if we’re honest that the squad right now needs significant work). If there is one then Chansiri will be blamed for it. 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

It is always fun observing comments on the likes of Stalk and social media. The same folk that slated DC for over spending and a points deduction now griping that he only (apparently) offered a modest budget

The point is I think Clubs that are not on parachute payment have grasped that you cannot compete, its futile. The mess the likes of Wigan, Reading got into, how many others are teetering. That Luton got promoted not wasting money on huge wages and transfer fees for players that don't actually perform. Jordan Rhodes anyone.

Maybe this is the re-set that the FFP rules are about achieving.

So it's not about spending per se, it's about getting value for money 

Football fans have short memories, but have our fans actually forgotten what a miserable 2 years it was on and off the pitch being under the EFL microscope

Reading ‘stalk had made my eyes bleed. 

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want value for money, but I think a lack of realism in what a low budget can achieve is dangerous. Yes, you can get promoted on limited resources, but there’ll be 20 other clubs trying to do that.

I worry that Chansiri has been surrounded all his life by people who tell him what he wants to hear, because they’ve a financial interest in doing so. I think it makes us vulnerable to appointing the kind of manager where there’s a huge disconnect between their confidence in their ability and their actual ability. 

10 minutes ago, bricat said:

I don't understand an owner having a "good friend" as an advisor whose prime job is as an agent. Someone with a vested interest cannot possibly be beneficial to the cause of the club, only to himself.

Looking at the players who had associations with him last time we ‘went for it’ says all about that beneficial element you speak of

1 hour ago, Gamblor said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want value for money, but I think a lack of realism in what a low budget can achieve is dangerous. Yes, you can get promoted on limited resources, but there’ll be 20 other clubs trying to do that.

Can't really argue with that point. If the management team have seen relative success of lower budget teams, then perhaps not a surprise they would like to mirror it.

After all they are the ones transferring the funds. And that is the point none of us know what funds are available 

But perhaps they have not grasped it took several years consolidation for those clubs to progress. And indeed the Championship was considered poor quality last year by journalists 

So thinking we could be top 6 with the incumbent squad and a modest improvement in a few positions, I think is a bit deluded their side 

At present it's either going to be a relegation struggle due to the complete disruption caused. But I will stick my head out that 14th to 18th is our likely spot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

So thinking we could be top 6 with the incumbent squad and a modest improvement in a few positions, I think is a bit deluded their side 

Good choice of word is “deluded”. I’ve backed Chansiri from day one and I think it’s only in the last month or so I’ve made a post on here that even slightly criticises him.

At the end of the day he’s put his money where his mouth is, a lot more than I can ever put into SWFC, or anyone has before him, and I can’t criticise him for that and am thankful for it,  but deluded (or possibly naive) is what I’m now beginning to think he is.

Without the right business model, without any longer term strategy, without the right people beside him, without being able to distinguish between the ‘business’ that is football and what constitutes company business, Sheffield Wednesday will not prosper. I mean, come on, if what we read about him wanting Top 8/playoff places next season is right, as mk has said, he’s being deluded!

I could throw £50 million at SWFC and because I’m not a football person, not see them be successful, and I’m beginning to feel that way under Chansiri. He wants success, but is he astute enough, and does he have the right people around him and advising him, to get us it?

For the first time ever, I’m not so sure about that - and I agree with what some other posters have alluded to, in that if we fook it up again, it won’t just be the manager who we point the finger of blame at.

DC had a long term plan that was scuppered by:

1. Bruce Leaving.

2. Covid killing match day income

3. The EFL witch Hunt / SWFC fuck up over the stadium sale.

The squad we had in the 2019/20 season with Bruce in charge would have had us knocking on the door to the PL. Fuck me, even Monk got us into autos before lockdown - lord knows what the Cowleys could have done with it.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/sheffield-wednesday/startseite/verein/1035?saison_id=2019

Everything since 2019/20 has been firefighting - financials, squad, coaching,  the lot.

So if Bruce hadn't left the plan would have worked, and DC can only be held responsible for one slim part - the lack of / ignoring advice in the stadium sale.

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

As a businessman he’s clearly used to making tough decisions/making strong stances. And I hope for the sake of the club, it’s the right one

This is what I don't get. No new manager is going to come in on a rolling contract, they'll want at least two years, so why only offer that to Moore? You can make a contract say anything these days so why offer Moore his two years (if that's what this is all about) but introduce escape clauses into it. If we're in the bottom 5 in November then off you trot for minimal compensation. Then similar ones throughout the season. Incentivise the fuck out of it as well. 

And what happens to the new manager if we finish outside Chansiri's parameters? Is it a case of going through all this all over again next pre season? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

This is what I don't get. No new manager is going to come in on a rolling contract, they'll want at least two years, so why only offer that to Moore? You can make a contract say anything these days so why offer Moore his two years (if that's what this is all about) but introduce escape clauses into it. If we're in the bottom 5 in November then off you trot for minimal compensation. Then similar ones throughout the season. Incentivise the fuck out of it as well. 

And what happens to the new manager if we finish outside Chansiri's parameters? Is it a case of going through all this all over again next pre season? 

I don't envisage it being much different. But... And it's a big but. I just hope his parameters aren't that unrealistic.

• Like 1