The EFL League One Playoff final - MATCH THREAD AND LONG PRE AMBLE

Well, I missed most of extra time because I had to go to work. 

Got in the car and set off, first song on the radio was Bob Marley singing "Every Little Thing's, Gonna Be Alright"

I thought, you lying bstard.

But it turns out he got it spot on. 

COME ON YOU BLUE AND WHITE WIZARDS, GET IN THERE. 

• Haha 1

It’s been an emotional day I bumped into Dean windass coming out of the Novotel on Wembley way before the match and I said hope he does it he just replied he will mate he will 🙌🙌🙌💙💙💙💙👍👍🦉🦉 get the fuck in 

apart from the nob Ed Wednesday fan who got hold of mi dad and wanted to fight him 😡😡😡 just a small blip on a biblical day cock end 

29 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

It’s been an emotional day I bumped into Dean windass coming out of the Novotel on Wembley way before the match and I said hope he does it he just replied he will mate he will 🙌🙌🙌💙💙💙💙👍👍🦉🦉 get the fuck in 

apart from the nob Ed Wednesday fan who got hold of mi dad and wanted to fight him 😡😡😡 just a small blip on a biblical day cock end 

Ffs what happened 

Just rolled in - has to be one advantage of fucking living down here 

Can only echo the comments that it's a match that will not live in the memory for sure - well i guess upto the 123rd minute delight which I might have on repeat until August.

Young un gone all Chris Kamara as he had no clue they had a player sent off. Saying that he got lost getting back for the 2nd half - me checking the flipping bogs at one stage thinking he had passed out or summat. Too much pop methinks.

Anyway that is a ghost put to rest, especially as their keeper flapped it into the net.

On the performance today we got out of jail,  too much at stake in these games, but 100% deserved for getting 96 points over the season.

Onwards AND upwards, but the chat on the way back on the train was a major re-build is needed to be competitive. Harsh on some of them but no room for sentiment 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Just rolled in - has to be one advantage of fucking living down here 

Can only echo the comments that it's a match that will not live in the memory for sure - well i guess upto the 123rd minute delight which I might have on repeat until August.

Young un gone all Chris Kamara as he had no clue they had a player sent off. Saying that he got lost getting back for the 2nd half - me checking the flipping bogs at one stage thinking he had passed out or summat. Too much pop methinks.

Anyway that is a ghost put to rest, especially as their keeper flapped it into the net.

On the performance today we got out of jail,  too much at stake in these games, but 100% deserved for getting 96 points over the season.

Onwards AND upwards, but the chat on the way back on the train was a major re-build is needed to be competitive. Harsh on some of them but no room for sentiment 

Get kettle on MK just leaving St Albans 😂

• Haha 1

Were we poor, yep!

Should they have had a penalty, more people seem to think yes than no!

Was it a red card, not for me!

Was it the best way ever to beat them six fingered, piss-taking, inbred Dingle tw*ts? Oh aye, you fucking bet it was! I could not have ended the game better even if I’d been allowed to write a script for it! 

Up yours Barnsley, and the rest of you South Yorkshire c*nts from Rotherham, Doncaster and Pig Lane who cosied up to them this last week or so! And I’ll add Plymouth, Peterborough, Derby, Ipswich and even L**ds (lol) to those wankers as well.🖕

And just to top the day off, my daughter’s university (Durham) won University Challenge tonight, so she’s out on the razz in Durham enjoying a double celebration! 

The ghost of Arsenal 1993 was also finally exorcised today!

Time to get pissed! 🍺

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Were we poor, yep!

Should they have had a penalty, more people seem to think yes than no!

Was it a red card, not for me!

Was it the best way ever to beat them six fingered, piss-taking, inbred Dingle tw*ts? Oh aye, you fucking bet it was! I could not have ended the game better even if I’d been allowed to write a script for it! 

Up yours Barnsley, and the rest of you South Yorkshire c*nts from Rotherham, Doncaster and Pig Lane who cosied up to them this last week or so! And I’ll add Plymouth, Peterborough, Derby, Ipswich and even L**ds (lol) to those wankers as well.🖕

And just to top the day off, my daughter’s university (Durham) won University Challenge tonight, so she’s out on the razz in Durham enjoying a double celebration! 

The ghost of Arsenal 1993 was also finally exorcised today!

Time to get pissed! 🍺

Seen some bitter and twisted comments from the Barnsley fans. So they are quite enjoyable. Apparently it's all the fault of the actual Establishment.

If we are going to analyse the game then I was surprised by the starting 11. It made sense v Posh but I have never been a fan of all 3 of Windass, Gregory and Smith starting. Too light in midfield. 

But can analyse as much as we want, the reality is the tension, fear of losing stifled both sides producing any free flowing football or sustained pressure

Think it was a red, it was the intent and endangering an opponent, the rest is immaterial.

Their shout for a pen, VAR have given those in the EPL even if Gregory had his eyes on the ball and no intent 

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Ffs what happened 

Just some over hyped nob who said we aren’t singing enough and asked where we’d been all season even when I showed him my season ticket wanted to have a pop. I offered mi hand and said WAWAW he wouldn’t take it told me to fuck off his mates were all apologetic but then proceeded to stare at mi wife all through second half. But guess what windass scores and were all best mates fuckin prick 

• Haha 2

Thought us fans were quiet in the stadium itself. Think a lot was left in the pubs and concourses before the match. We had as much fear as the players really 

The good news being we scored so late they didn't even have time for an Hail Mary to stress us.

Slightly subdued on the trains back, though more due to it being emotionally draining 

Had a moment thinking about my Dad as I am sure some others did about lost ones. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

And as I keep see being mentioned. In the entire play offs we were ahead for the last five seconds.

I’m gonna watch it on TV cause I thought we were the better side overall.

it was always gonna be a tight affair and I bet there gutted cause I thought they was better with 10 men.

I’ve had club Wembley treatment all day. The service, as you’d expect, is immense.

The game… thought we edged it first half. Second half. Looked a pen, was a red, and we were then awful. Didn’t make the pitch big, no tempo. Rubbish.

Extra time, much better side despite half the team being done. But, they missed the sitter… I’d have scored that off both feet.

That winner was the one bit of qualify from a striker, and it was also the only touch of note from Windass. Queue pandemonium…

Wasn’t great. But, on 96 points… Nuff said. In terms of performance, lots of 5’s and 6’s with Ihiekwe and Iorfa as 7’s.

I’ve headed back into central London and the atmosphere is great everywhere. During the game, on top, fans were great.

2 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

Just some over hyped nob who said we aren’t singing enough and asked where we’d been all season even when I showed him my season ticket wanted to have a pop. I offered mi hand and said WAWAW he wouldn’t take it told me to fuck off his mates were all apologetic but then proceeded to stare at mi wife all through second half. But guess what windass scores and were all best mates fuckin prick 

Wasn't some bald twat with his shirt off by any chance was it?

Stayed off posting on here this week as I couldn’t be there. Managed to get the laptop hooked up to a TV and watched it with my lad.

Felt weirdly bittersweet for me, obviously bouncing round the room at the end but tinged with regret that I wasn’t there.

For me they should have had a penalty but I think the red card was right. Either way those decisions weren’t our fault and I’m not sure the sending off changed the game that much, if anything it made it more difficult for us to find the space to get at them.

Anyway, feels good to be a Wednesdayite this morning and how many times have we been able to say that.

Well done all of you, looked and sounded great for most of the game.

On the pen incident then yep we would have been screaming for it, seen them given but not given via VAR. To me it was an accidental clash but given the one at Oxford was, a bit of fortune came our way.

The red seems to have coverage because the TV pundits called it as wrong, but they fail to address that intent to endanger an opponent which to my eyes it clearly was is sufficient for that call. Ex players not always the best judge.

The result is what matters, I think if we had lost, Moore and the players would have got tons of grief so we are spared that at least. We probably never deserved to lose in 1993 but we did. Such is football, why we hate it, why we love it 

Just now, Andyben said:

Half a job done.

Means nowt of we don't now push on to the Prem 

Agreed but it HAS to be financially sustainable methods. In other words not disregarding FFP, points deductions etc etc. It was that which necessitated us being in a League 1 play off final 

Luton have shown a way and we can be more generous than them 

For me I'm just relieved and glad it's all over. The anxiety was terrible. It's only football and it shouldn't mean that much but it does.

We got what we deserved and it makes it even sweeter the way we did it

11 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

Where were you sat, Happy? We had one lad, then another doing this about 5 seats to our left up in block 503.  Bit of a belter to say the least.

Well, what an absolutely shit game. But, I said all week, if it was shit and we win 1-0 I'd take it. All it was missing was a shite goal in off someone's arse cheek. 

The atmosphere was just as crap I thought from us, I genuinely thought it would beat the Hull game's atmosphere by a stretch because outside it was fantastic. The closer it got to kick off, the noisier it got. Speaking of outside, the beer/drinking situation was a joke. Nothing at all around/near the ground that you could get into. The fanzone was closed off from about 11.30 as it was at capacity (we were in the queue and they told us nope, you're not coming in). And the other pubs, walking up beyond the station had massive queues to get in, and the one that didn't was charging £10 to walk in. I didn't expect to not have a pint, but, I can live with it, just piss poor planning from whoever decided which side had the biggest pubs. Anyway.

As for the game, I didn't think we started too badly, yes we were clearly going long as a tactic against them. And I think it had a bit of a positive effect, Iorfa IIRC forcing that first good save from Isted was the precursor for their keeper having a worldy. But then we were just so slow, predictable, and easy to defend against weren't we. While they moved the ball around well, but didn't seem to have much up top. 

The second half was theirs, Norwood made a HUGE difference for them. He won everything in the air, was busy, forced a save from Dawson and even after the sending off (which I've not seen back yet) which I thought looked a little nasty from up in the clouds, Norwood was still a real focal point. He was very good. And fair play Dawson for keeping out a couple of stern hits at the near post which were on target. 

Extra time was ours wasn't it. We managed to find a bit more of an intensity, likely that our extra pair of legs was helping in that regard. But when Isted made those two incredible saves, the first from point blank being the best one, I thought it was going to be their day. Then when Vaulks thundertwatted that one in, and it was chalked off, I said to our young un, they'll nick this. I never saw our winner coming at that point. But my god. I didn't see for about 2 mins after it went in. Arms, legs, drinks, programmes, (my youngest's phone) all went up in the air and we were under a pile of folks. F**king hell. 

I thought back to that Arsenal FA Cup final and how we were ready for pens and convinced we'd win it on spot kicks, but for Linighan. How gutted we were. No, it wasn't an FA Cup final, I get that but it certainly put a few demons from back then to bed for me. My lads were there with us, we've won at Wembley again. Playoff final for promotion from the third tier or not. It's special and will give us memories for the rest of our lives. 

Finally, it was great to see so many OO'ers and former OOers there. Eppers and his lad, HarrySpeakup, amongst them. Beastie and his young un, who have their own stuff going on right now, Baldybouncer, Durrutti and a few others (apologies if I missed you). It was a cracking day and it's a good job I can type this as my voice has been left in Wembley Stadium. 

UP THOSE BLOODY LOVELY PROMOTED OWLS.

"I thought back to that Arsenal FA Cup final and how we were ready for pens and convinced we'd win it on spot kicks, but for Linighan. How gutted we were. No, it wasn't an FA Cup final, I get that but it certainly put a few demons from back then to bed for me. My lads were there with us, we've won at Wembley again. Playoff final for promotion from the third tier or not. It's special and will give us memories for the rest of our lives"

This - like I said that Peterborough comeback AND winning at Wembley means we can look back over those 17 days to put in a nutshell the rollercoaster of supporting Sheffield Wednesday 

I stood there after the final whistle just drinking it in, let out a bit of a primeval scream basically releasing those demons from 30 years ago that I watched from a similar vantage point (albeit the old stadium). This younger lass on the row behind just look bemused until I explained why. 

The game like those 1993 games I doubt I will ever watch in full - that Windass header will be on repeat though - frankly the performance is irrelevant 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I stood there after the final whistle just drinking it in, let out a bit of a primeval scream basically releasing those demons from 30 years ago that I watched from a similar vantage point (albeit the old stadium). This younger lass on the row behind just look bemused until I explained why. 

The game like those 1993 games I doubt I will ever watch in full - that Windass header will be on repeat though - frankly the performance is irrelevant 

Mate, I was the same! Sat on the tube waiting to leave Wembley Park a lad who was opposite us said, I can't wait to watch the game back. I thought..... I don't really want to watch it all back... And I've already watched the winning goal on my phone x20 times. 🤣

Barnsley's CEO....

"Tough loss, absolutely robbed by the referee.

"I've been quiet all season, had several emails with Mike Jones throughout the season, and this was just so evident if you look at the replay.

"Look, congratulations to Darren Moore, I think he as a person, everything he's gone through deserves it.

"But I feel it's unfortunate that we weren't given necessarily a fair chance.

"But I'm so extremely proud of the fans, the players, the staff, absolutely amazing.

Agree on Wembley, we walked past the Barnsley fan zone at midday ish and you could have got in. Walked to the top of Wembley way which is a great sight, my lads ignored Dad's advice that there was no point trying to find anything. Walked past our fan zone, probably past you in the queue Tee. The only decent thing is they opened the turnstiles 15 mins early and I grabbed a couple of beers - £7.20 a pint for the Camden IPA. 

The 4 pints for £22.50 was ok value. 

Good vibes in the concourse on Tier 5 pre match - but unlike v Hull it seemed difficult to get sustained chants going. I genuinely think the tension got to everyone, it being a poor game did not naturally raise the spirits, the growing dread of penalties. 

A bit of quality changed that mood in an instance and the post match stuff, jubilation but a huge sense of relief