The EFL League One Playoff final - MATCH THREAD AND LONG PRE AMBLE

Right, thought I'd strike while the iron is hot. 

BUT... What I want to do, is not have ticket chat in here. Please stay on the game. 

The first news we've had is the officials have now been appointed for the game

Referee: Tim Robinson

Assistant Referees: Shaun Hudson & Akil Howson 

Fourth Official: John Busby

Reserve AR: Mark Russell

VAR: Tony Harrington

AVAR: Dan Robathan

Now, you may or may not remember Mr Robinson.... But he's the ref that did this.... 

Anyway. 

In 2022/23 Mr Robinson's reffing record

41 games - 165 yellow cards - 7 red cards

His games have been a mixture of League Cup, FA Cup, Championship and Premier League games, with the odd League one game. 

The last game he reffed, was the Championship playoff semi at Sunderland just over a week ago.

Mr Robinson's last game officiating Wednesday came on the 8th Feb 2022, when we beat Wigan 1-0 at home. 

I’m sure he’d never admit to it but is it possible Mr Robinson is a bit more wary of giving any big decisions against us after the FF incident? Not that it will be that easy for him given VAR will be in action.

Given the previous incident, wouldn’t you think the EFL would avoid him officiating on a game like this, ah of course not.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Just been looking back at the starting 11 for the two league games.

The game in September we had McGuinness in a back 3 with Ihiekwe and Iorfa, no Smith or Paterson (he was on the bench), but Byers did play. The game in April we had Iorfa, Flint and Famewo as the back 3, Byers not available or Pato.

So basically quite different teams even if the formations were similar -ish. Does this mean DM will want to try something a bit different.

A question he must be thinking about is around playing Flint, or not. Yes he wins mostly everything in the air but he’s not as mobile as Ihiekwe or Iorfa. I think I’d keep him on the bench.

My selection would be.

Dawson

Iorfa Ihiekwe James

Palmer Patterson Vaulks Bannan Johnson 

Windass Smith

subs Stockdale, Gregory, Flint, Brown, Adeniran, Bakinson, another

If Windass is struggling then Gregory is the obvious replacement. I might also be tempted to swap Palmer and Pato on the right or at least get them to rotate with and without the ball.

Everyone saying they did the double over us and that should be telling need to wind their necks in, at Hillsborough they were completely in control and deserved the win but the rematch was a fluke and our own fault for the loss. 

At our best we win this game and only feel George Byers missing is something we may rue.

• Like 3

It's basics for us after Thursday, belief belief belief but it's nil nil at kick off. I really want the fuck everyone we are 4 nil down mentality and just blow Barnsley away but it won't be that, somewhere half way with a mentality of we WILL win is ideal, 

Still guarantees nowt though

UTO

5 minutes ago, 1banana2banana said:

Barnsley’s late season form has been poor so Bolton match aside I’m hoping they’ve peaked too soon and the big game atmosphere will be too much for them. Completely ignoring our own issues like 

Talking of Bolton, they’d lost and drawn to Plymouth in the league games. So maybe we can take some inspiration form that kind of thing. I mean it’ll be a totally different situation anyway but if DM needs to put that one to bed.

10 hours ago, Reesh said:

Everyone saying they did the double over us and that should be telling need to wind their necks in, at Hillsborough they were completely in control and deserved the win but the rematch was a fluke and our own fault for the loss. 

At our best we win this game and only feel George Byers missing is something we may rue.

It’s because of our performances in those two games, that keeps me wary about Monday. 
As you say Reesh, that first game was one which we didn’t deserve something from, and the second one… we lost for ourselves but, they press well, they put us under pressure and IMO certainly played a part in our self destruct button being pressed. It seemed to get to a few of the players that night.

We have this season, and always have, had games where the opposition have it as their cup final no matter where we play, and this is definitely one. 
They’re going to be properly up for this one, more than the other two this season.

But….. as has been said. If our team turn up, play to what they’re capable of. We win. 

8 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The interesting rumour on Stalk from a poster that does get more right than wrong, that a certain G Byers could be back in the fold.

I can't imagine, if true, that would be anything other than on the subs bench. 

Cue being the S McLean of 2023 !

How could he possibly have the “volume”!
Anyway that would be amazing if true and he can actually contribute to the game at some point.

6 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I hope they used some Tresemme Volume Shampoo.

I use it all the time.

for me nothing short of as win will do, it’s all well and good taking 47k fans down there but if they turn us over and we put a shitter in after last Thursday I’ll have to move house.

3 hours ago, Winco said:

I use it all the time.

for me nothing short of as win will do, it’s all well and good taking 47k fans down there but if they turn us over and we put a shitter in after last Thursday I’ll have to move house.

Where's 47k come from? Fuck me bet your customers love your invoices with the added 10%

5 hours ago, Winco said:

I use it all the time.

Easy enough. Dangle a carrot in front of the nag 

“They’re the ones who are key to this. Our fans. When they’ve come, they’ve been vocal, energetic and the boys have really capitalised on that.

Theyve driven us and we’ll ask them to do that again.

It’s another rallying call for them to come and be vocal.”

DM: “I’ve known ‘Duffers’ for quite a while over my career.

He’s thorough, meticulous with his work and understands the game. He’s astute in how he sets his team up.  he’s done a magnificent job to go in there, stray the ship and give them a belief. Credit to him for the job he’s done this season. 
He knows, because I’ve told him when we played earlier this season.

DM: “I knew what was possible when I arrived here. The opportunity to manage this football club. It’s an honour to manage this football club.

Give them a team to be proud of, and we’ve had elements of that this season. 

Let’s not beat about the bush, the comeback has gone, that has gone. We’ve focussed on this game. The only thing we could do was go in with a game plan and we came through, the talking has been left about that to you guys (media). 

Message to the fans

DM: “We’ve got a fan setting off from Adelaide; we have got fans cutting holidays short to come back, we’ve got 44,000 there supporting this football club. Thank you.

My message to them is.. keep doing what you’re doing, the sheer passion you show transfers to the players.