The EFL League One Playoff final - MATCH THREAD AND LONG PRE AMBLE

7 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Barnsley's CEO....

"Tough loss, absolutely robbed by the referee.

"I've been quiet all season, had several emails with Mike Jones throughout the season, and this was just so evident if you look at the replay.

"Look, congratulations to Darren Moore, I think he as a person, everything he's gone through deserves it.

"But I feel it's unfortunate that we weren't given necessarily a fair chance.

"But I'm so extremely proud of the fans, the players, the staff, absolutely amazing.

That will be a charge for him then hopefully

They were not robbed, it was a red card offence. He needs to brush up on the rules, like the pundits on the words intent and endangering an opponent. It was both and that could have resulted in a serious injury to Gregory 

Ironic Gregory was involved in all 3 key moments as it turned out - the pen shout tbf we would be saying the same this morning but it was accidental - the argument I guess is this does not change that it was an offence. 

the best one which someone quoted on Stalk was that is was the Establishment at work - what in favour of Sheffield Wednesday, a club that gets scrutinised and vilified in the media over the disaster.  

This thing about VAR, in a am way I’m glad they don’t always get it right (yeah it’s benefitted us this time) but at least the game isn’t to clinical like American football.

cause they would be fuck all to talk about if every decision was scrutinised to death. 

Just now, Winco said:

This thing about VAR, in a am way I’m glad they don’t always get it right (yeah it’s benefitted us this time) but at least the game isn’t to clinical like American football.

cause they would be fuck all to talk about if every decision was scrutinised to death. 

Can't believe anyone on here would moan about the traffic on the M1 after a game though 🙄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pachyderm said:

Ok, was anyone else wondering why DM didnt have on a Wednesday shirt of some kind? 

lol

Jus me? 

I don't recall a time this year when he didn't have one on. I'm a little superstitious and that kind of thing had me worried. 

UP THE OWLS!

He's not had one on the last few games. He has had a Wednesday coat on though when it was nippy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Barnsley can moan all they like. You missed pretty much an open goal and the keeper flapped the goal in, that's why you lost.

That open goal. Fucking hell. I had my head in my hands, as they played it central to our left, expected the lad to smash it and it was so cool to square it back across, and I just thought that was it. We've thrown it away. But my god! That's one that should be replayed as much as Ronnie Rosenthal's back in the 90s. 

• Like 3

Just on the red card. 

He's late, he's off the floor, he's two footed, and his studs are pointing towards Gregory. Most importantly he's not in control of the outcome of his challenge the moment he commits. 

Don't care about ex pro's who got away with it 10-20 years ago. Don't care about the Sunday league player/pundits on social media who probably still get away with it. It's a red card all day long. 

And it didn't affect the outcome of the game. They didn't change tactics. They could have won it twice. They didn't get leggy because we didn't make them chase shadows. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Just on the red card. 

He's late, he's off the floor, he's two footed, and his studs are pointing towards Gregory. Most importantly he's not in control of the outcome of his challenge the moment he commits. 

Don't care about ex pro's who got away with it 10-20 years ago. Don't care about the Sunday league player/pundits on social media who probably still get away with it. It's a red card all day long. 

And it didn't affect the outcome of the game. They didn't change tactics. They could have won it twice. They didn't get leggy because we didn't make them chase shadows. 

At first I didn't think it was a red but now yes it probably was. If Gregory just goes to protect ball and not touch it away the lad absolutely badly injuries Gregory and he wasn't pulling out of the challenge 

33 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I think he’s talking about the penalty rather than the sending off. 

Had the ref given the penalty I don’t think VAR overturn it, but he didn’t and having watched it back I can see why they don’t overrule or ask him to take a look. No matter what his decision it wouldn’t have been a clear and obvious error.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that their players foot was high and although Gregory clips him I think he gets some of Gregory too

I don’t think we got lucky at all yesterday, maybe the crossbar coming to our rescue was the only luck we had. What an effort that was btw.

Just seen that effort back, it's a decent strike but it cannoned off another player's head.

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Barnsley's CEO....

"I've been quiet all season, had several emails with Mike Jones throughout the season, and this was just so evident if you look at the replay.

"Look, congratulations to Darren Moore, I think he as a person, everything he's gone through deserves it.

"But I'm so extremely proud of the fans, the players, the staff, absolutely amazing.

Bloody hell, whinge whinge whinge.  

Basically, we finished 10 points above them.  We got over the line yesterday without playing very well, but it’s deserved across the whole season.

The red card is a red these days, and by “these days” I mean for about the last 15 years.

Just seen the penalty incident, and I'm torn. There's absolutely no intent from Gregory other than the ball, he looks and watches the ball drop without even seeing their man there. There's high feet from them both. 

People who know me, know, I'm very level headed and if I thought it was a pen, I'd say it was. Either way. And I really can't make my mind up, if even if it was the other way. If I'd have given it or said it was one to us. 

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Where were you sat, Happy? We had one lad, then another doing this about 5 seats to our left up in block 503.  Bit of a belter to say the least.

Yep sounds like us we were in 503 he got hold of my 75 year old dad and started saying we weren’t proper fans asking where we’ve been all season told him to leave it out WAWAW he would accept my hand a told me to fuck off. Then instead of watching the match he sat staring at my missus and mi son. All hugs and kisses at the end and his mate apologised but what an absolute whooper of a bell end 

No arguement it was a sending off , the laws are quite clear . He lunges at Gregory . I think it is  to deflect criticism from  the Barnsley player  who missed the best chance of the match in extra time . I don't think we would have come back from that if he had scored

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Here we go then, the red...  I can see why there's moaning, but I can also see why it's given. The intent is there, he's over the top.

zero issue - it was an ill judged, over the top challenge that had intent and endangered an opponent

The fact the connection was not a leg breaker - totally irrelevant to what the laws of the game actually say 

Red card - the angst of any Barnsley fans should be why he chose to make that type of challenge in such a crucial game

15 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Yep sounds like us we were in 503 he got hold of my 75 year old dad and started saying we weren’t proper fans asking where we’ve been all season told him to leave it out WAWAW he would accept my hand a told me to fuck off. Then instead of watching the match he sat staring at my missus and mi son. All hugs and kisses at the end and his mate apologised but what an absolute whooper of a bell end 

I thought it sounded familiar!!!! Wish I'd have realised you were up there, (and what you looked like) and I've had said ey up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

zero issue - it was an ill judged, over the top challenge that had intent and endangered an opponent

The fact the connection was not a leg breaker - totally irrelevant to what the laws of the game actually say 

Red card - the angst of any Barnsley fans should be why he chose to make that type of challenge in such a crucial game

Mate I'm with you 100000% on that, you don't have to injure someone to be sent off, likewise there's been injuries in the past that happened, where a red card didn't appear.

16 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Thought us fans were quiet in the stadium itself. Think a lot was left in the pubs and concourses before the match. We had as much fear as the players really 

That bloody DJ playing house music pre game and at half time to drown out the build up of natural atmosphere didn’t help.

Some people probably did wear themselves out pre game.  The atmosphere at Baker Street and then on the metropolitan line train was throbbing.

1 hour ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Love that shirt, don’t deserve it though if that’s the treatment it gets. When you get home let me know and I’ll take it off your hands and give it the love and care it deserves 

Might have missed your earlier posts but had the game finished when you landed? Who got to their phone to check the result first? 

We watched first half at Newcastle Airport and on plane waiting to depart.  Lost signal as we got in sky on 48 mins.

About 10 mins from landing Half Pint got a signal and started shouting we've won.  Bizarre as was about 8.45 pm.

We got a taxi rather than wait for Jet 2 bus so could get out.  Cases dropped in room, shirts on and out.  5 beautiful pints and a pizza.

Perfect for us missing it with it being a shit game but a win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Re the sending off. Both feet are off the ground at one point.  Straight red all day long.

100% agree. Both feet off the ground, no control. He’s actually gone over the top of Gregory’s legs with both feet. Fully deserved red card, utterly brainless tackle and not needed either. It was him and Gregory for the pen, and Philips has clearly lost his head - he’s single handedly cost his team. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Paul from Wisewood said:

From bar in Cyprus atmosphere sounded shit (guess it is a bit far away before anyone says it)

too many day trippers? 

It got quieter as the anxiety levels grew. 

And there was a lot of signing en route - so basically peaked too soon. But a lot of families as well, but the performance on the pitch did not really inspire either 

Saying all that a full on atmosphere v Hull did not get us promoted and the Barnsley fans can be reflecting the same today. Perhaps if you live there, escaping the place is always a good day out 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Tenerife Owls.  26 degrees and sunny with the future forecast of Championship.

Went out last night after landing with me, Half Pint and Miss Half Pint who is now obsessed in shirts and had more people coming up to me with a bit of love for Wednesday.  Proper team was a common theme.  Proud of our club.

20230530_131136.thumb.jpg.785258fbd07e7e624bf2ed1c3db6b6f6.jpg

Aye my Wednesday tat had a few admiring glances from the ladies today 😬 

Lad got a few high 5s walking back in his Wednesday shirt last night

On another (i think) good point or two, don't know if it was just me being paranoid, but

When Bazza was carrying the cup along the aisle, he got to the end and stood there glaring at him was Ridsdale formerly of Leeds scum. 

Then we have that bitter cnut Stelling shouting his mouth off about how it wasn't a sending off...

We beat you years ago...

LET IT GO YOU WHINEY FOOKER.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Barnsley's CEO....

That's a bit bitter.

Tbh, if those decisions had gone against us, as they did for them I would have been disappointed because I've seen pens given and players getting away with bad tackles. The ironic thing is that its Tim Robinson, the ref that did for us (& FF) against Hull, so they (Dingles) shouldnt expect sympathy.

Also, these things are cumulative, them whining about not getting a pen all season probably says more about their season than one game. We've had plenty of seasons where not much goes right, so again, don't expect any sympathy, not that they/ he was expecting it.

As far as I can see DM, the owner and the players and staff at Wednesday have had kind words whereas there has been quite a bit of reluctant acceptance through gritted teeth etc from the tykes.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

8 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

Who else did they bring with them ffs IMG_0524.thumb.jpeg.462aff852658a81d292483d98435e6a6.jpeg

I've heard there's plenty of inbreeding goes on in those pit villages but if that's not badly Photoshopped then the bloke in the Rewired baseball cap is a hobbit. His head is half the size of those behind. 

And forget the tattoo. What the fuck is he wearing