The EFL League One Playoff final - MATCH THREAD AND LONG PRE AMBLE

42 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I've heard there's plenty of inbreeding goes on in those pit villages but if that's not badly Photoshopped then the bloke in the Rewired baseball cap is a hobbit. His head is half the size of those behind. 

And forget the tattoo. What the fuck is he wearing 

It’s a photo off my phone straight from the tele when watching the game back on Sky. Now you mention it though it does look like the fella at the front has been added on 😂😂

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mark said:

At first I didn't think it was a red but now yes it probably was. If Gregory just goes to protect ball and not touch it away the lad absolutely badly injuries Gregory and he wasn't pulling out of the challenge 

The first boot looks like it missed but the second one didn't. Watch it again for that. A crackers challenge and out of context with the game.

Purely circumstancial but, looking at the bench, I wonder what the substitution would have looked like if Gregory had been crocked by that challenge. 

Windass and Smith probably would have had to form a front two but would we have thrown Bannan further forward when we bring Adeniran or FDB on? 

Or would we have gone complete batshit and thrown Flint on upfront and moved Smith into Gregory's role?

Obviously doesn't matter now but it has had me thinking.

13 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Purely circumstancial but, looking at the bench, I wonder what the substitution would have looked like if Gregory had been crocked by that challenge. 

Windass and Smith probably would have had to form a front two but would we have thrown Bannan further forward when we bring Adeniran or FDB on? 

Or would we have gone complete batshit and thrown Flint on upfront and moved Smith into Gregory's role?

Flint wouldn't have come on after 49 minutes. Not up front anyway.

14 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I presume he would have brought on FDB and gone with Smith and Windass as the front two. In fairness, I thought we looked better when FDB did come on. Can't work out if it was because he was fresh and everyone else was out on their feet, but he seemed to drive us forward and played a minor role in the goal.

Having reflected on it for a couple of days and I can see why he did it, but I think DM got his team selection wrong. He also didn't change it until forced, which again was probably a mistake, but hey ho, who cares now?!

We thought we were very poor n Dingles must be sick!  The way they really went at us from the moment after the red card seemed to knock us right out of our stride.  It obviously should have been 'advantage us' but all we seemed to do was give them the ball back!   I wouldn't be surprised if that's what quietened our crowd so much too, apart from directly behind the goal at times.  Folks just sat there instead of joining in.   But after the collapse that hit us 3/4 way through the season, when we'd been magnificent, and getting 96 points only for - freakishly- 2 others to top 100 points- frankly I don't care. I was still bear hugging strangers in the row behind when a mate told me Vaulks' goal was disallowed. But then we saw it. Perfection in the form of a goal!!   💙

Having been to all three, the two amazing semi finals are indivisible from the final: a sort of three part event over two and a half weeks. I think that as time passes, that incredible home comeback win will dominate this promotion memory and all that will remain of the final will be that dramatic goal and our celebrations.    (Unless you're Barnsley!)  Get in!!!  

Edited by Owling_Wolf

On 29/05/2023 at 21:52, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Thought us fans were quiet in the stadium itself. Think a lot was left in the pubs and concourses before the match. We had as much fear as the players really 

The good news being we scored so late they didn't even have time for an Hail Mary to stress us.

Slightly subdued on the trains back, though more due to it being emotionally draining 

Had a moment thinking about my Dad as I am sure some others did about lost ones. 

Truth is we never really played enough to the fore and we all know a bit of foreplay tends to get you excited. 

Hopefully put it in the right section this time 😄

Right

Firstly, because of work i am having my celebration drinks tonight, so might as well post this while i can.

I have watched and watched and watched videos and pictures of the, well i think whole 3 days worth, but still haven't seen them all.

It still hasn't sunk in.

Maybe when i wake up tomorrow morning, or maybe afternoon, it will hit me that it actually happened.

To all the believers, i wish i could be like that, so good on you and well done.

To all you none believers (i am probably at the top of the list, my glass isn't half full, i don't even have a glass), i don't really have any words except to say, we should, and from what i have seen and read you have anyway, say a massive "Thank You". (Ha Ha, i don't really have any words 🤪)

To everybody else that has tried to put us down before, then tried again after we have won "FUCK YOU"...

WE ARE ON OUR WAY BACK

i NEVER FELT MORE LIKE SINGING THE BLUES, WEDNESDAY WIN

THAT'S IT.

• Haha 1

All I know is the feeling of winning is 100 times better than that defeat 7 years ago. 

My only hope is that we try and build properly. Don't just throw the kitchen sink at it without a sustainable plan. It wasn't that it just failed one season last time, the knock on effect impacted at least 2 more seasons, threw out some mind numbingly awful football, shit managers and for me a real soul search about me continuing being an active supporter. The low point was 2 years ago, that summer was a turning point in many ways.

But whilst the peak this weekend was great do I really want to endure the troughs 

4 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

All I know is the feeling of winning is 100 times better than that defeat 7 years ago. 

My only hope is that we try and build properly. Don't just throw the kitchen sink at it without a sustainable plan. It wasn't that it just failed one season last time, the knock on effect impacted at least 2 more seasons, threw out some mind numbingly awful football, shit managers and for me a real soul search about me continuing being an active supporter. The low point was 2 years ago, that summer was a turning point in many ways.

But whilst the peak this weekend was great do I really want to endure the troughs 

This is exactly it, team like Brighton, Brentford, Plymouth etc are showing the way forward for running a club sustainably and being successful with it (just make sure banning key players from the bookies is part of the strategy though).

Something I didn't realise until I saw some post Wembley videos was Michael Smith played and scored twice for Swindon v Pigs in the play off semis in the second leg, the pigs were 1 down from the home leg (1-2) and this one ended 5-5 on the night.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Corrected for you AB

Its them.

I want a last minute VAR inspired goal by, say Antonio for West Ham at the sty to send them down when they were safe right up to the 98th minute.

Imagine it...just imagine it.

Edited by Andyben

36 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Its them.

I want a last minute VAR inspired goal by, say Antonio for West Ham at the sty to send them down when they were safe right up to the 98th minute.

Imagine it...just imagine it.

I’d prefer a record low points total and a record earliest relegation confirmation.

Imagine that.

A few other records, e.g. highest PL defeat, would be a bonus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Tim Robinson has been promoted to become a full time Premier League ref. 

Every decision right in the play-off game, according to PGMOL verification 

The only thing I thought he shouldn't have allowed was their constant holding, pulling & pushing of Smith for 123 minutes.  There's a good still pic from the side, of Windass prone and everyone watching the ball heading into the net. Even then their centre back's holding onto Smith near goal.

Edited by Owling_Wolf