The 7000 barmy army go wild at Blackburn (a) match thread

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

No but we were very close once. During our two successive seasons as Champions of England, 1928-30, the ref. blew his whistle to end the game after the ball left our forwards head but before it entered the net for our equalising goal in the semi final.  And you think refs have it in for us now?   

Bet you were gutted as you were waiting for the charabanc to take you home. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Thought Keeper might have been asking if could have picked ball up.

I don't think the keeper asked, i think he just told him what he could have done.

I also think he should have gone to the other end and done the same with the opposite keeper, regardless whether it was us or not.

7 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

He was about 30 seats to our left… attracting plenty of attention… 

Could he get his place back in the squad? As in, could it have been that we let him go because we had to get rid of someone to get the likes of Poveda in, and couldn’t get rid of Hendrick, Fletcher to reduce the wage bill a bit? Rather than actually wanting him out?

LiamOwl offered this yesterday as a possibility…. Maybe not beyond the realms of possibility ??

4 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

He was about 30 seats to our left… attracting plenty of attention… 

Could he get his place back in the squad? As in, could it have been that we let him go because we had to get rid of someone to get the likes of Poveda in, and couldn’t get rid of Hendrick, Fletcher to reduce the wage bill a bit? Rather than actually wanting him out?

LiamOwl offered this yesterday as a possibility…. Maybe not beyond the realms of possibility ??

Think his sending off blotted his copy book a little coupled with being unfit.   If squad make up managed better would deffo have Byers in it.

14 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Rohl said in an interview that Byers wanted more minutes and as he was only going to play a 2 man midfield, he agreed to let Byers go on loan as he had 5 or 6 players for that position at the time.

There you go. At the time….

maybe….. lol

Just now, HoylandOwl said:

There you go. At the time….

maybe….. lol

At the time, we were playing Palmer in midfield, beat Hull and weee looking OK.

We had Bannan, Palmer, Vaulks, Byers, Diaby coming back, and Hendrick.

With Bannan being auto start, that's a lot of competition for one spot.

Even now, does he get in before Vaulks?

1 minute ago, Tewksbury said:

At the time, we were playing Palmer in midfield, beat Hull and weee looking OK.

We had Bannan, Palmer, Vaulks, Byers, Diaby coming back, and Hendrick.

With Bannan being auto start, that's a lot of competition for one spot.

Even now, does he get in before Vaulks?

No. He doesn’t. 
FWIW I can’t see any other outcome but George has played his last game for Wednesday already. 

I’m just disappointed it ended the way it did, last season and the one before he was tremendous at times

16 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

No. He doesn’t. 
FWIW I can’t see any other outcome but George has played his last game for Wednesday already. 

I’m just disappointed it ended the way it did, last season and the one before he was tremendous at times

Don't think his body can keep up with the pace of the Champ.

Didn't need to be as fit when you had the opposition penned in their own box for 69 minutes per game, now we're the ones chasing shadows.

Good player but always a yard behind this season, which made him frustrated and led to errors. 

I can see a meltdown in the press and on social media in 4 weeks when the released lists are out, can see a few favourites going, possibly Luongo style, where they are on massively reduced contracts and get cut while looking at other teams.

I am looking for a clip/video of the players and staff going up to the Wednesday fans at the end of the game, but cant seem to find one.

If anyone has a link to share I would appreciate it

Edited by Beaconowl

49 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

I am looking for a clip/video of the players and staff going up to the Wednesday fans at the end of the game, but cant seem to find one.

If anyone has a link to share I would appreciate it

The behind the inside matchday video shows it I think. https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2024/april/-inside-matchday--blackburn-v-wednesday/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

I can see a meltdown in the press and on social media in 4 weeks when the released lists are out, can see a few favourites going, possibly Luongo style, where they are on massively reduced contracts and get cut while looking at other teams.

This. But tbh. It needs to happen to a degree too. It’s been blindingly obvious when we’ve played against the better teams, we can be sliced open at will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

This. But tbh. It needs to happen to a degree too. It’s been blindingly obvious when we’ve played against the better teams, we can be sliced open at will. 

We have a number of individually talented players such as Bannan, Windass, Johnson. The issue is they're mavericks, roamers who don't fit into a rigid tactical system or the discipline or will to do so.

The change should have happened in L1, hopefully Chansiri has learned his lesson and allows it to happen.

We've recruited for it since relegation, just haven't implemented it in a meaningful way.

I liked Byers, the type of midfielder I prefer, can put in tackles but able to distribute the ball. 

I think the injury last year really impacted him and he never looked at the level needed this season. But that whole area needs more quality in depth should we get another crack at this level.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I liked Byers, the type of midfielder I prefer, can put in tackles but able to distribute the ball. 

I think the injury last year really impacted him and he never looked at the level needed this season. But that whole area needs more quality in depth should we get another crack at this level.

I agree, Byers wasn’t the only one that wasn’t at the fitness levels needed in this league. A good pre season might mean he can be at least a good squad player for next season. However, if his fitness and athleticism isn’t what it needs to be then it’ll be best for all if he moves on, but he has been at times a joy to have at the club with some very good performances.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0
  • Like 1

Both Bannan and Byers benefitted from being in a cm 3 in league one with Vaulks covering a lot of the uglier stuff. A step up and mainly having 2 cms in most games (even if a formation is fluid) has probably been too much for him. If Diaby had been fit and able perhaps it was different 

• 4 weeks later...