The 7000 barmy army go wild at Blackburn (a) match thread

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

The point being if QPR and Stoke thought they were safe, maybe not. 

Next Saturday is a fucking tough game, West Brom looked good v Leicester and we have to play to the absolute top of our game.

There's absolutely no way you're going to let any of enjoy this moment is there? 😆

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

The point being if QPR and Stoke thought they were safe, maybe not. 

Next Saturday is a fucking tough game, West Brom looked good v Leicester and we have to play to the absolute top of our game.

They're safe

No way are Birmingham getting more than 3 points

Plymouth and Blackburn are the two sides that'll be looking over their shoulders now

And we will beat Sunderland. We won't lose that game

Edited by Kiwi Owl

4 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

There's absolutely no way you're going to let any of enjoy this moment is there? 😆

Gritty realism, exactly what Bannan said. I trust him more than your good self to know 

• Haha 1

We did a job on them.

It wasn’t sticking first half, but second half, the balls were less straight, we pressed them in wide areas, and we won all the second balls. Just good, old fashioned football basics.

We scored two great goals, and the freak from the keeper, I still, to this minute don’t what he was trying to do with the attempt at recover the situation. They missed one good chance but rest ot the half was us having control with and without the ball.

Palmer, Famewo, Johnson, Bannan and Vaulks were good.

We need to defend like that the next two weekends, if we do, we’ll stop up.

5 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

They're safe

No way are Birmingham getting more than 3 points

Plymouth and Blackburn are the two sides that'll be looking over their shoulders now

And we will beat Sunderland. We won't lose that game

I disagree, and yes you would rather have points on the board, but having watched Wednesday fall thru the trapdoor at the last minute. 

QPR have Leeds next up Friday night 

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

We did a job on them.

It wasn’t sticking first half, but second half, the balls were less straight, we pressed them in wide areas, and we won all the second balls. Just good, old fashioned football basics.

We scored two great goals, and the freak from the keeper, I still, to this minute don’t what he was trying to do with the attempt at recover the situation. They missed one good chance but rest ot the half was us having control with and without the ball.

Palmer, Famewo, Johnson, Bannan and Vaulks were good.

We need to defend like that the next two weekends, if we do, we’ll stop up.

The players they brought on were odd ones. Maybe lacking options but they were all very young and against a packed defence they probably needed a Paterson and Smith of their own.

Was surprised Szmodics missed that second one which was a key moment really 

Edited by TheExile
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Friday 27th April

QPR vs Leeds

Saturday 28th April

Wednesday vs WBA

Huddersfield vs Birmingham 

Milwall vs Plymouth

Southampton vs Stoke

Blackburn vs Coventry

I think you have your dates wrong Chap

Discount Stoke and QPR from that list

Blackburn need one more point and they're all but safe. 50 points will easily be enough

Absolutely no way Huddersfield or Birmingham will win their last 2 games to get the 6 points required to trouble the 50 point teams. Especially with Huddersfields' goal difference

Edited by Kiwi Owl

9 minutes ago, Canterburyowl said:

If we win Saturday we will stay up, maybe not Mathematically but it will be enough

I seriously request anyone who has watched Sheffield Wednesday over the last few decades to think getting to 50 points will be job over,  just watch the video of the 1989/90 season. Maybe that scarred my memory for ever.

Hence until the final whistle blows in every game in 2 weeks time and we are outside the bottom 3, then that fat lass is still warming up on the sidelines.

• Like 1

50 points might be enough for some, but not when you’re the side with the worst goal difference. We need at least a point against WBA or we’ll be guaranteed to be below the dotted line before the final fixtures kick off, but I think we might need all 3. 

25 minutes ago, Canterburyowl said:

I do get it MK, but this manager is just different. And it will be different this time IF we win on Sat which will not be easy

Ron Atkinson was the manager that season, so quality really does not matter. 

So 50 points is not safe. Hence why QPR and Stoke fans can have a nervous week at least 

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

and the freak from the keeper, I still, to this minute don’t what he was trying to do with the attempt at recover the situation.

He was trying not to catch the ball or pick it up and concede a free kick due to the back pass. Unfortunately for him he'd put too much spin on the ball. There was a split second when he had the chance.

1 minute ago, Alan Finney said:

He was trying not to catch the ball or pick it up and concede a free kick due to the back pass. Unfortunately for him he'd put too much spin on the ball. There was a split second when he had the chance.

Still funny as fuck though 🤣

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

We get funny luck moments like that so rarely!

• Like 1

With WBA next week if we cut out the early issues we had against Norwich then who knows. If we stay in the game, at home with a big crowd I always feel we can nick something. If a point was to keep us out of the zone before heading to Sunderland that would be dream scenario as tbh I thought if we ever got out the bottom three it would be in the second half at the SOL, like we did at Pride Park (or whatever it’s called now) very briefly 

Great result and professional performance today.

I can see Huddersfield having a reaction and beating Brum. 4point from the last 2 and we will almost certainly be safe even with our GD. 2 & 3pts could be enough, but we definitely need something from the last 2. Huddersfield and Brum can’t both lose, so 47pts with our GD isn’t good enough.

I personally think 3 will be enough and think we can win one of the last 2 but we know this is Wednesday.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

You’ve got to question how up for it West Brom will be next week.  They are almost guaranteed play offs, and with nothing to play for PNE at home on the last day of the season they’ve got a bit of insurance. Not sure they’ll match our work rate if we really go at ‘em.

Edited by owl71

20 minutes ago, owl71 said:

You’ve got to question how up for it West Brom will be next week.  They are almost guaranteed play offs, and with nothing to play for PNE at home on the last day of the season they’ve got a bit of insurance. Not sure they’ll match our work rate if we really go at ‘em.

West Brom need another 3 points to guarantee playoffs and have Preston after us.

Hull have 3 games remaining and Coventry 4, so can both hit 75 if they win out.

WBA won’t be resting but it’s also good for us that Hull and Coventry are still in with a sniff as I think they play teams around us too. I’ve given up trying to guess who will win but you just want your rivals facing m teams with something to play for at this stage 

20 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Well it looked a lost cause at various points throughout the season, but here we are with a great chance. What better motivation could the players want, 7000 supporters and a win to drag our backsides out of the bottom 3. Just put a shift in lads and get us them 3 points please.

C'mon Wednesday.

Love it!  Game on!!   😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skamp said:

Vaulkes 

I was laid on the floor in pain and then heard the crowd go up.

What a comment.

Just think about it: from where he was and what he was feeling, then that wall of noise from the 7,000 washing over him. What an experience that must have been!  

7 hours ago, mkowl said:

Ron Atkinson was the manager that season, so quality really does not matter. 

So 50 points is not safe. Hence why QPR and Stoke fans can have a nervous week at least 

Fatko said later that it never entered his head that we might get relegated. We only needed two wins from our last six games. We got one, and one draw. Absolutely amateurish by him in that degree.  So quality does matter. 

However, I don't disagree with your points conclusion.

7 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

And he panicked.  We were directly behind & above the centre of the goal and it was fascinating to watch, as if in slow motion!  As spectacular (and entertaining) as I've seen from a keeper since Gary Sprake literally threw one into his own goal for Dirty L**ds long ago.

7 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Fatko said later that it never entered his head that we might get relegated. We only needed two wins from our last six games. We got one, and one draw. Absolutely amateurish by him in that degree.  So quality does matter. 

However, I don't disagree with your points conclusion.

I think my point was in response to another - Rohl is too decent a manager to let complacency step in. I concur he won't.

However my point was that Atkinson did allow that.

The fact that it preceded our best ever season means in hindsight that failure got overlooked. 

But it still lurks, the scars. Even if we win on Saturday, its no time for any form of celebration of job done. As we saw with Coventry yesterday the football God's are cruel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I think my point was in response to another - Rohl is too decent a manager to let complacency step in. I concur he won't.

However my point was that Atkinson did allow that.

The fact that it preceded our best ever season means in hindsight that failure got overlooked. 

But it still lurks, the scars. Even if we win on Saturday, its no time for any form of celebration of job done. As we saw with Coventry yesterday the football God's are cruel. 

Was told the squad were back at Middlewood Road for a light training session/ debrief yesterday afternoon.  Certainly backs this up if true.

16 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Runner up in 2nd Div and won the lesser of two cups?

Didn't we win the league and cup double once

Wow. What a game in the end it turned out to be. 
A fantastic start and, a second half to be proud of. I was a little gutted that we allowed them back in it after getting our noses in front with one long ball into that left channel. It was so simple. 

But, credit where it’s due, with injury issues in the game, and the home side subdued the away end a LITTLE early in the second half, the players didn’t let it get to them. When Diaby went off it actually seemed to be a case of, ‘f**k adversity, we’re having this’ and that’s not a slight on Bambo either as I thought he did when when he came on.

Vaulks was HUGE yesterday, and IMO there needs to be a pat on the back for Marv too. Goal aside, in that second half he made so many vital touches when it looked like they’d got in round the back he got there with a head or a toe at the last.

That win felt huge, just getting out of the bottom 3 even though it’s far from over, just seemed to give a new belief to everyone. 

It was a memorable day, on 21st April again, a day which has in the past served us well. But, it means nothing if we don’t follow it up. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Was told the squad were back at Middlewood Road for a light training session/ debrief yesterday afternoon.  Certainly backs this up if true.

I think having got this far to be in control of the outcome - albeit its the Championship getting 3 wins on the spin is very low probability - is an achievement. I worry more about the fan base thinking job done.

I have watched Wednesday far too long and have a strong body of evidence to know that until every full time whistle is blown in 2 weeks, hope for the best, fear the worst.

I am self admitted an pessimistic optimist. Until its mathematically certain I accept no fate, good or bad

4 minutes ago, Andyben said:

aah, I should have known...

Can't beat a personal anecdote. 

Saturday is the exact 50th anniversary of my first visit to a match 

A relegation dogfight in the 2nd tier. Not much changes really 

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Runner up in 2nd Div and won the lesser of two cups?

Didn't we win the league and cup double once

No but we were very close once. During our two successive seasons as Champions of England, 1928-30, the ref. blew his whistle to end the game after the ball left our forwards head but before it entered the net for our equalising goal in the semi final.  And you think refs have it in for us now?   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

No but we were very close once. During our two successive seasons as Champions of England, 1928-30, the ref. blew his whistle to end the game after the ball left our forwards head but before it entered the net for our equalising goal in the semi final.  And you think refs have it in for us now?   

I presume we weren't playing Man U