Chris Powell

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

What makes you think we'll be bottom ? 

IMO Moore would've been on the verge of the sack now if he'd stayed, multiple times last season he could've easily gone. We were overturned by Ipsnitch and Argyle then we scraped into playoffs. 2 games has turned Moore into some God like manager. He was God awful most of the time. Ok we went on an unbeaten run, but fuckinghell some of the games were horrific to watch.

I don’t think we will be bottom. I was replying to the post immediately above mine by Andyben which said “I'd rather be bottom with this management team, than 18th with Moore“.

Having re-read it, I realise that I probably misread it, thinking he meant he’d rather we “finish” bottom as opposed to “currently” be bottom.

I can see the argument for one step back then two steps forward, which some have been advocating, but I’ve had my fill of league one football for a while. I’d prefer finishing 18th with Moore, than finishing bottom with the new/better coaching team. I want championship football next season and to build from there without taking a step back.

I don’t think staying up is beyond us. But neither do I think we’d have been relegated with Moore in charge.

I think I'd kind of accepted relegation after the Sunderland game, felt like we were going nowhere fast and I was on the brink of knocking it on the head for the season..

Having listened to the few short interviews with the new guys it's given me a renewed hope and I'm actually buzzing for the game on Saturday. They all speak very well and they seem to rate DR very highly.

Let's fucking have it!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

What is going on?

Of all the shite (Tos/ Munk etc)  we've had and now this coaching set up...

Come on! Let's ave it !!!!

I think it’s a genuine question.

Whatever it is I’m loving it, but we’ve gone from a journeyman bloke who was sacked from a team in Cyprus, who’s coaching staff included his brother, to a coaching set up that wouldn’t be out of place at a club in the premier league…

All whilst being bottom of the championship without a win, apparently not a pot to piss in and an owner who was so ‘toxic’ no manager would want to work for him? 

The club is also on a charm offensive with these interviews - all of them are golden and the noise coming out of the club is incredibly positive all of a sudden.

Either Chansiri has really pulled his finger out and changed a lot… (and if it all goes right he deserves a lot of credit)

Or, genuinely, there’s more to all this RB connection than just personal/ professional coach relationships and something is quietly brewing…

But yeah, I’m fucking loving it either way. Really hope we get a win on Saturday, just to really get the momentum going. 

• Like 1

It is an abundantly clear that Rohl has been given complete autonomy on his staff, and he’s brought in people he knows with pedigree (very high pedigree). Chris Powell is a very very good appointment, as are all the staff with more to come.

What I’d now like to see is a similar strategy to our transfer policy, and if we do, we have indeed set-up long term.

DC is clearly committed to the cause because none of the recruitment he has done will have come cheap. And what’s key is that the German media are reporting that all Rohls staff have deals until 2025 (so just under a 3 year deal). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laceups said:

Championship outrights mate.

* weirdly every team except toytown are listed.

I think the market was closed when I looked, because in theory Toytown should have been playing. It came back on around 11pm. I’ve had a bet on us finishing top half at 20-1 which I think it more achievable than top 6. 

The last week or so suggests a complete change of approach. 

What I don’t understand is how that’s come about so soon after DC’s last statement. 

Statements like that aren’t, or shouldn’t be, made lightly. If he’s so willing to make a statement like that then he must have been committed to it. Which leads me to think that whatever has changed is from outside the club. Either new “advisors” or it’s a precursor to a change of ownership. 

1 hour ago, LiamOwl said:

The last week or so suggests a complete change of approach. 

What I don’t understand is how that’s come about so soon after DC’s last statement. 

Statements like that aren’t, or shouldn’t be, made lightly. If he’s so willing to make a statement like that then he must have been committed to it. Which leads me to think that whatever has changed is from outside the club. Either new “advisors” or it’s a precursor to a change of ownership. 

Or he reacted initially like we all could do by snapping and taking our ball home but realised about 20 minutes after getting in the house he would be left with a mitre delta multiplex but no-one to play with it if he carried on down that path

A welcome change in thinking and maybe the Penny dropped after xisco as many senior players and Moore had suggested the importance of longer term thinking to beat “the system” being our only option.

I just hope it remains the case as I’ve thought he’d shown signs of learning previously only to be dissapointed when it turns out to be temporary. 

Having these good coaches hopefully gives Rohl the time to do a bit more strategic thinking on the club and infrastructure. The only downside of that without him being a DOF is that if he leaves it’s all vulnerable to change again

19 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Or he reacted initially like we all could do by snapping and taking our ball home but realised about 20 minutes after getting in the house he would be left with a mitre delta multiplex but no-one to play with it if he carried on down that path

Trouble is with that you look a bit of a **** when you turn up back at the park asking if anyone wants to play

Of course we would, I just don’t see it as very likely that he has such a huge change of heart/approach without some influence from elsewhere. 

It doesn’t even seem like he’s just climbed down a little bit and got Röhl, he’s gone all in with the staff too. Going to be interesting to watch it all unfold. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Supercockle said:

I think the market was closed when I looked, because in theory Toytown should have been playing. It came back on around 11pm. I’ve had a bet on us finishing top half at 20-1 which I think it more achievable than top 6. 

I agree pal and I’d take top half. I’d take 4th from bottom right now to be honest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2023 at 11:11, KrolMong said:

It is an abundantly clear that Rohl has been given complete autonomy on his staff, and he’s brought in people he knows with pedigree (very high pedigree). Chris Powell is a very very good appointment, as are all the staff with more to come.

What I’d now like to see is a similar strategy to our transfer policy, and if we do, we have indeed set-up long term.

DC is clearly committed to the cause because none of the recruitment he has done will have come cheap. And what’s key is that the German media are reporting that all Rohls staff have deals until 2025 (so just under a 3 year deal). 

Pretty much every manager been given autonomy on staff other than D.C. insistence we keep one of the old guard retained if possible. 

And every manger been given the requisite autonomy to bring players in / sign off players before being brought in.

6 hours ago, Reesh said:

Chansiri skint and says club will be playing in the National League unless fans stump up £2mil. Report by Joe Crann.

Brightside MP demands meeting with Chansiri over club finances amid news Chansiri has no money left and the club are doomed. Report by Joe Crann

EFL lift embargo after all wages paid and HMRC paid. Report by Joe Crann.

Chansiri to spend money by bolstering Rohl's backroom with two new coaches. Report by Joe Crann.

You can only report what's out there Joe. 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheExile said:

He’ll have a Moore esque entourage 

Its his first managerial role so we have no clues to his choices.

I do like that he's kept Neil Thompson involved with the first team, an addition to the club under Megson and stepped up and in whenever asked, definite unsung hero for me.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Reesh said:

Quote: “With Neil, I said at the start that I wanted to have a link with the U21s and at the moment he’s very close to us. Hopefully he’ll stay with us for the first team, but like I say, I want to have that link to the U21s and Neil has done it very well over the last few weeks.”

This is exactly what I’ve wanted to hear a SWFC manager say for a long, long time! Hopefully this will result in us putting more time and effort into developing our youngsters and giving them a chance and opportunities to progress to the first team, as well as (I hope) investing more in relation to scouting for quality young talent!

4 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Quote: “With Neil, I said at the start that I wanted to have a link with the U21s and at the moment he’s very close to us. Hopefully he’ll stay with us for the first team, but like I say, I want to have that link to the U21s and Neil has done it very well over the last few weeks.”

This is exactly what I’ve wanted to hear a SWFC manager say for a long, long time! Hopefully this will result in us putting more time and effort into developing our youngsters and giving them a chance and opportunities to progress to the first team, as well as (I hope) investing more in relation to scouting for quality young talent!

Ty is better placed to reply here but you could scout every game and chuck money at it that way and still miss out cos PL clubs either get em or they let you develop em and still swoop in as they know they won't pay much cos of EPPP (prime example being the two who joined Brentford B).

This last 3/4 years, for me, the club have made a huge effort at that level and may finally reap some reward either by seeing academy lads ensconced in our first team or by getting decent fees for em.

You know I don't like Bullen and it is very telling the change since he left.

• Like 1

What @Reesh has said in the above post absolutely nails it. It shows how far the 18s and 21s set up has come when Cadamarteri and Phuthi turn down opportunities to go to Premier League set ups and believe there's a better route with us. 

The current set up is almost 7 years in the making. Over half of the 21s have been with us since 12 years old or younger but we're enhancing by scouting Cat A academies and forging links with them so we're aware of anyone they're releasing at 16. 

Our status is also growing amongst Cat B fraternity. Independent scouts are now recommending players to us, instead of the scenario a few seasons ago when Thompson was having to take anyone on trial just to fill the squad gaps. Sam Reed was recommended by an independent and we beat Leeds, Leicester, and Boro to his signature. He might be a life long Wednesdayite but Leeds and Leicester both offered more money. We're actually turning players away that we would have taken two seasons ago in the hope they may turn good 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

What @Reesh has said in the above post absolutely nails it. It shows how far the 18s and 21s set up has come when Cadamarteri and Phuthi turn down opportunities to go to Premier League set ups and believe there's a better route with us. 

The current set up is almost 7 years in the making. Over half of the 21s have been with us since 12 years old or younger but we're enhancing by scouting Cat A academies and forging links with them so we're aware of anyone they're releasing at 16. 

Our status is also growing amongst Cat B fraternity. Independent scouts are now recommending players to us, instead of the scenario a few seasons ago when Thompson was having to take anyone on trial just to fill the squad gaps. Sam Reed was recommended by an independent and we beat Leeds, Leicester, and Boro to his signature. He might be a life long Wednesdayite but Leeds and Leicester both offered more money. We're actually turning players away that we would have taken two seasons ago in the hope they may turn good 

Thanks for that.

We have 4/5 in the 21s (some playing above their age group) that are looking capable of stepping up to the 1st team squad in time and rather than being a necessity like under Jewell or others post PL it's through ability. 

For me Charles and Cadamarteri very promising and only 18 with Fusire, Phuthi and Maltby potentially capable 

• Like 1

We're actually 'pinching' off other academies now. We've nicked an 18 year old Brazilian full back from QPR by offering him a better contract. Gui Siqueira is only just 18 but gone straight into the 21s. He was the 'trialist' that scored the screamer against Watford for the U18s last season. 

1 minute ago, Tylluan said:

We're actually 'pinching' off other academies now. We've nicked an 18 year old Brazilian full back from QPR by offering him a better contract. Gui Siqueira is only just 18 but gone straight into the 21s. He was the 'trialist' that scored the screamer against Watford for the U18s last season. 

Brentford were he?

14 hours ago, Reesh said:

Its his first managerial role so we have no clues to his choices.

I do like that he's kept Neil Thompson involved with the first team, an addition to the club under Megson and stepped up and in whenever asked, definite unsung hero for me.

True and I think that’s a good move too.

I think a lot of modern clubs have a big number of staff to allow some delegation. A step  in the right direction again after seemingly initially looking to cut coach and staff numbers when Moore left. If we can’t spend loads on players then staff to get the best from what we have  must be the thinking. 

Looks like I was wrong about the Under 21’s then but more than happy to be corrected.

One thing I can comment on, which I think is a good move for the Under 21’s, is that they’ll be playing their future home games at Belle Vue, the home of Wakefield Trinity RL Club and now Wakefield AFC.

At the end of last season the club invested heavily in a hybrid pitch and it is well known in rugby circles that Wakefield’s pitch is one of if not the best in rugby league. The investment in the new hybrid pitch has made the playing surface even better and far more suited to football.

I’m as certain as I can be that our Under 21’s will benefit from playing on Wakefield’s hybrid pitch and whoever has looked into this and chosen Wakefield for them to play at has done a very good job. The stadium itself is being upgraded and a brand new stand is about to open, so not only will the Under 21’s benefit from playing on a great pitch, they’ll be playing in a decent stadium (albeit much smaller than Hillsborough) with some great facilities.

More info about the Wakefield pitch: https://www.totalrl.com/john-minards-on-new-wakefield-trinity-pitch-and-stadium-redevelopment-update/