The Star is shit thread

Reesh

• 2 weeks later...

They're at it again, using Football Manager to produce a 'story' about player wages. 

According to this Liam Palmer is on £15k and some morons on social media are believing it because "FM-24 has the best algorithms so it must be right"

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-first-team-player-wages-according-to-fm24-4448440

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

£40kpw

I trust there will be none of this level of poundage for players under the new (your) ownership model AB, yes the players need to meet personal financial obligations as they fall due, ok a decent pad to live in and of course a motor of stand out style. Beyond that the players are in it together and a proper PRR scheme keeps the team together.  

6 hours ago, Lee said:

I trust there will be none of this level of poundage for players under the new (your) ownership model AB, yes the players need to meet personal financial obligations as they fall due, ok a decent pad to live in and of course a motor of stand out style. Beyond that the players are in it together and a proper PRR scheme keeps the team together.  

Dual contracts and offshore trusts. 

World well for Rangers (RIP) didn't it?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Snap said:

From Alex Miller at the Star quoting Rosenior.

"We conceded three goals in quick succession in the second half but that's on me, I gambled, I wanted us to go man-to-man and press a little but higher but if left too many gaps," he reflected. "The reason I felt like I was in a position to dot hat was because the players' performances have been so good. What I didn't want us to do was kick them back the ball and sit o the edge of the box for half a match. I didn't think we'd have the mental energy to cope with that."

If he posted like that on here he'd get slaughtered. So come on Alex and Joe, it really is time to up your game and start reading back through what you're writing.

Agreed, I always read back anything I post online (for fear of ridicule mainly) but these 2 must feel they don't need to dot hat.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Whilst dotting his hat he was trying to get his "little but (sic) higher."

I have seen the pair of them take a bit of stick from time to time on X, OK mainly from WUM's and trolls but they're quick to point out that "You don't understand how it works" and quoting their degrees or qualifications in journalism which obviously doesn't include being able to spell and communicate in the English language.

Maybe they graduated from the University of Moscow. But even then, with auto correct and spell checkers being what they are, there really is no excuse for it.

I suppose they have to be cut a bit of slack though as it isn't just Alex and Joe that's a fault, there's loads of it in the local press right across the country.

This is what I don't get, it's never been easier to write an article correctly, sheer fucking laziness if you ask me.

It's laptop/smart phone journalism. They're typing as they're listening and I doubt their journalism degrees covered typing at 80 words a minute. Even worse if they're using some form of speech to type AI and just holding the phone up when someone is talking. 

Back in the days of the Green Un, if you sat near the press box you could watch/hear the journos on the phone dictating the match report which would have been typed out as dictated but also checked by the type setter for spellings before going to print and it would still be out on the street before you got back into the city 

Edited by Tylluan

2 minutes ago, Snap said:

All good things come to those who wait.

https://www.thestar.co.uk//sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/liam-palmer-sheffield-wednesday-fightback-4464079

Excellent piece from Alex Miller about our very own unsung hero. Credit where credit is due, well done Alex and a special well done to Liam Palmer who once more stepped into the breech, came up trumps when all looked lost.

Yeah there's a whole fucking thread on it if you care to look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2023 at 08:34, Andyben said:

So @Neville Facking Bartosthis summer/season the recruitment team were responsible for signing the following:

Hits - Bernard, Musaba*, Gassama*

Maybe B Diaby, Pol V., Delgado, Vasquez, Danny Rohl + team

Miss - Hendrick, Buckley, M. Diaby, Fletcher, James Xisco Munez + Team

Loans are in italics and could be returned in January.

Question is, would you trust the same team to improve the squad in January? If not - what would you expect the Chairman to do.

Should he back his current coaching team and try to bring in their preferred recruitment staff which includes negotiating their release from other clubs, or stick with what he's got and trust them to sign a new keeper, LB/LWB, 2 Centre Mids and at least one  striker?

I'll put Danny and team into Hit, Fletcher into Maybe but apart from that it still stands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2024 at 13:40, Snap said:

Well that's a mystery how Crann's got Walter there. I wondered if it was Musaba's middle name so looked it up on Wiki and it doesn't appear to be. Didn't realise Musaba has a twin brother who's also a footballer.

Maybe Walter is Crann's middle name. Or Alex Miller's even. 😀

Looks to me like he does have a twin but he ISN'T a footballer. Despite that, since the end of the Stoke game Walter's been the one in the team!

I’ve just tried to click on an article that Keith Hackett is giving his 50p worth on the Coventry complaining about Bernard’s ‘elbow’ on their lad last night….

The article appeared and I was asked if I wanted to pay to subscribe to read it…. With no option to read for free. First time I’ve seen that. 

2 hours ago, MAL said:

Personally, i would call it disrespectful.

To you, looks like it's not, hey ho.

I just don't see a problem referring to somebody by their nationality. He's a 'foreigner' on these shores, so his nationality makes him more easily identifiable.

It's also a right pain writing numerous articles about the club and constantly calling him "the boss", "the head coach" or simply by his surname. Mixes things up a bit.

Think about the Barry Bannan song:

"a wee Scotsman**

he's better than Zidane"

** I think a lot of people sing "a wee Scottish man"

Should we change the words? (I suspect a number of folk would rather bin the song completely, given some of the comments about him on here!)

Absolutely no problem with the differing views btw. As you say, "hey ho" 🙂

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

My issue with it is, I don't see them writing, the English... 

Given that the Star is England-based, identifying 'your own' in such a way doesn't usually happen in reality. See also the first two bits of my reply to Mr MAL 🙂

2 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

I just don't see a problem referring to somebody by their nationality. He's a 'foreigner' on these shores, so his nationality makes him more easily identifiable.

It's also a right pain writing numerous articles about the club and constantly calling him "the boss", "the head coach" or simply by his surname. Mixes things up a bit.

"a wee Scotsman**

he's better than Zidane"

Should we change the words? (I suspect a number of folk would rather bin the song completely, given some of the comments about him on here!)

Given that the Star is England-based, identifying 'your own' in such a way doesn't usually happen in reality. See also the first two bits of my reply to Mr MAL 🙂

If they're English, they'll use the town where they're from or 'local lad' or whatever.

Here's one on Richard Wood:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/too-old-too-slow-cant-pass-doncaster-rovers-captain-and-ex-rotherham-united-sheffield-wednesday-defender-on-how-critics-spur-him-on-4509531

In it he's described as 'the 38 year old', by his former clubs, name and 'Ossett born'

It's just to stop saying 'Wood this' and 'Wood that'.

(Used this article because it wasn't paywalled)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

"a wee Scotsman**

he's better than Zidane"

Probably best  not singing that song at all 

• 3 weeks later...

Another Miller fuck up

"One man who could be thrown back into contention is Akin Famewo, who has played much of his football at Wednesday in the left centre-half position. The 25-year-old has been sidelined since he went off late on in their win over Birmingham City on January 9, though Röhl revealed he hopes the former Norwich City man is expected back this week.!"

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Reesh said:

The pox faced **** now saying pigs aren't  to blame for the most embarrassing  45 mins in modern football history, just the set up stacked against them, makes you wonder how there isn't another 10 teams on 13 points.

11 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

The pox faced **** now saying pigs aren't  to blame for the most embarrassing  45 mins in modern football history, just the set up stacked against them, makes you wonder how there isn't another 10 teams on 13 points.

The Sky must take the blame article?

• 3 weeks later...