The Star is shit thread

Reesh

16 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Best part of it is Toadie blocking OO on twitter

Has he? Well how very mature. Wait til I start highlighting his fucking continual errors, the bloke works for a local rag that's shedding jobs quicker than Nissan Post brexit....

• Reesh changed the title to The Star is shit thread

Go on @PaddyBlond-0 I'll dangle the line. 

What is in question, for the majority of this thread, is Mr Crann making a living out of journalism, and writing mostly about the club he loves, yet failing to proof read before it's posted. 

Manuel Neuter being a glaring error and has been deservedly pointed out. Lifting an article from another newspaper site (might be part of the same stable) and still getting the Cowley's mixed up in the bit he's written. 

I'm not denying his Wednesday affiliation nor his dedication but he sets himself up when doing stuff like this in a role he's supposed to be competent in. 

Then shuts down the right to reply when slagging off this thread yet allowing others to jump on the bandwagon with no chance of debate or defence. 

So I'll offer you the chance of right to reply to my post. To debate and defend Joe for shutting down his X feed to anyone on here, including me. 

To be honest, he'd have stood taller in my estimation if he'd have come on here and said "you've got me lads, thanks for pointing it out and I'll try and get it changed".  That might have shut this thread down by the fifth post.

• Like 2

Shame really, The Star was my main source of any info Wednesday related in my teens. Can remember mock fighting my dad to get to it first when we had it delivered. Like was said earlier journalists like Thompson and Payne to name 2 were another level to today's frauds, guess the internet makes for lazy journalism don't know how it makes them thick as porridge though.

8 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Just had a read of the Twitter thread and I doubt Paddy will be replying @Tylluan he’s been banned 😂

Shame isn't it.

Joining up to post hit and run attacks on this thread is hardly going to be allowed.

Edited by Reesh

7 hours ago, lobster said:

Going back to the 1960's fans have regularily slagged off the Star " journalists " . In the days when they used to do proper match reports ,the general quote was " must have been to a different mactch than the one  I went to "

Such is life, it works both ways I have come on here happy with our performance and been shocked at the criticism. Ok it's generally more everyone else is happy and I am not.

Certainly times last season where the "win is a win" mantra was said but we rarely got the performance and it never really materialised at all. 

I’m going to defend the journos a bit but more on the web stuff rather than print.

So, there is very little excuse to get it wrong in print, purely because the Sub is responsible for fact checking the journos content and also doing a final pass of the output (sometimes the sports ed will do an approval). In short, very little margin of error because you can’t simply reprint. So, if there is an error within print, it’s a pretty mighty mistake.

For the web stuff, the margin for error is a lot lighter. In short, the journo submits content via a CMS, and then there will likely be a grad who is responsible for a QA of the content (this is an automated approval step), that can indeed be skipped, but because the content can be republished at the touch of a button, errors are accepted and then fixed.

Journos will have a target of submitting a certain amount of web content per day so it becomes more production line based.

And for the record, the types of errors you are seeing aren’t just Star based, but you will see them across all regional publishers. I’ve seen similar complaints about the YEP and MEN.

• Like 1

I’m not excusing it, but, it’s what regional journalism has now become. The fact is that within 10 years, journalism will only be needed to gather info, not to write the content.

I have various AI dev accounts, and it’s ability to write content already surpasses what a human can do.

• Like 1

Are the journos full time?

There appear to be 3 Wednesday specific ones.

If so, it's slim pickings with one player interview and a press conference every week being what seems to be their only access to the club.

Even with all the drama, the lack of anything leaking from the club doesn't leave much for them, especially when anything that does leak they usually find out from social media anyway or repost from other sources.

So I do have sympathy for them.

Bad grammar and proofreading is inexcusable though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

Are the journos full time?

There appear to be 3 Wednesday specific ones.

If so, it's slim pickings with one player interview and a press conference every week being what seems to be their only access to the club.

Even with all the drama, the lack of anything leaking from the club doesn't leave much for them, especially when anything that does leak they usually find out from social media anyway or repost from other sources.

So I do have sympathy for them.

Bad grammar and proofreading is inexcusable though.

This isn't out of the ordinary, the players have more demands on them in terms of dealing with things for sponsorships, other commercial activities/activations as well as the interviews for club publication, be it online or match day programme. As crazy as it might sound, a football club can also struggle for actual spoken content from the players. I've been there and it's a constant battle trying to balance out not interrupting preparations for games, listening to what the manager wants, after all they can also put a stop on certain players talking if they see fit for a particular reason. 

10 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

This isn't out of the ordinary, the players have more demands on them in terms of dealing with things for sponsorships, other commercial activities/activations as well as the interviews for club publication, be it online or match day programme. As crazy as it might sound, a football club can also struggle for actual spoken content from the players. I've been there and it's a constant battle trying to balance out not interrupting preparations for games, listening to what the manager wants, after all they can also put a stop on certain players talking if they see fit for a particular reason. 

It's not a slight in the club, at least they do give interviews. 

It's more the question of sustainability.

Can the output from the club support 3 full time journos and numerous 'Yorkshire' or 'Sheffield' ones?

Every interview, comment or bit of news comes out from the Star, Examiner, YP etc. about 15 mins apart with almost identical copy.

Just now, Boracic Lint said:

Can the output from the club support 3 full time journos and numerous 'Yorkshire' or 'Sheffield' ones?

Every interview, comment or bit of news comes out from the Star, Examiner, YP etc. about 15 mins apart with almost identical copy.

Hopefully the Star goes bust.

32 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

Only the editors / financial depts of those publications can answer you that.

25 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Only the editors / financial depts of those publications can answer you that.

It may be financially viable, probably is.

Doesn't mean it's needed though, just like them BT wankers that spent 6 months digging the road up to put fibre in just for Virgin to come along and do it all again for another 6 months as soon as they finished to put theirs in.

Again, financially viable, but would be better just doing it once, for everyone's sake.

1 minute ago, Boracic Lint said:

It may be financially viable, probably is.

Doesn't mean it's needed though, just like them BT wankers that spent 6 months digging the road up to put fibre in just for Virgin to come along and do it all again for another 6 months as soon as they finished to put theirs in.

Again, financially viable, but would be better just doing it once, for everyone's sake.

As long as the clicks on the articles and ads keep coming, then they'll be viable. 

6 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I’m not excusing it, but, it’s what regional journalism has now become. The fact is that within 10 years, journalism will only be needed to gather info, not to write the content.

I have various AI dev accounts, and it’s ability to write content already surpasses what a human can do.

Is that 'AI deviant' accounts? 🤔

6 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I’m going to defend the journos a bit but more on the web stuff rather than print.

So, there is very little excuse to get it wrong in print, purely because the Sub is responsible for fact checking the journos content and also doing a final pass of the output (sometimes the sports ed will do an approval). In short, very little margin of error because you can’t simply reprint. So, if there is an error within print, it’s a pretty mighty mistake.

For the web stuff, the margin for error is a lot lighter. In short, the journo submits content via a CMS, and then there will likely be a grad who is responsible for a QA of the content (this is an automated approval step), that can indeed be skipped, but because the content can be republished at the touch of a button, errors are accepted and then fixed.

Journos will have a target of submitting a certain amount of web content per day so it becomes more production line based.

And for the record, the types of errors you are seeing aren’t just Star based, but you will see them across all regional publishers. I’ve seen similar complaints about the YEP and MEN.

But I highlight the Star because it is our local paper reporting on our club so I notice it much more than other regional papers cos I zero interest in them.

Don't get why The Stir choose the angle they do. Live away from Sheffield now and a Stir subscription would be right up my street. But....whenever I read an article about Wednesday there is always a shade thrown. Losing a lot of subscriptions by their decision, who wants to read constant sniping? 

The blunts angle is polar opposite to what we get.

Is it Pig editor/ ownership ?

RS are similar, is this from when we stopped having em or because they aren't getting freebies /info being fed. Summat is off. 

Sick of hearing from local media how cunty we are but the Dingles/ Toytown/ Pigs are lauded.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Cheeky bastard pushing it onto the fans. The press never gave Xisco a chance, their beloved Darren was the next Pep and the "evil dictator" is always lying. 

16 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Cheeky bastard pushing it onto the fans. The press never gave Xisco a chance, their beloved Darren was the next Pep and the "evil dictator" is always lying. 

He has form for hating the fans does Biggs, shame his fireguard face didn't scare more kids off from putting their fingers in the fire.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Obvious they get sloppy seconds from the club now, hence the disdain.

Says it all when they get called out on being a bit shit that they just use their following to chat shit about OO and have a pop. Instead of "there's criticisms of me, is it justified? Am i bit wank and biased/ blinkered/ negative? Do I need to do better?"

If any of you are reading this and want the paper to live. Stop being ***** to Wednesday and try to reign in the pigs/ toytown/ dingles arse licking

• Like 1