2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

13 hours ago, Andyben said:

So to free up space for Mo Diaby, plus any others, who goes.

Would you cash in on any of the following who there'll be a few L1 clubs interested :

Smith

Gregory 

Windass

Palmer

James

Do any of the following go back to parent clubs (if possible)

Vasquez 

Hendrick 

Buckley

Say we've got 3 spaces now and £3m to spend plus 3 U23 Loans, where you spending and on who?

Smith - keep

Gregory - thank you but your time is up, should never been given a years extension in the first place imo.

Windass - keep

Palmer - squad player

James - loan out

Bakinson - bye bye 

Wilks - bye bye (lost patience with him)

Vasquez - keep 

Hendricks - back to Geordie land

Buckley - keep - like the kid, think he can offer this squad alot.

Fletcher - o dear o dear, I've seen better Sunday league players - bye bye

3 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Smith - keep

Gregory - thank you but your time is up, should never been given a years extension in the first place imo.

Windass - keep

Palmer - squad player

James - loan out

Bakinson - bye bye 

Wilks - bye bye (lost patience with him)

Vasquez - keep 

Hendricks - back to Geordie land

Buckley - keep - like the kid, think he can offer this squad alot.

Fletcher - o dear o dear, I've seen better Sunday league players - bye bye

Is it the tablets or are you just a bit simple?

On 10/12/2023 at 07:56, Tylluan said:

There's chatter in my world that we're tracking Amad Diallo's recovery and we're looking to position ourselves at the front of the queue if Man Utd decide to send him out on loan. 

3 in 10 for Rangers in 20/21, and 14 in 39 for Sunderland last season, playing as a winger. He can also play the 'Bellingham' link role. Two footed, very quick, and good vision. My only concern is he's just had 4 month's out with a knee injury but, if the rumours are true, then in Danny we trust. 

This may be Beadell using his links already. 

That would do for me 

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

If allowed to would terminate the loans of Fletcher and Hendrick.  Quite like Buckley but has not really had much game time so that one may be out of our hands. 

As long as bringing a Striker in would allow Gregory to leave either on a free or a loan to a League one Club and the same with Bakinson. 

I don't dislike Buckley, but given his game time seems to have been reduced to bit part player, I suspect championship level wages could be better utilised elsewhere

If we can send Vasquez back we're lining up free agent Matt Macey to train/trial with us prior to signing in January. Came through the ranks at Arsenal under Sal Bibbo and kept 10 clean sheets in 21 games for Portsmouth last season. Luton released him by mutual consent the day after the transfer window closed. Can't find out if it was trouble related but he wasn't given a squad number after Luton brought in 3 new keepers. 

18 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

If we can send Vasquez back we're lining up free agent Matt Macey to train/trial with us prior to signing in January. Came through the ranks at Arsenal under Sal Bibbo and kept 10 clean sheets in 21 games for Portsmouth last season. Luton released him by mutual consent the day after the transfer window closed. Can't find out if it was trouble related but he wasn't given a squad number after Luton brought in 3 new keepers. 

Ex Hibs? Sure he’s an absolute giant 

39 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I can't work out if he's injured, homesick or if he plays a certain number of games we've got to keep him, but he's got to be a better option than biscuit wrists.

• 2 weeks later...

I think DR, along with input from his backroom staff, has already targeted and sounded out the players he wants in January - and I think they will be players none of us will have an inkling about until they are brought in. I can see the majority of them coming in from abroad, who DR has either worked with or who have been on his radar for a while. 

I don’t really see any of these players we’ve been linked with to date adding much to what we already have, and for the quality we require we will need to spend big as they will need to be proven at this level (or above), plus it’s likely we would face competition from other clubs with healthier budgets than ours, if said players do become available. 

Going to be an interesting and probably season defining 4-5 weeks ahead of us.

3 hours ago, Bellsview said:

I think DR, along with input from his backroom staff, has already targeted and sounded out the players he wants in January - and I think they will be players none of us will have an inkling about until they are brought in. I can see the majority of them coming in from abroad, who DR has either worked with or who have been on his radar for a while. 

I don’t really see any of these players we’ve been linked with to date adding much to what we already have, and for the quality we require we will need to spend big as they will need to be proven at this level (or above), plus it’s likely we would face competition from other clubs with healthier budgets than ours, if said players do become available. 

Daft thing we actually need to move at the start of Jan not till the end as there would only be 17 or 18 games left in the league - something like that depending on the FA Cup

But it will all happen at the end as it invariably does - and a lot of that is just how it is 

5 hours ago, Andyben said:

Could Lawrence Shankland fit in with DR's methods @EastCraigsOwl

I find it amazing how much his all-round game has improved since his Dundee Utd days. That spell in Belgium appears to have worked wonders for him.

As it stands, he has 18 months left on his contract at Hearts. I don't think Wednesday are in the 'financial races' as far as signing him in January is concerned. By that I mean, If he's not going to get punted for in excess of £3-5m, it would be much more beneficial for Hearts to keep him until the summer, hopefully finish 3rd (thanks to his goals), take the money from the European qualification and cash in for around £2m max (if he wishes to leave).

The above also depends on finishing 3rd being enough to automatically qualify for group stage European football next season, as has been the case in the previous two campaigns (providing one of the Old Firm wins the Scottish Cup!). I think this is the last time that will be the case, due to an upcoming drop in Scotland's co-efficient points / rankings.

To highlight Shankland's importance to Hearts, there is an incredible stat from this season to date. He's top scorer with 16 goals in all competitions. Second top is 'own goals' with 3 😮

On 28/12/2023 at 11:20, Bellsview said:

I really hope this interpretation is correct.  In fact, you can probably say that we only have any hope of staying up this season, if this is correct.

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

We need at least ten wins don’t we, I think we will get some quality younger players on loan and just go for it 

I think we need 12 wins from 22 games. So, 36 points.

We have 5 games between now and the end of Jan, we need to avoid needing 12 wins from 17 games. So any critical business we do needs to be early.

I can understand why Rohl has put DC under pressure to get things done early.

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

He’s not really a player who’d ever be popular here as he’s quite languid and Wednesday fans hate that at first (Sibon won us over) but I think he’s looked brighter this season than last. If playing in Europe and in a less physical, slower league he’s got decent technique it may suit him. Standard Liege is a real surprise though and a no brainer for him if true 

1 hour ago, owl71 said:

Really hope this isn’t true.  The guy just oozes class.  We should hold out for a decent transfer fee.😉

He did such a powerful run with the ball late on, surging right up the pitch to just in front of us, that the PNE players looked startled. For us it was like, 'Here's what you could have had."

I'm hearing we may ask Hull if we can take James Furlong on loan. 21 year old left back they signed from Brighton at beginning of this season. Hull are willing to let him go out on loan but want him to get as much game time as possible. 

Negotiations may happen today but Motherwell also want him as do a couple of L1 clubs 

11 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I'm hearing we may ask Hull if we can take James Furlong on loan. 21 year old left back they signed from Brighton at beginning of this season. Hull are willing to let him go out on loan but want him to get as much game time as possible. 

Negotiations may happen today but Motherwell also want him as do a couple of L1 clubs 

You would hope that we would top that list and its certainly a position we need to strengthen.

There is at least a bit of a breather after today in the League fixtures.

Indeed if either us or Watford progress in the FA Cup that scheduled game on the 27th will be shifted. There is a gap 30 /31 Jan saying that

But we might only play Southampton A and Coventry H - the former in particular looks daunting.

You hope we can move early on the squad, but the practical reality it will be the last day 

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

You would hope that we would top that list and its certainly a position we need to strengthen.

It's the game time that might be the problem. I'm hoping that DR and Beadell don't take any deal that has 'guaranteed' game time in it