If I speak I will get in shit

Reesh

A pathetic over reaction, and in bad taste, is what that is.
Big crowd crushing and difficulties still happen at brand new grounds. This is just bandwagon jumping. If you read the comments, a Liverpool fan tweets he was at the match in 89 and has returned since. The capacity is severely reduced and is all seated, so the ‘risks’ he’s getting excited about are simply no longer there. 

Where do I agree? It should have been demolished, back then, many times since and now. Apart from the obvious, it’s a bloody awful stand anyway. 

Bloody hell, really. 
1) I’m not aware of any chuntering from the Geordie fans about the stewardship yesterday

2) Whilst I don’t think many would disagree that we’d like that end of the ground redeveloping but is it the worst stand in the EFL or Prem, no not by a long way. I can think of several Championship and Prem stadia that are not good, without even considering L1 and L2

3) Even implying there is some kind if comparison to April 89 is disrespectful to those people that lost their lives

4) There tweets someone that’s probably not even been on Leppings Lane or many other older stadia to even compare or make this kind of comment

5) How naive are the other comments about what it would cost to redevelop a stadium.

However if there is a question about the stewardship then the club should look at it, no question.

Just finally, as I mentioned I went to our former stadium in the city centre on Boxing Day and it struck me how many coppers were around the stadium, compared to what we see at Hillsborough. I wonder what kind of presence there was last night and what their role is inside the stadium if there is any bad behaviour which could cause a crush etc.

• Like 1

That part of the stadium was massively under occupied, for a reason.

And… maybe just maybe. People weren’t in their correct seats and decided to congregate in the middle without having their tickets/seats checked?

But noooo. Doesn’t fit the narrative does it?

As others have said, I’ve not seen one Geordie fan moaning about safety, stewarding or anything negative in the ground beside their own club not going though. 

Fuming .. been watching this trial by Twitter all morning ..

Honestly they are painting comments as ignorance to 1989 .. whilst displaying huge ignorance to Hillsborough 2023!

But you can’t explain to them this!

You can’t explain that fans ignore seats on away day.. congregate on stairwells.. and create problems for all fans (behaved or not).

They want to blame the design of stadium - because of 1989 and recent dramas.

Maybe I'm thick, but it just looks like the natural tendency to develop pockets of empty seats behind pillars creates an image only vaguely (but admittedly slightly) reminiscent of the horrible tragedy.  

Two seconds' thought, though, of the myriad reasons why it bears no actual relation to the conditions of that day makes any pursuit of an alarmist comparison (wherever one stands on the tragedy) seem really out of order.  

• Like 1

There’s absolutely no doubt that away end isn’t great, I’ve never understood why the side exits weren’t replaced but I am not a safety/crowd control expert.

There are people who I know and respect that don’t like that end, and have had issues. So it’s not like things don’t ever happen, but thankfully we’re not talking about horrific events repeating themselves.

The Sports Ground Safety Authority have signed off that end. We all know they’re very careful about what they do at S6, we’ve had our capacity cut because of it too. 

Only when the stand is gone and replaced will most of the comment disappear.

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

One other thing last night about the game.

There were loads of ‘well oiled’ Geordies around. And the amount of them that could be seen with bags of ale, bottles of wine etc taking it back to their buses post game was ridiculous.

Tbh Tee if the authorities would like my eye witness account of the Newcastle fans opening the luggage compartments under the coaches to extract crates of booze that had been concealed they can have it.

I get fucked off with this constant sniping at our club for incidents that are common everywhere. What about football fans taking responsibility for their actions. Saying that a quick look at the Newcastle forums barely a mention 

• Like 2

There’s absolutely no doubt that away end isn’t great, I’ve never understood why the side exits weren’t replaced but I am not a safety/crowd control expert.

There are people who I know and respect that don’t like that end, and have had issues. So it’s not like things don’t ever happen, but thankfully we’re not talking about horrific events repeating themselves.

The Sports Ground Safety Authority have signed off that end. We all know they’re very careful about what they do at S6, we’ve had our capacity cut because of it too. 

You know what Tee I am not sure replacing that stand would stop those with an agenda against us.

About time we stopped taking this shit and fight back

2 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

I’m sure Leeds brought more than that and many other matches in very recent times where the top and bottom have been filled with no problems. Pigs Sunderland etc etc so the problem is journalists 😡😡😡

We had over 3000 Port Vale fans in the upper tier ten days ago with no problems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

You know what Tee I am not sure replacing that stand would stop those with an agenda against us.

About time we stopped taking this shit and fight back

This 100%, fucking Kelly Cates n spitty Carragher putting their 2 penneth in. Ask for Ibrox or Valley Parade to be demolished then, first entered Hillsborough when I was 7 year old (65 next) like others it means only happiness to me so they can all fuck off.

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Then it'll be something else.  

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Taken at same time 

received_1649470418819463.jpeg

Is that because the ones overfilling the area behind the goal wanted to be there and wouldn't shift, so those coming later couldn't really get out of the tunnel, or because when - as alleged - stewards told them to go anywhere, they chose to go there?

Whatever these questions from the authorities bring, we're very obviously going to get a bad name (again) from it.  We'll no doubt get our gate reduced again. That won't make much difference now but could well do when we go up. If we end up unjustly with away fans in our areas, that'll fook us up properly. What a load of shite.  As a minimum, sort the stewarding out, Wednesday.

Looking at those pics there are at most 50 people in the wrong place. I guess the issue is why there are no stewards seeking to encourage them to move on.

The overriding issue is that as football fans we are not trusted to take beer to our seats. Guess what the concourses then get overcrowded, folk stay on them till the last minute. 

44 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Looking at those pics there are at most 50 people in the wrong place. I guess the issue is why there are no stewards seeking to encourage them to move on.

The overriding issue is that as football fans we are not trusted to take beer to our seats. Guess what the concourses then get overcrowded, folk stay on them till the last minute. 

There are stewards in the picture though that the journalist showed. 

There are stewards in the picture though that the journalist showed. 

i am meaning in the bit where there appears to be some congestion 

Anyway most the stewards were on Claywheels Lane irritating the fuck out of Wednesday fans by taking 200+ parking slots out of use for the Geordie piss up wagons to park   

That Victoria lass going off on Twitter about BBC asking her to do an interview about the game, even though she said she told them she wasn't there and then ambushing her with questions about ground safety.  Two things 1) Pretty shitty of the beeb to do that if true, what is a fan who wasn't at the game, or even one that was, supposed to say to those questions?  2) Why are they even interviewing her?

3 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The unoccupied seats in the top of the west stand were significant in number, particularly those top left as we all looked at it from the home areas.  I particularly noticed that area in the first half and speculated that one or two coaches might not have got here.  (I didn't clearly see the central lower terrace from the other half of the North Stand.)

1 hour ago, BraddersTim said:

That Victoria lass going off on Twitter about BBC asking her to do an interview about the game, even though she said she told them she wasn't there and then ambushing her with questions about ground safety.  Two things 1) Pretty shitty of the beeb to do that if true, what is a fan who wasn't at the game, or even one that was, supposed to say to those questions?  2) Why are they even interviewing her?

They did. I’ve heard it.

1) It was shite from the BBC, they spoke with her about the game for a bit; how good it was etc etc. Then the second host ambushed the chat which was positive, with ‘a journalist tweeted images’ and turned the narrative right around.

To be fair to Victoria, she handled it very well and spoke well. As she usually does.

2) why did they speak to her? She’s part of the Wednesday week podcast. 

1 hour ago, BraddersTim said:

Re point 2

Cos she volunteers like that James Marriott does and other fame thirsty fans

Sky Sports News has contacted Sheffield Wednesday, Newcastle and South Yorkshire Police for comment.”

I hope we tell them to feck off. A total non-story. 

There’s congestion far worse than that at the back of every stand in the country at half-time. 

There’s no fencing, the terracing is now all seater, what the hell could have realistically happened?

Only thing I might comment on is stewarding, if it was lacking, but that’s about it.

And as others have said, look at some of the other grounds in the country. 

From now on the club should just say balls to visiting clubs with large followings and simply keep the lower terrace closed.

It would seem unbelievable if it wasnt true. I played back the first few mins on iplayer and yes whilst there are loads of Geordies stood in that area it doesnt look like a) there is a crush and b) any issues otherwise. Presumably there is no real restriction or barrier to people moving out the way and as others have said all it means is that people just push along the rows to either side when people congregate on the stairs/ gangways like EVERY other stadia new or old.

I repeat if the stewarding needs a dose of looking at fair enough. However, we all know, except for a few places the stewards are pretty powerless and arent interested in getting their faces rearranged by a laree Geordie or anyone else for that matter