Today/Toneyts Footy thread - Non Wednesday

Jason Burt of the Telegraph reporting on 'disgraceful French police' and posting videos of police carrying pepper spray cans (but no footage of them in use) and innocent scousers just having a sing song while waiting to get in. Then tweets he's been sprayed after leaving the press box to have a look at what was going on.

Started his career on the Liverpool Echo. Now there's a surprise. 

• Like 3

Anyone listen to Michael Owen after the match? He said, Liverpool are the best team in Europe.

Ferdinand, who isn't the sharpest tool in the box replied, the best teams in Europe win their domestic leagues and the CL trophies. Liverpool haven't won either, so they can't be the best team in Europe. Owen, back peddling at an increasing rate.... waffle waffle etc

Ferdinand, it is disrespectful to the teams that have won those trophies to say Liverpool are the best team in Europe.

Well done Ferdie, fuck off Owen.

• Like 2

The question is really whether many descended on the stadium without tickets, or indeed with fake tickets. It wouldn't surprise me that a lot were scammed on that front and presumed they had genuine tickets.

If there were then fans scaling the fence, or trying to storm it, coupled with fake tickets then undoubtedly fans with genuine tickets got caught up in the strife. They will be annoyed at the authorities and indeed UEFA won't take any responsibility, but as usual neither will the hangers on. I would as a genuine ticket holder be fucked off with the latter as well

But I suspect at Wembley today as 35k fans from each side turn up with tickets and no hangers on there will be little or no issues getting in 

So it's becoming clearer......thousands of ticketless Liverpool fans or Liverpool fans with fakes blocking the turnstiles prior to game.....some of the ***** try to rush the turnstiles when the fake tickets aren't recognising and causing massive queues......so pepper spray deployed....meanwhile at the other end.....

These fuckin murdering bastards never learn....

Having been to the Stade to watch rugby, Madrid were given the gates that were in  more open ground. No underpasses to go through or potential bottle necks. 

You could say that Liverpool were given the wrong end (again?) but the relevant authorities possibly made that decision based on previous Liverpool fans instances. 

Liverpool supporters on 5Live, this morning, on about the ticket cordons that were in place at Madrid and Kiev to stop ticketless and fake tickets half a mile out that weren't in place last night. What they failed to mention is that these cordons were also rushed and bypassed by people without legitimate tickets. 

One fan interviewed, Kevin, said "we're the victims, again."

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The question is really whether many descended on the stadium without tickets, or indeed with fake tickets. It wouldn't surprise me that a lot were scammed on that front and presumed they had genuine tickets.

If there were then fans scaling the fence, or trying to storm it, coupled with fake tickets then undoubtedly fans with genuine tickets got caught up in the strife. They will be annoyed at the authorities and indeed UEFA won't take any responsibility, but as usual neither will the hangers on. I would as a genuine ticket holder be fucked off with the latter as well

But I suspect at Wembley today as 35k fans from each side turn up with tickets and no hangers on there will be little or no issues getting in 

There's plenty of footage on social media of that happening. I think Gary Lineker posted a video on twitter of it happening.

This fake ticket thing.... UEFA being blamed by Liverpool players for poor organisation after fake tickets were being distributed... 

I know the authorities get stick (and rightly so) but they're not the ones printing the fakes are they? Surely not. 

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Here you go MK…

During the BT prematch show, during the period caused by the delayed KO, Gerrard clearly said there was 60-80k Liverpool fans there, at a stadium with 75k capacity and what,20k fans tickets for them?

@Tylluanthere were pre checks for tickets and taking booze etc during bag checks. Fans and journalists moaned about it and time it was taking to clear them.

Lets not forget the terror attack at that stadium a few years ago and the heightened security since.

Difference between Madrid and Liverpool is the culture -  one gets in early, the other last minute

• Like 1

I think, purely for balance, I’m going to scan the Spanish media and see if the issues that happened in the Liverpool end happened in the Madrid end. Was it a case of the French police unfairly handling the two sets of supporters with different approaches? Or, is it Liverpool fans over stepping the mark and the authorities reacting accordingly.

The evidence suggests a bit of both. The fact that the Madrid fans were in the stadium an have it before kick off does not look good on the Liverpool fans, but the reporting makes UEFA and the local authorities look pretty terrible.

8 minutes ago, Sheffieldblue said:

Chesterfield having another season in non league. Serves the Sheep shagging,Wednesday hating bastards right

Been less litter in my garden since their relegation 

Always remember that. We were walking to the Wednesday game there when the gits in front screwed up a big ball of fast food wrappings and just chucked it in your garden.  They did it really carefully like they were doing a good thing.   🙄

• Haha 1

French police use pepper spray as their first go to reaction to crowd build up or when tension get Hugh  - it’s just what they do. You get used to the spray eventually - don’t use water that doesn’t help!

I have zero doubt people had fake tickets likewise I have zero doubt people tried it without and zero doubt some succeeded both scouser and locals!
It happens!! Always as always will - big or small games … oh except for 1989 of course.

I have no doubt they were a little bit of poor organisation at play stoked up by fear / misreading of situations. I have zero doubt some poor soles queued whilst others pushed in ahead. 

I have seen stupid ticket checks cause issue at big games and actually a bit of aggression fans  can resolve bureaucratic indecision that creates these issues. (Chicken/Egg maybe)

It’s good for football that Forest are up, but you’ve got to feel for Huddersfield. They were two cast iron pens in every league in the world, for VAR to look and NOT give the first is bad enough, but the second… I mean, wow. Sunday refs would have given both.

Goes to show that without millions, you need to be very well coached, and need to be well drilled defensively, and you need 4 or 5 top players at that level and a fair amount of top level experience. Oh, and a top keeper.

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Goes to show that without millions, you need to be very well coached, and need to be well drilled defensively, and you need 4 or 5 top players at that level and a fair amount of top level experience. Oh, and a top keeper.

Surely you're not classing Joe Worrall and Scott McKenna as "top defenders"? Both were nothing more than ordinary during their time in Scotland (McKenna was always supremely overrated. I've seen milk turn quicker).

And as for "a top keeper" - Samba is fucking awful. Truly fucking awful.