Today/Toneyts Footy thread - Non Wednesday

10 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Surely you're not classing Joe Worrall and Scott McKenna as "top defenders"? Both were nothing more than ordinary during their time in Scotland (McKenna was always supremely overrated. I've seen milk turn quicker).

And as for "a top keeper" - Samba is fucking awful. Truly fucking awful.

I’ve been pretty impressed with them. More critically, when the ball goes wide, they are good in the air. I’ve been surprised on how decent Worrall has looked on the ball. I’d put it another way, all three would walk into our side now. It’s players like that, who get you out of the division, they’ll stand up to pressure.

37 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Surely you're not classing Joe Worrall and Scott McKenna as "top defenders"? Both were nothing more than ordinary during their time in Scotland (McKenna was always supremely overrated. I've seen milk turn quicker).

They may not be the best…..

Bit they’ve made a decent unit. 

On 29/05/2022 at 21:21, EastCraigsOwl said:

Samba's the reason they reached the final. The only reason in the home leg when the ten in front of him collapsed mentally in the 2nd half. And in the penalty shoot out he was incredible. 

On 29/05/2022 at 21:34, KrolMong said:

I’ve been pretty impressed with them. More critically, when the ball goes wide, they are good in the air. I’ve been surprised on how decent Worrall has looked on the ball. I’d put it another way, all three would walk into our side now. It’s players like that, who get you out of the division, they’ll stand up to pressure.

BBC reckoned the only reason Worrall was still on the pitch at one stage was 'cos he was captain, otherwise he would have been yanked. Said Hudds were targetting him. 

2 hours ago, Skamp said:

We're all Ukraine aren't we ( shouts the whole of Europe bar two countries)

Why? (apart from the obvious in that you want Scotland to lose, as always!)

Don't forget this Ukrainian team are the players who chose not to fight for their country. Back in the day, we would refer to them as "cowards". Nowadays, it seems, we applaud their every move.

Why was there an offered exemption for footballers not to fight? That's favouritism. Similar to the train of thought which says, if you kill a police officer, you should receive a longer sentence than if you killed an ordinary civilian. Fuck that, we're all equal where I come from.

If the UK went to war, I wouldn't receive an exemption as I'm not a footballer. I would no doubt be killed within the first five minutes of combat cos I wouldn't have a scooby what I was doing. But at least I would die a hero. Unlike this lot.

As to the game tonight, who knows what will happen? Hopefully Scotland will win but, if they don't, they don't. I won't lose any sleep over it.

2 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Don't forget this Ukrainian team are the players who chose not to fight for their country. Back in the day, we would refer to them as "cowards". Nowadays, it seems, we applaud their every move.

Why was there an offered exemption for footballers not to fight? That's favouritism. Similar to the train of thought which says, if you kill a police officer, you should receive a longer sentence than if you killed an ordinary civilian. Fuck that, we're all equal where I come from.

If the UK went to war, I wouldn't receive an exemption as I'm not a footballer. I would no doubt be killed within the first five minutes of combat cos I wouldn't have a scooby what I was doing. But at least I would die a hero. Unlike this lot.

As to the game tonight, who knows what will happen? Hopefully Scotland will win but, if they don't, they don't. I won't lose any sleep over it.

You lot will do owt to get to the World Cup...... 😝

Personally, it doesn't bother me what happens or who wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

A great many sportsmen died after in World War One but by the time of World War Two the value of positive propaganda was greatly realised. A lot of footballers were called up but we're given non combatant roles (unless they volunteered) and continued to play morale boosting games for whichever league team they were closest barracked to. Similarly the same happened to entertainers and actors. David Niven and Clark Gable both made more films, on active service, than saw action. Niven tried to volunteer for active service as he was a commissioned officer in the Highlanders before taking up acting but he was refused on several occasions. 

The Ukrainian team was given special dispensation by Zelenskyy to carry on playing/training as it was thought they would best serve as a propaganda tool rather than dodging bullets. It's also worth noting that their higher profile players play in leagues outside of Ukraine and, as of yet, the Ukrainian government hasn't drafted any ex-pats of fighting age. 

10 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

You lot will do owt to get to the World Cup...... 😝

Personally, it doesn't bother me what happens or who wins.

This exactly.  Ukraine’s called up nearly a million reservists. Their military ain’t got a manpower shortage.  The British army has.  Maybe a few Scottish footballers should join up.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OptimisticOwl said:

I wonder if they'll be interested in buying/re-loaning Alex Hunt now they're back in the league. He's not likely to get much of an opportunity in our midfield unless we get a run of injuries, which includes Bannan.

They didn't want him to go, when he was recalled, and asked how much to buy him but we said no

4 hours ago, OptimisticOwl said:

I wonder if they'll be interested in buying/re-loaning Alex Hunt now they're back in the league. He's not likely to get much of an opportunity in our midfield unless we get a run of injuries, which includes Bannan.

Heard a whisper from a Grimsby supporting colleague that Luke Shaw could be heading there now they’re back in the league🤣🤣