24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

4 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

I did take to Twitter and asked Crann and Miller about him, didn't get an answer though so I took that to mean they don't have a clue either

They're probably both waiting for Hargreaves to tell them what to write

• Haha 3

Happy with that statement.

Try to get all those that played a significant role in the second half of last season back for next year. If they all re-sign and we get Ugbo, Beadle and Poveda back, there’s still ten departures. Plenty of scope for significant squad improvement. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

That is massively underwhelming.

Does not bode well for DR putting his own systems in place unless these contracts are on massively reduced rates.

Based on what? Rohl has rewarded those who did Well for him with new deals but with enough scope to improve with the spaces in the squad.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Just to ask I take this to mean that the players he wants to keep will now enter into contract negotiations? So it doesn't mean there'll definitely be with us next season. Would that be correct? I'd hope at least there's been conversations and some intention at least to come to agreement between players and club.

They've been offered contracts by the club.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Surprised about taking the option on Neymarv, he did VERY well by and large under DR. But didn't think we'd keep him around due to his age. 

Same here along with Palmer. 

37 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Does not bode well for DR putting his own systems in place unless these contracts are on massively reduced rates.

Oh fuck off 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

We had the potential of 18 first team players leaving. It's hardly surprising that we might retain around half of those IMO.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Pretty much as expected except perhaps Dawson. Suspect offered terms to reflect likely experienced back up keeper. Bonus that we've  been able to cut Delgado loose. 

One or two might decline terms offered but the list is a solid core of proven championship players and trusted by Röhl. Scope to add some extra quality now that the pruning has been done.

So far, so good. 

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse
  • Like 1

Probably going in the basis a third of them will not accept the new terms, already have offers in place. 

So we'll see what arises 

Johnson is the interesting one given the rumours about attitude toward the end of the season, but its good Rohl sees beyond it. 

Good balance between continuity and potential new signings 

Had to laugh at a comment on X from someone who wasn’t impressed with the list :  “hard to believe they’re Rohl’s choices”.

The implication is pretty clear and will be the flavour of the summer for some of our fans : good signings are down to Rohl, crap signings are Chansiri’s fault.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Had to laugh at a comment on X from someone who wasn’t impressed with the list :  “hard to believe they’re Rohl’s choices”.

The implication is pretty clear and will be the flavour of the summer for some of our fans : good signings are down to Rohl, crap signings are Chansiri’s fault.

Poveda and Pedersen were both DCs choices according to X in January. 

Only one who surprised me on the retained list was Dawson.

Reesh is spot on, he's rewarded those who dug in and got us out the mess we were in.

Out of all the players we had on loan, I'd love to see 

Beadle

Ugbo 

Poveda (long as he can look after that hamstring of his)

Paterson and Johnson I didn’t anticipate but the rest were expected. I understand why we’re taking up both options though. 

As the rational amongst us have said and seen, retaining all those players makes a lot of sense. For the spirit of the team, if nothing else. They won’t be guaranteed to start, they will know that. The majority of them; if they sign, will do so in the knowledge that they probably won’t play as many games next season as they did this. But they have also shown they can dig deep, adapt to Rohl’s style and they’ve got bags of experience to help the new players that come in. Most of those offered new contracts are 30+. If they have any ambitions towards coaching, management and such beyond their playing days, they’ll stay here. Play a little less, learn a tonne more. 

Most of them have been here for a few years, they’ll be settled. I think they’ll also recognise that next season will be a lot better than this as we’ll not be starting on -15 games, plus we’ll surely make some interesting signings over the summer. It’s those players that we should be excited about. 

I agree that Dawson might leave to get more game time, that’s understandable. Paterson might want to go back to Hearts. I think the others will sign. 

Looking forward to the summer recruitment. 

• Like 1

My maths isn’t great but I make that , if everyone accepts, a squad of 19. Some under contract may leave, some offered contracts may not stay. Plenty of scope for DR to put his stamp on things 👍

Surprised that Dawson has been offered another contract but if we'd stuck him on the bye bye list then we'd have been left with no first team keeper 

Until we find a new one, that is

Posted (edited)

Genuinely interested to see where Fletcher goes next good subs bench with the new contract offers 👍 not all of them 

See who else stays Smith probably go Wilks hopefully, not sure about iky (can’t spell it)

Edited by HappyOwl
Comma added

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Surprised about taking the option on Neymarv, he did VERY well by and large under DR. But didn't think we'd keep him around due to his age. 

Deserves it, IMO. Been largely excellent since he got back. 

3 hours ago, Chelters said:

You're right: utterly predictable.  

41 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

What's he done to you?  

Nowt

Can't see him wanting to be a second choice at our place and the mini pigs will be needing a keeper, coupled with he won't have to uproot his family 

I like the bloke and would be happy for him to stay btw

Posted (edited)

I think Dawson probably takes the same route as Wildsmith from here. But you’d imagine we need 7-10 players even if most of these players stick around and perhaps Wilks struggles to make the 25 man list or others move on unexpectedly. So had we gone to clear the decks further it would be detrimental as there needs to be a core to build on. Plenty of scope to get some younger legs in the team and hopefully someone like Phuti challenges Valentin as the 3-4-3 type formation would suit them both. 

Edited by TheExile

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alan Finney said:

Happy to be corrected but I get that to 17, with Charles and Cadamarteri not counting towards squad numbers (I think) along with one or two other youngsters from the academy. You'd think we have a first choice goalkeeper incoming so that'd be 18. We're allowed 25 aren't we? So he could bring in another 7 players (goalie would be 😎

1. Dawson?
  2. Palmer
  3. Diaby
  4. Iorfa?
  5. Valentin
  6. Bernard?
  7. Ihiekwe
  8. Famewo
  9. Vaulks?
  10. Bannan?
  11. Johnson
  12. Windass?
  13. Wilks
  14. Paterson
  15. Smith
  16. Gassama
  17. Musaba

Still some if and buts though, depends on those offered new terms accepting and staying and of course nobody else leaving.

Great starting point though.

I’m including Charles and Cadamarteri in the 19 👍

Edited by Theman
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Thought so, I'd left them out as we also have Siqueira, Maltby and Reed who also show up on the OS as first team players. I'm just waiting for @Tylluanto come along and tell us exactly when the younger players have to be included in the main 25 squad numbers, possibly in the season/year they turn 21 maybe.

I expect some of them will be going out on loan as well, especially the 2 lads you mention.

Gassama is only 20 so doesn't count.

It's 21 on January 1st before the start of the season.

So we have 16 taking up squad places.

5 loans who will all take up a place regardless of age, leaving only 4 places for permanent players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alan Finney said:

Thanks for that, although I thought Gassama did count because we didn't bring him through the academy. It's a bit confusing all this stuff.

That's home grown, an entirely different metric.

It gets a bit confusing because u21 loans and prem academy players didn't count in L1, but all loans count in the Champ, so Beadle takes up a spot even though he's 19.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Reesh said:

Based on what? Rohl has rewarded those who did Well for him with new deals but with enough scope to improve with the spaces in the squad.

1. Bonuses are there for rewards, not contracts.

2. DR said that his release list will be based on the market and who he thinks he can get in to replace them.

3. Johnson is on there. DR has spent half the season trying ro replace him with a proper LB, why would we keep him?

4. This takes us to 16 squad places filled. We will use 5 for loans. That leaves only 4 spots for permanent long term players. As opposed to 8 players who will be over 30 at this time next season.

Not really going to rebuild the team in his own image with 4 players. Say we get Ugbo, Poveda and McGuire, that leaves 1 player, when we really need long term replacements at CM and LB on top of that at least.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

This takes us to 16 squad places filled. We will use 5 for loans. That leaves only 4 spots for permanent long term players. As opposed to 8 players who will be over 30 at this time next season.

That's assuming all those offered a contract sign and Johnson and Paterson are included in the squad, nevermind playing. 

I think exercising both contract extensions is a bit of shrewd business. Just because they've re-signed doesn't mean they're both still here in September. In Johnson's case now we've binned James and Delgado and Pederson has gone back he's the only recognised first team left wing back. Hopefully Sam Reed kicks on and pushes him for the place or someone else comes in to challenge for the spot. 

Edited by Tylluan

Why the presumption that we will have 5 loan players leaving only 4 permanent spots ? 

Because you could have no loan players and 9 permanent players meaning very much Rohl could shape a side to his liking

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

1. Bonuses are there for rewards, not contracts.

2. DR said that his release list will be based on the market and who he thinks he can get in to replace them.

3. Johnson is on there. DR has spent half the season trying ro replace him with a proper LB, why would we keep him?

4. This takes us to 16 squad places filled. We will use 5 for loans. That leaves only 4 spots for permanent long term players. As opposed to 8 players who will be over 30 at this time next season.

Not really going to rebuild the team in his own image with 4 players. Say we get Ugbo, Poveda and McGuire, that leaves 1 player, when we really need long term replacements at CM and LB on top of that at least.

Perhaps point 2 is pertinent, that they are not seeing vastly better options out there.

Within our budget and wage structure

I can’t see why there’s so much negativity on the retained list, even if it is mainly from one person.

Nine empty squad places, plus maybe two more if new contracts aren’t accepted. And we’ve retained (if they sign up) the basis of the side that did will last season.

Bringing back Beadle, Poveda and Ugbo (or equivalent) that helped transform the team in the latter half of the season leaves six or more spaces for new additions. If you think these will be filled with like for like replacements for Hendrick and Fletcher and James, fair enough, panic, but I’m expecting at least half of them to be regular starters. The others will be strong contenders.

First game of the season and over half the team will be Rohl signings and most of the others will be players that Rohl has improved considerably from Xisco’s days (Valentin, Musaba). And a pre season together: the team will be Rohl’s, playing how he wants it to.

Shit might be around the corner, but now is the time for a bit of positivity.

• Like 5