24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

1 minute ago, Skamp said:

Why do folk keep saying 'assuming DR is still here" when he's under contract?

Fuck me

Regards

Ron Atkinson

To be clear Skamp, I’m not saying he won’t but this is football, we’d be naive if we didn’t recognise he may leave in the summer, as I say I don’t think he will, most clubs that might be a big temptation will probably want to see him do more than 1 season as the main man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

To be clear Skamp, I’m not saying he won’t but this is football, we’d be naive if we didn’t recognise he may leave in the summer, as I say I don’t think he will, most clubs that might be a big temptation will probably want to see him do more than 1 season as the main man.

If I was a big club with an eye on Röhl I'd do nothing till after next season with us.

Let's see how he builds a squad and whether he can be as effective with a real pressure to succeed.

In some respects this was the perfect season for him to start his career - coming in to a team already down with no expectations to survive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

If I was a big club with an eye on Röhl I'd do nothing till after next season with us.

Let's see how he builds a squad and whether he can be as effective with a real pressure to succeed.

In some respects this was the perfect season for him to start his career - coming in to a team already down with no expectations to survive.

Always thought that. 

10 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Yep the likes of Atkinson and more recently Bruce had PL interest in them. I think the entire championship would have some interest in a coach like Rohl but cash being tight they might not be able to pay what it probably costs not just for him but his wider team. I’d be more concerned if McKenna was taken from Ipswich, but that seems unlikely at the moment 

• Like 1

Would you have a punt on Tom Cannon for a Season Long loan from Lester.

He didn't get much of a kick after his injury and Maresco didn't rate him enough for a shirt towards the end of last season.

If we do sign two strikers early enough, I reckon we'll see BTC go out to Donny or a L1 side and possibly Wilks out on a perm and who knows what Windass is doing but his video lookd a bit of a 'shop window'.

If I was Röhl I'd be tying up Wheatley from Man U on full season loan is Ugbo not available to buy (Troyes relegation may mean they keep him as he's not Ligue 1 quality yet).

So potentially: 

Smith, Wheatley, Cannon, as strikers wth Musaba, Gassama  plus one or two  more in the support roles?

13 hours ago, TheExile said:

Yep the likes of Atkinson and more recently Bruce had PL interest in them.

Judases? Judai?

Let's see what happens in summer for Röhl but in my opinion he'll still be in charge of us come August 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andyben said:

He didn't get much of a kick after his injury and Maresco didn't rate him enough for a shirt towards the end of last season.

If we do sign two strikers early enough, I reckon we'll see BTC go out to Donny or a L1 side and possibly Wilks out on a perm and who knows what Windass is doing but his video lookd a bit of a 'shop window'.

If I was Röhl I'd be tying up Wheatley from Man U on full season loan is Ugbo not available to buy (Troyes relegation may mean they keep him as he's not Ligue 1 quality yet).

So potentially: 

Smith, Wheatley, Cannon, as strikers wth Musaba, Gassama  plus one or two  more in the support roles?

Troyes will be forced to sell Ugbo if they are relegated to the 3rd tier.

28 minutes ago, Andyben said:

So potentially: 

Windass is doing a 2 year course at the PFA Business School so I think the video and his LinkedIn presence, is all related to that. 

• Like 2

The one thing which I think is vital to SWFC, is getting Chris Powell to sign a new contract and stay on coaching, his experience has been invaluable.

I can understand why he only signed until June with the reasons he's given 

Get him tied down with the rest of the staff.

• Like 4

Been linked with 22 year old goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo. Out of contract at Arsenal and not expected to get another one, unless he signs an extension and goes straight out on loan again. Spent last season on loan at Wrexham as their first choice and they want him to stay but he thinks he could play higher than L1. 

He could, but if we sign Beadle again or Vitek then where does that leave the progression route for Pierce Charles?

• Thanks 1

I'd love to see Beadle back at S6 but I do worry that those with deeper pockets can offer Brighton a decent transfer fee.

If he doesn't come back, I'll certainly be watching how he progresses over the next few seasons, for a 19 year old kid, he's a cracking Goalkeeper.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

I'd love to see Beadle back at S6 but I do worry that those with deeper pockets can offer Brighton a decent transfer fee.

If he doesn't come back, I'll certainly be watching how he progresses over the next few seasons, for a 19 year old kid, he's a cracking Goalkeeper.

They won't sell him.

36 minutes ago, lobster said:

But they might sell incumbent Jason Steele as reports suggest Arsenal interested

If Jason Steele can get a move to Arsenal then I'm dusting off the gloves and boots.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

I think like a few of our players have sort of suggested, DR staying is a draw for them too. 
Beadle has improved under DR, and the staff. He came to us a decent keeper, and he ended the season a bloody good one. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fOWLmouth said:

I might be.It would help if I knew Bellsview ,perhaps you could help me out with that?Does he partake in hobbies most people keep quiet about?

I've heard he's a fan of tupperware and platform tickets.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I've heard he's a fan of tupperware and platform tickets.

I worked with someone who went to Chesterfield Station and bought approx 200 platform tickets.They were all numbered in a sequence that corresponded with English Electric class 40 diesel locomotive numbers of which he was an enthusiast.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, fOWLmouth said:

I worked with someone who went to Chesterfield Station and bought approx 200 platform tickets.They were all numbered in a sequence that corresponded with English Electric class 40 diesel locomotive numbers of which he was an enthusiast.

I’d have only needed to collect 22 of them to correspond with my favourite class of diesel locomotive. Sure you can work out from that number which class it was.

Im a bit too young to have seen a BR Standard class 4MT or any other locomotive of the kettle variety in BR service, but my dad often reminisces about them.

Just now, Bellsview said:

I’d have only needed to collect 22 of them to correspond with my favourite class of diesel locomotive. Sure you can work out from that number which class it was.

Im a bit too young to have seen a BR Standard class 4MT or any other locomotive of the kettle variety in BR service, but my dad often reminisces about them.

Deltics were a big favourite of mine but I have to admit to being a bigger fan of diesel hydraulics.I had quite a few rides on Westerns between Cardiff and Swansea.

• Like 1

Would it be better to let Beadle go and go for Okonkwo, Vitek or even have a punt at Johanssen rather than potentially get burnt by waiting for Beadle to finish preseason with Brighton?

Seems a bit suicidal to me to leave it that late, when an injury to one of their main keepers could mean we have no first choice keeper heading into the season with all the other decent candidates signed for other teams.

• Like 1

I don't think DR will let things get that far. Judging by what he's said to date, he wants two camps for pre season, two games, get his plan going forward set.. That to me suggests he'll want the players in place for that to have it's greatest positive effect on the season.

While naturally there's always going to be things that can affect that of course. 

There will still be 4-5 games.

1 game a week, 2 camps of a week each and a couple of weeks at Middlewood.

1 cobweb blower v Alfreton or somebody like that pretty much straight away.

1st camp game.

2nd camp game.

Consolidation game v L1-L2 to fine tune.

Test game v decent opposition.

Third Saturday in the month that the retained lists have to be handed in if I remember correctly, I did post about this just over a week ago now I think and I can't remember what I wrote. The joys of getting on. But the retained lists aren't necessarily made public when they're handed in. Spoilsports.  Anyway, this lot reckon they'll update the following post as information becomes available, there's some limited information from some clubs already posted. Watch this space.

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/04/29/championship-retained-list/

10 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

There will still be 4-5 games.

1 game a week, 2 camps of a week each and a couple of weeks at Middlewood.

1 cobweb blower v Alfreton or somebody like that pretty much straight away.

1st camp game.

2nd camp game.

Consolidation game v L1-L2 to fine tune.

Test game v decent opposition.

So what you're suggesting then is, we won't do with DR said he wants to do?

21 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

So what you're suggesting then is, we won't do with DR said he wants to do?

He says he wants 1 game a week.

Preseason is more than 2 weeks long, he just wants 2 week long camps within the longer preseason.