Sky blue thinking... We're going to pick up three points.

HoylandOwl

Game over. That second has come against the run of play and again, the difference in quality is clear as day.

We are suffering a lack of attacking quality, the build up is ok, the finish is not. Fletcher is a pub player, he reacts to the ball down the line rather than make the run.

We can’t fault the effort, but Xisco’s summer business and the reliance on new contracts for average players in the league below has done us.

Results have gone against us, we need snookers.

• Like 1

Just now, KrolMong said:

Game over. That second has come against the run of play and again, the difference in quality is clear as day.

We are suffering a lack of attacking quality, the build up is ok, the finish is not. Fletcher is a pub player, he reacts to the ball down the line rather than make the run.

We can’t fault the effort, but Xisco’s summer business and the reliance on new contracts for average players in the league below has done us.

Results have gone against us, we need snookers.

Still think it depends on who Rohl can bring in in January KM, if he can his business done early, you never know.....

I guess it's the hope that kills you

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Still think it depends on who Rohl can bring in in January KM, if he can his business done early, you never know.....

I guess it's the hope that kills you

He’s got to magic up two players who will score 25 goals between them in the remaining games.

He also needs two full backs and a player who can do the Bannan role. We also need an upgrade on George Byers, he just doesn’t have the legs at this level.

• Like 2

Watching with the young un and our conclusion was "which of our players would get in the Coventry side". I am not sure I can make a case for any of them and that is our fundamental problem.

We are competitive but lack quality up front, both in finishing ability and decision making. 

Defence as a mistake in it, as does the keeper. 

From getting close suddenly the gap seems a mountain again

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

He’s got to magic up two players who will score 25 goals between them in the remaining games.

He also needs two full backs and a player who can do the Bannan role. We also need an upgrade on George Byers, he just doesn’t have the legs at this level.

Add a keeper to that list as well. 

6 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

That quality of player is simply not around - better clubs than us want the same.

Our issue simply harks back to the decision to get players to get us out of League 1, and hope for the best thereafter. A shockingly bad recruitment in the summer added zero quality above what we had. In part we underestimated the step up in standard that was required. 

You have to get promoted with a solid base of a squad - then add quality, perhaps trading to do that. 

Ok you don't give up but for me there is too many weak links to address

Just now, Chelters said:

5 shots on target against us in the last 2  games, 4 goals.

That is the Championship though, and let's be honest Coventry totally dominated that first half and that worries me more than anything. 

There is basically no option to change it up, in midfield,  that does not severely weaken us elsewhere 

For sizeable chunks of that, the game was between men and boys. Their passing and movement and our absolute pedestrian progress, much of the time.  As someone mentioned at h.t., their 7 & 10 energised the whole team and we never laid a glove on them.  

And as for the gross stupidity at the end, wtf?  Is it right that someone else has got sent off in the tunnel afterwards?  

Edited by Owling_Wolf

33 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Nightmare Christmas results and just what we couldn’t afford. Feels back to square one 

Typical Wednesday, just when you think we might have a chance. We snatch defeat from victory against Cardiff and just don’t have enough against Cov.

I thought Vaulks put a decent shift in but I was a bit concerned he might have pulled a muscle just before he went off. If so, injuries and suspensions are going to be difficult to cope with in the next two

A point at Preston would be welcome and a must win against Dull.

27 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Typical Wednesday, just when you think we might have a chance. We snatch defeat from victory against Cardiff and just don’t have enough against Cov.

I thought Vaulks put a decent shift in but I was a bit concerned he might have pulled a muscle just before he went off. If so, injuries and suspensions are going to be difficult to cope with in the next two

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Yeah we just lacked any real threat when we did have a spell. They looked tired. 

Xisxos 10 game disaster just means we can’t afford any bad form for the season now which seemed possible but today and Cardiff burst the bubble 

• Like 1

Their threat came from an inside out wide man and a proper 10. Decent full backs can handle that, the 10 played inside left and drifted in and out with the ball to create overloads. Famewo, who I rate, is not a full back and neither is Johnson. Palmer needed help from Byers but didn’t get it.

Our issue is that without the ball, there is always a weak side of the pitch and a hole to plug, Vaulks and Bannan get moved about all day to fill holes.

If we address the full backs, and even get someone alongside Vaulks we close the door. We want Bannan playing 30 yards out, with movement to his left and right and down the middle. And if not Bannan, a 10 who can play. And Bailey needs help, you can see he’s a top player, but he needs someone to take the pressure off. I like Musaba and Gassama, but they need a stretched game to work. Windass is perfect as a 10 if he has a unit ahead of him, he can do the wide forward spots too.

If we have any chance of staying up. We need 25 goals, two full backs, help for Vaulks and a 10. Plus a keeper. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Their threat came from an inside out wide man and a proper 10. Decent full backs can handle that, the 10 played inside left and drifted in and out with the ball to create overloads. Famewo, who I rate, is not a full back and neither is Johnson. Palmer needed help from Byers but didn’t get it.

Our issue is that without the ball, there is always a weak side of the pitch and a hole to plug, Vaulks and Bannan get moved about all day to fill holes.

If we address the full backs, and even get someone alongside Vaulks we close the door. We want Bannan playing 30 yards out, with movement to his left and right and down the middle. And if not Bannan, a 10 who can play. And Bailey needs help, you can see he’s a top player, but he needs someone to take the pressure off. I like Musaba and Gassama, but they need a stretched game to work. Windass is perfect as a 10 if he has a unit ahead of him, he can do the wide forward spots too.

If we have any chance of staying up. We need 25 goals, two full backs, help for Vaulks and a 10. Plus a keeper. 

And more of the injured players back and fit. 

50 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

We should go all out fr Dan Gore on loan from ManU. Him with Mo.D either side  of Vaulks, we could even let Bannan play that role if he had legs on both side of him.

I also think Gassama is the 10 we're looking for. Play him off BTC, maybe not this season  but next.for sure 

Edited by Andyben

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

It’s a good point, a couple of decent fullbacks would make us a lot more solid, even with Diaby in the middle and we might even be more threatening going forward. Palmer is being found out all the time this season. Byers looks like he’s got lead boots on at the moment and he’s a player I’ve rated. 
just to clarify I think Diaby has improved since DR arrived, up to the sending off today!

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Coventry looked streets ahead of us in so many ways, I wasn't too disappointed with not getting anything from today as I didn't really expect owt, I am still disappointed with the Cardiff result which would have mitigated this, we need four points at least from the next two.

9 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

Coventry looked streets ahead of us in so many ways, I wasn't too disappointed with not getting anything from today as I didn't really expect owt, I am still disappointed with the Cardiff result which would have mitigated this, we need four points at least from the next two.

They had 37 million injection in the summer via transfers and went on to spend 30 million on players - of which most of those players yesterday.

They were the better side and have spent money but for that first goal we’re still able to stop the cross even coming in, not just jog alongside him. Not going to be easy keeping that intensity up but it’s tooth and nail stuff if we want to stay up and we need a few points on the road. We do have fresh and experienced midfielders not playing if we are getting a bit leggy in the middle of the pitch. Generally and especially the last two games we just look to give teams all the time in the world when they are attacking 

Edited by TheExile

21 minutes ago, EBRA said:

They had 37 million injection in the summer via transfers and went on to spend 30 million on players - of which most of those players yesterday.

Which is of course not something we ever did, realise that you might have to sell to buy to improve the squad. Also we spent money on what I would call quick fix solutions after the Hull play off - that is history, we did it again when dropping into League 1. 

This has to be the change in approach or we will constantly yo yo 

I made the point at the end of the game - would any Wednesday player get in that Coventry team ? 

Incredibly frustrating yesterday yet again. As many have said, it’s seems to be a tale of both boxes. 

Had we finished that mad scramble that was akin to Sunday league footy, it could have ended very differently as we were in the midst of arguably our best spell of possession, on field position, and pressure. But then when we didn’t finish it, the game was done IMO. 

Other teams have one chance, and score. That tells so many stories of where we’re ok, and also terrible. 

We’re not as poor as we were, that’s clear: the opposition aren’t getting chance after chance. And we do work harder, much harder as a unit now But, again, the decision making in those crucial moments is at times shambolic. That then points to the lack of quality as we’re all saying. The best players make better decisions. 

While I’m not castigating the keeper for yesterday, everything defensive starts back there for me. The communication, the awareness, the organisation and ultimately the ability to keep the ball out of the net. Dawson is our ‘squad keeper’ IMO at the most. He’s not the best, as we know, but I think he’s able as cover. On occasion. We need someone much better, commanding his area. Someone like a Bywater type. Knows his stuff, takes no prisoners when coming for the ball, or organising. He just got shit done. 

Whether there’s more to Vasquez not playing, than Röhl just not fancying him remains to be seen. But the gaffer hasn’t been shy at dropping others if they’re not performing…. Makes you think.

Full back on both sides has been an issue as we know. Iorfa was doing well pre his injury, Valentin is ok but no better and like KM said above, I think there’s a player in Famewo but he’s not a fullback and Reece James just isn’t going to play. 

Moving Fletcher/Hendrick out and back to their clubs and replacing them with better quality is key, and I hope that with DR’s contacts, not DCs advisors we can get the requisite in. 

I’m not expecting much from Preston, another place we rarely get anything, like Cov. But once we’re back at home V Hull, who are no mugs. We need a bounce back.  
We all knew it would be a tall order after Xisco’s horrendous start. And while DR’s side are still struggling; he’s at least gave  us some hope. 

• Like 3

Interesting point about the keeper and the wider impact on the defence.

There are a few keepers around who don’t sound like exciting signings but have that extra bit of know how. It struck me on Saturday when Cardiff played Jack Alnwick, who seems to have bounced around loads of clubs but showed the value of experience.

Anyway, yesterday’s result is not really that much of a concern for me but highlights how the bad goalkeeping, bad luck and bad refereeing really cost us on Saturday. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Interesting point about the keeper and the wider impact on the defence.

There are a few keepers around who don’t sound like exciting signings but have that extra bit of know how. It struck me on Saturday when Cardiff played Jack Alnwick, who seems to have bounced around loads of clubs but showed the value of experience.

Anyway, yesterday’s result is not really that much of a concern for me but highlights how the bad goalkeeping, bad luck and bad refereeing really cost us on Saturday. 

That’s EXACTLY what I mean. 

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

Just on this. Leicester want to offload Alex Smithies and will take around £500k to get him off the books. They also may let Danny Ward go out on loan but he'll probably go to the PL, 

59 minutes ago, Andyben said:

by experience, do you mean "not being wank".

Honestly, if we're persisting with dawson, we'd be better off giving away penalties then allowing their forwards to take a shot

Well yes that would help. But, as Tee suggested, an experienced keeper is a better shout for us than a youngster, and probably why Vasquez isn’t the answer. 

1 minute ago, Chelters said:

Well yes that would help. But, as Tee suggested, an experienced keeper is a better shout for us than a youngster, and probably why Vasquez isn’t the answer. 

If we'd kept Westwood he'd now be second choice but could have helped Wildsmith and Dawson over the past two seasons to become better keepers.

But we didn't.

So fuck Dawson off and in th absence of a new keeper give Pierce a roll of the dice 

If it wasn't for the fact that they are shit, I wonder if certain players may have been told they are on their out of the door and just couldn't care less. I would certaily give Charles a chance in goal. I'm expecting a busy turnaround in the coming window and hoping it will not be too late. Blooding a couple more young uns at least and some good work in the window could help us stay up.

• Like 1