Toytowns Cup Final match thread

HappyOwl

Have to say a tad of faith restored. Ok not going to get carried away, but that 1st half football was some of the best I have seen in a long while. If that Windass effort had gone in - should have - been a cracker of a team goal.

Tougher tests to come and one or two basic errors that we need to iron out still, but to actually see a positive on the front foot performance was refreshing 

What a relief and that was a genuinely good  performance, especially first half. Rotherham morphed into a Xisco team completely passive. 

I think Smith has been harshly dropped this season so it was nice for him to silence the away end fairly quickly.

I still think we invite a few too many troubles playing out the back but if we are clinical then dare I say it, the dreaded hope may creep in. Best I’ve seen Windass play in a while especially out wide.

Most entertaining moment was Rathbone leaving a late one on Byers only to be casually shoved face first into the turf.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Have to say a tad of faith restored. Ok not going to get carried away, but that 1st half football was some of the best I have seen in a long while. If that Windass effort had gone in - should have - been a cracker of a team goal.

Tougher tests to come and one or two basic errors that we need to iron out still, but to actually see a positive on the front foot performance was refreshing 

Much better as you say, though the Windass flick and volley would have been vile had it gone in.

Röhl has quickly put his stamp on things and no midweek game will help even more, long way to go this season.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I agree MK. I think we have to recognise Toytown are poor but a) they know how to scrap a scruffy point in this league and b) according to my son-in-law they were decent in the week, even if their keeper was a bit dubious, as we saw today.

Leading by 3 or 4 at HT wouldn’t have flattered but I was also pretty happy that we kept the door shut in the 2nd.

Looks like Happy has the thread gig for now!

7 minutes ago, Reesh said:

What maybe has not been emphasised enough is what Musaba is beginning to show, granted he should have scored today but he got assists for both goals and was a constant thorn in their side.

He should have scored I agree but a) he was there to make the header and b) he did the thing strikers are told to do, ie head it down

36 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Much better as you say, though the Windass flick and volley would have been vile had it gone in.

Röhl has quickly put his stamp on things and no midweek game will help even more, long way to go this season.

Keep this rate of progress up and maybe we can claw our way out of the bottom 3.

Plymouth wasn’t good but there were also some good signs. Today was almost unrecognisable compared to the first 10 games.

1 minute ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Keep this rate of progress up and maybe we can claw our way out of the bottom 3.

Plymouth wasn’t good but there were also some good signs. Today was almost unrecognisable compared to the first 10 games.

For 40 minutes Plymouth was good, poor defending cost us.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed that, real team performance and to a man they played well.

Thought there were a few good shouts for MOTM, Diaby and Iorfa were solid and Musaba tore them to shreds they just couldn't handle him, even after the tactical first half change.

Good to see Reece James back in the side, still baffles me how he seems to win more headers than Smith does though 😆. Not a criticism of Smith btw, thought he led the line well.

• Like 1

That was a really enjoyable afternoon at S6. 
We can start to see the fruits of Röhl’s labour on that side now. There’s a tenacity in the tackle again, we hunt the ball down in packs. Some of our passing was a joy, in both halves we had one touch stuff on either touchline involving 4/5 players. 

The players seemed to be enjoying their football again.

Musaba was quality, Smith was predatory and as we all know, get him the ball in the box. That’s what he needs. But I need to commend Byers today. He really rose to the occasion, on both sides of the ball and all he needed was a goal and then he’d have been MOTM. 

To hear the manager’s name ringing out at the end of the game for quite some time, must have been brilliant for him. There was one moment in the last 5 or so mins that sums his drive and ambition up.

The ball was in their half on the right, and their fullback had it. Röhl was screaming at our players to close him down, it didn’t matter that the game was won. He expected more, right to the end. 

We truly deserved that win, dominating the game for large parts, and watching them time after time aimlessly lump it forward, or simply pass it out of play under pressure was a sign of just how well we limited them. 

Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t good. But we were. And I’ll take that. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Iorfa could be the right back. Rotherham have been playing Oneydinma down the left and he's got a bit of pace and power in him

He's a fouling sod. 4 in 4 touches early on after no.7 had started with 2.

To be fair, ref let both sides get away with alsorts and just booked one or two big 'uns.

My Roth mate in the Lep mentioned our centre half's wrestling all 2nd half  (Bambo, which he did), so I pointed out theirs had been strangling Smith backwards every time he tried to chest the ball all game.

How did Musaba get injured? I saw him nesh the challenge when he might have got through. I looked back a moment later and he looked in a lot of pain. Something must have been very late.

1 minute ago, Owling_Wolf said:

He's a fouling sod. 4 in 4 touches early on after no.7 had started with 2.

To be fair, ref let both sides get away with alsorts and just booked one or two big 'uns.

My Roth mate in the Lep mentioned our centre half's wrestling all 2nd half  (Bambo, which he did), so I pointed out theirs had been strangling Smith backwards every time he tried to chest the ball all game.

How did Musaba get injured? I saw him nesh the challenge when he might have got through. I looked back a moment later and he looked in a lot of pain. Something must have been very late.

Was a crunching tackle, proper old school. 

11 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Cracking day

Good performance

A win

Good crowd

Good atmosphere

Musaba a star in the making

Danny might well turn out to be an inspired appointment

TAX BILL PAID apparently 

Be happy.

Where's that from?

If it is true Crann and Staton will be cry wanking into their retards Caps tonight whilst bromancing over insomnia curing NFL.

Best we’ve played over 90 minutes since Peterborough.

I’m not sure whether they were bad or we were good. Probably a bit of both, but they seemed like our ideal opponents. By that I mean that their forwards got nothing from Bambo, Bernard and Iorfa, and their defence couldn’t handle the pace of Musaba. Bannan and Byers ran the midfield. Everyone won their individual battles. Even Smith, notwithstanding the goals, won more duels than normal.

Man of the match contenders:

Paterson: at his best with some gamesmanship thrown in.

Smith: two goals

Iorfa: a monster. At the level when we first got him. Those surging runs. Mugging Hugill near the end. This is the Iorfa we need week in week out.

But my vote goes to Musaba: a bit frustrating at times, but the first consistent demonstration of the pace that we expected when he signed. He should look for the pass more, but his pace was what gave the advantage. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

I’m not sure whether they were bad or we were good. Probably a bit of both, but they seemed like our ideal opponents. By that I mean that their forwards got nothing from Bambo, Bernard and Iorfa, and their defence couldn’t handle the pace of Musaba. Bannan and Byers ran the midfield. Everyone won their individual battles. Even Smith, notwithstanding the goals, won more duels than normal.

Iorfa: a monster. At the level when we first got him. Those surging runs. Mugging Hugill near the end. This is the Iorfa we need week in week out.

But my vote goes to Musaba: a bit frustrating at times, but the first consistent demonstration of the pace that we expected when he signed. He should look for the pass more, but his pace was what gave the advantage. 

Hope Musaba will be ok. 

6 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Windass going under the radar for MOTM, he was key to pretty much all our good attacking play particularly first half.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Windass going under the radar for MOTM, he was key to pretty much all our good attacking play particularly first half.

Can't argue with that Walks, but he really should have done better with that chance he had which may have clouded judgement for some...

• Like 1

I don’t think I could fault a single player for us today. Even the subs got involved immediately. Everyone seemed to know and stick to their roles. Fitness levels seemed much improved. I thought it was a top class performance. Had we won 4 or 5 nil I don’t think they could have complained. We created loads of chances and critically we took two of them. We looked in control throughout. 
It was a pleasure to watch.

The win was much needed but well deserved. Early goals meant the atmosphere was great and all the focus was on the pitch. Loads to eulogise about and I accept one swallow does not a summer make, but today meant I enjoyed my weekend for the first time since August, so here’s to more days like these.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Had to laugh a little bit at Smith being awarded MoM, was that partly a Toytown wind up? Granted he scored 2 goals which is MoM form but I thought there were others that did more all round, eg I thought Iorfa was absolutely great today.

100% as there were a couple of Mexborough owls behind that as sponsored game today 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Pleasure to see - made a big difference and created opportunity and space as result. Risky yea .. but is this the embodiment of Rohl allowing players to express themselves?

I got flashback to early days of Warhurst running through middle when he were a CD tbh!! 

long may it continue (till we get exposed from it! Lol )

Just saw the highlights . Good performance . What is Musaba´s time on the 100 metres , I wonder. That man can run along the left side of the pitch! 

Ah, and I had to smile seeing the Röhl´s interview after the match. The way he pronounces "derby" the way Germans do other than the English do. 

Anyway , keep up the good work , there were chances to be taken.

• Like 4