New manager thread

5 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Would be willing to take a hit short term this season if we were to use Rohl to fully rebuild and let him make his mark on the club much like McKenna and Schumacher have done at their respective clubs.

Same. Would rather be building something that sets us up for years than trying to plug a gap in the hope it keeps us up. Quite comfortable if that means dropping down a division to allow him to get things how he want them. 

• Like 2

As others have said a longer term plan required even if it means one step back to move two forward.

Perhaps the winds of change are blowing with this and also with the 2 or 3 younger players with potential signed in the summer.  I've not written off the summer recruitment either (though Fletcher and Hendrick can go back in January  for me). Let's see what the new man can get out of the rest though.

5 hours ago, Supercockle said:

Same. Would rather be building something that sets us up for years than trying to plug a gap in the hope it keeps us up. Quite comfortable if that means dropping down a division to allow him to get things how he want them. 

TBf I’ve already written this season off. Unless we somehow wing it till January and then manage to actually sign some decent players.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reesh said:

Would be willing to take a hit short term this season if we were to use Rohl to fully rebuild and let him make his mark on the club much like McKenna and Schumacher have done at their respective clubs.

Whilst it is hard to sit and watch any relegation, then as someone who has in the past few weeks lamented the short termism that afflicts the Club, I have to agree.

I was firmly in the not Warnock camp, firstly it is Warnock but secondly it would be little more than a sticking plaster job.

I accept it is preferable to continue to re-build from the Championship but building on what exactly.

This may be a false dawn and sadly many in our fan base will see average results arising as another stick to beat Chansiri.

My call as always been that Chansiri uses his money to invest not simply spend. Hopefully this is a small cog in that wheel

I'm hoping he's got a pro licence cos that article says he's only got a pre licence. 

I hate articles like this because they're almost a set up to fail. He's going to have to assess what he's got (and I hope he's done some ground work before arriving) and adapt accordingly. 

All this talk of aggressive front foot football is all good when you have the speed and fluidity of Leipzig's forward line but we have neither. Yet the uneducated will see articles like this and then call in to Staton after the Rotherham game demanding to know why we aren't swarming all over everyone. 

3 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I'm hoping he's got a pro licence cos that article says he's only got a pre licence. 

I hate articles like this because they're almost a set up to fail. He's going to have to assess what he's got (and I hope he's done some ground work before arriving) and adapt accordingly. 

All this talk of aggressive front foot football is all good when you have the speed and fluidity of Leipzig's forward line but we have neither. Yet the uneducated will see articles like this and then call in to Staton after the Rotherham game demanding to know why we aren't swarming all over everyone. 

I think that's another Star special Ty....

Just now, Tylluan said:

It looks like it's from a previous interview.

Front foot football.

Letting the players make bold decisions and be able to make mistakes.

Xisco said both of these, then a 2 weeks in said they weren't fit enough for front foot football and didn't think fast enough to make decisions.

It was all he banged on about all preseason. Fitness and decision making.

2 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

It's all well & good the fans being patient (most won't be mind) if the Chairman isn't. Wouldn't be surprised to see play offs mentioned at his PC 😄

Yet another needless dig at the chairman. Fuck off and wank off to your Colin library whilst reminiscing about the time your old man rimmed Milan.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

It's all well & good the fans being patient (most won't be mind) if the Chairman isn't. Wouldn't be surprised to see play offs mentioned at his PC 😄

Ignoring Stuart Gray and Steve Bruce, Chansiri has seen the back of six managers. Only Pulis and Xisco could you say he was impatient with, and not many would argue with the decision to get rid of those two after such a short time.

So think Chansiri’s record is mainly one of patience - Carlos, Jos, Monk and Moore - all given plenty of (too much, some would say) time.

I’m usually one of the last calling for a manager to go, yet it’s only Stuart Gray that I think Chansiri got rid of too soon. I think Chansiri’s instinct is (was?) to give his man time, but he’s been overly influenced by impatient vocal fans.

• Like 4

Hoping all non football admin will be sorted this am so they can announce.

There was plenty xisco did wrong and I think that’s been discussed to death but he was also in that unfortunate spot of being the man right after the Moore shock and expectations were different ie if you get rid of steady Eddy Moore you’re needing to justify that with something better and more exciting which didn’t happen. There was no talk of needing to accept relegation then.

With Rohl, whilst it’s early I think he’s in a similar position to Moore when he came in where the issues were not seen as his fault and was the “builder” so I think fans at least will give him the benefit of the doubt as long as the players are putting a shift in and he manages the media.

• Like 1

Have a look at this.

Hes apparently commented on the crowd at S6 to a German media outlet.

https://www-kicker-de.translate.goog/neue-aufgabe-fuer-flicks-ex-assistenten-roehl-soll-sheffield-wednesday-retten-973480/artikel?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=es&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Röhl has nevertheless identified approaches for improvements in game and video analyzes and has already created player profiles. “The club has a great tradition,” he says, and 25,000 spectators and more come to the games. “There is a typical English atmosphere in the stadium,” said Röhl. “It was always my dream to return to England.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

For me the most exciting appointment of Chansiri's  ownership. I hope that a major part of the discussions have been around realistic expectations and timeframes. Would be good to hear of a long term vision at his unveiling that the majority of fans buy into

There was a German article which suggested a contract until June 25 which is a break from the norm. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

We as fans need to give him time, it's not going to happen overnight.

Munoz left us in a dire position & any manager that comes in will have it all to do.

If he keeps us up, then he's worked miracles, especially with this group of players.

Well hello Captain Fucking Obvious.

This made me chuckle from the article Tee posted 

"An agreement was reached: the German football teacher and the traditional English club with its owner at the helmet agreed to work together. The necessary work permit in England was issued on Friday morning"

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Reesh said:

This made me chuckle from the article Tee posted 

"An agreement was reached: the German football teacher and the traditional English club with its owner at the helmet agreed to work together. The necessary work permit in England was issued on Friday morning"

Please stop giving Nev more reasons to comment 

• Haha 2

Can’t believe we’re close to getting him - I didn’t think he’d come near us.

When I mentioned Colin, it wasn’t because I wanted him, it was because there was nobody else out there with a record like his when it came to turning things round quickly at struggling clubs. He was/is the best out there to carry out a short term fix, and I’ll continue to argue that in football terms. In a perfect world I want to own and drive a Ferrari, but I can’t afford one so have to settle for the best car I can afford that’s on the market. That was the comparison I was making - I want what’s best for SWFC and if he was the best for us then so be it. I wouldn’t have liked it, I certainly didn’t want him, but unlike most I would have accepted it. Thankfully that doesn’t look like it will come to fruition.

I’ve argued for a while (as posters such as mkowl have) that we need some longer term planning and direction, to be more proactive than reactive, and in this fella I think we’ve got somebody with that mindset. I’m absolutely buzzing at the thought of him coming to SWFC because he is quality and has got the CV to back that up. I genuinely think we might have the manager we’ve cried out for and needed for a number of years - and hopefully we are now finally, as a club, starting to think medium to long term, rather than the here and now.

But as has been alluded to already, for that to work he needs the full backing and patience of supporters, and he will also need the financial backing and support of Chansiri, as the best we can hope for this season is staying up - if we manage that then I think the future might finally, and at last, be bright for SWFC.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TheExile said:

There was a German article which suggested a contract until June 25 which is a break from the norm. 

Winds of change blowing through Hillsborough hopefully - not just a new manager.

I've  also read that he has already been studying videos/analysis of us and that work permit(s) have been obtained. Puts paid to the guff about Chansiri dragging his heels.

Hopefully this week has been used to put the players through a hard fitness regime (they'll  need it IMO).

• Like 2

The press Conference will be intruguing.

If DC states that this is the first step in a long term plan to make the club self sustainable and everyone will work towards the same strategy throughout the club, that will be music to everyone’s ears.

A reasonable and intelligent Wednesday fan would accept that and back both owner and coach. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

If DC states that this is the first step in a long term plan to make the club self sustainable and everyone will work towards the same strategy throughout the club, that will be music to everyone’s ears.

A reasonable and intelligent Wednesday fan would accept that and back both owner and coach. 

It's amusing that this...

8 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

"Why is this video of the players in slow motion?"

"It's not"

...was the very next post

7 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Not to some nobs, especially on the other site. Hate runs too deep.

Talk of Miroslav Klose coming in as assistant btw.