Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse...

Otto_Man

11 hours ago, Winco said:

They got what they deserved at S6 the bastards.

I was at OT and avoided the bother.

But, I remember the game at Hillsborough for two reasons.

One was that Roy Keane made Shez and Carlton shit there pants and ran the show.

The other was the absolute pasting that United fans took all over the City that day.

• 1 month later...

Interesting how Hallam FM posted about it on Twitter

A Rotherham man has been given a suspended prison sentence & a 5 year football banning order for mocking the death of @SunderlandAFC mascot Bradley Lowery.

32 y/o Dale Houghton held up a picture of the late 6 y/o to away fans during the @SkyBetChamp fixture at @swfc:

He seemed to be truly remorseful about what he did and I don’t think anyone would argue it was a stupid thing to do.

However I would be amazed if any SAFC fan either noticed him holding up his phone and or what was on it.

The outrage cane later on social media.

I saw it reported on the local news last night (can’t recall which channel BBC/ITV) but to be fair to them they spent a reasonable amount of time talking about the money raised by our fans and what it would be used to pay for.

30 minutes ago, OptimisticOwl said:

An interesting take on things

I think that puts it in perspective.

The problem with free speech is who monitors where it crosses a line. The issue is when people seek out to be offended just because they can about something they should pass them by.

Social media can do that quite easily. I try these days to not engage with certain people and the comments they make. You will never convince them they are wrong

8 hours ago, mkowl said:

The problem with free speech is who monitors where it crosses a line. The issue is when people seek out to be offended just because they can about something they should pass them by.

Social media can do that quite easily. I try these days to not engage with certain people and the comments they make. You will never convince them they are wrong

Re the first bit... The irony...

There's no such thing as free speech, and never really has been. 

Re the second bit in bold.

Absolutely and I know a few folks like that. 

People being convicted of public order offences for things that are merely insensitive and in very poor taste, is a dubious, and possibly dangerous precedent.  Basically we live in a country with millions of silly knobheads who completely overreact to these kinds of incidents, and need to fucking grow up.  However offensive those two idiots actions were, it was clearly not a public order offence.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, owl71 said:

People being convicted of public order offences for things that are merely insensitive and in very poor taste, is a dubious, and possibly dangerous precedent.  Basically we live in a country with millions of silly knobheads who completely overreact to these kinds of incidents, and need to fucking grow up.  However offensive those two idiots actions were, it was clearly not a public order offence.

Agreed.

I don't agree with folks being charged with offences for "jokes between like minded people". 

I'll be honest and I'd say a fair few on here would be the same I'd be worried if my phone ever got lost as some of the stuff I've shared aren't PC.

• Like 2

As the years go by you realise there are some things that shouldn’t be tolerated and you realise some people are just morons but actually don’t necessarily understand their actions, and I agree somehow the scale of how to punish people for doing stupid things compared to people doing other horrendous things seems to be screwed up. 
What he did was stupid  and I think the response of other supporters reflects the embarrassment.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Snap said:

Hmmmm, ranting Jim venting his frustration, mundane job, answering phone calls and emails all night long, ranting missus, doesn't go to games, loves the chairman really. Uses crumbling when he really should use tumbling, dissertation on fan engagement. Fark off Jim. And take your mates with you. Turn up and support Wednesday or don't, it really isn't that difficult. Unless of course you have a couple of hundred million going spare, then you got a voice, otherwise, STFU.

He's a decent lad, wrong in this like but a decent lad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

How do you make a helicopter gesture ? Twirl your arms above your head like a 4 year old? If so put a scarf in a hand and that's every crowd in the 1950s

I mean there is one option that would definitely get you ejected. 

I suppose its context, our 2 idiots showing a pic of Bradley, Millwall doing that v Leicester. There is winding up and then there is offensive

Don't get me wrong having a go at the Welsh, scousers, etc and them getting all upset is like fuck off.

7 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

For literally decades opposition fans (particularly scousers) have done airplane "impressions" at Old Trafford. Not sure I understand the issue?

Woke generation - you have to get offended by anything and everything

14 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

For literally decades opposition fans (particularly scousers) have done airplane "impressions" at Old Trafford. Not sure I understand the issue?

Didnt we do the Dambuster tune when we were in Europe in the early 90's?

We used to sing “we all fucking hate L**ds” to the damn busters tune and used that as the excuse after the semi final defeat there, if memory serves me correctly (which it often doesn’t). I think we even got an apology from the vicar / priest after the game for the treatment we got from their fans. 

IIRC - the dambusters was purpotedly sang following the Kaiserslautern game but I've always been a wee bit scpetical

It was 5 months  between 2nd leg of Kaiserslautern and Man U at Old Trafford

Edited by Andyben

11 minutes ago, Andyben said:

IIRC - the dambusters was purpotedly sang following the Kaiserslautern game but I've always been a wee bit scpetical

It was 5 months  between 2nd leg of Kaiserslautern and Man U at Old Trafford

Thats how I remember it. 

@Supercockle I also remember singing "we all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds..." "We all hate fucking Leeds" to the Dambuster theme too

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

Thats how I remember it. 

@Supercockle I also remember singing "we all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds..." "We all hate fucking Leeds" to the Dambuster theme too

we didn't play at Old Trafford until April, 2nd leg at home vs Kaiserslautern was in November