The best manager we've had in my lifetime was Harry Catterick. He took us to runners up in the old first division but needed a bit of cash (£60K) to finish the jigsaw and most likely win the title next year. The board agreed but the Secretary didn;t and he hung on to the money. Catterick walked and later won the title with Everton.

Just now, Bellsview said:

I’d be on the phone to Roy Keane tonight and offer him a caretaker post for the rest of the season plus playoffs.

He’d get the players putting a shift in and he might just reignite the club and fanbase.

You can’t be serious! He’s fucking gash.

I don't really think there are come and get me options out there - well that are realistic. But Moore simply cannot take us any further. 

There is nothing left for him to give this squad that will arrest this slide. Certainly not capable of motivating them for the play offs which is where we are headed. 

Auto promotion went this afternoon. 

I don’t think changing a manager at this stage will have even a remotely positive effect.

There isn’t one manager available who I think could come in and hit the ground running, especially considering that half of the players have run out of legs, and we have two key players appearing to be finished for the season.

People say Roy Keane, I’ve heard Mick McCarthy been mentioned, even the Cowleys have popped up. Keane and McCarthy are dinosaurs, Keane hasn’t had a whiff of a job for 4 years now, and McCarthy was a shambles at Blackpool. The Cowleys need a year to build.

Moore needs to set up his team now for four games to win at all costs. And the players have got to knuckle down and put things right. One or two of them have got to realise that if they continue to not perform, they’ll be out of the game in the summer. He’s got to be tearing strips of them, make them realise that this will be it for many of them.

It’s a minimum of four and potentially seven cup finals, and we have to win every single game.

But, regardless of what happens in those seven games, he’s gone in the summer.

• Like 2

I concur that there is no obvious candidate out there 

Indeed I think this squad is both physically and mentally shot.

But Moore is gone mentally. Let him lead the clap along for the rest of the season at home games, but shunt him upstairs to DoF. 

Because that role is sadly lacking. Someone that can sort out the long running issues that seriously impact any chance of progress

Let's not underplay that another re-build is needed this summer. How we let ourselves into that scenario again. Is it no surprise the players are performing as they are fretting about their contracts. 

The old adage fail to plan plan to fail is so ridiculously true. We go on about the Wednesday way but its actually self inflicted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Can't see him leaving before end of season.  I love the bloke but time is up.

Next on the conveyor belt - some left field options.

Scott Brown - doing well at Fleetwood.

Joey Barton- might be time for a nasty c@nt.

Tim Sherwood -always liked him and might fancy a challenge.

Benito Carbone - desperate for a role at Wednesday. 

44 minutes ago, bricat said:

At the right club I think Duncan Ferguson would be successful. Whether we are the right club, who knows?

"Tell me fan ownership is a bad idea without telling me fan ownership is a bad idea"

• Thanks 1

We need someone for the last few games and recognise that what he has to work with isn't up to playing the system we currently are.

If Moore's idea of this is to bypass the midfield in order to save the legs then it's not working as they're actually having to cover more ground when the ball comes straight back. 

So Moore either has to come up with something new and/or relax his reservations about playing 'non volume' players or giving the kids a go. I don't think he'll do either so we're stuck with what we've got, squad wise.

The Cowley's were unbeaten in their first 6 games at Huddersfield and won 6 and drew 2 of their first 12 at Portsmouth. Tee says they probably wouldn't come in firefighting and would want something longer but if you're being talked about as being on the Hearts shortlist and our job comes up... Problem is probably Chansiri, if Danny Cowley snubbed him last time to join Huddersfield

How about asking Scotland if we can borrow Steve Clarke till the end of the season?

The ironic thing about this is that, if Windass and Byers weren’t injured, we wouldn’t be talking about this. 
I suppose what that shows is that, as many have said before, Moore struggles to adapt to changing circumstances. 
As always it’s fine margins but the way it has all unravelled means the finger has to be pointed at him. 
I don’t agree with some that say the players have a mentality issue, I think their legs have gone, which betrays the sense of having a lot of over 30s in a long, hard season. The spine of our team recently has been Flint, Bannan, Gregory, combined age of about 100.

5 minutes ago, Chelters said:

The ironic thing about this is that, if Windass and Byers weren’t injured, we wouldn’t be talking about this. 
I suppose what that shows is that, as many have said before, Moore struggles to adapt to changing circumstances. 
As always it’s fine margins but the way it has all unravelled means the finger has to be pointed at him. 
I don’t agree with some that say the players have a mentality issue, I think their legs have gone, which betrays the sense of having a lot of over 30s in a long, hard season. The spine of our team recently has been Flint, Bannan, Gregory, combined age of about 100.

Today was the first time I sensed it. The mental side. 

Keep saying it, the long unbeaten run really has not helped. It just meant the cliff was further to fall from and it hit right at the wrong time.

Perhaps a loss when we got out of jail a couple of times would have been a wake up call. Saying that it might have started the journey of doom sooner

Another issue with the long unbeaten run is that the others kept up with us.  Had we been able to get clear water between us and Plymouth and Ipswich, the pressure might not be so intense.

It's a bit like Wrexham and Notts County. All them points and one is going to have to go through via the playoffs.

Congratulations Derby - you watch.

Two players don’t make a team. Sorrr but that’s just bullshit. 
the squad has been getting sucked off all season that it’s the best, now they’ve been proven there actually not has caused the problem.

and thats Moore’s fault 

• Like 2

Meh no animal rights protest back then.

Saying that it's the ruddy vegans that have scuppered us at Forest Green

It has been a strange season because even though we have been at the top, had the long unbeaten run, I have not really been convinced by the performances.

The victory over Plymouth did change my perception, as did Wycombe away. Charlton away was perhaps a sign of the negative change. Failure to take our chances, fortunate not to concede and the loss of control of games for long periods.

Moore has flattered to deceive throughout his tenure, the credit he built up has quickly disappeared. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Meh no animal rights protest back then.

Saying that it's the ruddy vegans that have scuppered us at Forest Green

It has been a strange season because even though we have been at the top, had the long unbeaten run, I have not really been convinced by the performances.

The victory over Plymouth did change my perception, as did Wycombe away. Charlton away was perhaps a sign of the negative change. Failure to take our chances, fortunate not to concede and the loss of control of games for long periods.

Moore has flattered to deceive throughout his tenure, the credit he built up has quickly disappeared. 

Thus is definitely the case.  We have been functional and thorough.  Battered a couple of the lesser teams at home and a very good Plymouth victory who were poor on the day.

There would be an argument to say a number of the wins could have swung either way.

When thinking about Players of the Season and League One teams of the season not many jump out.

DC kept CC after 2 playoff fails. We started poorly the following season and went at Christmas. What odds on the same happening with DM if we fail to get promoted?

I can’t see happening if we don’t get promoted but I’d get someone new in after the last game of the season whenever that might be. The more insoluble question, who do we get to replace DM? A cheeky bid for Duff?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

Let me throw this out.

If we finish 3rd, on say 94 points, would Moore get sacked?

Put that way, it’s a very good season in anyone’s books.

But it’s the way we’ve just seemed to have imploded and teams know we have.

Let me throw this out.

If we don't go up via the play offs, then probably 

Look what happened in the third season with Carlos. Twice in the play offs, twice failed - third season wasn't good at all. I don't think Chansiri will take that chance

Shame because he's been a breath of fresh air compared to watching Monkball, Pulisball and Luhakayball. 

Let me throw this out.

Chansiri won't sack him until it's next season and too late to bring in a half decent replacement, as they'll have all secured roles in pre season.

I'm looking at next season's potential squad and we have 5 players who will be 30 or 30+ next season. If Moore keeps Palmer, Flint, Windass, Gregory, James and Johnson then the figure rises to 11. That's half our 1st team squad for next season and most of them start. So where would the squad revamp come from? 

Anyone who comes in after September has to work with Moore's squad, whoever he's brought in. The club needs a complete reset and Moore has to go regardless of which division we're in. 

14 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Chansiri won't sack him until it's next season and too late to bring in a half decent replacement, as they'll have all secured roles in pre season.

I'm looking at next season's potential squad and we have 5 players who will be 30 or 30+ next season. If Moore keeps Palmer, Flint, Windass, Gregory, James and Johnson then the figure rises to 11. That's half our 1st team squad for next season and most of them start. So where would the squad revamp come from? 

Anyone who comes in after September has to work with Moore's squad, whoever he's brought in. The club needs a complete reset and Moore has to go regardless of which division we're in. 

Do you think that fans would accept a reset, even in League One, especially if it might take 2 summers to do?

I am not disagreeing by the way, but a rebuild the size of one we have coming is going to need 10-15 players to come in, and it will take probably four windows to move people out and bring people in. And that’s not including bringing a recruitment team in to do it.

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Do you think that fans would accept a reset, even in League One, especially if it might take 2 summers to do?

I am not disagreeing by the way, but a rebuild the size of one we have coming is going to need 10-15 players to come in, and it will take probably four windows to move people out and bring people in. And that’s not including bringing a recruitment team in to do it.

Not sure it will take as long as that. Brown, Iorfa, Adeniran, Gregory, Paterson, Dele-Bashiru, Johnson, Stockdale, Hunt, Flint could very well all be gone this summer, plus Windass if we don’t go up. 

1 minute ago, Chelters said:

Not sure it will take as long as that. Brown, Iorfa, Adeniran, Gregory, Paterson, Dele-Bashiru, Johnson, Stockdale, Hunt, Flint could very well all be gone this summer, plus Windass if we don’t go up. 

I think it could. The issue we will have is that we won’t know what division we will be recruiting for until May, and if it’s the playoffs, June. And I would expect that if we fail to go up, we will sack Moore. Which then means a manager may not come in until late June or even July. That gives us 6 weeks to identify and sign 10-15 players assuming no contracts are offered to any of those who are leaving.

For me, we’d almost have to write off next season and focus on the following season.

I appreciate it is all it’s, buts and maybes at the minute, but, it’s a monumental rebuild that has to be done to get the right type of player in that lowers the average age. The players they have signed will get better, ours won’t.

When I look at Barnsley, Ipswich and Plymouth. They have built long term. We have brought good players in, but they have a short shelf life and failure to go up this season means they are a year older, more prone to injury and have even less of a sell-on value.

The analytical provider I sometimes subcontract for is already providing info to out of work managers so that they can hit the transfer window running if they get a job. They're targeting certain clubs they think they'll have a chance of getting in.  'off the shelf' club squad assessments are big business at this time of year. 

I think taking the emotion out of it if DM got us 84 points last season and let’s say 90 odd points this season that will be pointed at as decent and a careful what you wish for type comment as in other circumstances that gets you promoted eventually.

But unfortunately there is a lot of emotion at the moment. Had we had this rough run in Nov and Dec like last season and we’re pushing for top two now like Barnsley (who are now lauded but still haven’t caught us…yet) then the opinion of Moore would be more positive as we reach the last few games. I think it is how the season is most likely to end on a catastrophic failure and capitulation, unless we creep up via playoffs or a miracle happens for autos, could make him staying very difficult and he might not even want to. He could cite his points total here to other teams after all.

If we part ways then I’d like to see Duff on the list of candidates as he has an edge to him whilst being down to earth. Nathan Jones seems to struggle away from Luton but there is that parallel with Sturrock leaving Southampton that just gives me a hunch he could be ok. Ian Evatt is solid at this level but I don’t think he’d want to come!

In terms of cheaper options then Leam Richardson has experience of promotion from this league although I wasn’t that impressed with Wigan. Valerian Ismaël is out of work and his direct style would suit the players we have contracted and he’s familiar with England and the area. Mark Kennedy has that Lincoln team really difficult to beat and could take the next step soon. Although unlikely to be on DC radar without a promotion or playoff push.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheExile said:

I think taking the emotion out of it if DM got us 84 points last season and let’s say 90 odd points this season that will be pointed at as decent and a careful what you wish for type comment as in other circumstances that gets you promoted eventually.

But unfortunately there is a lot of emotion at the moment. Had we had this rough run in Nov and Dec like last season and we’re pushing for top two now like Barnsley (who are now lauded but still haven’t caught us…yet) then the opinion of Moore would be more positive as we reach the last few games. I think it is how the season is most likely to end on a catastrophic failure and capitulation, unless we creep up via playoffs or a miracle happens for autos, could make him staying very difficult and he might not even want to. He could cite his points total here to other teams after all.

If we part ways then I’d like to see Duff on the list of candidates as he has an edge to him whilst being down to earth. Nathan Jones seems to struggle away from Luton but there is that parallel with Sturrock leaving Southampton that just gives me a hunch he could be ok. Ian Evatt is solid at this level but I don’t think he’d want to come!

In terms of cheaper options then Leam Richardson has experience of promotion from this league although I wasn’t that impressed with Wigan. Valerian Ismaël is out of work and his direct style would suit the players we have contracted and he’s familiar with England and the area. Mark Kennedy has that Lincoln team really difficult to beat and could take the next step soon. Although unlikely to be on DC radar without a promotion or playoff push.

A very well put together post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

we part ways then I’d like to see Duff on the list of candidates as he has an edge to him whilst being down to earth. Nathan Jones seems to struggle away from Luton but there is that parallel with Sturrock leaving Southampton that just gives me a hunch he could be ok. Ian Evatt is solid at this level but I don’t think he’d want to come!

I doubt Duff would leave Barnsley for us, especially if we're both in the same division. There's also talk of Blackburn being interested if they get rid of Jon Dahl Tomasson. 

Leam Richardson is a shout but has a habit of being abrasive and throwing teddies. 

If Notts County don't make it then I'd be tempted to take a look at Luke Williams.