28 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I doubt Duff would leave Barnsley for us, especially if we're both in the same division. There's also talk of Blackburn being interested if they get rid of Jon Dahl Tomasson. 

Leam Richardson is a shout but has a habit of being abrasive and throwing teddies. 

If Notts County don't make it then I'd be tempted to take a look at Luke Williams.  

Yeah I think really it could be out the frying pan into the fire as most managers at this level won’t be perfect by any means and whether they do any better is anyone’s guess. It would seem like action and admittedly if I was Chansiri I’d have been tempted yesterday but when the head kicks in, it needs some actual consideration of a replacement who wants it 

I'd be taking a look at Liam Manning. Tbf it probably be a bit of a leap for him but he was excellent with MK and lost all his better players. I believe he was being watched for better things at that time.

Plays decent football. Would be a risk and more term project but anything better than the ale house stuff at the moment 

24 minutes ago, Greno said:

I don't get the "sack the manager" bit (Jos, Monk and Pulis excepted). Its the over paid, under worked fuckwits on the pitch that want replacing 

I think you are right, Greno. However, I do believe the manager isn’t helping himself or club with some of the selections and 2D tactics 

25 minutes ago, Greno said:

I don't get the "sack the manager" bit (Jos, Monk and Pulis excepted). Its the over paid, under worked fuckwits on the pitch that want replacing 

In that sense a lot of them are out of contract in a few weeks. So I could see fair amounts of change.

Although in terms of who is on the pitch I think the talk of contract issues is a red herring as many of them have contracts or options and some of the ones out of contract are evidently trying (Paterson Palmer Gregory and Johnson). Dawson, Bannan, Famewo, Vaulks, Smith, Ihiekwe, Bakinson all have contracts next season.

30 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

And, a manager is only as good as who he can bring in both in terms of staff and players. 

Yeah it can be hard to recruit players who can handle it here in L1. We had to out pay low end championship sides to get smith though so our budget isn’t too bad

16 hours ago, TheExile said:

Yeah it can be hard to recruit players who can handle it here in L1. We had to out pay low end championship sides to get smith though so our budget isn’t too bad

"Handle it here" excuse is back again. Winning and its a great place to play. Lose and it's the pressure of Wednesday fans. Utter bollocks and its the same old shite trotted out! Other managers with lower budgets can alter their clubs fortunes. Unfortunately what we had with Darren before is his lack of plan B when he's out thought by other managers and that is back again.

If Moore uses that excuse he can pack his bags and fuck off.

On 17/04/2023 at 11:41, Ozzie said:

"Handle it here" excuse is back again. Winning and its a great place to play. Lose and it's the pressure of Wednesday fans. Utter bollocks and its the same old shite trotted out! Other managers with lower budgets can alter their clubs fortunes. Unfortunately what we had with Darren before is his lack of plan B when he's out thought by other managers and that is back again.

If Moore uses that excuse he can pack his bags and fuck off.

It’s not bollocks though as so many so called big clubs fail to get out the league because when they go away from home it’s one of the occasions of the season and if you don’t play in a manner that deals with it then you lose to some bottom half side or drop points. Derby the same and Ipswich have been here how long? When fans see Barnsley or Plymouth coming to town they know it’s a good side but it’s not the same kind of occasion in my view. That’s why Rotherham and Peterborough are typically made for promotion at this level.

For much of this season we’ve had experienced players simply doing the hard work and winning that battle away but with some of the better players they have made the difference. The ones who are left look to have lost confidence and then waved the flag recently bar one or two. Suspect they will be moved on.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 13:53, TheExile said:

It’s not bollocks though as so many so called big clubs fail to get out the league because when they go away from home it’s one of the occasions of the season and if you don’t play in a manner that deals with it then you lose to some bottom half side or drop points. Derby the same and Ipswich have been here how long? When fans see Barnsley or Plymouth coming to town they know it’s a good side but it’s not the same kind of occasion in my view. That’s why Rotherham and Peterborough are typically made for promotion at this level.

For much of this season we’ve had experienced players simply doing the hard work and winning that battle away but with some of the better players they have made the difference. The ones who are left look to have lost confidence and then waved the flag recently bar one or two. Suspect they will be moved on.

It is bollocks, been hearing it from every failed manager for the last 2 decades. Far too easy to blame the fans than their own inadequacies. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie said:

It is bollocks, been hearing it from every failed manager for the last 2 decades. Far too easy to blame the fans than their own inadequacies. 

I’m not blaming the fans. Playing for Sheffield Wednesday in L1 means the opposition teams raise their game and that’s what they need to deal with to get out the league and that’s what I mean by handling it here. But yes the pressure here is different from fans but that’s not always a bad thing. Players aim to play for those clubs but sometimes realise they’re not made for it ie Owusu!

I do think that you need to be of a certain character to play for us when it goes wrong. And when I think back over the last 20 years, I can’t name many Wednesday teams that had a plethora of leaders in the club.

I would say that perhaps that Sturrock/Laws team in 05-07 had leaders. The team that Megson built had leaders. But since then, and even with Carlos’ team, beyond Westwood, Loovens and Hutch. Not really.

When I looked at this years recruitment, on paper it looked like we might have addressed it. Stockdale, Heneghan, Ihiekwe, Vaulks. All big characters on top of the likes of Liam Palmer, Bannan and Byers. We then brought in Aiden Flint, again, leader.

It’s those leaders who you need to rely on when it goes wrong. However, injuries have robbed us of most of them.

We’ve have had spells where they’ve been booed off at half time, even this season, and some of our players clearly struggle with that.  I think it’s played a major part in the deterioration of the likes of Adeniran and Bakinson, and to an extent, Michael Smith too. 

13 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I do think that you need to be of a certain character to play for us when it goes wrong. And when I think back over the last 20 years, I can’t name many Wednesday teams that had a plethora of leaders in the club.

I would say that perhaps that Sturrock/Laws team in 05-07 had leaders. The team that Megson built had leaders. But since then, and even with Carlos’ team, beyond Westwood, Loovens and Hutch. Not really.

When I looked at this years recruitment, on paper it looked like we might have addressed it. Stockdale, Heneghan, Ihiekwe, Vaulks. All big characters on top of the likes of Liam Palmer, Bannan and Byers. We then brought in Aiden Flint, again, leader.

It’s those leaders who you need to rely on when it goes wrong. However, injuries have robbed us of most of them.

We’ve have had spells where they’ve been booed off at half time, even this season, and some of our players clearly struggle with that.  I think it’s played a major part in the deterioration of the likes of Adeniran and Bakinson, and to an extent, Michael Smith too. 

As I said after that game, Adeniran looked absolutely terrified of our fans behind the goal when he put a knee-high chance over the bar from an angle at Cheltenham. Hopefully his recent goals will have boosted him now.  He defended very well late on at Bristol when we were under siege. 

Btw, in the first minute there, the bloke in front of me bellowed beligerently that Smith was a "lanky streak of piss". Thankfully he was a hundred yards away at the time, pressing. We'd just kicked off, ffs!  

Edited by Owling_Wolf

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Btw, in the first minute there, the bloke in front of me bellowed beligerently that Smith was a "lanky streak of piss". Thankfully he was a hundred yards away at the time, pressing. We'd just kicked off, ffs!  

But Smith is a lanky streak of piss. As am I.

If a Wednesday fan 'bellowed' that at me whilst I was playing for the club, I would simply chuckle. Because it's true.

I can't understand the expected fragility of players nowadays. They're grown men. Adults. If they disintegrate into a sponge due to some 'sticks and stones' terracing shouts then, I'm afraid, they're in the wrong job.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

But Smith is a lanky streak of piss. As am I.

If a Wednesday fan 'bellowed' that at me whilst I was playing for the club, I would simply chuckle. Because it's true.

I can't understand the expected fragility of players nowadays. They're grown men. Adults. If they disintegrate into a sponge due to some 'sticks and stones' terracing shouts then, I'm afraid, they're in the wrong job.

I know that truth is an absolute defence to a charge of slander but that and the height of Smith is not was i was posting about.  Generally speaking the support the other night was good.   At times excellent, (1st minute of second half apart!)  But why would you start your personal support with THAT? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dronowl66 said:

Every team in the world raised there game against Fergies Man Utd for years and they didnt do too bad , If its a mental thing then it should have been addressed by every Manager we have had that has said its a problem . Much as I like Moore I have said it before I will say it again , which of our players have visibly improved as a result of our current coaching set up ? 

Fergies Man U had world class footballers rather than L1 or champ players but we still used to beat them on our home turf as underdog. I think getting 90 points or more shows we are along the right lines but that bad run essentially might have cost us. 

Most of the squad are probably too old to show a big improvement but Windass , Byers have probably played some of their best football under Moore (although I think they are overlevelled). Dele Bashiru improved before downing tools on a contract and Shipston is starting to look ok.  I think game management is the issue with Moore at times 

In isolation if you were told the following we would say DM had done a great job.

87 points with 3 games to play 

Record number of clean sheets

Record number of away wins ??

1 defeat at home

23 game unbeaten run

In reality (hopefully not) it might all be fruitless with a squad in its totality on the decline.   Big decisions in the summer whatever happens.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

7 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Bashiru managed properly doesn't down tools , Shipston has hardly kicked a ball and gets better with every game we lose laughably , Adeniran gone backwards , Bakinson the same , Smiths goal return nothing like previous seasons , Stockdale best keeper in League last year to a calamity this year . Not one player has improved yet we still have a chance of promotion which shows how the standard in this league is utter turd 

Bashiru had the same issues at City which is why he ended up here. I dislike that kind of player where they have the talent but CBA. Way too easy to blame a manager. Adeniran got a pretty bad injury but I agree Bakinson is poor. Smith has had to do a lot of team work and we looked even worse without him in the side recently. Too simple to just look at goals when we have scored so many as a team. 

Stockdale was never actually the best keeper was he it’s always been Cooper but he did play in a miserly team at Wycombe. Anyone seeing Stockdale at the end of last season could see all the mistakes in him. I think his experience and calmness probably attracted us to him but it’s not paid off in other areas. Was slightly gutted when we opted for him as we need a longer term solution.

Shipston has progressed from u21 wilderness to first team appearance so there is some progress there but we do need more. 

In a nutshell even Michael Duff who everyone wants now has not yet overran us and he had a championship team full of younger players to improve. Bolton another side with players to improve but about 20 points off us. Same with derby but they have issues.

If we decide Moore isn’t good enough the replacement needs to get 85-90 Points to even be on a par whilst also rebuilding and getting a younger team. Not an easy task 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul from Wisewood said:

What I don’t get is, ok we didn’t turn up at FG, but to then do it again a few weeks later at Burton..

But, we did turn up for 23 games consecutively. Before that we didn't. 

The season is won and lost, (as JBO said the other day) over 46 games.... And potentially 3 playoff games. 

We should have done better v FGR, but by the same token we should have done better at home v Barnsley, done better away at Barnsley when back to 2-2... Should have beaten Bolton at home when we were ahead and absolutely rocking them. Should have beaten Lincoln. 

There's plenty of occasions when we SHOULD have done better. And that will be the same for every other team in the division.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

But, we did turn up for 23 games consecutively. Before that we didn't. 

The season is won and lost, (as JBO said the other day) over 46 games.... And potentially 3 playoff games. 

We should have done better v FGR, but by the same token we should have done better at home v Barnsley, done better away at Barnsley when back to 2-2... Should have beaten Bolton at home when we were ahead and absolutely rocking them. Should have beaten Lincoln. 

There's plenty of occasions when we SHOULD have done better. And that will be the same for every other team in the division.

Yeah obviously 

what I was on about was the 2 fucking shit performances only games apart , Moore and his band of merry men should have chucked the tea cups at em after forest green to ensure we didn’t get another performance like that this season 

43 minutes ago, Paul from Wisewood said:

Yeah obviously 

what I was on about was the 2 fucking shit performances only games apart , Moore and his band of merry men should have chucked the tea cups at em after forest green to ensure we didn’t get another performance like that this season 

Bolton match killed us. Lost Windass and looked so very very poor 

Wed been so lucky during the run, that it only took a very slight change in luck or performance to send us into a tailspin - was first game since losing Byers for the season.

Is anyone confident we can win any of the remainder 

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 1