The World Cup thread….

I like others gave been really frustrated with some of Southgate approach to games, but I think he has learnt to an extent as we have played more expansive football in this tournament. 

But as Hoyland says, it's that which makes it even more disappointing as if we'd played like that v Italt etc......

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I think Southgate will go. And I’ll think we’ll end up with someone that makes Southgate look like Sir Alex.

Howe won't take it now he's at Newcastle. Tuchel wants another club job, as does Poch. Chelsea could use the opportunity and ditch the Potter experiment if the FA came calling. 

Then you have the last 'golden generation' who failed with England as players and haven't pulled any trees up in management either. 

Brendan Rodgers would be available, as will Klopp at the end of this season 

Edited by Tylluan

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

I’ll reply with this before anyone else does…..

Southgate?

IF there was an obvious English manager to replace him then bye bye

Sadly there isn't anyone that has the requisite experience and success at club level to fill those shoes at present 

Howe needs to get into the Champions League with the Geordies and have a relatively successful campaign if they do ie get out the group 

Potter at Chelsea - not really succeeded as yet 

Anyone else 

You know. I actually don’t have an issue with Rodgers. His sides have historically been good to watch, and he’s done a very good job at Leicester.

I can’t see Howe or Potter taking it unless either of them get sacked.

Poch would be good too, but he’ll get a top European club, and if Klopp goes at Liverpool, he’ll end up at another top club.

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

IF there was an obvious English manager to replace him then bye bye

Sadly there isn't anyone that has the requisite experience and success at club level to fill those shoes at present 

Howe needs to get into the Champions League with the Geordies and have a relatively successful campaign if they do ie get out the group 

Potter at Chelsea - not really succeeded as yet 

Anyone else 

Why does the next England manager have to be English and have a proven club pedigree? On that basis Sean Dyche is in with a shout. 

Southgate had a dismal time at Middlesbrough. 

The FA will look for a brand ambassador with, hopefully for England, a tactical and technical nuance that Southgate doesn't quite have. They won't employ anyone that will cause waves or sulk in press conferences. 

Personally, I'd be asking Southgate to have one more go at the Euro's knowing this will be his final tournament. Then replace him with Steve Cooper who did a fine job with the youth teams before moving to Swansea City.

Perhaps bring Cooper on board the coaching side during the Euro's if we qualify so that he gets the experience there before taking the job on full time

11 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Why does the next England manager have to be English and have a proven club pedigree? On that basis Sean Dyche is in with a shout. 

Southgate had a dismal time at Middlesbrough. 

The FA will look for a brand ambassador with, hopefully for England, a tactical and technical nuance that Southgate doesn't quite have. They won't employ anyone that will cause waves or sulk in press conferences. 

They don't have to be English and from soundings it would appear the FA are pondering dipping the toe in that market again. My comment was more that the times we have had a foreign manager were not a success and not that popular in the fan base. 

Dyche has not been successful beyond keeping Burnley in the Premier League 

The FA will probably offer it to the womens team manager 

11 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Personally, I'd be asking Southgate to have one more go at the Euro's knowing this will be his final tournament. Then replace him with Steve Cooper who did a fine job with the youth teams before moving to Swansea City.

Perhaps bring Cooper on board the coaching side during the Euro's if we qualify so that he gets the experience there before taking the job on full time

cooper the face of english football

The FA need to stop running the England team like a club, in that when a new head coach comes in they bring their own backroom team with them. 

To use France as an example; Deschamps is at the head of a 20 strong backroom team and he's only brought 3 of those in. On the coaching staff he has people who've coached successfully outside of the French domestic game. He has positions on his staff like 'player lead' who's the conduit between coach and players. Marcel Desailly has been player lead since 2017 and Edgar Davids holds a similar position with the Dutch and when Van Gaal leaves he will leave his backroom in place for the next man. 

45 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

The FA need to stop running the England team like a club, in that when a new head coach comes in they bring their own backroom team with them. 

To use France as an example; Deschamps is at the head of a 20 strong backroom team and he's only brought 3 of those in. On the coaching staff he has people who've coached successfully outside of the French domestic game. He has positions on his staff like 'player lead' who's the conduit between coach and players. Marcel Desailly has been player lead since 2017 and Edgar Davids holds a similar position with the Dutch and when Van Gaal leaves he will leave his backroom in place for the next man. 

I'd be more worried about having Bobby Page run my national side than I would the England set up.

55 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I'd be more worried about having Bobby Page run my national side than I would the England set up.

I am worried. 

I want him gone along with Bale, Ramsey and a couple more and a four year plan put in place to build a team around the younger players. Michael O'Neill would have been my first choice but he's gone back to Northern Ireland so I'll take Steve Cooper if he gets chopped at Forest

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I am worried. 

I want him gone along with Bale, Ramsey and a couple more and a four year plan put in place to build a team around the younger players. Michael O'Neill would have been my first choice but he's gone back to Northern Ireland so I'll take Steve Cooper if he gets chopped at Forest

As much as the Welsh hate the English they are happy to play Englishmen and have them manage them. 

How quaint.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

As much as the Welsh hate the English they are happy to play Englishmen and have them manage them. 

How quaint.

Cooper's Welsh. Born in Pontypridd. 

So one of the most successful England youth coaches of recent times, u17 Euros runners up and semi finalists, u17 World cup winners, and responsible for bringing Foden, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Smith-Rowe, Saka into the England set up is Welsh.

He also oversaw a major over haul of England's thinking around in possession-out possession tactics and constructed specific modules for coaching within the National set up which Southgate used in Russia 2018. 

To paraphrase the famous Goodness Gracious Me sketch. Groundwork for England's 2018 run to the semis and Euro 2020 final - Welshman. Overhaul of England's coaching infrastructure after Hodgson - Welshman. Saka, Foden etc coming through the ranks- Welshman. Most successful England coach of the last 20 years. Welshman. 

And let's not forget. Cooper's been mentioned on here as a possible replacement for Southgate. 

And most Welsh don't hate the English, not at football anyway. We laugh when the bigger nation fucks up, in much the same way England fans laugh at Germany for not getting out of the group stage (again). 

Edited by Tylluan

9 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Cooper's Welsh. Born in Pontypridd. 

So one of the most successful England youth coaches of recent times, u17 Euros runners up and semi finalists, u17 World cup winners, and responsible for bringing Foden, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Smith-Rowe, Saka into the England set up is Welsh.

He also oversaw a major over haul of England's thinking around in possession-out possession tactics and constructed specific modules for coaching within the National set up which Southgate used in Russia 2018. 

To paraphrase the famous Goodness Gracious Me sketch. Groundwork for England's 2018 run to the semis and Euro 2020 final - Welshman. Overhaul of England's coaching infrastructure after Hodgson - Welshman. Saka, Foden etc coming through the ranks- Welshman. Most successful England coach of the last 20 years. Welshman. 

And let's not forget. Cooper's been mentioned on here as a possible replacement for Southgate. 

And most Welsh don't hate the English, not at football anyway. We laugh when the bigger nation fucks up, in much the same way England fans laugh at Germany for not getting out of the group stage (again). 

We? You're fucking English.

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

France still having a class starting XI despite all their injuries might have more to do with it than their coaching staff 

I havent really followed the WC as closely as some others but I was thinking about the players that "emerge" at WC's, become stars and get big moves.  I don't really know who those players are this time.  Musiala got rave reviews but went home early, the lad Ramos made a big impact in one game and of course Bellingham, Saka, Foden for England but we knew about those already.  It seems that it's been a WC where the established stars have shown their quality, but then I've probably forgotten someone blindingly obvious just because I haven't followed it in depth!