The World Cup thread….

HoylandOwl

5 minutes ago, Wollongong Owl said:

Fair play Jordan Henderson wouldn't have made my squad never mind starting x1 but that was a bloody good performance. 

Agreed.

Did nothing wrong. As a team, aside from that first 30 mins when we just seemed nervy and not so confident, it was pretty easy. 
The game was won by our midfield. 

Clearly a very tough game but France won't be looking forward to playing England the same as we fear them a bit.

Key for England play on the front foot and with tempo. As soon as we do we look so much better. And even tonight, game won for sure but the last 10 minutes by switching off they had chances, like they did in the first 30.

The French defence isn't that good and Lloris is prone to errors. If we are passive then we will lose 

10 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Clearly a very tough game but France won't be looking forward to playing England the same as we fear them a bit.

Key for England play on the front foot and with tempo. As soon as we do we look so much better. And even tonight, game won for sure but the last 10 minutes by switching off they had chances, like they did in the first 30.

The French defence isn't that good and Lloris is prone to errors. If we are passive then we will lose 

We will if we're passive yes, but if we go 4 it, we will leave space in behind and they are very quick. If I was them I'd put Mbappe upfront. Frighten life out of our 2 slow CBs. But thankfully don't think he will.

Keep same team as tonight, make sure Saka helps out Walker and get Henderson to follow Griezmann and we have a chance 

16 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Just seen that Sterling has headed back to the UK after armed robbers broke into his house while his family were in. 

I am guessing a lot of the England player must pay for security these days, especially match days. You can hardly keep it a secret.

The Ben White one was interesting, if you Google. Not to say its true but one of those that has enough elements to think it might be

3 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

What a talent.  

Imagine if he had been in Wednesdays Academy - would be bossing it in the U23's for us now with his contract expiring in the summer.

Not really, the change in our attitude re integrating young players and their contracts seems to have by passed you though and you stick a not so subtle dig at the club in. 

France are very beatable. The front four is very good. But, midfield, poor, full backs, poor, and not particularly organised. A lot of pressure on Walker and Shaw to deal with Mbappe and Dembele, but, the two France full backs are under even more pressure to deal with Foden and Rashford/Saka.

If he goes 5-2-3, then he’s got to sacrifice Henderson and move Bellingham next to Rice.

I would simply leave the team the same, and MAYBE swap Saka for Rashford, just because he’s a direct runner and will play between left back and left center back.

IF, Bellingham and Foden have control of the game, we’ll win because I have confidence that we can shut down Mbappe with Walker.

9 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

France are very beatable. The front four is very good. But, midfield, poor, full backs, poor, and not particularly organised. A lot of pressure on Walker and Shaw to deal with Mbappe and Dembele, but, the two France full backs are under even more pressure to deal with Foden and Rashford/Saka.

If he goes 5-2-3, then he’s got to sacrifice Henderson and move Bellingham next to Rice.

I would simply leave the team the same, and MAYBE swap Saka for Rashford, just because he’s a direct runner and will play between left back and left center back.

IF, Bellingham and Foden have control of the game, we’ll win because I have confidence that we can shut down Mbappe with Walker.

I certainly wouldn't say midfield is poor.

I'd definitely keep Saka as he's better defensively than Rashford and will give Walker some protection. He'll need it. As I don't think he's fully match fit by looks of it

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

Pick the best joint England France line up and would suggest that there is more England players in it.  Take an on form Mbappe out and we are clear favourites.

5 hours ago, Andyben said:

CAn't see anyting on the normal internet, MK.

You on 4Chan again?

It was a Twitter search last week - as Musk let you back on yet 😃

Lets just say the suggestion that the first EPL player that may come out as gay perhaps quelle surprise may have prior links with Brighton 

Probably more that a grandparent died or summat as the personal issue but who knows 

As was suggested if this hit the media whilst in err Qatar it may have been a distraction. It is simply a matter of time this arises and frankly most football fans will just get on with it 

(ok this may be singing slightly inappropriate songs for a while)  

13 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

He's like a mature man when he's interviewed, too. Very calm and self assured.  I really hope his brother's the same, on and off the pitch.  

I think a lot of Bellingham's approach is down to how Bundesliga clubs manage their kids. There's a 'duty of care' in place with all u21s. Their wages are kept 'on hold'. The accommodation, bills, etc are all paid for by the club and the players get an allowance. If they want to spend big then it has to be ratified. They're initially given club cars, sometimes second hand, and all this is designed to keep their mind on the football and have no distractions. They also have media training and classes on how their actions can enhance or undermined club and league values

42 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Pick the best joint England France line up and would suggest that there is more England players in it.  Take an on form Mbappe out and we are clear favourites.

I genuinely like your optimism. Have to disagree. France are clear fav 4 me. And how many of our players get in there starting 11? I'd say maybe 4.

Having said that, I think we can certainly win but IMO we will have to beat best team in competition 

20 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Giroud is exactly the type of player Stones & Maguire will love to face.

Shouldn't pose any problems, M<bappe will, Dembele wont, neither will Greizmann.

But we'll still lose because the fraud will bottle it

You don't think Griezmann will pose problems ????

We'd be only team in the World Cup that he didn't 

• Like 1

If I’m picking a joint 11, I’m going…

Lloris 

Walker, Varane, Stones, Shaw

Rice, Bellingham

Foden, Griezemann, Mbappe

Kane

You saw the blueprint yesterday from a very poor Poland team. The four that played in front of Krychowiak had a lot of joy and had a lot of ball, but more critically, they kept getting behind the two full backs on multiple occasions with ease. So, if they can do that, what will the likes of Bellingham, Foden and Saka do, especially with Shaw backing Foden up.

Griezemann is playing in an area of the pitch against a very mobile Rice and as has been said, Giroud is the type of player that Maguire loves. The key is going to be about the full backs stopping Mbappe and Dembele. But… I think our defensive unit have more chance of stopping their front four, than they have of stopping ours. Foden and Bellingham should absolutely destroy Tchouaméni, Rabiot and Kounde.

• Like 1

Foden plays wide left for City. It’s generally Silva or Mahrez who play right in that 4-3-3. But, I do think with Foden and Rashford, you can switch them. Whereas with Saka and Foden you can’t.

If he does that play a 5-2-3, then he’s got to play Bellingham next to Rice, and he’s got to throw Shaw up the pitch. Kounde is a center half playing at right back, and he stays at home, Dembele is not interested in anything in his own half. I’d deffo play Rashford in a 5-2-3.

I just think that France are tailor made for us. There’s other teams who I fear more, particularly Portugal and Brazil because they just keep the ball.