The World Cup thread….

If that's France playing in 2nd gear, I'd hate to face them full on. No wonder they're the best team in the world. A sign of a class team playing average and winning with one moment of quality and a stroke of luck. 

A little unlucky there. This loss isn't as hard to accept as the previous 2 losses in the final and semi final. Just not quite good enough 

Tbf Southgate did not bottle the game, but I think we need a more progressive manager to take this group forward to the next level. Though there is no one out there ( who is English) who could do that

Bit like Wednesday getting back to the Premier League,  England winning summat, is something I have resigned myself its not gonna happen innit

4 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf Southgate did not bottle the game, but I think we need a more progressive manager to take this group forward to the next level. Though there is no one out there ( who is English) who could do that

Bit like Wednesday getting back to the Premier League,  England winning summat, is something I have resigned myself its not gonna happen innit

Honestly. What do you mean by progressively? 

2 minutes ago, Andyben said:

No, we're actually not @mkowlthesexynewversion.

We're a far better team than that 

Don't think there is a stand out team at present, so top 8 team could have won it.

Maguire and Stones have not let us down, but that needs to be stronger. Again Henderson can't be faulted this time but an area we can be better in. 

And Kane, is he the centre forward to take us on. Been average at best this tournament.

So the base of a really good side is there but it needs refining 

3 minutes ago, EpworthOwl said:

What's yer nationality Kev?

We were done by officialdom. That first pen if it was Mbappe or Messi its nailed on!

Fookin pathetic reffing as was last night. But that's what exclusively gives you.

English without the 3 Lions blurring my vision. Are you missing the push by Shaw on their player. We got 2 pens, if the 2nd had not been given then you may have had a point.

But let's stop being martyrs. We lost because of 2 moments of real quality and Kane out thinking himself.

So yes I am gutted but we lost a close game of football, there is no conspiracy stop trying to find one 

Absolutely gutted. 
While we got two pens it should have been three. The ref was absolutely shite all the way through, how he needed VAR for the one Kane missed I’ll never know. 
France did what they had to, took the chance when it came. But my god we deserved more than what we got there. 
A proper performance in the second half, we didn’t go out meekly. We went out giving it a right go.

As already said, Southgate didn’t bottle it and we went into the tournament as likely as Qatar to win it after the performances going in. 
Anyone but France to win it now for me. The smug, snidey pricks. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EpworthOwl said:

Honestly. What do you mean by progressively? 

Someone more tactically refined than Southgate when it comes to playing the top countries.

Much better approach than when we played Italy in the Euro finals for sure, but in the same way Moore won't get us automatic promotion, Southgate won't win us a tournament 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

Absolutely gutted. 
While we got two pens it should have been three. The ref was absolutely shite all the way through, how he needed VAR for the one Kane missed I’ll never know. 
France did what they had to, took the chance when it came. But my god we deserved more than what we got there. 
A proper performance in the second half, we didn’t go out meekly. We went out giving it a right go.

As already said, Southgate didn’t bottle it and we went into the tournament as likely as Qatar to win it after the performances going in. 

Take re-assurance we would have lost to Morocco.

Then that would have been really gutting 

7 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Absolutely gutted. 

Southgate bottled it by playing Henderson earlier in the tournament and sticking with him, massive weak link tonight.

He bottled it by sticking with Kane when he's just not got that turn of pace to be a top forward and should have played Rashford who could have stretched opposition defences all over the park.

That's three proper tournaments we've lost due to him

4 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Southgate bottled it by playing Henderson earlier in the tournament and sticking with him, massive weak link tonight.

He bottled it by sticking with Kane when he's just not got that turn of pace to be a top forward and should have played Rashford who could have stretched opposition defences all over the park.

Nonsense to suggest he, or anyone, bottled it tonight

Just now, Andyben said:

We have not had a better chance that's for sure and be interesting if Kane gradually drops down the  pecking order.

I think England need 2 or 3 players to play more regularly in foreign leagues, helped Bellingham develop and I just think more akin to international football

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

We wouldn't. 

That's why we're really gutted. 

We will never know, but there would certainly be nothing more England than beating France and then losing to Morocco.

Not convinced the French will find it at all easy against them 

But tbh England got as far as I expected, so not gutted as we lost to the World champions in a 50 50 game, we played well and  Kane crumbled under pressure at the wrong time. I guess social media is hammering him for missing

15 minutes ago, Mark said:

Nonsense to suggest he, or anyone, bottled it tonight

He did. 

He put the anchors on Walker (best RB in the world for the past 5yrs plus)  to deal with Mbappe which nullified our right as an attacking threat, Saka had to change his game to accommodate that. 

If he'd have played a midfielder with legs in place of Henderson, Walker could have attacked more often

Subs were too little too late.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

We will never know, but there would certainly be nothing more England than beating France and then losing to Morocco.

Not convinced the French will find it at all easy against them 

But tbh England got as far as I expected, so not gutted as we lost to the World champions in a 50 50 game, we played well and  Kane crumbled under pressure at the wrong time. I guess social media is hammering him for missing

Yes I tend to agree we got as far as I thought. I think I'm more gutted because we actually played better than I thought and possibly could have won. Fine margins. 

France will beat Morocco. They have that look about them that they will slways do just enough 

1 minute ago, Andyben said:

He did. 

He put the anchors on Walker (best RB in the world for the past 5yrs plus)  to deal with Mbappe which nullified our right as an attacking threat, Saka had to change his game to accommodate that. 

If he'd have played a midfielder with legs in place of Henderson, Walker could have attacked more often

Subs were too little too late.

I agree with midfielder with legs. But who?

Mbappe was by and large, quiet for s reason and Saka had a good game. Not sure why took him off

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

I agree with midfielder with legs. But who?

Mbappe was by and large, quiet for s reason and Saka had a good game. Not sure why took him off

We are missing a world class player in there. Build around Bellingham for sure, sadly look around the centre mid positions in the top 6 of the Premier League and there ain't many to choose from

The spine is the weaker element of the squad and where we need to improve for the next tournaments

Looking at what was available, we could have put Dier central and had Rice where  Henderson was, or matched them up at 4231 with those two holding and Bellingham central which would have kept Rabiot and Tchouameni busy (and starved Greizman).

I would love to see Foden and Bellingham either side of Rice though - which would have meant Rashford starting.

France would have shit themselves 

Sterling coming on and crossing from deep, maybe 15 yards inside their half showed a real fear.

A good game of football with both teams trying to win

Great ball in for the winner

England missed a pen to equalise

No need for any more psychobabble. Things just happen, you don't have to find a narrative after the event

If the first pen had been given we wouldn't have got the other two we did get as those incidents would not have happened

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

We are missing a world class player in there. Build around Bellingham for sure, sadly look around the centre mid positions in the top 6 of the Premier League and there ain't many to choose from

The spine is the weaker element of the squad and where we need to improve for the next tournaments

Pep will have Foden playing there within two years, like with Iniesta.

All this “he should have played this player here, moved this player there” is just bollocks.

You can bet your last pound that if Southgate had done that then the same posters would have been calling him an idiot for doing so.

Simple fact is we were unlucky tonight. A close game in which we were the better side, but didn’t win.

It happens sometimes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I don’t think we bottled it either. The fact is that they took the chance. Although I’ll still say it and always will. Their first shouldn’t have stood. 

I missed the match 'in transit' and have just seen "their first", although only from one angle. I'd day you're bang right.  

4 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

If you haven't learned in your many decades so far that being a Wednesday fan and an England fan is destined for misery then you never will

I can’t disagree with that. My lad blames me for making him support Wednesday and follow England. It is a miserable existence 

7 hours ago, cheat said:

All this “he should have played this player here, moved this player there” is just bollocks.

You can bet your last pound that if Southgate had done that then the same posters would have been calling him an idiot for doing so.

Simple fact is we were unlucky tonight. A close game in which we were the better side, but didn’t win.

It happens sometimes.

Really.

I may be wrong (I'm not) but I've been very consistent in my thoughts about Southgate and his team selection since 2018, along with my thoughts on what the XI ought to be.

I want England to win every game and every tournament but they won't with that fraud in charge as evidenced persistently since Russia.

He's a failure and a fraud and at no point deserved to take over the men's team.

I thought Southgate got everything right last night. We were the better side by quite a margin. It all boiled down to a couple of very questionable refereeing decisions and a missed penalty. We created the better chances, we had more positive possession and in good areas, our creative players played well.

When we lost to Croatia and Italy, I thought he bottled it. This World Cup, he has taken the brakes off and we have looked better for it, and the more we keep that approach the better we will become.

All we’ve got to do is look to get some coverage for Harry Kane, but other than that, the squad is there.

Massive kudos to Maguire and Stones, who have answered a lot of critics. Henderson was excellent, and that 3 behind Kane caused chaos. And those three are all kids.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I thought Southgate got everything right last night. We were the better side by quite a margin. It all boiled down to a couple of very questionable refereeing decisions and a missed penalty. We created the better chances, we had more positive possession and in good areas, our creative players played well.

When we lost to Croatia and Italy, I thought he bottled it. This World Cup, he has taken the brakes off and we have looked better for it, and the more we keep that approach the better we will become.

All we’ve got to do is look to get some coverage for Harry Kane, but other than that, the squad is there.

Massive kudos to Maguire and Stones, who have answered a lot of critics. Henderson was excellent, and that 3 behind Kane caused chaos. And those three are all kids.

This is pretty much where I am. And probably why I was so gutted.

I’ve had a real malaise over England this last couple of years, the friendlies and the Nations League shit performances didn’t help. 
As you say KL, aside from the US game where we seemed too ‘safe’ and predictable, it’s been a decent World Cup until we went out.