The World Cup thread….

On 15/12/2022 at 09:49, bricat said:

Not the usual profile of a World Cup Finalist goalkeeper

Emiliano Martínez

ARGENTINA

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2012–2020 Arsenal 15 (0)
2012  Oxford United (loan) 1 (0)
2013–2014  Sheffield Wednesday (loan) 11 (0)
2015  Rotherham United (loan) 8 (0)
2015–2016  Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan) 13 (0)
2017–2018  Getafe (loan) 5 (0)
2019  Reading (loan) 18 (0)
2020– Aston Villa 89 (0

Saw him in goal at Hillsborough back then in the 4-1 win v Brum.  

Now he's got another big win to look back on.  Congrats to him on that.  

Anyway another World Cup ends and in footballing terms in the main it has been a good watch. 

Be interesting how much the next one is Americanised and whether that gets the same level of criticism. Irony being it will probably be hotter weather wise than this one in some venues. So I think the football benefitted as a result 

51 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Didn't have you down as a fan of Napoleon though 

The last time we had an issue with the French Owling was just a nipper and ABBA got a new song out of it. The Argies and their drugged up little geniuses both happened in my lifetime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

For all you celebrating Argies win.

HMS Sheffield says fuck you 

Sunk by a French made Exocet missile fired from a Dassault Etendard, by aircrew trained in its usage by the French.  In a war started by a military dictatorship, which had a habit of killing its critics, that was overthrown soon afterwards.

It was a crazy game that last night wasn’t it.

France looking down and out. Mbappe not in the game, then one rash Argie decision and it all changes. 
From then on. Wow. What a game it was. 
You just couldn’t take your eyes off it. That save from Martinez in the 3rd minute of stoppage time at the end. Fantastic. Make himself big, threw out a leg, did what was needed. Then of course his shithousery in the shootout, throwing the ball away etc 🤣

Choosing a winner before hand was just like choosing which sauce you want on a dog shit sarnie. But as a game. Unbelievable in the end and a fitting way to end a World Cup.

It does pain me that it’s been such a good World Cup and FIFA can have a brag about it, and continue to ignore everything else around it. But for anyone who loves football, it’s been class. 

It's fucking December.  

It has completely jacked up club football - the football that actually matters, by the way - all over the world.  It's been two fingers up to football fans and football culture everywhere.  I love football, but it strikes me as having been the very antithesis of class.  

Admittedly, quality levels on the pitch are lost on me, as I haven't watched a minute of it.*  Nor missed it.  Fuck off, FIFA.  Seriously.  

*ok, that bit was a lie.  I saw one game (USA V Iran).  It was just enough to remind me that I didn't give a shit.  

Think there’s a case for holding it mid season from now on.. the football was better then past WCs what I remember, assume as players weren’t fucked after a 60 game season.

Also guess keeping all games close location wise better for players than them flying in and out for games with all the extra travel.

people slagged off the Qataris and rightly so but the yanks have some weird laws too, not to mention the cartel problems in Mexico and Canadians well they’re just fucking strange

i wasn’t bothered before the WC this time around but it’s been one of the most enjoyable I can remember 

I'm all for holding it again mid season but only if it's run along the same lines as the African Cup of Nations, which has gone back to being held in January, where the league continues as normal. 

Most of the PL has been off playing 'friendlies' while the world cup has been on so just carry on with the league. I'm sure Sky and BT (and whoever else wins the next contract) would love domestic football to continue. 

17 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I'm all for holding it again mid season but only if it's run along the same lines as the African Cup of Nations, which has gone back to being held in January, where the league continues as normal. 

Most of the PL has been off playing 'friendlies' while the world cup has been on so just carry on with the league. I'm sure Sky and BT (and whoever else wins the next contract) would love domestic football to continue. 

But therein lies the issue.

The teams won’t want to continue playing, with the top sides losing their ‘stars’ for a month. 

However, what I think they should do is what they used to and do in the EFL further down the ladder. If your squad has lost 3 players you can request a postponement. Maybe up that to 5 in the Prem?

Otherwise, play on. 

15 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Can someone explain to me how Salt Bae got his hands on the World Cup? Why didn’t one of the players just slot him?

It was off enough having Aguero running round with it, although I do understand him being involved.

He ran on didn't he and just pestered the hell out of Messi, who did his best to mug him off, but it didn't work. 

Argentina had their own security team on the pitch but, apparently, no one knew if he was part of the official delegation so he wasn't twatted. 

12 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Infantino is now talking about holding the World Cup every three years, according to some media reports today.

Just do one you absolute melt!

Infantino needs to piss off and shut up.  Btw the Turkish celebrity chef who somehow managed to gatecrash the winning team’s celebrations…he’s a mate of Infantino.

Sunday was brilliant, but it was a complete one off.  One of the all time greats finally winning the World Cup in the twilight of his career, in what should’ve been a comfortable win, but turned into a crazy, life and death barnstormer.  The stars were aligned.  I doubt we’ll see anything quite like that again.  It was a terrible decision to hold the World Cup there, glossed over by the standard of what was served up on the pitch.  Anyone who wants to do it more than once every four years needs a slap.

• Like 2