2022/23 Wednesday transfer thread...

Reesh

7 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

What if their strengths need us to play different ways? 

Don't really need to. Wilks also had 9 assists and his created chances (resulting in an attempt on goal) percentage was 78%. 

Both would be accommodated by 4-2-3-1 (the way Warne set Rotherham up for most of the second half of last season) where Windass or Bannan could play in the centre of the 3. Or 4-2-2-2 where the middle two go wide and Gregory and Smith can both play up top. Means no room for Bannan though as the two defensive mids would have to be solid workhorses.

@Andyben

23 hours ago, Andyben said:

Smith and Wilkes scored 43 goals between them the last time they each played a full season in this division.

We don't need a new striker, we need to play to their strengths 

Only just seen this and I couldn't agree more. I've said as much on another thread. 

Edited by Skamp

'A bit sad'

That's the reaction from a 'fan pundit' on Football League World on the potential of Paterson moving on. 

As I've said before, his endeavour and effort are certainly endearing. But.... A bit sad if he goes. Really????? It'll be the right move for all parties IMO.

He'd go to a club who wants him, he will go with a thank you for your sterling effort from us, and we all move on. 

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Could he be any good though Ty?

Heckinbottom and Geary both don't want him at the club but there'll be at least a 20% sell on clause added to any move. 

He was training with the first team back in April and the thinking is that's where his delusions of grandeur started. Slapped a transfer request in when he wasn't given a squad number but got shipped out to Scarborough and lasted 4 games before they kicked him back. 

He's one of those players that can look amazing at his age level and maybe he wasn't cut out for the slightly more agricultural National North. He does have a trick or two and his preferred role is as a deep lying 10. Scarborough stuck him wide. If he was at a bigger club then maybe more people would have noticed him but he's equally as likely to have big things said about him then drop off the face of the earth when his academy days are over. 

I'd take him if we had a proper B team set up rather than the 21s. That way we could have seen how he'd adapt to playing against older players without taking a gamble on a first team shirt. If he comes and we stick him in the 21s then we'll probably have the same problem as them down the road. 

• Like 1

Still not convinced that as a striker, we have someone who actively keeps trying to go in behind. Windass and Wilks want it to feet, Smith is a target man, Gregory will go in behind but he’s missed a few.

If Paterson is going, I’d rather us go and get someone who wants to chase and go over the top to turn people around. We have too many players who want it into feet as forwards. I think that resolves our midfield issues as it puts less reliance on them having to open someone up with magic, which is largely what Bannan and DB have to do.

8 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Still not convinced that as a striker, we have someone who actively keeps trying to go in behind. Windass and Wilks want it to feet, Smith is a target man, Gregory will go in behind but he’s missed a few.

If Paterson is going, I’d rather us go and get someone who wants to chase and go over the top to turn people around. We have too many players who want it into feet as forwards. I think that resolves our midfield issues as it puts less reliance on them having to open someone up with magic, which is largely what Bannan and DB have to do.

Tend 2 agree with this. At times I've been bit critical of Windass as I think he is much better than this standard and he hasn't always shown thst 4 me. Although that's not entirely down 2 him.

He has pace,he showed that under Pulis where he played as a lone striker and did well tbf but I wouldn't class him as out and out striker.

5 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

"Wednesday aren't expected to have a massively busy transfer window"...err we might need one. If McGuinness gets recalled that leaves us with Iorfa and Famewo at centre half, neither of whom has an injury record that inspires any confidence.

Dunno if McGuinness can be recalled….

We had scouts at Sincil Bank for the Everton Papa John's game. 

Everyone reporting we're looking at Tom Cannon but 6' 5" centre half Reece Welch was also on the radar. Just signed a massive deal till 2026 and Everton have a lot of faith in him. 

Likes to stride out with the ball, when he can, and can pick a pass so fits Moore's criteria for a centre half.

23 hours ago, Tylluan said:

We had scouts at Sincil Bank for the Everton Papa John's game. 

Everyone reporting we're looking at Tom Cannon but 6' 5" centre half Reece Welch was also on the radar. Just signed a massive deal till 2026 and Everton have a lot of faith in him. 

Likes to stride out with the ball, when he can, and can pick a pass so fits Moore's criteria for a centre half.

Can Cannon play Ball?   👀