2022/23 Wednesday transfer thread...

Reesh

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The only "positive" in the McGuinness news is that its being flagged on the 6th Jan and not 6pm on the 31st Jan 

Disappointing but its the way of the world with loan players 

We always knew it was possible, even more so once they got hit with an embargo, the sad bit is even if we wanted to sign him they would be loathed to sell as they couldn't use any fee.

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Jay Glover joins Gainsborough Trinity on loan for 3 months.

Speaking of Trinity…. Ex Owl, Liam Waldock is flying for them, scored 14 goals so far this season. 

Said at the time he joined them that Waldock was too good for that level. 

But he went where was wanted and felt comfortable. Maybe his current form gets him an upward move, if he wants it. 

4 hours ago, Reesh said:

We always knew it was possible, even more so once they got hit with an embargo, the sad bit is even if we wanted to sign him they would be loathed to sell as they couldn't use any fee.

My point is its part of football, i am sure some are bemoaning why there was a release clause. Not grasping that on occasions we would be delighted not to be stuck with a dud or that it was always part of the negotiation ie we would not have got him in the first place if we had to strike that out 

Fuck all you can do 

Lets be honest - you could guarantee if we bought him, within 2 weeks he would be frigging injured and out for 6 months 

• Like 1

DM was asked quite a lot about potential transfers by the press. Played it just right, tell them what he wants them and other clubs to hear.

It sounds like they've got an eye on some players.

Interesting response when asked about Wickham. I wonder if there is a chance he could come here IF Paterson does go North? Probably not but would make some sense because Id assume we are expecting some cash for Paterson which might give us room to sign a better calibre of centre half whilst presumably getting Wickham at a reasonable rate (Im guessing will want a signing on fee), although I also wonder if Ipswich and Plymouth will be sniffing around him.

Re the Paterson situation, whats that all about? Either DC is talking to them and not told DM (I cant see that) or they are flying a kite, which is what it sounds like based on what DM said.

Still makes me laugh (in a 'this is ridiculous' way) that we couldnt find a centre half for £5M back when we signed bloody vAken, surely there were McGuinness and Storey type players about back then, even if we were looking for more of a finished product, but no we signed a bloody biscuit man that turned like the Titanic.

At the end of the day, we are only going to know about a new player when its announced and not before, as weve said before.

12 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

DM was asked quite a lot about potential transfers by the press. Played it just right, tell them what he wants them and other clubs to hear.

It sounds like they've got an eye on some players.

Interesting response when asked about Wickham. I wonder if there is a chance he could come here IF Paterson does go North? Probably not but would make some sense because Id assume we are expecting some cash for Paterson which might give us room to sign a better calibre of centre half whilst presumably getting Wickham at a reasonable rate (Im guessing will want a signing on fee), although I also wonder if Ipswich and Plymouth will be sniffing around him.

Re the Paterson situation, whats that all about? Either DC is talking to them and not told DM (I cant see that) or they are flying a kite, which is what it sounds like based on what DM said.

Still makes me laugh (in a 'this is ridiculous' way) that we couldnt find a centre half for £5M back when we signed bloody vAken, surely there were McGuinness and Storey type players about back then, even if we were looking for more of a finished product, but no we signed a bloody biscuit man that turned like the Titanic.

At the end of the day, we are only going to know about a new player when its announced and not before, as weve said before.

We couldn’t find a centre back because the man pulling Chansiri’s strings back then, wasn’t aware of him or, more likely wasn’t about to make as much money out of it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Forgive me for being a bit dumb here but "officially" he's there player so how can they not recall him due to the ban they are currently serving? 

tbh if they cant recall him and we manage to keep him that would be huge.

However, I suspect it might increase the chances of them selling him and you'd think there would be some interested parties out there at Championship level. Its whether they could command a fee that matches his potential which might open the door for us.

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Just a bump…. I’d appreciate thoughts on this. For me it seems bonkers!

Off ya pop Fiz. Adeniran had more about him when he came on. 

Let him go in January with a healthy sell on clause. If he chooses to sign a pre-nup and wait the season out then he's still young enough to play in the 21s and that's where he stays. If we're desperate I'd rather give Shipston the shirt than anyone who's mind is elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Off ya pop Fiz. Adeniran had more about him when he came on. 

Let him go in January with a healthy sell on clause. If he chooses to sign a pre-nup and wait the season out then he's still young enough to play in the 21s and that's where he stays. If we're desperate I'd rather give Shipston the shirt than anyone who's mind is elsewhere. 

When Dele-Bashiru is on it, there is nobody in this division that can get anywhere near him, thing is we haven't seen him do it on a consistent basis that we need.

Thought he looked totally dis intrested against Newcastle, personally think he's off & his agent has "got in his head"

3 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Just a thought but could we throw a cheeky bid of £500,000 Cardiffs way for McGuinness considering the predicament they are in? Be nice for us to take advantage instead of other teams taking advantage of us for once....

They have no reason to accept the bid

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Just a thought but could we throw a cheeky bid of £500,000 Cardiffs way for McGuinness considering the predicament they are in? Be nice for us to take advantage instead of other teams taking advantage of us for once....

Cardiff's embargo has nothing to do with being skint it's because they won't pay the fee due for that lad who died in the plane crash. Won't rather than can't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Just a bump…. I’d appreciate thoughts on this. For me it seems bonkers!

It's probably just a routine thing for such as them.  He's the right age and available for free or for a nominal amount soon. Background? Came up through Man City.  What does he do well?  **Watches video with multiple spectacular goals and player shouldering big blokes off of the ball.  Bits showing doziness and being caught in possession do not feature.**

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Just seen some other bits about it… Hopefully there’s a replacement ready if he does go

Yeah he’s called Connor Wickham.

Puts tin hat on. I’m not asking for him to be signed btw. Someone will probably say he’s already signed for Plymouth or someone. 😀

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Tank

If Cardiff sell then they can't spend the money in this window. 

Think it was Reesh who said the same in an earlier post. 

Agree. Wasn’t particularly thinking then spending it, more just managing cash flow which could be an issue this close to the pandemic close down. 
I agree there’s not much in it for them.

Maybe we will get him back, please let it be so, be another boost.

16 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Agree. Wasn’t particularly thinking then spending it, more just managing cash flow which could be an issue this close to the pandemic close down. 
I agree there’s not much in it for them.

Maybe we will get him back, please let it be so, be another boost.

Not half. 

Does anyone know how player registrations work?

Presumably, McGuiness is registered with SW until it’s transferred back to CC. But if FIFA/EFL won’t, yet, allow CC to register him, doesn’t he remain, technically, our player until a decision is made in their favour and the paperwork is approved by EFL, even though he might be training with Cardiff’s squad?

So if decision is made after January…
Decision goes our way: he’s stays registered with us. 
Decision goes against us: it’s too late for his registration to be transferred to CC. It stays with us.
Either way, CC can let MM resume back at SW or have him spend 5 months twiddling his thumbs. Surely, they’d rather he played and was paid by us?

So would another three weeks of FIFA/EFL procrastination work in our favour?